RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

15 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Wait - Cassy, are you legitimately a marine biologist?! If so, that's awesome! I was the kid in elementary school who would answer the "What do you want to be when you grow up" question with "Either an oceanographer or marine biologist". ? Then by the time I reached college, I had made peace with the fact that while science (and especially biology) are incredible, being a scientific researcher would not be a fulfilling career for me. So I will be sad if I missed that the comment was made in jest.

Yes and no. Of all my stupid inside jokes, that one is the stupidest. I went to school for oceanography, I have multiple degrees in it, but my actual job has nothing to do with marine science. I don't even live near the ocean.

In my defense, I have gotten to work in wetlands and estuaries, so I'm not so far removed that I feel those years were a waste. I just like to pretend I get to swim with dolphins, which I think was what I was envisioning 20+ years ago.

To keep from hijacking this thread, I'll say Citizen Sleeper isn't something I've heard of, but I went ahead and added it to my wish list. I seem to do that with a lot of realm's games. You're the reason I can't finish my backlog!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

citizen-sleeper-video-9fh8r.jpg

Game: Citizen Sleeper

Dayum. Been eyeing this one off after enjoying Disco Elysium.

Sorry realm, I only read the first couple of paragraphs and skipped to the Panda Score - can't risk a single spoiler for this one. Will have to come back to read the review once I've played it. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 0:41 AM, realm722 said:

So before I say anything, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is one of the best replies to a post I've ever received on this thead. 

Originally, I considered making that my goal but then as soon as I was barely even halfway to describing just my own I thought: "hell nah" lmao. I'm going to update that post every time though as I'm going to link it from here onward when describing a game I've just played. If I ever get to genres that I haven't touched quite yet, they'll be added to the list!

Oh! I'm so glad that my post was well-received. After I hit submit (and discovered you had made another post in the time I took to write it all up), I started wondering if I took things a little too seriously/intensely and would come off weird, haha. 

It totally makes sense to not define genres that you haven't personally played - see my question about Brawler vs Fighter, lmao. Though I'm excited to hear that whenever you play games outside of the current list, you'll be making updates!

Yooooo for whatever reason reading your comment I had the epiphany for "Reflex Runner" and I love how that sounds given how fast-twitched you have to be for the input commands on the games listed. Thank you for inadvertently helping me out with that!

?

Reflex Runner's got alliteration and makes it clear that you aren't talking about a Mosey Adventure or something similar. That's genius!

Not at all! Honestly, I appreciated your detailed analysis. I'll be 100% honest with you and I flew through those genres while creating them since they're not really relevant to the vast majority of my gaming catalog lol. Like, I have listed 3 multiplayer games for me and I made them Rocket League (since I do play the game still exclusively online), as well as FIFA 22 since I got a lot of trophies online in that game as well as Journey thanks to my 1st playthrough experience with a random player. If I played an Overwatch OR Rainbow Six Siege or some other type of game actively I probably would have paid it more thought but I like playing games on my time which makes both online and co-op games incredibly rare for me. 

I don't even play that many multiplayer games - Destiny 2 is the big one for me, since I made several good friends through playing it. Sometimes I'll do some couch co-op with the husband. But I definitely prefer multiplayer games that let me work together with my friends (with some small competitive aspects being fine).

For me at least, the distinction comes less from the button inputs as much as the competition. In a Braweler, you're usually taking on tens of weak foes at a time and doing everything from launching them into the air and juggling to ground slams and so forth. In a Fighter, minus some quirky ones, you're almost always taking on just ONE opponent and while those games do sometimes have stories and single-player, their longevity and fame come from the online community and taking your skills up against another player. 

Another ? moment for me - thank you! Brawler = 1vMany and Fighter = usually 1v1 is easy enough for my brain to remember!  

IT IS SO COOL!!! The more time that passes, the more my appreciation for those games grows. The developers are also releasing their 3rd game, Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew which dropped a release date trailer during the PC Gaming Show. I am HYPED! Even if it's largely more of the same, those games scratch an itch I didn't even know I had. Though Desperados is the latest release, I reflect on Shadow Tactics a bit more fondly due to the feudal Japan setting and loving the cast just a bit more. 

