RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

Wow you were really close with a lot of those scores!!

I agree: such a shame about Redfall. I thought that the criticisms of Deathloop would result in a bounce back to universal praise, but it turns out that it was a Redflag all along. :eyebrow: [came up with that pun literally halfway through that sentence]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

nba_preview-clairvoyant_bill_slide.jpg

How Accurate Were My Metacritic Predictions for the Biggest Games in 2023?

YtRvYLq.png

oh yeah i forgot we did this, but it's fun looking back at it but i am still at least slightly disappointed with my teenage brain at getting some of these ridiculously wrong (oh yes Zelda will be a 76 because nintendo always screws up lol, as if this was the 3DS and Wii U days). you know what let's look at my predictions and see why these were horribly wrong (or die of cringe beforehand. Who knows)

DISCLAIMER: Not played any of these games yet so can't say for personal experience

Hogwarts Legacy

61 because I dont have faith what's that supposed to mean? i guess i thought it would score low because i am not a potter fan i don't know really, should had predicted much higher

Atomic Heart

85 for some reason, i actually can't remember the reason for most of these games, in retrospect i probably should have predicted way lower 

Wo Long

Ah yes my favourite indie game Wo Long Falle  dynasty, it's like the there Wo long game but not really. joking aside, i mean 71 wasn't the end of the world it's still a fine score but i mean come on i should have expected more

Crime Boss: Rockay City

80, ok this was definatly a oh hey this looks cool i bet it will get great reviews sentiment, i like the idea of being a mafia boss but it seems that this game was quite bad

Jedi Suirviour

why did i put this at a 74? i guess because it's a ea game and ea can be pretty bad at times, but it seems like this game actually was good (marring the technical problems at the beginning)

Redfall

70 - No just No, i guess because op had put as a high score i don't really know, the less we talk about it the better

Tears of the kingdom

76 - ah yes nintendo will screw up, yeah like it was the days of the 3DS and Wii U fool. Seems like a great game, not a zelda fan though so won't comment on it

Final Fantsey 16

85 - Holy hell, i was pretty close. My thoughts when making this i'm pretty sure was that oh hey it's a FF game it's gonna review well. I'll take the win here fella.

StarField

79 -  not far off but still lost because @realm722 happened to basically get it, not sure why i put this as a 79 maybe because big business is screwing off customers and tht the game won't be finsh day 1 so here's a 100gb patch or something i don't know

Spiderman 2

84 - not sure how i thought something mid 80's would be a GOTY contender but ok, honestly i'm pretty glad it scored a 90 it sounds like a fun game, insomniac definitely knows what they are doing

as for the delayed ones:

Sucicde Squad: 61 - if there's anything i learned from the past few years it's that everyone even the crtics hate live service games and i think this is a live service game so yeah it will probanly be a mid 60's to a low 70's in my opinion

Silksong: 91 - considering hollow knight was well recvived, it's likly that this will be even better then the orginal and be a GOTY contender.

Unlike Op and @Platinum_Vice i did a couple other because why not and the results are:

The Crew Motorfest: 67, if scores 75+/ have a green score i would be amazed - 76, ok higher then i was expecting, i think i scored it low because Ubisoft has a reputation for meh games

Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown: Got delayed so maybe next year

Ufc 24/fifa 24: 67 because ea - 75 ok i was close, i am pretty sure i put 67 because ea had lost the license so it would be a bad game because everyone realised that ea was having mircotransactions which would lose their appeal because they don't have the fifa license. Still with me? anyways pretty close

anyways a good mini event Op, even if some GOTY tier games like Pikmin 4 (one of the best games of the year IMO) wasn't included, can't wait for 2024! :) 

• Like 2

Small ramble about the "I Just Didn't Get It" Award Winner -

I hadn't heard of ICEY before, but boy howdy did this part of the game summary on its Steam page just completely turn me off:

ICEY is a Meta game in disguise. The narrator will constantly urge you in one direction, but you must ask, "Why? Why am I following his directions? Why can't I learn the truth about this world and ICEY's purpose here?" Fight against his tyranny, and uncover what's really going on for yourself!

I get that it's trying to be meta and quirky - and other parts of the game summary do that. But wow, way to remove any vague sense of uncertainty or suspense about the story's narrative. Feels very patronizing in a "developers think you're too stupid to realize the meta aspects if they don't tell you" manner, versus how games like Stanely Parable are confident enough in themselves to be meta and trust that we'll pick up on it.

Most Innovative:

I meant to reply to your review of Hypnospace Outlaw a few days ago, but life has been hectic. And then you go on to bestow it with this award! You've definitely sold me on this game, even though I skimmed past a lot of your "Favorite Pages" section for until after I've played the game. Honestly, even the 'warning' about us as the player essentially turning into a data archivist has me intrigued by how wacky and different this game is. (Plus, whenever I get around to it, I'm kind of excited to see which references I'll spot - Geocities? AIM? They've *gotta* include an homage to the Space Jam website. So many possibilities!)

Best Boss & Soundtrack & Gameplay:
Hmmmmm. Perhaps Neon White will go on my list of games to enjoy without trying to Platinum. Everyone who has played it is always lauding the game, and your recommendation to play it even if speedrunning doesn't sound like one's forte is starting to convince me...

Overall:

I'd probably have a much longer comment if I had played more of the same games as you this year. A good number of them are in my backlog though, so it just makes me more excited for when I get around to them. (By the way, I just completed Banner Saga 1 and had a blast with it! Though I was super tempted to just move straight on to BS2. 😂) I was also glad to see Inscryption win something in your Award list, despite Neon White being such a heavy hitter. 

I look forward to seeing the games that you play next year! The "you think you'll like them" ones, the experimental ones - anything and everything! Finally, I think it's awesome that you've realized that you are potentially placing too much emphasis on trying experimental games/games to check countries off the globe/etc. Personally, this year I focused a ton on the "20 hours or less to platinum" games from my backlog, allowing longer games to take up a much larger proportion of the backlog. Sometimes balance is hard to find, but we can't get closer to reaching it without awareness.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

Best Game: (Dicey Dungeons, Inscryption, Neon White, Nobody Saves the World, Return of the Obra Dinn)

There was no doubt! I know how much you loved Neon White!!

Hey it's a shame that you weren't as happy with 2023's holistic experience versus 2022 and 2021's amount of great games. You still played some winners though!

I think I said this last year: some of your categories are some really good ideas. BEST ANIMAL WHAT yes that sounds great.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I definitely have Curious Expeditions 1 and 2 waiting for a good sale. They just have to wait in the queue behind The Banner Saga though.

See you in 2024!

• Like 2

Why the hell did I get the @ treatment from a checklist that I've loved and respected for two years running?? Bunch of BULLCRAP!!

Fantastic work, my G! Got me so intrigued to play Neon White now, as well as joining Doc and Vice in encouraging me to see what the fuss is about Inscryption (and Obra Dinn, for that matter)! I am bummed that I contributed to your "I Just Didn't Get It" category tho😂

EDIT: I forgot to add this, but yes to the movie list!! Do it do it do it!!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll have to say, this year you really played some crazy unique games :D covering a game from every country sure unearthed some hidden gems ! (and ehm...Aztech Forgotten Gods. Still annoyed that that one sucks).

Congrats for a bountiful 2023! Neon White sure looks like a decent game now :lol: 

14 hours ago, realm722 said:

Best Woman: (Archive Prisim from Invisible Inc., Empress of Time from Cris Tales, Nayra from Tunche, Red from Neon White, Helpful Witch from Yaga)

10/10 agreed, that moment when you accidentally add a badass character in your little chill game :D 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 3:26 PM, pelagia14 said:

I get that it's trying to be meta and quirky - and other parts of the game summary do that. But wow, way to remove any vague sense of uncertainty or suspense about the story's narrative. Feels very patronizing in a "developers think you're too stupid to realize the meta aspects if they don't tell you" manner, versus how games like Stanely Parable are confident enough in themselves to be meta and trust that we'll pick up on it.

Yea.... the game isn't very subtle in its one trick either. It's not a bad time, there's a reason I still scored it a 6/10, but it's funny how with time a game like Aztech has aged more favorably in my memory than ICEY.

Best Boss & Soundtrack & Gameplay:
Hmmmmm. Perhaps Neon White will go on my list of games to enjoy without trying to Platinum. Everyone who has played it is always lauding the game, and your recommendation to play it even if speedrunning doesn't sound like one's forte is starting to convince me...

Until I see some people around here start playing Neon White it's the game I'm going to be insufferable about for the next year. It's that good. I promise you. Once you get a hit of that nicotine you're going to want to dabble of speedrunning. Heck, even if the "full game no death" run sounds like a nightmare, you can still get 80%+ of the trophies in a relatively stress-free manner.

