RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Forager? I don't freaking know man. I couldn't help thinking about @Cassylvania while playing. They love farming games and there's quite a bit to chew on here. I also thought about them again thinking back to how they got screwed over on the Indivisible DLC. The actual base game itself is a blast and comes at your hard and fast. If you're willing to wade through the waters of the convoluted path for those two glitched trophies, you have a tremendous help in this Neoseeker guide that offers you everything you need to complete all of the puzzles. The game is fun for stretches but it also leaves you with a bad aftertaste and some grossness for cheesing a bit and idle farming so you always have your console on to farm more and more gold and resources. You know what? Screw it. I'm going to enter this game into my pantheon of completed games even if the cold record doesn't say so.

That was, um...quite the roller coaster of a review. I think I have a few things I want to say.

First, this game's been on my backlog for a while. It isn't any longer.

Second, I'm reminded of how I feel about Ys Origin (aka the game I refuse say by name in my own checklist thread). You won't hear this from me there, but I've gone back to that game several times since November 2020. Always ends the same. It's not that it's difficult or time-consuming or glitchy -- even though it is all of those things. It's that the game puts me in a terrible mood. I don't like it. I don't like how it makes me feel. It's the one game that truly makes me hate this hobby because I start to ask myself why I'm even doing this. People ask me how I can stand stuff like DQH2, which should by all accounts be one of my most miserable platinums, but hidden behind all that anguish and admittedly overblown anger, I enjoyed my time with the game. Even Deiland and Maneater, which were terrible games and caused me physical pain, didn't make me feel hollow inside. I do not think it's worth finishing Ys Origin because it's the closest I've ever gotten to quitting this site and trophy hunting altogether.

Third, I came to grips with what Indivisible did to me very quickly. I remember very distinctly seeing the DLC trophies appear shortly after I finished the game, betting to myself that one or more of them is broken (I do this every time a DLC drops), and just accepting that the game will never be patched after the studio collapsed a few weeks later. It was right at the start of the pandemic too. I just kinda took that to be the way that it is. Not every game needs to be 100%. Part of what I enjoy -- and maybe you and most of us here -- is the journey from the start of a game to wherever we decide to stop. Trophy hunters just stick with it a little longer and put a little more effort into it than the average player. But when you start feeling like it is a waste of time and you're just going through the motions, that's when I think we should all draw the line. If anything, I'm kinda thankful for Indivisible. I don't know if I would feel differently if it was another game that ended my potential for a 100% account. I got lucky that it was a game I thoroughly enjoyed and platinumed before I started hating. I know it's not a skill thing or a time thing that's holding me back, like you could argue with YO. It's just bad luck. Or maybe it's good luck. I'll take it either way because I don't have that shadow hanging over me anymore. Three years later, I'm more than over it.

I think you're right to end it where you did. I think that's a better conclusion than forcing something that ultimately wouldn't sit right with you anyway. As the song goes, you gotta know when to fold 'em.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

I've ultimately decided.... no. I DON'T want to do all of that. I didn't want it badly enough. Would I like the green 100% completion on my profile? Of course, it sure as hell looks better than being marked white and looking as if I hadn't finished it. But... I don't care enough. The fire doesn't burn bright enough within me to put myself through all that. 

Good for you, it's important to be able to draw the line. When we obsess over details like that, especially when we know it'll make us miserable, we're taking this shit way too seriously. And that's when mafuckas get burnt out? So I'm glad your inner gamer came out on top over your inner trophy hunter, if that makes sense!

5a4604ed-ed9f-4952-9587-0f1ea44cd535_tex

All in all, I felt decent about the performance and if I had to give myself a statline for the evening like an MLB pitcher, I went 6 innings, gave up 3 earned runs, got 8 strikeouts, and walked 3 men on base. 

Modern day Kershaw right there.... ????