I'm a sucker for games with a Japanese aesthetic (whether modern or historical), so Shadow Tactics will likely be the one I play first. And good to know that Shadow Gambit is being made by the same people - I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for coverage of it!

THANK YOU!!!! Compact World encompasses much better what I was trying to convey. "Hey, we're still Open, but we're not totally unfurled". I will be changing those titles in my spreadsheet and on the post. 

?

"Branching Story" is a decent alternative. I'd say it feels too long but it's 14 letters compared to Story Alternator's 15 letters and when I hit the point when I'm counting individual letters on my genre labels I feel like I've gone too deep and need to occupy my mind with other things before I end up a shell of a man. Butterfly Effect just makes me think of Until Dawn lmao

Wow - I only watched 2-3 minutes of that guy's commentary starting from the timestamp but I might have to check out the whole video at some point! Oh Until Dawn, you were such a campy game... ?

Bingo! In Civ 6, the decisions you make at the start of a playthrough (where to build your cities, what government or policies you want to focus on, etc..) have consequences later in the game. Poor early game play can cost you in the late game. While that may sound stressful, I appreciate the gravitas decisions have in those games because EVERYTHING feels important. Grand Level games meanwhile are limited and even if you play super poorly in a level and barely make it out alive, next mission, you're back to 100%. 

For genres, I feel like I now has much smart. Very wisdom. So knowledge. Many brain learnings. 

I'll be honest and say that the Final Fantasy XVI hype train is chugging at 150MPH and I'm damn near tempted to jump on board. I listened to the Friends Per Second podcast featuring a bunch of creators I enjoy and the lead voice actor for the game is a HUGE trophy hunter. He talked about going for the platinum in The Witness & FF13. Instantly made me love him and while I may not play it (at least not at release), I'll probably be glued to some playthrough of it that I find from one of my many streamers.

Yooooo SkillUp and that FPS podcast episode are huge reasons why I am so excited for FF16!! It was awesome hearing the voice actor nerd out about videogames and trophy hunting towards the end, I completely agree. Everyone who has had the chance to have an early preview of segments of the game has really praised the portions of the narrative that they have experienced. I'm also excited to experience a Final Fantasy where the first voice recordings are done in English, plus really intrigued that we don't have a party of characters in the game. (I know that there will be guest characters in parts, probably like how FF2 has several different guests who join the party for certain portions of the quest.)

lmao that had me in stitches. He probably thought to himself: "dammit y'all hold on pull it back" and at the very least could be relieved knowing he had that in his back pocket for the finale. As for the actual trailer itself, I'll confess to you... I saw the first few seconds and closed out! I KNOW NOTHING about the original FF7. Cait Sith and Vincent and Cid? All I know about Cid is from Kingdom Hearts lmao. I've played the FF7 Remake, ADORED IT (seriously, that's my first INSANELY long review of 8k+ words and kinda marks a turning point in this thread) but have so many bloody questions about flashbacks from the original because I genuinely don't know any of the lore. Don't feel bad for mentioning any of those names either, I legit got no idea who you're referencing so it doesn't even qualify as a spoiler lmao

It was really exciting to come across your FFVII Remake review a while back. Final Fantasy VII was my first RPG as a kid, and holds a special place in my heart for many reasons. I'm obviously not alone in that sentiment, but it also meant that it was hard for me to tell how enjoyable FF7:R would be for people who don't have heavy nostalgia goggles on or familiarity with the story and characters. Reading that someone who did not know play the OG game or know the lore still had such a great experience with the game was delightful (and helped me feel validated in saying that it is an incredible game!). 

If you ever want to talk about your Remake questions relating to OG lore (and get potential Rebirth/Game #3 spoilers from it), don't be shy to message me! I also completely understand if you want to continue playing the game without any outside knowledge, however - especially since they've made it clear that these remakes are making changes to the story, and the end of Remake already introduced some big and small changes. 

