RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

SUPER TIME FORCE

Game: Super Time Force Ultra

Aww hell yeah!!

I'm so glad you played this one (and enjoyed it, and wrote about it)! I too found this to be a real pleasant surprise?

I saved these for the end of my 1st play-through, but honestly, you'd probably be better served playing them as you gradually progress through the main campaign. You'll need to find a distinct character in each zone (of which there are 6 in total, 16 total playable characters) but I honestly learned a ton regarding the mechanics of each character that I sort of underestimated. Some of the latter ones can get tricky but there are great aids for them on YouTube. I think the worst one for me was easily Level #37 as I had no idea Jef Leppard could launch himself off the ground with his own bomb and the angled launch on the moving platform was a gigantic pain in the ass for me since aiming directionally can be a bit cumbersome but with enough stubborn persistence, you'll eventually get it.

Facts. And...

I'll make a bold statement here. This game is not ACTUALLY ultra rare difficult. You should try it. It's honestly 10-12% plat rarity.

FACTS.

I wish I'd done the Helladecks as I went along too, learning mechanics of seemingly whatever characters was huge. Plus it definitely sharpened my STFU skills!

I feel like the Helladeck levels had like three or four where all the real challenge went to. I'd be flying and then hit one like #37 as you mentioned, and be like "well how the fuck..."

I daresay that is not a bold statement at all! I agree full-heartedly. And trust, with my average ass gaming skills, that's saying somethin!

I'd also love to give a little shoutout to @YaManSmevz for unintentionally giving me some extra motivation to finally play the game after it was sitting on the back burner for the past few months. Seeing them complete it in a handful of days gave me the inspiration I needed to finally check it out. This now marks a rare back-to-back ultra-rare games completed for me in the month of September and we'll see if I'm able to pull off the dream of completing 12 in one year as I'm slightly past the halfway point with (7) with a handful of months left to go. Until next time! 

Panda Score: 7.67 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 3.7 / 10

Thanks for the shout mah G, a great read like always. And good luck with the UR goal dude, you got this?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

946820.png

If the Joy Slips From My Writing, Take Me Behind the Barn

Is it weird that one of my takeaways is "the amount of people saying "jif" is 30%?"

I was at a San Diego bar recently and a Padres fan was talking shit to me. I noticed the Marlins were losing, and couldn't help thinking "they haven't been doing so hot in recent years... but they still have two more championships than the Padres."

I'm sorry, I don't know if that helps, but between that and Alcántara you're in a better spot than many!

I can't say I share the dismay, but I see where you're coming from. Lots of peeps who should just be happy that their team won are disappointed about the spread, and sports YouTubers I like are having to stop and pitch MyBookie or DraftKings more and more. I don't mind gambling, but I definitely agree that that shouldn't be the focus. That's how I feel about people who go to baseball games just to get drunk and start shit?

Well that's not entirely true, I DO mind that!

This is something I'm going to be conscious of going forward. Am I playing too many 6/10s and throwing up one too many bland and undercooked reviews? If I am, I NEED to change something. God forbid I sound like the video game reviewing equivalent of a PFF analyst.

You got nothin to worry about homie, you're a far ways from that, I promise you?

Sorry, I just kinda started writing and now I have all these words here, I hope any of this makes sense!

• Like 3

946820.png

If the Joy Slips From My Writing, Take Me Behind the Barn

-------

This diatribe against public sports coverage now circles back to video games, and the title of this article. If in enough consecutive reviews I begin to convey a lethargicness, droning, or worst of all, apathetic tone... put me out of my misery.

Since I am as interested about sports as I am about learning Mongolian throat singing, I'll just keep it brief - I doubt you'll come close to apathy when it comes to writing about videogames xD Excited? yes. Angry? maybe. Rarity? Under 40% ?

Since most of your posts fuel my addiction to coffee (love reading your stuff in the morning, whenever you're posting), I'll make sure to let you know if I feel any "meh/10" coming from you :D 

This is something I'm going to be conscious of going forward. Am I playing too many 6/10s and throwing up one too many bland and undercooked reviews? If I am, I NEED to change something. 