As this girl is giggling up a storm at the crescendo climax of some idiotic story of mine, I felt awful. Whatever nebulous fog that had clouded my judgment for the day finally cleared and I was hit with the realization smack of a bowling ball what I had just done. I had just used this shy, quiet woman for my personal gain. I did not actually like her. I did not want to pursue a relationship with her. All I wanted that evening was some attention from a pretty face and someone to laugh at my jokes to soothe my ego and make me feel good about myself. Due to the manner with which I initiated the hangout, if this girl were to develop feelings for me, I'd have to explain: "oh yea I was never interested in you that way I was just bored on a Friday and wanted someone to entertain myself with." I felt gross. I felt like a monster. The night petered out and I've made no further contact since aside from thanking her for her time and company the following morning. 

There's a difference between making a mistake and utilizing that self awareness to do better and a pattern of selfish, mean-spirited behavior, so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much. That voice in your head saying "Uh oh, oh no we're doing a bad thing, ABORT ABORT" says a lot. I think, at least - though my track record has a similar blemish on it as the one you describe, so that could just be something I tell myself!

Now I've got a freakin ethical crisis. GREAT, REALM. THANKS A LOT.

Anyway yeah, definitely no Forager for me. Thanks for the head's up!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 6:47 PM, realm722 said:

Been an up-and-down week for me but I've got some pretty neat games on the docket. Oh, and how about them CANES BABY!!! FINAL 4! (gotta celebrate now before we lose by 28 to those monsters from UCONN)

That game was pretty entertaining and it felt closer than the final score to be honest. Refs let them play so that was fun. I've watched Uconn all season and they seem unconscious right now. They are fully capable of losing badly, so I don't want to jinx them before Monday night....but they have so many weapons and their defense has been suffocating. When Sanogo hit those two threes at the beginning of the game, I thought it might be a long night for your Canes. First Final Four in their history though so nothing to hang their heads over! Should be a fun game on Monday night! 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, Cassylvania said:

Third, I came to grips with what Indivisible did to me very quickly. I remember very distinctly seeing the DLC trophies appear shortly after I finished the game, betting to myself that one or more of them is broken (I do this every time a DLC drops), and just accepting that the game will never be patched after the studio collapsed a few weeks later. It was right at the start of the pandemic too. I just kinda took that to be the way that it is. Not every game needs to be 100%. Part of what I enjoy -- and maybe you and most of us here -- is the journey from the start of a game to wherever we decide to stop. Trophy hunters just stick with it a little longer and put a little more effort into it than the average player. But when you start feeling like it is a waste of time and you're just going through the motions, that's when I think we should all draw the line. If anything, I'm kinda thankful for Indivisible. I don't know if I would feel differently if it was another game that ended my potential for a 100% account. I got lucky that it was a game I thoroughly enjoyed and platinumed before I started hating. I know it's not a skill thing or a time thing that's holding me back, like you could argue with YO. It's just bad luck. Or maybe it's good luck. I'll take it either way because I don't have that shadow hanging over me anymore. Three years later, I'm more than over it.

I think this is an incredibly healthy mentality to have and I am in 100% agreement with you. I am quite thankful that I have all those NBA2k games from my sports-exclusive gaming days just because I could never even entertain myself with the possibility of keeping together a meticulous perfect 100% list. I think it's noble accounts that decide to go down that route but there's so many pitfalls that you could create for yourself to ruin the enjoyment. 1) The pressure of ALWAYS completing every game and ensuring every one you play is beatable for your skill level which means you may take games you enjoy off the table. 2) A hesitancy to play new titles out of fear or DLC or glitches. 

Very appreciative of the detailed response. Had no idea that Ys Origin made you feel that bad either. Keep it in the past!

On 4/1/2023 at 8:01 PM, YaManSmevz said:

So I'm glad your inner gamer came out on top over your inner trophy hunter, if that makes sense!

Lowkey Smevz that's kinda poetic and I never actually made the distinguish between the two until I read that. Thank you!