On 6/20/2023 at 0:53 AM, realm722 said:

Game: Citizen Sleeper (Narrative / Story Alterator)

Analysis: I bought Citizen Sleeper when it was on sale for $15.99 at the end of May 2023. Check another 2022 indie hit off the list for me!

Why Citizen Sleeper? As mentioned above, I am always on the prowl for the latest and greatest indie games making their way to PlayStation consoles. I believe the first time I had ever heard of Citizen Sleeper was during Overlode's Game of the Year Debate 2022. They spoke about the game in a relatively glowing fashion and while I had heard that the game was heavily story-focused with some elements that could even remind some of Disco Elysium, I knew I had to eventually check it out for myself. As the heart and soul of this game is dependent on the narrative, I will warn everybody now that there will be (HEAVY SPOILERS) from here onwards as I can't discuss the game how I'd like to without doing so. 

Oooh! This has been on my list ever since I listened to SkillUp praise the game's story. I'm really excited to hear that the game's narrative is excellent, and via a more thorough review! I did skip past the paragraphs about your favorite characters so as to not influence my own eventual thoughts on the game, but will come back to read that section in the future.

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yes and no. Of all my stupid inside jokes, that one is the stupidest. I went to school for oceanography, I have multiple degrees in it, but my actual job has nothing to do with marine science. I don't even live near the ocean.

In my defense, I have gotten to work in wetlands and estuaries, so I'm not so far removed that I feel those years were a waste. I just like to pretend I get to swim with dolphins, which I think was what I was envisioning 20+ years ago.

To keep from hijacking this thread, I'll say Citizen Sleeper isn't something I've heard of, but I went ahead and added it to my wish list. I seem to do that with a lot of realm's games. You're the reason I can't finish my backlog!

Haha, I don't do anything related to my college degrees either! Also, these trophy cabinet threads are simultaneously the best and worst thing ever for my backlog. ?

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 11:53 PM, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Citizen Sleeper? If you like reading, absolutely.

Sounds like my type of game!

On 6/25/2023 at 7:53 PM, realm722 said:

Sexy Spanish Lady (who serves as your guide)

Nerds everywhere would speak Spanish because of your game but would also not tell anyone HOW they learned Spanish lol

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 2:44 AM, realm722 said:

The Gamer’s Guide to Defining Video Games Genres in the 21st Century

Video game genre definitions and terminology have been bad for a very long time. The situation has gotten worse in recent years due to the number of genres mixing and matching known formulas which only further complicates matters. I know I'm not the only one with this struggle. @Cassylvania has been fighting the good fight for nearly a decade. Categorization and grouping in general can feel like a futile task given the amount of nuance typically involved in most matters. Despite the absurdity of this assignment, I have decided to take this burden upon myself and try to at the very least move the needle in the smallest possible fashion towards a better future of defining video game genres. I may fail. I may succeed. There are going to be some wildly radical ideas I'm going to propose but if you'd just hear out my arguments, I think I could sway you over to my side. Buckle up because we're going on a journey!

Blast from the about 2 week old past, I have just visited my brother and I've got all the folders he's got to me sort games into, I don't know if you'd wanna use any of them realm277, but I think you may like them anyway: (17 pics, I'll put them in the spoiler warning)

Spoiler

A few things to note,

• If the folder is marked with "a" the folder is a sub-genre, and "b" is franchise (or developer's output) and will sometimes only mostly follow the genre indicated by the number.
  • The numbers mark the larger genre that each of the folders belong to. Even then some of the sub folders are very tenuous like the "Mike Bithell" section in the platformers number, despite only one game being a platformer.
    • 0: Games that are effectively multiplayer exclusive
    • 1: Shooters
    • 2: RPGs or has some form of levelling
    • 3: Narrative focused games
    • 4: Platformers
    • 5: Puzzle or Puzzle Adjacent
    • 6: Melee Focused
    • 7: Survival Horror
    • 8: Sports and Racing
    • 9: Tactical
  • These games are mostly on streaming, my brother just likes to see them like this, and many are now unplayable after leaving PS Plus Premium so I don't want anyone asking where they can find Sonic 4 on PS4