I do admit I did feel this about some of the latest games that I've played (see Nickelodeon All-Star Brawling, a game so bland that it made me start the Elden Ring challenge run just so I can confirm that I am alive and not phased out of existence due to boredom). But, writing had to be done..not a fun experience.

At least that experience made me realize that yeah...I should avoid those dreaded 5/10 at all costs :D a weird motivation to hunt for better games!

Also...I did randomly click on some of your tags, because that blue thing is appealing...

This could also manifest itself by someone ranting about a horrible time they had with a game but by transmitting that "suffering" in a humorous fashion, it makes it a worthwhile experience.

wait-what.gif

Is that PTSD that I am spotting? ?

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, realm722 said:

I don't think I've ever enjoyed sports coverage less than I do right now.

I actually agree with you here and was just talking about this the other day with a friend of mine. I used to be huge into all fantasy sports, however every season but football is an absolute marathon and just ends up being a drag by the end and I stopped paying attention. Football is easy since you have to pay attention on Tuesday nights for waivers, and then just make sure your guys aren't hurt before games and then you can just enjoy.

When DFS and sports betting came on the gambit, I also dabbled in that but I found it really sucked the joy out of watching sports for me. It became less about rooting for my team to win and more about covering the point spread or being pissed that my WR was injured and cost me a game. It was less about the competition and the athletes and more about the random numbers. I was frustrated if my team won, but not by enough...or I'd find myself hoping my team won but a guy on the team had a bad game so it wouldn't affect the outcome of my bet. I've also learned that whatever you think is going to happen, never happens and you just end up pissed off...I've decided to no longer bet on any game so that I can spend my time enjoying the contest instead of checking my phone for line updates and I don't care if my fantasy team has a rough week if my team wins. I've really enjoyed the first couple of weeks of the football season and I can't see me going back to betting at all.

I don't watch sports as much as I used to since I'm the only one in my household that enjoys them. They bore my kids to tears and my wife couldn't care less lol I do get Sundays during the football season and generally can exile myself to the basement during the playoffs, but I haven't watched a full regular season baseball game in like six or seven years. It was tough for me at first since baseball was my first love and I used to watch 140+ games a year, but the game isn't the same anymore. I truly feel like an old man talking about 'back in my day' here...but I don't think anyone can look at baseball now and say it is the same game as 20 years ago. I used to love the drama of a game, but now I find it boring. It's the same formula...walk, k, walk, k, home run. I think it's moot what they're trying to do to 'fix' baseball by speeding up the game. I don't think it's the pace necessarily that turns people away, it's the product on the field. Everyone is an asset now and you've got to protect the asset. Complete games are a unicorn...players are actively encouraged not to run out ground balls so they don't pull muscles. What's wild is that players are more skilled now than ever in history, yet what they're being asked to do is just boring. I get that a good at bat can be a 9 pitch walk...but who wants to sit there for 5 minutes to see that? I feel like I'm getting a bit salty here, so I'll stop.

It's a funny too because I've felt this existential crisis in sports/coverage seep a bit into my gaming habits. I had a system, that made me happy for many, many years and I've kind of lost sight of that a bit. I used to buy a game and play it to completion and then find a new game. Trophies made it fun and I still think it can be fun for me. The thing that has sapped my fun a bit lately is my Cal Ripken-like trophy streak. I've earned at least one trophy, every day, for 675 days. I've earned trophies on days I had major surgery, family vacations, late work days and most disappointingly...days I didn't really feel like playing. Trying to keep this streak alive has had me break a lot of the habits that I used to enjoy about gaming. I would start a new game before I was ready or wanted to, just so I could earn a trophy in it. I would stop playing a game I was enjoying in order to save the trophy that was about to pop for the next day. My gaming has become about the streak and not about the games and I've started to not have as much fun with it. I've decided that I want to try and keep my streak going until 11/15 when it will be exactly two years and then stop. I will then go back and finish all of these unfinished games on my list and I won't care if I don't get a trophy for weeks (looking at you SMB and Injustice)....but I want to get back to the things that made me happy gaming. I feel that relief watching sports and I want to get that back again with my gaming.