On 4/1/2023 at 8:01 PM, YaManSmevz said:

5a4604ed-ed9f-4952-9587-0f1ea44cd535_tex

Okay but I actually REALLY need to thank you for including this gif. I didn't get the reference and searched the clip on YouTube. I thought what i saw was pretty funny so I decided to watch the full movie on Netflix for the first time. That is the hardest I've laughed at a movie all year. I had seen gifs of the movie and references to a young Chris Evans but never actually SEEN the movie. There are a few jokes/bits I didn't care for (mostly the poop jokes) but holy crap I was in STITCHES over the "SHE'S GOT A GUN" 10 Things I Hate About You parody as well as the incestuous sister and the way she moans "only by blood". Never even had the movie on my radar but it's probably my 2nd favorite of all I've seen this year (after No Country for Old Men)

20 hours ago, Briste said:

That game was pretty entertaining and it felt closer than the final score to be honest. Refs let them play so that was fun. I've watched Uconn all season and they seem unconscious right now. They are fully capable of losing badly, so I don't want to jinx them before Monday night....but they have so many weapons and their defense has been suffocating. When Sanogo hit those two threes at the beginning of the game, I thought it might be a long night for your Canes. First Final Four in their history though so nothing to hang their heads over! Should be a fun game on Monday night! 

We had our chances man... so many things we left on the table. Offense got off to an atrocious start like we did vs Drake. We survived that game cuz of the full-court press totally discombobulating them. In the 2nd half vs UCONN we cut it to 8 and 10 but just couldn't get that extra oomph. We missed SO many layups and Sanogo is a monster while that annoying dumb mountain Clingan literally towered over our entire squad. I can't be mad. It was a great run and I fully expect the Huskies to seal their 5th title tomorrow night (prolly by double digits). You're 100% right about them looking unstoppable as based on what I've read, they started the year insane, got tripped up by the Big East schedule, but everything out of conference has been themf easting. I'll take some small pride in knowing we've lost by the fewest points to them compared to anybody else all tourney ?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Okay but I actually REALLY need to thank you for including this gif. I didn't get the reference and searched the clip on YouTube. I thought what i saw was pretty funny so I decided to watch the full movie on Netflix for the first time. That is the hardest I've laughed at a movie all year. I had seen gifs of the movie and references to a young Chris Evans but never actually SEEN the movie. There are a few jokes/bits I didn't care for (mostly the poop jokes) but holy crap I was in STITCHES over the "SHE'S GOT A GUN" 10 Things I Hate About You parody as well as the incestuous sister and the way she moans "only by blood". Never even had the movie on my radar but it's probably my 2nd favorite of all I've seen this year (after No Country for Old Men)

Hell yeah, I'm so glad to hear that! I actually thought you were subtly referencing this movie when you mentioned that "put glasses on her so nobody notices she's hot" nonsense. Goes to show how well Not Another Teen Movie eviscerated that trope!

I rarely like these kind of movies anymore, but I've always loved this one. It's even funnier now to think of where Chris Evans has gone in his career to see him here as a baby with a banana in his ass??

• Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 2:12 PM, realm722 said:

Game: Forager (Featuring a Philosophical Trophy Nightmare & A Deeply Personal Private Life Anecdote)

First of all, hello! Your trophy cabinet is one of several that I've been reading through over these past few weeks. I've been doing it non-sequentially (a lot of your 'articles' peak my interest, and then I'll randomly read through a few more subsequent posts, haha). I love how you articulate your gaming experiences, and your "monthly" articles (encompassing a huge range of esoteric subjects within the videogame realm) are delightful to read! I really admire your quest to play games made from as many different countries as possible and am living vicariously through your journey (since my backlog is waaaaay too big for me to justify tackling a quest like that anytime in the foreseeable future). On an unrelated side note, as a fellow aficionado of entirely-unnecessary-and-overly-detailed spreadsheets, I'd love to see the Nerd Stats on your "Monstrosity of a Google Sheets Document for Trophy Hunting" (the link from August 2021 says the document is not published). 