Overall:

I'd probably have a much longer comment if I had played more of the same games as you this year. A good number of them are in my backlog though, so it just makes me more excited for when I get around to them. (By the way, I just completed Banner Saga 1 and had a blast with it! Though I was super tempted to just move straight on to BS2. 😂) I was also glad to see Inscryption win something in your Award list, despite Neon White being such a heavy hitter.

Congratulations on the platinum! It is far from a walk in the park and to do so in less than a week is mighty impressive. The fact you had a blast with it is reassuring. I know I first got hooked on it from Cassy/Briste but to see it still have such an impact with new players nearly A DECADE after its original release(2014) is comforting! Also, I 100% wouldn't have allowed Inscryption to go award-less. Too great of a video game and one that has successfully been a huge hit with a lot of the checklists around here!

On 12/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I definitely have Curious Expeditions 1 and 2 waiting for a good sale. They just have to wait in the queue behind The Banner Saga though.

I have no doubt that one day I'm going to have a severe itch to check out Curious Expedition 1. The only thing I fear is the grind. Fastest platinum completion is 2 weeks and all the rest are over a month. But the curiosity of seeing how much they expanded upon the original will undoubtedly keep me entertained. I'm happy to see my Banner Saga praise seeds finally taking root in so many of y'all. Just uhh... don't forget that Shadow Tactics either. That's a Cassy GOTY!

On 12/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Fantastic work, my G! Got me so intrigued to play Neon White now, as well as joining Doc and Vice in encouraging me to see what the fuss is about Inscryption (and Obra Dinn, for that matter)! I am bummed that I contributed to your "I Just Didn't Get It" category tho😂

I am 98% positive you're going to love both those games. Especially Obra Dinn. I honestly haven't met a person online who hasn't enjoyed it and lemme tell you, that is HARD to find nowadays. As for Stick It to The Man don't sweat it lmao. Honestly, in terms of games in that category this year, there were hardly any standouts that I truly felt guilty for not enjoying.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:43 AM, Copanele said:

I'll have to say, this year you really played some crazy unique games :D covering a game from every country sure unearthed some hidden gems ! (and ehm...Aztech Forgotten Gods. Still annoyed that that one sucks). Congrats for a bountiful 2023! Neon White sure looks like a decent game now :lol:  10/10 agreed, that moment when you accidentally add a badass character in your little chill game :D 

It's funny. I was disappointed on Aztech when I reviewed it due to the wasted potential but as time goes on, I like it a lot more now. Probably because I've forgotten about all the overly long cutscenes and bad combat but the movement was fun. I KNOW you don't play platformers Copa but just uhh... look at some Neon White footage. Can a first-person perspective change your mind?

On 12/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, YaManSmevz said:

EDIT: I forgot to add this, but yes to the movie list!! Do it do it do it!!

Literally, all I needed was one person to give me the green light for some motivation. I just spent the last 20 minutes cackling at actually having to decide some brutal categories between the 200 movies I've seen this year. Should be a fun final post of the year and maybe it'll be a wonderful last hurrah before I reveal my absolutely psychotic movie opinions to you all.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, realm722 said:

I KNOW you don't play platformers Copa but just uhh... look at some Neon White footage. Can a first-person perspective change your mind?

The fact that "I will finish Mirror's Edge this year, I swear guys" started to become a running gag kinda shows how good I am with the first person perspectives 😂

Game looks fun though so....a big fat MAYBE is all I have for now 😅

• Like 1

8c33a3526a8f10667ee7ef0ea2c99b48.jpeg

RealM722's Movies Watched in 2023 Year-In-Review

BONJOUR MES AMIS! I have returned with a special non-video game treat! Apart from video games, I am quite a huge fan of movies. I know, shocking. There's hardly ever if any much crossover when it comes to those sorts of interests. In 2023, I have seen more movies this year than any year prior in my life. Typically, I like to set myself the goal of watching 10 or so movies a month. This averages out to 1 about every 3 days and over the course of a full 12 months gets me around 120 which is about what I have averaged from 2019 to 2022. In 2023 for whatever reason, I blew past that barrier and shot all the way up to 200. There are a few small caveats. For example, Movies #2 (5 to 7) and #23 (Before I Fall) are INELIGIBLE for this year's awards as these are movies I loved and REWATCHED this year. There are also a handful of seasons of television interspersed here and there but as I barely watch many series, I just toss them in with the movies and call it a day. Here are the rankings!

pOIeq1i.png

WOW! I am stunned that I found a pretty decent method to contain all 200 movies in a legible format that doesn't make this post unbearably long. I should quantify my rankings as I do with games. 9.0+ rated movies are the elite of the elite. These are movies that I watched and loved. When I finish watching the movie I am almost flabbergasted that something like that could even be created. I go digging for other opinions and research on the film. My reviews are typically 800+ words which is a lot for a movie. 8.0+ rated movies are fantastic films. I really enjoyed the, they may have a characteristic or two that I wasn't vibing with too much but on the whole I would recommend them to just about everyone. 7.0+ rated movies are arguably the most interesting to talk about. (I'll have a more elaborate post on how this applies to games as well in a latter post). Typically they have an "it" factor that I find appealing and yet have enough elements that prevented me from truly loving it. 6.0+ rated movies are... just alright. Usually, if you score a 6, I'm not going to be itching to rewatch the movie. It may have missed the mark with me. OR it may be something that I just thought was a passably good time and don't have a strong opinion on either way. 5.0-rated movies are ones that I found something to dislike. Thankfully, there are barely 10 of these this year as I was pretty great with selecting movies that I thought I would enjoy. Contrary to what I'll present myself as in this award show, I am not the God of All Movies. Hence, when you see the Super Mario Bros Movie rated higher than 2001: A Space Odyssey, I'm not really trying to argue that the former is superior to the latter. I will tell you that I enjoyed the former more. We'll get into why as the awards progress. Let's get on with them!

Most Watched Dir.         Most Watched Act.      Mesmerizing Woman        

B2AScr9.jpg --- Jx4us1E.jpg --- GOvHbp8.jpg

Nominations

Most Watched Director: (Akira Kurosawa, Denis Villeneuve, Quentin Tarantino, Stanley Kubrick, Yasujirō Ozu)

Most Watched Actor: (Al Pacino, James Caan, Keanu Reeves, Sylvester Stallone, Toshiro Mifune)

Mesmerizing Woman: (Andy Allo in Upload, Chel in Road to El Dorado, Kyōko Kishida in An Autumn Afternoon, Pam Grier in Jackie Brown, Sydney Tamiia Poitier in Death Proof)

Analysis: Allow me to explain those first two categories. Every year, I try to give myself the goal of becoming familiar with a type of cinema or era that I'm honestly not all that familiar with. It offers a fun element aside from just watching movies and allows me to round out the overall scope of my interests and tastes rather than just watching contemporary American directors from the last 30 years. I am happy to say that I have immersed myself in the waters of Akira Kurosawa's filmography and have come out refreshed on the other side. This dude is legit. I've seen 6 of his 30 movies this year. I'm saving a few special ones in the tank for the years to come. As for actors, for as tempted as I was to double-up on old Japanese cinema and give it to Toshiro Mifune, I've gotta say, I didn't realize that the most prolific Al Pacino performance I had watched prior to this year was THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Yea... all I knew was screaming overacting Pacino. Imagine my shock when I went back and watched the two original Godfathers, Scarface, & Heat this year. This man is one of the greatest living actors of our time. He's just held on to the point that rather than aging classily like... Anthony Hopkins, he went just a bit off the deep end in the late 90s and hasn't really bounced back with an elite, serious performance since. I'd probably lose my damn mind after not winning Best Actor for Michael Corleone too if I were him. Finally, we get to my favorite category of these entire awards. Every now and then you'll stumble upon a movie and scream out: "WHOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS SHE??????????????" as your eyes do an AWOOGA BOOGA motion and pop out of your skull. If 5 to 7 and Before I Fall were eligible, both Berenice Marlohe and Zoey Deutch would crack this list. Sadly, they're ineligible. So I went through the tape. Andy Allo in Upload is a freaking babe and when she dolls herself up in a dress towards the end of S2 for the first time all series I wanted to eat my fist. Chel from Road to El Dorado is a well-documented case of being most men's first realization that cartoons are freaking hot. I went back and watched it and couldn't believe my eyes. Kishida in An Autumn Afternoon is on screen for all of 5 minutes and her cheekbones make me want to kill myself. Sydney Poitier is a total babe in Death Proof. But the cake goes to another Tarantino film star. MAMA PAM GRIER. Gooooooddaaaaaaaaaaamn. She's good-looking that whole movie. But when she busted out that red dress? I was shook. I discovered from Google that searching "Pam Grier Red Dress" reveals even more elite performances in filmography from the 1970s in Blaxploitation films. Let's add those to the list for 2024!