Sorry for the hijack, but what you wrote about synced up quite a bit with some things I've been thinking about lately. Well done with Sonic! I totally agree with your assessment of it. I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would too!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, realm722 said:

telling-liesthumbnailblogroll-1566346110

Game: Telling Lies

Ayyyy nice to see you weighing in on this one!

I'm envious of your 1am moment man, I didn't get that til I was closer to finishing things up. That had me shook even without the interruption?

I was meh on Maxine as well til the ending of her arc, I really enjoyed that... cuz I seriously disliked David. In that first video when he's talking about love into the camera I was just like "I'unno why but I already think you're full of shit."

I don't think it bothered me as much as it did you, but it did get a touch tiresome after a while having to rewind videos back to the beginning. I feel the clips didn't need THAT level of specificity with the search results, but again, I was okay with it.

51 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Alexandra Shipp Appreciation Paragraph - I can forget everything this game talked about from the environmental terrorist group tryna shutdown a pipeline to poison a water supply or the fact David can't keep his pipe in his pants but the one thing I'm sure as hell not forgetting is Ava. Mhmmmmmmm. In the words of the immortal Mark Jackson, with all due respect, I'd hit it outta the park. Sing to me all day girl. 

We are 100% on the same page here though, she bad. Just seemed like a cool, fun girl too. And that NSFW shit caught me off guard, ay que rica?

I think I probably rank it in about the same territory as you. Cool game, it definitely impressed me, but yeah it ain't for everyone. Good read as always, mah dude!

• Like 2

Where it Falls Short - I may be a complete idiot, but unless I completely overlooked a crucial feature in the game, the "most efficient" way to play is unbelievably laborious. I'll explain. You will only be able to play videos from the start of a keyword. So let's say you choose a keyword such as "pipeline" and end up at minute 5:58 of a 7-minute video. You are incentivized to rewind to the start of the video which takes an agonizingly long amount of time. This sucks for two reasons. 1) It takes forever. 2) You're slightly spoiling the dialogue for yourself as you scrub back through the footage only to play it forward. If you choose to NOT play this way, you will miss huge key fragments of information that give context to many videos

If you hold rewind as you click on a clip to watch it, (or immediately as it loads) it starts from the beginning, instead of at the keyword.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

10 minutes ago, realm722 said:

After listening to some critiques of the game, I liked one from Writing on Games that talked about how the process is supposed to be laborious and not fun or a breeze. A little bit highfalutin but I understood where he was coming from. 

Yoooo I loved that dude's Hitman videos, could've sworn I'd subscribed but apparently I did not. Corrected, though! And that vid is bookmarked, thanks homie?

Yeah I can see that point too.. but I feel there's a point in a game where you're no longer being immersive and just creating busywork. Like in Detroit when you're playing as Kara and you gotta clean up the house, did we really need to get that in depth?? I know how cleaning a house works?

10 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Thank you! I also figured I'd throw this out here and say that I did a little bit of YouTube digging on Barlow's 3rd game, Immortality, and good lord it looks BONKERS. I saw a bit of a glimpse from a YouTuber who published their stream but the concept was so intriguing I decided to hold off for now. It dropped less than a month ago (Aug 30 2022) and I'm hoping down the line it comes to PlayStation since I've never seen anything quite like it. 

Damn. Looks like that's another game on the watch list...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

wp5724762.png

Game: GoNNER

Analysis: I bought GoNNER for $1.99 all the way back in mid-January 2021. It has sat in my backlog for far too long and it was time I finally faced the music. 