On to your recent review of Forager, I really appreciate that you highlighted early on that the game could be dangerous for people with addictive personalities so I knew not to get too excited about the game while I read through your review [though that's not a concern now that I've finished reading it, lol]. I recently started taking medication for (waiting-to-be-officially-diagnosed-as)ADHD and it has been life-changing in so many positive ways, but one downside I've noticed is that I have to be more careful about my hyperfocus with videogames. Which I'll take in comparison to being too overwhelmed by everything to do anything at all, but I digress. I recently played Marvel's Spider-Man, and there were mornings when I would wake up and all my brain wanted to do was get the dopamine hits from getting each district of New York closer and closer to 100% completion. (Thankfully, on weekdays I am pretty good at forcing my brain to ignore the ✨shiny shiny✨ of open-world checklists until after dinner time.) Heck, I'm that person who enjoyed relaxing to Animal Crossing: New Horizons in early pandemic, but one of the ways I "relaxed" with it was slowly working through getting as close as possible to 100% in my Nook's Catalog. The way in which you detailed the addictive loop of Forager told me that *if* I were to play it (had I read a positive review of it from you and/or others), I would have to be very careful to not let it get out of hand. 

I initially wrote a huge, multi-paragraph word vomit here in regards to my experience with the existentialism of trophy hunting. A TL:DR; is that it was much easier for me to grind 10+ monotonous hours of an RPG (and then mess it up and need to play 80-90h in a new save file to get that final trophy for my plat ?) than it was to play the last 4 hours of an 8 hour indie platform puzzler that I was seriously tempted to just quit partway through. The reasoning: I was able to find redeeming aspects of the RPG to lessen the mental anguish of that 10+ hour grind, but could not find any positive elements of the indie game to upgrade it from the mind-numbing slog that it was.

I'm glad that you came to the conclusion that (a) in your heart you've earned the 100%, (b) it's not worth making yourself hate life to get the 100%, and (c) the previous fact doesn't automatically mean you are losing passion for collecting trophies. We have to deal with games that don't respect our time, games with bugs and glitches, games with ridiculous requirements or crazy RNG... and while trophy hunters are better than most at overcoming these hurdles, it's always important to keep within boundaries one can handle so that the passion doesn't turn into burnout and pessimism. 

• Like 1

EGS_WhereTheWaterTastesLikeWine_DimBulbG

Game: Where the Water Tastes like Wine

Analysis: I bought WTWTLW when it was on sale for $3.99 all the way back in mid-November of 2021. That means it sat in the backlog for a year and a half!

Why WTWTLW? So one of the things that can happen when a game sits on the back burner for so long is you can forget the reason you even had for purchasing it in the first place. I'm having a hard time recalling what made this game stand out from others that made me take a flyer on it. At the end of the day, I believe it was some mix of the name sounding absolutely phenomenal (seriously, all those W's and T's bouncing off one another makes it sound like an indie hidden gem masterpiece) as well as the fact it was super cheap during a discount sale and with a reasonable platinum rarity % in the 20's, I figured it was worth a gamble. As it turns out, all that glitters isn't always gold

A Huge DisappointmentYea there's no way I can bury how I feel about the game with any amount of flowery language or digging deep to try and compliment it. I booted up the game and enjoyed my first hour or so with it. The premise is quite intriguing from the outset. You speak with a dire wolf and he tells you that you must become a nomad across the United States of America. Your task is to both listen to stories from townsfolk scattered across the country as well as share some of the tall tales you've uncovered with those willing to lend an ear at various campfires that you can find near many of the major cities. It sounds quite good! There's voice acting. It's done with charisma (except for the fact that female characters in non-character-related interactions are just a guy pretending to sound feminine and it's a bit disorienting given they have female voice actors for all the female characters in the game). The issue is... THAT'S ALL THE GAME HAS. You move agonizingly slow across the US collecting stories, doing some slight choose-your-own-adventure options in those stories, search out campfires, interact with characters telling stories they wanna hear (scary, thrilling, hopeful, funny) and rinse-and-repeat. I am flabbergasted by the fact that... for a video game... this was the end product? I felt like there was some other layer that the game was eventually going to reveal to me to demonstrate how this was supposed to be fun and it never happened. 