Worst Movie                       Worst Actor                   Worst Actress

CNSGkuS.jpg --- wyI51VB.jpg --- W5M3xUf.jpg

Nominations

Worst Movie: (Brian's Song, Now You See Me 2, White Men Can't Jump 2023, Wonder Woman 1984)

Worst Actor: (Jack Harlow in White Men Can't Jump 2023, James Caan in Brian's Song, Joaquin Phoenix in The Master)

Worst Actress: (Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman 1984, Sofia Coppola in The Godfather Part III, Storm Reid in Missing)

Analysis: I don't like to dwell too much on the negativity so let's be quick through these. Brian's Song is a made-for-TV special and despite having star power such as James Caan and Billy Dee Williams it comes across as so amateur hour that I couldn't help but think the actors were on something during filming. Imagine my shock when a year later James Caan is out here acting his ASS off as Sonny Corleone in The Godfather. Now You See Me 2 is somehow stupider and worse than the original in every way and that is SAYING something. White Men Can't Jump was somehow as bad as the critics said it was. But only one film can take the cake. What the hell happened with Wonder Woman 1984? I was watching the movie on the side while playing Dogurai and all I could think to myself was laughing at how oddly atrocious the film was. YOU'RE JUST GONNA POSSESS THAT MAN DIANA? When freaking Kristen Wiig is out here saying "Can't let you do that Diana!" I had flashbacks to Starfox "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT STARFOX". Pedro Pascal is overacting in a manner that is both hilarious but also makes me question how the hell he got cast for The Last of Us series. It's bad, but it's honestly so bad it's good and I still recommend watching it. Especially if you've traveled to Washington D.C. as I did this year the movie is amazing for remembering some of the sights visited. For Worst Actor, I'm sorry Jack Harlow. I honestly kinda liked your latest album that nobody listened to called Jackman as I was in a bit of an f-boy era but this acting performance was atrocious. The appeal of the original White Men Can't Jump was the charming dynamic between Woody Harrellson and Wesley Snipes. Harlow and the black dude in this movie have the charm of a wet paper bag. Finally, for Worst Actress, I still cannot get Sofia Coppola's bizarre performance in TG3 out of my head. Francis my guy.. what the hell were you thinking? WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CAST YOUR OWN DAUGHTER WHO'S NOT AN ACTRESS IN A FILM WHERE THE CENTRAL PLOT TENSION IS THAT SHE'S IN AN INCESTUOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH ANDY GARCIA? HELLO????

Kept Thinking About      "I Just Didn't Get It"             Best Tension            

oRaFZ32.jpg --- Fji20iH.jpg --- z4slXeo.jpg

Nominations

Kept Thinking About: (Barry Lyndon, Children of Men, Draft Day, My Dinner with Andre, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

"I Just Didn't Get It": (2001: A Space Oydssey, Ikiru, Paris Texas, Persona, Rashomon)

Best Tension: (Hell or High Water, Inglourious Basterds, Leon: The Professional, Prisoners, Sicario)

Analysis: The "Kept Thinking About" Award is a special prize I give to movies that while I may not have LOVED, I couldn't help but find myself thinking about extensively afterward. Children of Men's concept alone is fascinating and Clive Owen puts in a worldie of a performance. Draft Day is a delightfully stupid sports drama that anybody who's an NFL fan should watch and enjoy given all of its ridiculousness. My Dinner with Andre is the bold attempt at making a movie all about conversation with an old friend at dinner. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a movie that helped me out of a depressive episode and I'm indebted to it for that fact. While it certainly would have been a worthy winner, Barry Lyndon is Kubrick cooking with gasoline. How the hell does that movie work? None of the actors are SUPER SUPER well known. It's a solid story, the idea of a man's rise and fall, but nothing revolutionary. Yet all the factors come together to make a film where every scene is a canvas and just bodies other historical films from the era out of the water. "I Just Didn't Get It" will be my most controversial award. Sometimes, I watch movies that are highly praised and don't understand why afterward. Ikiru stars Takashi Shimura and while I love Shimara and think he is the SUPERSTAR of Seven Samurai, in Ikiru... I just don't get the fascination. Same thing with Rashomon. Is Kurosawa an absolute baller? 100%. But I think of several of his other movies before Rashomon even pops up and yet people talk about it with this glowing aura that I can't quite connect with. Persona was a total swing-and-miss for me. Paris, Texas picked up towards the end but the slog to get there from the first half of the film was agonizing. Yet here's my boldest take yet. I found 2001: A Space Odyssey boring. Yea yea it has one of the greatest intros ever and transitions from the flying bone to the spaceship. Whatever. Why did it take me 20 minutes to get there with no dialogue? Why is the most enthralling part of the movie (everything to do with the HAL 900) barely even a 40 minutes of the full runtime? Everybody loves to jerk Kubrick off for making distinctly Kubrickian films and yet I think Lolita and Barry Lyndon blow 2001 out of the airlock. Sorry. Finally, for best tension, I had to give it to the movie that had me hold my breath and not even realize 15 minutes had evaporated due to being so glued to my laptop screen. If you're lucky, the best movies will have one of these sequences. Inglourious Basterds has like 3-4.

Best Animated             Best International              Best Dialogue      

FHjyTEc.jpg --- 8tjjJhj.jpg --- Lg9P7r8.jpg

Nominations

Best Animated: (Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie, The Road to El Dorado)

Best International: (Autumn Sonata, Children of Men, High and Low, Seven Samurai, Triangle of Sadness)

Best Dialogue: (A Few Good Men, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, Jackie Brown, My Dinner with Andre)

Analysis: I watched a lot of great animated movies this year. Heck, I'm sure some will be offended by the fact that Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Iron Giant didn't even crack the Top 5 nominations. Those were good movies but the deck was completely stacked this season! We've got two Studio Ghibli's, one Spider-Verse, one hilarious Lego Movie, and DreamWorks production. Here are my takes. The kids are alright by making those Spider-Verse movies as popular as they have been. They're good movies. I'm glad the kids love them. I understand why some base their entire personalities around them because they really are that neat. The Lego Movie had absolutely no business being as good as it was. I laughed a bunch. Remarkably well done and as someone who avoided it when it got the hype way back when I was pleasantly surprised in every way. For as tempted as I was to give it to El Dorado based simply on Chel's hip movements, Howl's Moving Castle is the winner. The music. The plot. The animation. The characters. I'm here for all of it. For Best International Film (outside of the US), I was quite torn. High and Low is a fantastic police procedural drama that will have you on edge and is a fantastic switch-up from most of Kurosawa's lauded samurai films. Triangle of Sadness came out last year from Sweden and blew me away with how good it was. Here I thought it was a simple, tired film of critiquing the rich that rings hollow from a rich studio production and it does much more than that. But there can only be one. Seven Samurai is genuinely one of a kind. I know a 3-hour and 20-minute run time may scare off most viewers. It's worth it. Trust me. You will fall in love with this crew and watching Shimura cook as the savvy veteran leader to  the rambunctious immature Mifune is a treat. Finally, for Best Dialogue, while I liked all those movies a bunch and I find it incredibly revealing that Tarantino has 3/5 of the nominations, Death Proof is his magnum opus. I'm going to avoid spoilers but here's the gist of it. I was watching Death Proof and Tarantino managed to make me care about a group of characters. Something, the multi-million productions will struggle to do over the course of a 2-hour film, he managed to get me to care in all of 30 minutes. Then, this dude, in his genius, manages to screw himself over, and here I am thinking: "how are you going to make me care about the 2nd half of the movie?" and this MF DOES IT AGAIN MAKING ME CARE ABOUT A GROUP OF CHARACTERS IN ANOTHER BRIEF 30 MINUTE BIT. HOW? That's how Death Proof steals this award.

Best Action                     Best Romance                  Best Comedy

xwMmKEC.jpg --- vW800FF.jpg --- s6gjrpg.jpg

Nominations

Best Action: (John Wick: Chapter 2, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, Kill Bill: Volume 1, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Mechanic)

Best Romance: (500 Days of Summer, All I See Is You, A Star is Born, Licorice Pizza, Pretend That You Love Me)

Best Comedy: (Blazing Saddles, Idiocracy, Not Another Teen Movie, No Hard Feelings, Popstar: Never Stop Stopping)

Analysis: I imagine some people are going to want to stone me to death for not making Mad Max: Fury Road my favorite action movie. That movie is phenomenal. It has less than 5,000 words of spoken dialogue and 100% had those bits that just made you hold your breath as the battle car sequences took place. But... while I appreciated it, I myself didn't personally love it. I understood why others did. But it's not my lane. On the other hand, I saw John Wick 2 and thought to myself: "This film understood the assignment of building everything up after the original." Bigger budget, even more ostentatious, it's like the choreographers think: "what would be a badass place to have an awesome action sequence?" and then carry out. I can't wait to watch Chapter 4 at some point in the future. As for Best Romance, I love romantic movies even though my enjoyment of truly great ones is few and far between. I appreciate the non-linear storytelling of 500 Days. All I See Is You is wonderfully messed up after a slow start. Licorice Pizza is the first Paul Thomas Anderson movie I actually thoroughly enjoyed and Pretend That You Love Me is a YouTube movie that perfectly encaptured what all of my dreams are about. But holy crap... that A Star is Born? I remember when it got all that hype back in 2018. I thought people were overrating it because it's a Lady Gaga movie. Hell nah. Genuinely fantastic. Soul-wrenching. I love it when couples fight in movies and damn does it amplify that element wonderfully. Finally, for best comedy, talk about another stacked category. I saw Blazing Saddles for the first time and the humor has aged magnificently. Idiocracy is not a documentary but it is fun nonsense. Andy Samberg's Popstar has one sequence with Akon that had me in tears. No Hard Feelings is GREAT and Jennifer Lawrence pulled off a comedic role that I think shockingly few women in Hollywood would be able to pull off. But the winner, funnily enough, comes from this very thread. @YaManSmevz posted a gif from the movie and my curiosity piqued and I decided to check it out. Janie's Got A Gun made me spit my water out. Masterfully absurd. When Chris Evans' sister is seducing him and he goes: "BUT WE'RE RELATED" and she moans "BUT ONLY BY BLOOD" I had to pause for 5min and walk around because I couldn't stop laughing.