Why GoNNER? - Honestly, its been so long since I bought the game that I couldn't even tell you what my thought process was. I bought Snake Pass, Beyond Eyes, & Manuel Samuel along with it. If I had to venture a guess, I imagine the cheap price tag and somewhat intriguing thought of achieving an ultra-rare were enough to entice me back then. So then why did the game sit on the pine for nearly a year and a half? I think it was an odd mixture of a few factors. 1) The game is incredibly niche. I'm just the 78th platinum achiever on PSNProfiles. That's the 3rd fewest of my 195 platinums to date. 2) The game does not save your progress when you close the application. More on that later. 3) I thought information on the game was remarkably scarce. It turns out I vastly overthought how complex the game actually was. There's a wonderfully detailed TrueAchievements Guide that should serve you very well to get started. If you want something a little more heavy on information regarding the various weapons, heads, & equipables, you can take a look at the Ultimate Steam Guide on the game. Still... I was hesitant. So I reached out to someone who posted on r/Trophies and had achieved the game a little less than a month ago to see if they had any recommendations. @coldhardcrash_. I salute you, my friend. Thank you for giving me the extra confidence boost I needed to finally give the game a try along with the necessary loadout guidance in order to kick its ass. You did not have to reply to a comment from a month-old thread you created yet you did anyway. o7

What You Need To Know - As GoNNER is still relatively under-covered from a player's platinuming experience, I feel compelled to document what I think is the best way to most efficiently gear yourself up for the platinum. 1) Check into the daily challenges. Why? I popped "Undead" & "Hahaha" without lifting a finger as the required items formed part of the gear set-up challenge for the day. You could fall backwards into this and save yourself some hassle as I did. 2) Use the brick head. Use the scythe. Use the shark fin. WHY? This is the most game-breaking loadout. The brick head can be earned INSANELY early on (not even 1 minute in) and despite having fewer hearts, your guy does not shatter up after sustaining a hit forcing him to go recollect all his gear which is the case with other heads. The scythe is the only melee weapon in the game but it is SPECTACULAR. An annoying thing about aiming with guns in GoNNER is you cannot aim up or down. You can only shoot left to right. This makes it annoying to shoot enemies climbing up walls or that are buzzing above you. The scythe eliminates all those woes and by frequently spamming it while running, you'll be able to avoid damage the vast majority of the time. 3) Make sure you get that extra heart each time you meet Sally. See this videoYou can earn an extra heart each time even if you don't complete the previous level without taking damage. It's a lifesaver for the final boss fight as having 5 hits vs. 3 hits can be the difference between winning and losing. Just remember to throw away your equipment (as demonstrated) and talk to Sally 3 times in order to attain it. Finally, 4) Switch to a gun, preferably the shotgun, before the final fight. Why? Here was my attempt fighting Death with the scythe. It was my first time fighting him. I could not close the distance. It's not a fun time. 

My 1st Session - My first time playing the game, I went in with absolutely zero familiarity with any of the tops above. It was not ideal. I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. I found I was running out of bullets far too frequently. If you don't have the backpack equipable for a reload, the only way you refresh your bullets is by killing an enemy and hoping they drop a pack. I was frustrated by the inability to aim downward or upwards. I kept dying over and over again on the final boss in Cave World (3 red skulls that move fast and lunge at you). I managed to beat it once, only to be wholly perplexed by the jump in the difficulty of Robot world. Good lord. Jumping across disappearing platforms if you touch them? I had managed to earn 5 trophies on my first day of playing and kinda dug the idea of collecting glyphs (kill 5 enemies in quick succession, this currency can be used at stores or for a revival if you have enough), and loved the splooshy atmosphere (bubbles, appearance of the level disappearing or materializing the closer you get to it) but I thought the game was going to give me a headache with earning the platinum if I was struggling this much early on. 