A Lack of Gameplay Mechanics - Let's actually break down the mechanics in WTWTLW. 1) Traveling from place-to-place. You CAN walk agonizingly slow to each city in a leisure manner and sort of set your guy off in one direction while you browse Reddit or your phone and that is a justifiable way to play the game. You can hold L1 and have a little rhythm game pop-up with whistling that you can follow to move a bit faster. Your only other methods of travel are stowing away on trains (could lose health), paying for trains to neighboring cities, or using the fast travel function which you can use to travel to cities across the US once you complete the full story of various characters. Exploration and movement is not fun. WTWTLW is NOT a Strand-type video game. I award them zero points. 2) The "survival" mechanics. You must balance rest, money, & health of your skeleton protagonist. If you don't, dying has zero consequences. Rest can be recouped at campsites. Money can be replenished by searching randomly in buildings across the map OR by getting a job in a major city. Health can be replenished via random events or with money spent on items in cities. It is all incredibly shallow and I don't even know why they were implemented in the first place given dying is a minor inconvenience. 3) "Pick-your-own-adventure" story options when hearing accounts across the map. These are fine...? At least they give some player agency. Some of them can be fun (like the never-fulfilled birds where you can feed them like 5-6 times in a row, even sacrifice health as their hunger is insatiable). But by and large, they're just here for some minor flavoring above all else. 4) The Actual Character Pick-Right-Story interactions. In order to "upgrade" your relationship with a character, you need to tell them the stories they wanna hear. You must discern for yourself whether a story is scary, funny, hopeful, thrilling, or sad. OR you can use this steam guide. You can't tell the same character a story twice. But... there's just zero depth here, man. Once I had enough stories in my arsenal that were upgraded (from being told and told again in these interactions), I just repeated the same stories that I knew were thrilling (like the great storm one) or scary (like the winged goat) and would just use the "free space" characters other stories they give you to max out relationships. There was very little thought I put into it and the game never challenged me to rotate stories that I used time and time again on every character in the game. Eventually, the camel's back broke with how disappointing every aspect of the game from a player-interaction perspective was that my experience was beyond soured. 

Is There Something For You Here? - The tragedy about my experience with WTWLW is that... there IS some good stuff here. All the goodness is found in the storytelling and learning about the backstory of the odd crew you discover along the way. Some of the stories were fun and immediately had me captivated, and they're all so brief you briskly move at a good pace from one to the next. In terms of the characters, I liked what I saw from what I experienced. There's Jimmy, a preacher who talks about his military time and how America didn't appreciate him as a black soldier and it meant he was placed under the guidance of the French regiment. It's a fun and diverse cast including Native Americans and hippies. Some of the commentary was poignant. But... I didn't really listen to a lot of it. The game moves so incredibly slowly and with nothing fun for my goopy gamer brain, I just wanted to get through the experience as quickly as possible. I've discovered that I simply don't have the patience for a visual novel-esque experience. I NEED my thumbs to be entertained. I can enjoy story-focused elements in games such as Pyre or Persona 5 when they're a reward for progressing through the game or upgrading a relationship in-between action. I CANNOT really enjoy it if it's the bread and butter of an entire game and it has very little else to offer. This is a significant realization I've had about my gaming habits and I'll keep it in mind going forward when determining whether or not to take a flyer on an indie. 