Best Music                         Best Scene                   Best Screenplay

U6DpgRl.jpg --- W0pmehX.jpg --- 2u9Smc7.jpg

Nominations

Best Music: (Amadeus, Barry Lyndon, Howl's Moving Castle, Titanic, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

Best Scene: (Coin Toss in No Country for Old Men, De niro v. Pacino in Heat, Hyman Roth in The Godfather Part II, I'm Not Leaving in The Wolf of Wall Street, Sinking Ship in Titanic)

Best Screenplay: (Children of Men, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Jackie Brown, Jurassic Park, Triangle of Sadness)

Analysis: I am a terrible judge of what makes for a good soundtrack. Thus, the selections here are admittedly pretty obvious and maybe lackluster. I picked movies that had songs that stood out in my memory and the winner of all of these was Barry Lyndon. The classical music sequence is so entrancing that I downloaded it on my phone and play it whenever I want to get into the zone with a certain task. A far more fun category is that of Best Scene. This was arguably the toughest category in the entire list. You have two titans of the gangster genre in de Niro and Pacino finally going head-to-head in Heat. I could have picked 7 different sequences in either of the first two Godfathers but that Hyman Roth rant while rocking his bare chest out still gets me all these months later. "I'M NOT LEAVING" has been gif'd to death on Twitter. I can watch the Titanic collapsing sequence once a week and never get bored. But there's only one winner. I legitimately have that entire Javier Bardem interaction memorized word-for-word and love to reenact it with my sister whenever I find a coin on the floor or in a cupholder in a car. It's the enunciation of certain words. The intensity with which he says: "It's been traveling 2 years to get here, and now it's HERE, and it's either heads or tails, and you have to say call it." It's a masterpiece slice of cinema. Finally, for Best Screenplay, I struggled between incredible concepts (a world where people can't give birth anymore, dinosaurs run amuck in a we-get-too-close-to-the-sun zoo, the wildness of everything in EEAAO) but I settled upon Jackie Brown for the simple fact it's always entertaining to see somebody play two sides at the same time. Will they get away with it? Won't they? It just felt right.

Best Animal                  Best Sup. Actor             Best Sup. Actress  

UwIkC39.jpg --- sPkhKqX.jpg --- c20hpjt.jpg

Nominations

Best Animal: (Dog in John Wick 2, Jonesy in Alien, Pikachu in Detective Pikachu, Rat Willem Dafoe in Fantastic Mr. Fox, Velociraptors in Jurassic Park)

Best Supporting Actor: (Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds, Julius Carrey in The Last Dragon, Ke Huy Quan in EEAO, Paul Bettany in M&C, Robert Forster in Jackie Brown)

Best Supporting Actress: (Debra Winger in An Officer and a Gentleman, Dolly de Leon in Triangle of Sadness, Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, Stephanie Hsu in EEAAO)

Analysis: We've now arrived at the stupidest category of the entire award show. Best Animal. I'll tell you why this is a stupid award. I really struggled with filling out 5 nominees in the first place. My nominations aren't even consistent. Some of these are real animals that can't talk such as John Wick's dog. Some of them CAN talk such as the rat showdown with Willem Dafoe against George Clooney's fox. So I decided to go right down the middle. While I don't like Ryan Reynolds, the idea of a talking Pikachu amuses me all these years later that I found him and his adorable dorky personality endearing in Detective Pikachu despite it not being all that great of a movie. Even more importantly, this two-step dancing sequence is tattooed in my memory. Best Supporting Actor was brutally difficult to decide on. If you've never heard of The Last Dragon, don't worry. Here is the introduction of his character Sho'nuff in the movie which is all you need to know why I love him. Ke Huy Quan deservedly won Best Sup. Actor last year at the Oscars since his mix of playing altering versions of himself is fantastic and he definitely earned it unlike Jamie Lee Curtis who I'm still puzzled as to why she was nominated. Paul Bettany crushes it as Russell Crowe's right-hand man in Master & Commander and never have I felt more seen and identified with in a character than Robert Forster in Jackie Brown. Here is a very typical, decent man who has his life transformed because a fine ass black woman wants him to help assist in the committing of some crimes. Both Forster and myself are FOLDING on all morals in that instance. It's Pam Grier, brother. You CAN'T say no. But as much as I wanted to reward him, the answer's Christoph Waltz. Nobody else could have played that character. For Best Supporting Actress, talk about another tough category. Debra Winger's hips in An Officer and a Gentleman and overall warmth will keep you cozy in these winter months. Meryl Streep as a monstrous executive to Anne Hathaway's innocence is timeless. But I decided to go in a different direction for the award. Never have I seen an actress just be invisible for the first solid hour and 30 minutes just to keep in at the end and steal the entire show like I have with Dolly de Leon in Triangle of Sadness. You're both rooting for her and can't help but think: "this is mad corrupt lmao".

Best Actress                       Best Actor                      Best Director

ad09rFy.jpg --- ikcyZk7.jpg --- KG6aijd.jpg

Nominations

Best Actress: (Cate Blanchett in Tár, Emily Blunt in Sicario, Keira Knightley in Colette, Michelle Yeoh in EEAAO, Pam Grier in Jackie Brown)

Best Actor: (Al Pacino in Godfather, Casey Affleck in Manchester By the Sea, Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, James Mason in Lolita, Takashi Shimura in Seven Samurai)

Best Director: (Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather, Ethan & Joel Coen No Country for Old Men, Quentin Tarantino for Jackie Brown, Stephen Spielberg for Jurassic Park)

Analysis: Here we go. Now we're getting into the juicy awards. Best Actress was tough. Cate Blanchett crushed her role in Tár and it's a movie that while on the slower side is a fascinating character study. Emily Blunt is out of her depth in Sicario and you just want to see her continue to navigate her circumstances as well as possible. Keira Knightley in Colette brings back to the retro-England Knightley from her Pride & Prejudice days but spices it up by going both ways. Yeoh was great in EEAAO but man... it's no contest. Can y'all tell I love me some Pam Grier? I am rooting for this woman the entire movie. She is one of the greatest actresses ever to not even so much as receive an Academy Award NOMINATION. Here I am, rectifying the errors of Hollywood by bestowing upon her the 1st Annual RealM722 Best Actress Award. You're welcome, Pam. Switching gears to Best Actor, you've got Al Pacino who could honestly merit a reward for both performances in the first two Godfathers as some of the best acting ever witnessed grace film. While I acknowledge that Javier Bardem was nominated for SUPPORTING ACTOR at the real Academy Awards, I don't have to listen to that as my guide as I make my own rules here and his terrorizing performance as Anton Chigurh is sufficiently present in the film to receive the nomination. James Mason carries Lolita and his behavior is both mesmerizing as it is horrifying. But... after much consideration, I decided to go in a different direction. While all the nominees were worthy, Casey Affleck's subdued, battling-with-depression masterstroke of subtly in Manchester By the Sea still remains ever present in my memory. The movie's serious tones are evident and yet there's more comedy and laughter here than most comedies released today. If you don't believe me, give it a whirl on Amazon Prime and tell me if I'm wrong. Finally, for Best Director, I struggled greatly with what to decide. How do you distinguish between an amazing director performance and just an amazing movie you enjoyed in general? Then I thought some more about it. Francis Ford Coppola in his early 40s made The Godfather. THAT movie. Which is a banquet of excellence and an ensemble cast of characters from Marlon Brando to Al Pacino to James Caan that... there's simply no rival. How did he make that movie? How did things not implode on themselves beneath the weight of all that was required? There is no other worthy winner.