My 2nd Session - Now informed with the proper loadout and a new gameplan, I entered the game with a fresh save (remember, all gathered items wipes each time you close the application), I focused on gathering the scythe. It's insanely easy. Make it to the shop right before the final boss of the 1st world. Use all your glyps rerolling. It'll appear. Smash 5 mushrooms from the ceilings in a row for a glyph and buy it. The scythe with the shark fin is INSANELY overpowered. It allowed me to decimate the 1st world boss. The robot world is a breeze to fly through as, and I can't believe I haven't said this 'til now, YOU DON'T NEED TO FIGHT ANY ENEMIES. JUST MAKE IT TO THE END OF THE LEVEL. You should probably fight a few packs of easy ones every now and then just to earn a solid amount of glyphs but when your mentality of the game shifts from fighting to finding the exit as soon as possible, the challenge of the game drops tremendously. Before seriously going for a winning run, I aimed for a few side trophies. I earned the 100x combo in Cave World just playing very erratically and aggressively always moving forward. I then aimed to start making real forward progress and was shocked by how short the game was. The Shooty world (white background) is super easy and the final boss is a simple escape from a big enemy. Death world gave me a few issues since I kept playing too face and stupidly would kill myself on a number of gravestones, but even botching up this late in the game before the final boss isn't that bad. It only takes 10-12 minutes to get back here and by playing more methodically, I was finally able to take on the final boss with a shotgun. I took 5 hits, was on my last heart of health, and somehow, someway, fired off one last blast that defeated him. Not a single death on the whole run. I had earned the 4.93% rarity platinum in just 1 day and 4 hours

Would I recommend GoNNER? MaybeIt's a weird game. I managed to earn the platinum in less than 6 hours of total actual play-time. It's not a laborious experience. Given the fact you can choose what gear you want for each run, I wouldn't exactly call it a roguelike either. While the enemies are slightly randomized each run, there are absolutely familiar templates that I saw time and time again in such a relatively small window. I enjoyed the aesthetic. The game is especially fun with the scythe, yet not as much with the guns. I thought the store mechanics were solid. The bosses were fine, the Robot world heap of trash is hilariously non-competitive. I wonder how much differently I would have viewed the game if you were forced to defeat all the enemies in each level as opposed to being able to blast through each one as quickly as possible. I think the game will most serve as a testament to how much I can build up a game's difficulty in my own head and put it off for so long when in all reality... it wasn't that big of a deal in the first place. Thanks GoNNER!

Panda Score: 6.88 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 4.7 / 10

Great job man! So glad to hear my bit of advice helped out :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, realm722 said:

0lVLp4pPzIydqoeKRiRIoaRMxuHjCnn9.jpg

Game: Party Golf

Hey, a game I actually played before! Looking back I should go cleanup some trophies in that game as they do not look that difficult, maybe just a little annoying.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

Finally, in Asia and Oceania, how is it even possible I've avoided a game from South Korea up until this point? I need to rectify that. Please feel free to give me some suggestions. New Zealand may also have some untapped potential.

South Korea is going to be harder to do than you think. They are known more for playing games skillfully than making them. A lot of the games out of there are online based liked MMOS or FPS.

You can check here for a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_developed_in_South_Korea The list probably isn't complete, but it's a start.

Oddly enough, other than the MMOS on there, Metal Slug 4 is a game that stands out and that I've played, not sure how they only made 1 of 5(?). That being said, there is actually 1 indie game I've played from there after looking more closely and it was actually kinda fun, check out The Coma. It's trophies aren't that rare as it's not a real difficult game, but might be good for this month since it is spooky.

• Like 1

Damn that was quite the work...never thought of checking out games by developer nationality xD

But...at a first glance, I am mainly hopping between Japan, US and Canada in terms of game teams.

Ironically, there IS a game developed in Romania with trophies on PS4, and that is Yaga. But man... despite getting the folklore behind it and such, I have no mood to play that game.

I am betraying my people, I know ?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 11:53 AM, realm722 said:

Finally, in Asia and Oceania, how is it even possible I've avoided a game from South Korea up until this point? I need to rectify that. Please feel free to give me some suggestions. New Zealand may also have some untapped potential.

This is pretty awesome! A couple of very easy NZ made games would be any of the Rugby Challenge games. Another easy but very enjoyable Zelda like game would be Reverie.

• Like 1