Would I recommend WTWTLW? Probably not. I'm going to venture a guess and say that I'm far from being in the minority in saying that most players won't have the patience to endure tens of hours of storytelling no matter how great it is. Even WITH good voice acting and spectacular artwork. That being said, if you consider yourself someone who has sat through visual novels and enjoys chewing on a certain atmosphere or era, I think you could enjoy this. @rjkclarke and @DrBloodmoney both strike me as types who could find the GOOD in this title. One other minor detail here that I'll include is that while I found the travel unceasingly dull, it was kinda cool to see all of America scattered out and see how they designed the swamps of Florida juxtaposed against the plains of the Midwest. I discovered Billings is Montana's capital city. It was neat! As for trophies, almost everything in the game is earned by beating the main story. 32 of the 37 trophies are just character-related. The two most random are Carnivale which I earned when I wast at 208/237 stories and Friend of Mine which is a bit weird. I finally encountered the "winged-man" for my 185th story just around San Diego. I found the 2nd half of his story (after increasing its folk status by telling it to a character) in Charleston. Locations are randomized, don't treat my word like gospel. I earned the 23.83% rarity platinum in 3 days and 6 hours. I'm the 21st fastest achiever of All-Time. I think we're in a bit of a gaming rut at the moment. Just gotta push through it.

Panda Score: 5.67 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 3.11 / 10

Spoiler

Date: apr 3rd 2022

• we agree to wager our word in the first encounter with wolf man intro
  • We gotta tell stories for wolf bro across America, fair enough
  • Okay so we start off with the following
  • 3 of Staves (Travel)
  • The Tower (Death, Change Endings, Moving On)
  • Justice (Choice, Morality)
  • The World (Heaven, Desires Fulfilled, Wishes Come True)
  • Wheel of Fortune (Fortune, Fate, Luck)
  • Let’s go with the very first one since that seems intuitive. (3 of Staves, Travel)
  • So we’ve gotta travel, determine what story we’re telling, have a diverse mix, we’re gonna deal with hunger, tiredness, despair, and thirst.. welp
  • We meet Quinn near Boston, got his dogs, doesn’t care for traveling help,
  • QUINN (1ST ENCOUNTER) - He gonna be in New York, told him stories about woman arrested for bootlegging, last bottle of armagnac around Boston, silent taxicab in Boston, elegant woman, light house brothers
  • MASON (1ST ENCOUNTER) - he’ll be by like Maryland or something, bro is depressed, armagnac story, old seagulls and fisherman, bridge workers, and the winged goat
  • QUINN (2ND ENCOUNTER) - Sad John Chapman dog story, thrilling bridge builders, sad street in Washington D.C., scary winged goat, scary creepy mill
  • Welp we died after taking back-to-back train car rides whoops
  • LITTLE BEN (1ST ENCOUNTER) - hopeful brothers who reconnected after so long, mason story funny parts, thrilling massive thunderstorm Charleston, thrilling bridge builders in Phily, Quinn adventures is thrilling
  • JIMMY (1ST ENCOUNTER) - thrilling bridge builders, SCARY pigeon keeper, SCARY creepy mill, THRILLING bootlegger and cops, THRILLING Quinn adventures
  • DUPREE (1ST ENCOUNTER) - SCARY farmers who gave you lemonade, THRILLING bridge builders, THRILLING bootleggers, THRILLING strange stones girl, THRILL Quinn
  • DUPREE (2ND ENCOUNTER) - THRILLING bull terrorized travelers, THRILLING Casey Jones,  THRILLING big bird storm, THRILLING Little Ben story, SCARY killer pigeons
  • DUPREE (3RD ENCOUNTER) - is she a dog now or something? SCARY haunted mill, THRILLING taxi
  • SHAW (1ST ENCOUNTER) - SAD woman executed in Paris, SCARY sugar cane, THRILLING storm
  • SHAW (2ND ENCOUNTER) - HOPEFUL lighthouse sanctuary, HOPEFUL seagull and fisherman, THRILLING magic stones, SAD drunkard
  • ALTHEA (1ST ENCOUNTER) - SAD woman executed in Paris, TRAGIC Dupree
  • CASSADY (1ST ENCOUNTER) - SAD boy with his dog
  • CASSADY (2ND ENCOUNTER) - HOPEFUL brothers reconnect, FUNNY letter delivery woman, HOPEFUL fisherman and seagulls
  • CASSADY (3RD ENCOUNTER) - SAD woman executed in Paris, SAD unemployment, SAD boy in Maine father, SAD Miami despair,
  • FRANKLIN (1ST ENCOUNTER) FUNNY letter woman, THRILLING bridge builders, HAPPY beautiful butterflies
  • FRANKLIN (2ND ENCOUNTER) - HOPEFUL two brothers, HOPEFUL seagulls,
  • RAY (1ST ENCOUNTER) - THRILLING thunderstorm