Best Movie of 2023

2KQM8om.jpg

Nominations

Best Picture: (Everything Everywhere All At Once, Interstellar, Jackie Brown, Jurassic Park, Lolita, Manchester by the Sea, Master & Commander, No Country for Old Men, Seven Samurai, Titanic, The Godfather, The Wolf of Wall Street, Triangle of Sadness)

Analysis: There were a lot of movies I loved in 2023. But there's only one Godfather. I know it seems trite or predictable at this point. Oh hey, the movie you always see in the Top 5 of the greatest movies ever made is your #1 for this year? How cutting edge and insightful. But in case you're reading this and haven't seen The Godfather... just... do yourself a favor and go watch it. There's a reason people still talk about it as one of the greatest movies of All-Time 50 years later. I can't believe all the different personalities at play. The character development. The jarring violence that grabs at your throat out of nowhere. I understand that it's a "dude" movie and quite literally mocked in this year's highest-grossing film Barbie for being a film so beloved by dudes that they'll call over women who haven't seen it to explain the movie to them but guys... it's actually that good. I don't know how else to state it. I really loved Interstellar. I can't believe I didn't have it nominated for any categories before this one. I think Christopher Nolan is a master at his craft and can't wait to see Oppenheimer still. Yet for whatever reason, maybe the film bros anti-Nolan sentiment got to me and it had me reflecting back on it more negatively than I otherwise would have. If 5 to 7 were eligible, I probably would have given it to that over The Godfather for a whole 2,500+ word explanation that I don't dare delve into here. Jackie Brown is probably my #2 movie of the year. No Country for Old Men is my #3 and it's only that low because the violence that Chigurh realizes in the film makes me hold back ever so slightly from jumping straight back into rewatching it. Guys... the man has no respect for door knobs. You have to have limits with rewatching that sort of barbarity.

So there you have it! This was a surprisingly fun write-up. I think I'm going to pose myself the challenge of actually writing out my nominees and adding them to the categories as I watch movies in 2024 as opposed to trying to aggregate everything in hindsight. Even as somebody who writes notes meticulously, some details can slip through the cracks. What are some movies that I barely talked about that I should mention before wrapping up? The Last King of Scotland is really freaking good. I just wished they didn't chop up Kerry Washington in that movie. Finally watching the Back to the Future trilogy was fun. Biff Tanner has a great "The Question Song". Ferris Bueller's Day Off is damn good and I finally got the hype for why people like that John Hughes guy. I saw the first 4 Rocky Movies and I gotta admit, that meathead Sylvester Stallone is pretty charming. Just don't talk to him about the zoo! Those Alien movies were pretty good. Puss in Boots was pretty good, but still not in the same stratosphere as Shrek 2. Fair Play had one of the cringiest scenes in all of cinema this year and I had to physically bite my arm because of how uncomfortable it made me. Rollerball was fun and weird without much payoff. RoboCop was a good time. I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR! I kinda liked Annie Hall despite Woody Allen but don't understand the cult-like obsession even after watching it. Scarface was stupid fun and like a B-movie where they got Pacino somehow. All in all, it's my best year ever of watching movies. Until 2024!

MV5BMTQ5MjY5NDU4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM1

• Like 4

Wow, your 2023 Movies in Review was a delightful read! I haven't watched a lot of movies in the past couple of years - not really sure why, outside of a lack of time - but your post makes me want to make a concerted effort to get back into it. I also love how you try pick a different genre or era of cinema each year to help round out your cinematic experiences.

Ranked Movie List

• Of your 9.0+ movies, I've only seen Interstellar.
    • No Country for Old Men shows up in so many videos about filmography, so it's almost embarrassing that I haven't gotten around to it, yet.
    • Jackie Brown and The Godfather have also been on my list for a while. Never heard of 5 to 7 before - I don't often watch movies with a strong romance theme, but its short blurb coupled with your high praise actually has me pretty intrigued.
  • Of your 8.0-7.0 movies:
    • I see some Miyazaki with Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky. If you've watched other Studio Ghibli movies outside of this year, does one of them rank higher for you? I'd say that Howl's ranks in most people's Top 3 for that studio, though it ranks a little lower for me.
    • Yooooo The Road to El Dorado, hell yeah! 
    • It's been ages since I've seen the first two John Wick movies, but I'd probably agree that Chapter 2 is the series' zenith.
    • Woah, I had no idea there was a documentary about the almost-successful assassination attempt on Alexei Navalny. 
    • Children of Men! I remember watching something about how they filmed the long shots - especially the one in the car - and it was wild to see how they pulled them off.
  • Do you post your movie reviews somewhere? You seem to at least write reviews for your 9.0's, but I would be particularly interested in reading what you have to say about Mad Max: Fury Road (in terms of the elements that prevented you from ranking it higher).

Awards & Nominations

• Mesmerizing Woman:
    • Your comment about Chel cracked me up. 
    • Alright, definitely need to get around to Jackie Brown.
  • Kept Thinking About:
    • Oh, I was delighted to see Children of Men show up here!
    • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a great movie to watch during depressive slumps (or not!), I glad it came to you at the right time.
  • "I Just Didn't Get It":
    • It's been literal decades since I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. From what I recall, I feel like the visuals and atmosphere of the movie still hold up today - especially considering how it either pioneered a lot of technical skills or was at least the first to utilize them well. My struggle with the movie is that the pacing was intended to mimic travelogues which is a great idea conceptually, but I'm too impatient to full appreciate.
  • Best Action:
    • While I adore Fury Road, in terms of a pure action movie I think John Wick 2 nailed the assignment, just like you said.

My watch list has grown longer after reading your post, but it's a nice problem to have! Definitely seems like 2023 was a banger year for movies for you, thanks for sharing your experience with us!. 

• Like 2

Aayyyyyy that's what's up!! Mah man👊

I am impressed with not only how many movies you've watched this year, but how many are straight up solid af one way or the other. It's cool for me cuz while I didn't know a lot of the games you played this year, I do know quite a lot of the movies you watched!

On 12/23/2023 at 11:36 AM, realm722 said:

Most Watched Director: (Akira Kurosawa, Denis Villeneuve, Quentin Tarantino, Stanley Kubrick, Yasujirō Ozu)

Most Watched Actor: (Al Pacino, James Caan, Keanu Reeves, Sylvester Stallone, Toshiro Mifune)

Mesmerizing Woman: (Andy Allo in Upload, Chel in Road to El Dorado, Kyōko Kishida in An Autumn Afternoon, Pam Grier in Jackie Brown, Sydney Tamiia Poitier in Death Proof)

Niiice. I still have quite a lot of work to do myself when it comes to Kurosawa's filmography. First one I saw was Throne of Blood, think it was on AMC or TCM or some shit but I was utterly mesmerized.

So happy to hear of all the astounding Pacino performances you got to see this year, that is a murderer's row of top notch shit. I liked Scent of a Woman a lot too, though that might could be cuz it drips of early 90s cinema. AH SHAAOOUU YEWW OUTTA ORDAH!!

And Pam Grier is objectively correct, that woman aged like a wine and cheese basket covered with a leather jacket. That's that grown lady good good right there!

Worst Movie: (Brian's Song, Now You See Me 2, White Men Can't Jump 2023, Wonder Woman 1984)

Worst Actor: (Jack Harlow in White Men Can't Jump 2023, James Caan in Brian's Song, Joaquin Phoenix in The Master)

Worst Actress: (Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman 1984, Sofia Coppola in The Godfather Part III, Storm Reid in Missing)

Makes me sad to see Brian's Song here, BUT I was a lil kid when I saw it so who knows. I just remember that booming, quivering delivery of "I LOVED Brian Piccolo." Sad too to see WW84 as well, I enjoyed the first one but by and large people very much dislike the sequel.. looks like I'm probably never gonna bother, myself.

Yeah, can we end the Jack Harlow experiment already?

Hah. That was a famously bad performance... poor woman just got thrust into a prominent role in one of the most beloved franchises of all time with nothing but a last name and an on-screen cousin to fuck. A shame.

Kept Thinking About: (Barry Lyndon, Children of Men, Draft Day, My Dinner with Andre, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

"I Just Didn't Get It": (2001: A Space Oydssey, Ikiru, Paris Texas, Persona, Rashomon)

Best Tension: (Hell or High Water, Inglourious Basterds, Leon: The Professional, Prisoners, Sicario)

Still need to see Barry Lyndon!

2001: A Space Odyssey is like tomatoes for me, I LOVE but totally get why it's not for everybody. A crippling fear of time and space helps a great deal😂

Man, Tarantino always been a G when it comes to tension!

Best Animated: (Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie, The Road to El Dorado)

Best International: (Autumn Sonata, Children of Men, High and Low, Seven Samurai, Triangle of Sadness)

Best Dialogue: (A Few Good Men, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, Jackie Brown, My Dinner with Andre)

Seven Samurai is the GoAT, no argument there.

I didn't like Death Proof as much as I thought I would when it came out, but it definitely grew on me over time. And another category where Tarantino shines, love it😎

Best Action: (John Wick: Chapter 2, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, Kill Bill: Volume 1, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Mechanic)

Best Romance: (500 Days of Summer, All I See Is You, A Star is Born, Licorice Pizza, Pretend That You Love Me)

Best Comedy: (Blazing Saddles, Idiocracy, Not Another Teen Movie, No Hard Feelings, Popstar: Never Stop Stopping)

I have to admit, I found John Wick: Chapter 2 very entertaining, far more than expected perhaps, but.. Mad Max: Fury Road is dat bitch🤘

I'm super picky with romance (something I've learned about myself because my wife is NOT), but yeah was not a fan of A Star Is Born at ALL. That's the "Just Didn't Get It" for me!

Also it makes me super happy to see Not Another Teen Movie take the honors, especially alongside such comedic heavy hitters! That movie still cracks me the fuck up, so many ridiculous little gags, it's almost overwhelming. Janie soaked head to toe coming out of the pool and Priscilla acting like spilling her water bottle is such a big, bitchy act, then hearing off in the distance "THAT'S GONNA STAIN!!" And of course the over the top running away and crying to cap it off🤣🤣🤣 Really glad you enjoyed that one!

Best Music: (Amadeus, Barry Lyndon, Howl's Moving Castle, Titanic, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

Best Scene: (Coin Toss in No Country for Old Men, De niro v. Pacino in Heat, Hyman Roth in The Godfather Part II, I'm Not Leaving in The Wolf of Wall Street, Sinking Ship in Titanic)

Best Screenplay: (Children of Men, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Jackie Brown, Jurassic Park, Triangle of Sadness)

Amadeus🥰 Also I failed to mention before, but I loved Secret Life of Walter Mitty as well - good call on it being a great one to watch when you're feelin lost or just down on yourself in general.

Yeah, you can't fuck with that coin toss scene. "Well done!"

All the Jackie Brown love is dope to see... in fact, I need to slap that on my damn self!

Best Animal: (Dog in John Wick 2, Jonesy in Alien, Pikachu in Detective Pikachu, Rat Willem Dafoe in Fantastic Mr. Fox, Velociraptors in Jurassic Park)

Best Supporting Actor: (Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds, Julius Carrey in The Last Dragon, Ke Huy Quan in EEAO, Paul Bettany in M&C, Robert Forster in Jackie Brown)

Best Supporting Actress: (Debra Winger in An Officer and a Gentleman, Dolly de Leon in Triangle of Sadness, Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, Stephanie Hsu in EEAAO)

That poor dog!

Cristoph Waltz, man.. that's one of those performances that nobody talks shit about, he was just too good. Chilling and charming is not an easy duo to get down, but he nails it!

Damn, looks like I need to see Triangle of Sadness.

Best Actress: (Cate Blanchett in Tár, Emily Blunt in Sicario, Keira Knightley in Colette, Michelle Yeoh in EEAAO, Pam Grier in Jackie Brown)

Best Actor: (Al Pacino in Godfather, Casey Affleck in Manchester By the Sea, Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, James Mason in Lolita, Takashi Shimura in Seven Samurai)

Best Director: (Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather, Ethan & Joel Coen No Country for Old Men, Quentin Tarantino for Jackie Brown, Stephen Spielberg for Jurassic Park)

Been meaning to see Everything Everywhere All At Once for some time now, I've heard Ms. Yeoh was incredible... but dude I'm always happy to see Pam Grier getting her flowers👊

Surprised to see Javier Bardem and Takashi Shimura overtaken, but well deserved! When he first came on the scene I remember thinking "Ugh, Ben Affleck's little brother, who cares" til I saw his perfomance in The Assassination of Jesse James, that shit shut me up real quick😄 I need to check out more of his stuff!

As for The Godfather...

Best Picture: (Everything Everywhere All At Once, Interstellar, Jackie Brown, Jurassic Park, Lolita, Manchester by the Sea, Master & Commander, No Country for Old Men, Seven Samurai, Titanic, The Godfather, The Wolf of Wall Street, Triangle of Sadness)

...I mean that's a hard pick to be mad at! As you say, that shit's a classic for very good reason!

Also nice to see you scratched so many great movies off of the list! Back to the Future along with the John Hughes oeuvre are such great 80s fun, the first two Alien movies are each so great in such stylistically different ways, the Rocky films definitely have a unique charm... you watched some great shit this year, my guy. Great post!

...I'll let myself out.

EDIT: Also shit, Merry Christmas my dude👊

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thumper_cover_loop.png

Game: Thumper (Rhythm)

Analysis: I did not buy Thumper. Rather, I got it for free along with many other PS Users during the month of March-April 2021 as part of a gift from Sony.

Why Thumper? What exactly compels a man to finally check out a game that has been sitting in his backlog for nearly 3 full years? Quite simply, finally getting over the impediment of "I may not be good enough to platinum this" over "I'm probably going to enjoy this game". If you've read anything about Thumper, you've probably read that it's a rhythm VIOLENCE game. Hell, the developer's own damn website markets it in that fashion. What the hell does that mean? In essence, the game is hella intense and feels like you're a rogue silver beetle sent to kill a floating in-the-sky demon head. You've gotta do some sick rhythm bounces, slams, turns, & twists to take him down. Perform well enough and you'll continue to advance. Get hit twice and you gotta start to level back from the beginning. For the longest time, I was reluctant to check it out to the unique VR tie-in as well not really feeling up for rhythm games after my PaRappa the Rapper frustration. But enough time has subsided that I figured: "if enough people are talking well about this game, even if it's brutally difficult, I'll probably enjoy it." Was I correct?

Discovering the Fun & Platinum Strategy - I think the first time I realized I was having a great time with the game was on Level 1-12. It looks comically simple compared to some of the challenges that'll be thrown your way once you get into the latter half but the music combined with the rush of timing those corner turns and trying to get those magnificently timed "perfect turn" chimes is exhilarating. My method of play was going to be very simple. As there are only 9 levels (with varying amounts of stages from as few as 15 to as many as 30), I would treat my 1st playthrough on a level as merely learning the basics of what new trick the game is trying to teach me along with just doing enough in order to avoid dying and just keep advancing to the next stage. I didn't bother with collecting all of the rings or hitting every track node available. Survive and advance baby. Then, once I played through the level for the first time, I'd play it again a second time and try to obtain an S-rank on each stage.

How the Game Escalates Difficulty - Honestly, the game super early on wasn't giving me much of a hassle. Sure it wasn't easy. Your eyes need to adjust to the speed at which the game throws challenges at you. You need to concentrate. This isn't a game where you can be casually dozing off or daydreaming. It is NOT a chill game. It's frenetic as hell. When you play Thumper, you better be locked in or you're not going to last very long. I learned that in order to make turns, you could actually hold the X button well before turning along with the direction without needing to precisely time it right AT the turn itself. That was helpful. Especially once I got to Level 2 and was scooping up the blue nodes in the ground and accelerating right into a harsh turn. I found a HUGE increase in difficulty to be at Level 4. Now that the game was challenging you with multiple tracks (literally going right or left depending on what's thrown at you) to be a huge adjustment after casually being one-track-minded the first 3 levels. Level 5 continues to elevate the challenge with flying in the air and completing perfect turns in order to gather more rings in the air. This isn't REQUIRED for an S-rank until Level 6 but you're better off practicing earlier on. Honestly, beyond Level 6, there wasn't anything I found TOO ridiculous or a leap ahead of anything found earlier in the game. Sure some tracks will demand more of you and some bosses may take some practice to learn their precise timing windows but with enough practice and persistence, I never once felt the dreaded: "I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to do this."

Yet It's Remarkably Generous - I feel like hands down the greatest thing a difficult game can do is be generous despite its challenge. I think a marvelous previous example of this is Furi. Furi COULD HAVE made it so you couldn't take nearly as much damage as you're allowed to while going for the S-rank runs but it didn't. The game is hard as hell. But it's not unforgiving either. I find Thumper to be very similar. This is a HARD game. It will sometimes demand 1-2 minutes of utter brilliance out of you. But due to this difficulty, it doesn't demand 20+ minutes of perfection out of you either. I'll explain. While each level has a C, B, A, or S rank, each stage does as well. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, etc... Thumper also gives you a grade for each stage. C, B, A, or S. The generous thing Thumper does is after each stage, it will immediately give you your score. If you're not satisfied it, you can immediately restart the checkpoint to the PREVIOUS stage and give it another go. This allows for an infinite amount of retries until you get the stage juuuuust right. But the generosity doesn't stop there. The game ALSO allows you to quit out mid-run whenever you like and your progress will continue from the last checkpoint. Hence, let's say you're smack dab in the middle of a long level and need to stop at stage... 6-15. You can quit out, save, and continue tomorrow from where you left off. The game didn't have to be that kind. But it is. And I appreciate it for that fact.