(I then stopped taking notes and pressed through the rest of the game)

• Like 3

You did it again. You took a game I was considering buying and booted it right off the wish list. Something just didn't seem right about the game from the reviews I was watching. It sounds like they had a good idea in concept, but didn't know how to implement it.

If only there was some game on sale right now that could save you from this gaming rut.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 9:28 PM, realm722 said:

Thank you for the unbelievably flattering words, you're far too kind. I write this entire thread for myself at the end of the day but it's nice to hear that there are others who enjoy what I write and don't mind some of the odd obsessions I end up falling into. As for the spreadsheet, check out THIS link that I've replaced with the old one on the OP. You should be able to view the likes of "Grand Daddy Genre", "Country Counts", "Supreme Studios", etc...

I love when people have seemingly-odd obsessions because they often have really unique insights to pass along! 

Thanks so much for the link to your spreadsheet! I think I'm going to borrow the idea of tracking genre and game studio for my own spreadsheet (which is currently undergoing a massive revision) since I think I know what my preferences are but I'm curious to see if the data corroborates that belief.

Also, I love that Supergiant Games is your most Supreme of Studios! I loved Bastion (on PC) and Transistor so much. Thought about tackling Pyre last week for one of my 2023 Community Challenges but instead jumped straight to Hades because without realizing it I recently hit my 75th Plat and realized there was absolutely no way I could wait to play it for Plat 100 - considering I've been wanting to play the game since the day it was announce-launched, which was such a wild moment to watch live. (Unless I leave myself one trophy to do a few months from now? #TrophyHunterProblems, lol.)

• Like 1

Oh, wow - even the trophies themselves are really pretty!

You make me almost want to play this game, especially since I've really played the genre before myself! The hour-long runs is definitely a bit of a downside... I'll definitely keep this game in mind if I end up doing a future community event that requires a beat'em up plat!

I'm going to cover the full continent in an upcoming article and discuss the successes and failures,

I can't wait to read your review/analysis of your gaming experience with the continent! I'm confident you are planning on discussing things I wouldn't have anticipated (which is always a delight in my opinion), but I'm also curious to see if you've noticed any development trends in your sampling pool.

• Like 1

Wow, that Uruguay website is awesome! It's a shame more countries don't have one. I mean, obviously USA and Japan wouldn't need websites, but I would love the ability to search for games from a country (especially with a platform filter)! 

Thanks for giving us a 'tour' of your South American video game experience thus far!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Lair of the Clockwork God? A conservative yesI think the fact that half the game is dabbling in point-and-click adventure mechanics is what has held the game back from receiving mainstream appeal. Unless you're Return to Monkey Island or Grim Fandango, good luck getting anybody's attention or isn't on the ground floor trying to uncover new enjoyable indies. I'm glad Cassy sent it my way as it wasn't on my radar whatsoever and I enjoy sampling games that poke fun/comment on games as there's always more to dig at on that front. I've already hit my games quota for April which is good as I'll be away for a few days. Kinda tempted to start up Invisible Inc. Let's see if I have the cojones to do so. 'til then!