Where Are the Progression Blockers - I feel like one of the best ways to handle a challenge going into it are knowing when exactly some of the hair-pulling will occur. Here I am to provide you with some of the levels that most kicked my ass. Level 2-5 kicked my butt early on as I went a few days without playing. Now with hindsight I feel like I could get S-rank in my sleep. Level 4-15 was the first level that kicked my butt so bad that I actually quit the session due to my frustration with it. Sometimes you need to know when you're spiraling and aren't going to make any more progress for the day. It was those rapid turns combined with the switching lanes and barricades that had me losing my mind. Thankfully got it the very next day after relatively few attempts. Level 5-6 is when I started to record my own personal attempts so you can see how good I had to get for some latter stages. This one has perfect turns required along with an obnoxious circle that will block a lot of your vision. Level 5-25 immaculately captures how amazingly fast I got at resetting after goofing up and missing a blue node. Even looking back at it now I can't believe I played that well. That took me around 50 minutes worth of attempts. It doesn't compare though to LEVEL 6-19 WHICH IS THE BIGGEST JERK IN THE ENTIRE GAME. Why does it suck so much? Because the game asks you to get perfect turns and slams into the ground for power-up nodes which is something it never previously asks players to do. I felt so seen when @Baker mentioned being stuck on it in the complaining thread. It was the first level I had to actually watch other player's videos in order to understand what to do. After a day's rest, within 30min of the following play session I finally got through. Level 9-7 is when the game decided to be a jerk again... not gonna lie, looking back at the footage makes me feel like a badass. It took me around an hour to finally have everything come together for the magical run on video. Level 9-13 is hypnotizing for me because in the moment it felt like it was one that shouldn't take THAT long to get down pat but those perfect turns at the end was just brutal. That clenching you have over you knowing you have to be perfect at the end and not have all your previous labor go to waste is stupidly intense.

Here Are My Scores For Comparison - As a treat, I figured it'd be fun for others to see how I scored on my first attempt vs. my S-rank run for others to compare.

* Level 1 1st Run: 43,950 (B Rank) - B, A S, B, S, A, A, B, A, A, B, C, A, B, B

* Level 1 All S-Rank: 148,200 Final Score!

* Level 2 1st Run: 117,550 (B Rank) - C, A, A, A, B, C, A, A, S, B, B, C, A, B, B, S, A, S, A, A, B, C

* Level 2 All S-Rank: 191,950 Final Score!

* Level 3 1st Run: 142,300 (B Rank) C, S, A, B, B, B, S, B, S, A, S, C, B, C, B, A, S, B, B, B, C, C, C, C, S, C
* Level 3 All S-Rank: 255,700 final score!

* Level 4 1st Run: 151,950 (C Rank) S, B, B, A, S, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, A, B, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B

* Level 4 All S-Rank: 371,950 Final Score!

* Level 5 1st Run: 146,150 (C Rank): C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, B, B, C, C, A, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, C, S

* Level 5 All S-Rank: 392,950 Final Score!

* Level 6 1st Run: 197,300 (C Rank): C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, A, C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, B

* Level 6 All S-Rank: 514,750 Final Score!

* Level 7 1st Run: 180,950 (C Rank): A, A, C, B, B, B, C, C, C, B, C, B, B, S, C, B, B, B, C

* Level 7 All S-Rank: 320,250 Final Score!

* Level 8 1st Run: 201,200 (C Rank): B, B, A, C, C, C, C, B, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, B, B, B, C, C, C, C, C

* Level 8 All S-Rank: 520,050 Final Score!

* Level 9 1st Run: 209,650 (C Rank): C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, B, C, B, B, B, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, A, C, B

* Level 9 All S-Rank: 522,800 Final Score!

These Are the Games I Love - It's about damn time when we hit the point in the review where I just gush about the game. It's awesome, man. Maybe if you're somebody who doesn't enjoy difficult games for the sake of difficulty OR finds attempting the same course over and over again repetitive, it may not be for you. As someone who loves a good gameplay loop with the challenge being mastery, this game was precisely up my alley. The music is freaking banging. The game kindly allows you small moments of downtime after an intense run. Boss fights feel fantastic as they require you to hit every single node in a row and if you fail, it forces you to start from the top of the cycle until you get things right. It lived up to the hype for me in terms of being a game that demands excellence but is worth if if you're willing to spend the time getting your ass kicked to get good. I earned the 3.04% rarity platinum in around 3 days and 1 hour for a total of 24 hours play-time!

Would I recommend Thumper? Absolutely. It's one of the best games I've played in the last few years and I don't feel like I'm being a prisoner of the moment when saying that. The developers, Drool, are a small indue studio based out of Rhode Island and they already have their 2nd game in the works in Thrasher, as announced at the 2023 Game Awards. I'm going to check it out at some point given how much fun I had with this. While it's been a bit of a slow start to the year for games with me, if I end up playing less games than in 2023 but on the whole enjoy them more than I did a year ago, I'd consider that a success. Quality over quantity if you need a cliché to catch my drift. I'm thrilled the Bills are outta the playoffs. I picked the Ravens over the 49ers in the Super Bowl back in August and while I don't wanna call myself Nostradamus, I've never felt more confident in a preseason prediction baring fruit than right now!

Panda Score: 9.14 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 7.47 / 10

Spoiler

Thumper
29-Dec-2023
* Okay I can see the fun
* Learning to hold X when on turns
* oh wow there are 15 stages level 1
* 1-11 was a learning curve
* Level 1 1st Run: 43,950 B-Rank - B, A S, B, S, A, A, B, A, A, B, C, A, B, B
* Not bad for my very 1st attempt first level
* level 12 is freaking sick genuinely
* the beat on level 13 is so awesome man
* okay 145k isnt S rank whatever game i guess even one A disqualifies you
* don’t think perfect turns are super relevant, level 1-11 gave most trouble
* Ayyyy we got S rank on all of them 148.2k yea baby!
* Okay so first thoughts only wrapped up Level 1 but I LOVE the restart checkpoint over and over again until S-rank thats going to come i handy for the future levels that want to make me bash my brain in
* Super sloppy returning after a few days off, level 2-5 whooping my butt
* Level 2 1st Run: 117,550 (B Rank), C, A, A, A, B, C, A, A, S, B, B, C, A, B, B, S, A, S, A, A, B, C
* okay level 2 taught me if you pick up a blue X all you gotta do is go left or right on turns not click x again
* ayyyyyy we did it! S rank on all of them, 191.950 not bad!
* Level 3 1st Run: 142,300 (B Rank) C, S, A, B, B, B, S, B, S, A, S, C, B, C, B, A, S, B, B, B, C, C, C, C, S, C
* Level 3 All S rank Done! 255,700 final score!
* OKAY WOW LEVEL 4 is a HUUUGE increase in difficulty man good lord multiple tracks so many more X button presses
* Level 4 1st Run: 151,950 (C Rank) S, B, B, A, S, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, A, B, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B
* okay the game is wildly forgiving to let you quit mid-run and save after each sublevel that is wonderful
* okay level 4-15 kicked my butt, first level im not completing in one sitting bcuz sheesh what an upkick in difficulty man
* alright back at it and while 4-19 whooped me a lil, we keep moving
* alright we did it!
* Level 4 All S Rank: 371,950 Final Score!
* just barely survived it I think 5-25 is going to be an absolute MONSTER
* Level 5 1st Run: 146,150 (C Rank): C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, B, B, C, C, A, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, C, S
* I can tell that one is gonna suck for some levels but some are super short and I S-ranked the final boss so hey
* okay evel 5-6 feels like a brick wall stopping here
* Got thru it, 5-10 is so much fun man even tho tricky to get with the lane switching
* Alright level 5-24 just kicked my butt for a solid 20 minutes good lord I knew the trick but the s tank is super demanding getting all the high hoops
* ALRIGHT TOOK US 50 MINUTES BUT WE DID 5-25 THAT FREAKING SUCKED
* Level 5 All S Rank: 392,950 Final Score!
* Level 5 teaches the player when rising up for the rings in the air that if it’s right around a corner you need to do a perfect turn in order to gather them
* Thumper is a game all about asking for minutes of excellence at a time for the S rank rather than several consecutive minutes or up to an hour like Neón white
* Level 6 1st Run: 197,300 (C Rank): C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, A, C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, C, B
* okay returning after a week away was tough, now totally stuck on 6-19 even playing well only got a B rank
* Level 6 All S Rank: 514,750 Final Score! hell yea! the s-19 we got through after 30min of attempts 2nd day learning them stomps is the key on those turns wasn’t even the prettiest but I earned it
* level 7 playing through didn’t seem too bad tbh we’ll see going for S ranks
* Level 7 1st Run: 180,950 (C Rank): A, A, C, B, B, B, C, C, C, B, C, B, B, S, C, B, B, B, C
* DID IT! I found Level 7 much easier than Level 6 lol
* Level 7 All S Rank: 320,250 Final Score!
* Level 8 1st Run: 201,200 (C Rank): B, B, A, C, C, C, C, B, C,B, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, B, B, B, C, C, C, C, C
* alright level 8 done honestly not that bad whatsoever!
* Level 8 All S Rank: 520,050 Final Score!
* ayyyy we finished the base game! Woohoo! that last boss gets made trippy with the timing lol
* Level 9 1st Run: 209,650 (C Rank): C, C, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, B, B, C, B, B, B, C, B, C, C, C, C, C, C, A, C, B
* aight level 9-7 kicked my ass for one hour screw you thumper
* alright 9-13 kicking my butt now, taking a break since my brain is fried
* got past it now past 9-27 and that last cheapshot node
* WE DID IT!
* Level 9 All S Rank: 522,800 Final Score!