Yeah, one of the reasons I tried to push this game so hard is because it's so niche. Obviously, as someone who grew up with point-and-clicks in the 80's and then gravitated towards platformers in the 90's, I felt like it was the kind of game that was made for me and my generation, but even the comedy was something you don't really see in most games today. I don't know what impact the "glitch" had on you (and I was purposely vague about it in my review), but I still think that was one of the cleverest meta jokes I've seen in a video game. A lot of the other jokes were hit or miss, but I feel confident in saying that LotCG was one of the easiest games for me to recommend, even if it isn't in my top 10 or even top 100 favorite games. Whether anybody will appreciate it is another story.

Invisible, Inc. is not bad. That platinum has no right being as rare as it is.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now we're both stuck with Invisible, Inc. clogging our rarest trophies list for the rest of time.

It's been so long since I played, but I think your thoughts echo my own. It was fun figuring out how to break the game, and it was fun breaking the game, but it gets pretty old once you reach the point where all challenge is removed. You're right that the rarity should probably be attributed to the time to platinum, not the difficulty. You'd need to first be patient enough to learn the game and finish a few runs, and then be patient enough to do that repeatedly.

• Like 2

I too first heard of the game from DrBloodmoney, and his review instantly grabbed my attention. I skimmed through most of the second half of your review (minus the final section) since I plan on playing the game myself. I now feel a lot less intimidated for whenever I do tackle the game, though!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, realm722 said:

3057307-invisibleinc_promo.jpg

Game: Invisible, Inc

Analysis: I bought the game when it was on sale for $4.99 back in early March 2023... ladies and gentlemen, my rarest trophies cabinet looks very different now!

Getting Over The Scary <0.50% Platinum - I am not someone who considers myself a very good player of video games. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad either. But you can absolutely tell the difference between a player who instantly has a better grasp of a new environment and mechanics compared to those of us who will struggle greatly until really beating out heads against it in order to get it down pat. If you look at my rarest platinums, by-and-large, they're sports games. Madden & FIFA's. I grew up on those games. While they may be intimidating to non-sports gamers, I'm so familiar that all notions of their difficulty fall by the wayside. I know the lay of the land and thus, to this date, I'm a Top 10 both first and fastest achiever of a 0.78% rarity FIFA 20 platinum. But away from sports games? Woof. I become a lot more cowardly. Furi/Jotun as boss rush games? They kicked my ass, but I persevered. Unravel Two? I had to make it my 100th platinum. Ash of Gods? My love for the grid knows no bounds. But all those games were >1% plats... Invisible, Inc is another realm of unventured territory. 0.42%? You kidding me? You're telling me nearly 55,000 users with PSNProfiles accounts attempted the game (or at least booted it up), and less than 250 actually have the platinum? Nonetheless, I took the leap. In no small part due to @Cassylvania insisting to me that the game had no business being as rarely rated as it was. I come to you all nearly 60 hours later with the affirmation that yea... it probably shouldn't be that rare. Doesn't mean it was easy though!

I'm glad you got out of your comfort zone and gave a try to a game that you initially thought was hard haha. I always felt like you were giving too much thought into rarities as a whole. A lot of these games aren't as intimidating as they may look. I grabbed Invisible Inc. when it was on sale a couple months ago too, but I'm in no rush to get it done since it's single player only haha. Your review was a good read tho and gave me a good first look into the game ?

Hope you're more confident in giving a try to the OlliOlli games now ?

Edited by PlutoRico
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I'll also concede it's probably one of the more forgettable titles I've played this year and by December during my 2023 GOTY Awards I'll probably say to myself: "oooooh yea I DID play that game lmao"

Panda Score: 6.27 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.48 / 10

...I played it four months ago and completely forgot it existed. What a weird little game. I still think, conceptually, they had a good idea. I want to see more games embrace that "sketchbook" art style. I don't know if this one is on your wish list, but I've been keeping an eye on RPG Time: The Legend of Wright, which looks like a much better game (or at least more fleshed out). If it gets below $10, I might give it a try. If you don't beat me to it first.

• Like 3