• Like 4

maxresdefault.jpg

RealM722 Reviews State of Play (Jan. 31, 2024)

I don't do those too frequently but I figured as it's the first one of 2024, why the heck not? Let's go!

State of Play (Jan. 31, 2024) (LINK)

(0:10) Helldivers II - Not for me. Heard SkillUp could be done for it though so that could be a decent review.

(2:18) Stellar Blade - Ooooh yea this lady in green. Some weeb bait. Combat looks solid though I'm guessing high 70's - low 80's future metacritic score. I appreciate the depth of the preview and the wide variety of landscapes they showed. Seems like a chunky experience 20-25 hours in all likelihood.

(8:55) Sonic x Shadow Generations - Sonic? Ehh whatever. BUT SHADOW? OH HELL YEAH! (probably not but happy for the Sanic fans)

(10:01) Zenless Zone Zero - I saw the Hoyoverse and got scared. I've heard of this series before but ehh... doesn't really entice me.

(11:02) Foamstars - Will this receive even less fanfare than Destruction All-Stars? Probably about the same. Sorry.

(13:10) V Rising - Honestly the perspective on that looks quite cool. Sick as hell combat. That's promising!

(14:40) Silent Hill: The Short Message - Dang that's pretty juicy. Chicks with glasses >>>. 1st person perspective? Phone shenanigans? Not for me but good for those who dig it! I wonder how the full trailer for SH2 is gonna be received since I got hella Resident Evil vibes as somebody who doesn't play those games.

(18:30) Judas - Big Bioshock vibes and then I realized it was that Judas game lmao. Cool lady protagonist. Funky setting. Hope the dialogue/story isn't cringeworthy.

(20:20) Metro Awakening VR - Oh a VR game. I honestly totally forgot that the PSVR2 even came out. Good for people who own that.

(21:55) Legendary Tales - I'm not a VR guy but that combat looked cool as heck battling those skeletons. Hope it gets some proper attention.

(23:20) Dragon's Dogma II - Oh yea that Dragdog. Happy for those who enjoyed the original.

(25:25) Rise of the Ronin - Automatically I'm digging the UI. Traversal looks fun as heck. Gotta say, very impressive showcase. It felt like the game wasn't getting the proper love it deserved since some players had "feudal Japan" fatigue from Sekiro / Ghost of Tsushima but the game looks damn solid. Props!

(29:25) Until Dawn Remastered - Hahaha that good ol' Until Dawn. Good, campy times even if you're watching instead of playing.

(30:48) Death Stranding 2 - Gooey black cat. Fragile, but not that fragile. Freaky as hell. Baby burps up a spaceship. Puppet mannequin on the thigh. Heck yea brother.

Honestly, that extended Death Stranding 2 trailer was awesome. Maybe some people played the original and it simply wasn't for them but I appreciate it for how different it is. 2025 release date really isn't that far off in the grand scheme of things. Kojima playing both sides with that future "action espionage" game is great. We're not gonna appreciate this guy fully until he's gone so I'm hopeful he gets to release as many of his visionary projects before it's all said and done. All in all, soid showcase!

• Like 2

MV5BNWM0NTFhOGYtYjk0Zi00ZDQ2LWIzNTEtNzNh

The Video Games I Would Create If I Had Talent (Part 3)

Episode #1 of this Series

Episode #2 of this Series

The Elevator Pitch / Genre: Boss Rush(Action, Complex) + Diagloue Interrogation Mystery + Supergiant Music/Visuals

Where I Got The Idea From - The other day I was reminiscing through my gaming catalog and couldn't help but be reminded of the absolute blast I had while playing Furi. A phenomenal action boss rush game that is still stamped in my memory nearly a full 3 years later. It's a bit surprising to me not even one of the "let's make a Souls-like" conglomerate of indie developers has tried their hand at their own sort of boss rush game without any filler/trash mobs to deal with. But then I thought about... what if... you could have two radically different play-styles in a boss rush game. What if you could talk with the bosses? Rather than fight them physically, engage in a bit of a duel of the minds, and try to get whatever you need to obtain, without resorting to violence? I'm reminded of such films such as Oleanna (David Mamet's 1994 film based on his own play), Malcolm & Marie, and My Dinner with Andre. All 3 of these are fundamentally on their most basic level an entire film revolved around 2 people speaking with one another. There are not any side characters. There are not any exotic locations to visit. There is rarely any exciting visual action / tension. It's all... just... taking. and YET it works. On different scales. My Dinner with Andre is my favorite of the 3 as it's a dynamic interaction between two perspectives over dinner. Malcolm & Marie has to deal with a couple bickering and DBZ powering-up on how much they're insulting one another. And Oleanna shows how an initially somewhat peaceful if irritating exchange can become hostile by the end. What if there was a compelling way to take what those movies provide, gameify it, and put yourselves in their shoes to avoid tension?

Boss Rush - This is the least radical part of my pitch. It's the most straightforward aspect of the game to sell to most consumers. Did you enjoy Furi? Did you enjoy Jotun? Then enjoy a game where we don't waste your time with any minor enemies to deal with. It's bosses all the way down. The real-time action combat refinement will take plenty of time to get down right. You want a versatile moveset that let's the player have some variety to their strategy. While I think the game should undeniably be difficult, a generous harsh difficulty such as that of Furi where you're still allowed to take a handful of hits and even get knocked down once or twice is acceptable. It's very important that these fights don't come across as gimmicky. I've seen Titan Souls tossed into the Boss Rush category and the more I see that the more I hate the label. It's really more of a puzzle game. Each boss has one specific trick you need to pull off in 10-15 seconds and isn't really a duel. I want to avoid that. Give the people what they paid for. Exotic environments such as visiting a wealthy somewhat older woman's manor. A man who lives in isolation along a cliffside. Make these conversations start off at the player's discretion and they decide whether they want to get right into the fray of things with violence or... opt for a peaceful approach.

Dialogue Interrogation Mystery - This is the neat trick of the game that would make it noteworthy and eye-popping for indie devotees. How do you make talking with characters as compelling as fighting them with action combat? It's a hard challenge. But let's try. I think the premise of the game could be about a veteran, grizzly, now-retired private investigator telling the stories of his younger life to his grandchildren. This allows you to do some fun things regarding an unreliable narrator. Your protagonist was hired by an agency to get intel on an incident that occurred and there are 6-7 people who have firsthand knowledge of events from that ordeal. You're paid as a mercenary to go get results. They don't care what method you use, just get the damn job done. I am all for hamming this up to ridiculous levels and think there's so much room to play with that premise. Make the characters bombastic and extreme. Maybe some of the come across friendly enough and get you tea or something to chill with. Make others cold and brash and make you want to pull the trigger on fighting them as soon as possible. Stellar voice acting is crucial for this to succeed. You've got to get a proper writer which keeps players engaged with the material at hand rather than zoning out and saying "screw it let's blast these nerds". I think a dynamic ever-changing free-flowing conversation where you decide when you speak-up such as that found in Oxenfree could also be a plus.

Supergiant Music / Visuals - Wow. What a concept Realm. You want good music and visuals in your video game? Why doesn't ever indie developer do that? Are they stupid? Yea I know this is dumb but I really think this is important. Having plastic-looking or bland visuals aren't going to be enough to bring people into the circus tent to try out a game that's experimental like this. You need the characters to be hot. You need one REALLY hot looking boss fight lady that you splash on all of the promotional material. You need a badass older looking fella who looks like he takes rest days so the WEIGHTS can have a day off from HIM. Every boss needs their own theme song that the player will grow to appreciate as they hear it loop over and over again as they get their asses hand to them. Combine all these elements and I think we may have a hit, ladies and gentlemen.

The Unfeasibility Of This Game - I acknowledge my wishes here are a bit unrealistic. Ultimately, I am committing a video game creation cardinal sin which is combining two different genres that really don't vibe with one another. An action boss fight game with a dialogue-heavy system. Players who love action are going to want to blaze through the social parts for the fights. Players who don't like to fight may not even be able to finish the game if they fail in the dialogue sections and piss off the opposing character enough to the point where fighting is their only option. This doesn't even get into the weight of having to build a robust enough gameplay system to make the combat actually fun OR paying the $$$ you'd need to get quality voice acting OR paying the $$$ to writers to make dialogue worthy enough for the voice actors to then carry out. Until then, this game shall live only in my memory, and yours too, if you're so inclined.

• Like 3