Here's my photos:

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Game-folders

Edited by breakingthegreen
Tone edit
  • Like 4

Ruiner has a fantastic soundtrack, it would be a shame if you listen to sth. else while playing :')

I'm a bit surprised about the edgy-ness though, never realized that anime-gf was expressing herself in such a way.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for pointing out their next game, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Yoooo I been sitting on this one for a hot minute, almost slapped it on a few times but something else always won out. Guess I'll have to bump it up the list.

Great write-up my dude, you got me looking forward to the speedrun! Well, that and

1 hour ago, Mori said:

Ruiner has a fantastic soundtrack, it would be a shame if you listen to sth. else while playing :')

I heard the soundtrack is bumpin, that's another reason I copped the game?

• Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, breakingthegreen said:

Blast from the about 2 week old past, I have just visited my brother and I've got all the folders he's got to me sort games into, I don't know if you'd wanna use any of them realm277, but I think you may like them anyway: (17 pics, I'll put them in the spoiler warning)

Just wanted to say thank you for putting all of this together! (and really an even bigger thank you for putting all the images under the spoiler tag, as I am a bit pedantic when it comes to long posts on my thread lol) I finally got around to checking them out and liked a number of the ideas I saw. In terms of specificity, you hit it out of the park. I'm looking for something a little bit more all-encompassing but even a simple title like "Indie Racers" was something that evaded my mind that beautifully describes a number of games that I've played that shouldn't just be defined under racing like Need for Speed, Burnout, The Crew, etc... so thank you! I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from the genre-defining front since it was a bit maddening but thanks to all y'alls wonderfully feedback I'm going to have to plenty to chew on it when I inevitably revisit the subject a few months down the line.

5 hours ago, Mori said:

I'm a bit surprised about the edgy-ness though, never realized that anime-gf was expressing herself in such a way.

Yea, I'll admit that when it comes to playing games, soundtracks can be some of my biggest blindspots. I very frequently am listening to other stuff ESPECIALLY if it's a game with a repetitive gameplay loop. Doesn't mean I always ignore them, but sometimes I'll 100% play a game and go online to read stuff about it and all a lot of people talk about is the soundtrack and uhh... yea, missed the wagon on it. I listened to a bit of it while working on some my spreadsheets and it's nice, but much like a lot of the game, not my style hah. 

Also happy I brought some attention to their next game! It's not until I really got into this organization obsession that I started to care what studios make what games. It sounds dumb, but whenever I used to see a trailer that started with: "from the makers of X" I'd think it'd be cheesy but now I 100% understand given most players DON'T keep track of which studios make their favorite games outside of the REALLY big ones (Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Nintendo, etc...)

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Yoooo I been sitting on this one for a hot minute, almost slapped it on a few times but something else always won out. Guess I'll have to bump it up the list.

Great write-up my dude, you got me looking forward to the speedrun!

Hope you enjoy it! The more games I play, the more I love ones with snappiness that respect your time and want to get you right back out for for the next attempt. I also have an increasing lack of patience for games that are poorly optimized in this way (cough Golf Club Wasteland cough). I'll look forward to your review!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was initially very excited when I heard about Endling coming to PS+ Catalog, but the repetitiveness of the gameplay has greatly dimmed my enthusiasm for the game. Now it's probably something that I will eventually tackle when I'm looking for a short plat-in-an-afternoon game after playing a 100h game or something. 

On 7/31/2023 at 9:42 PM, realm722 said:

I am laughing from the sheer notion of a video game making me cry. The CLOSEST I've ever come was (actually let me not put that here, check the spoiler at the bottom of this post. It's a TwD spoiler). But even then, I didn't cry. Movies don't make me cry. The closest I've come on that front is 50/50 & Coco (because of the grandmother) and I've seen A LOT of sad movies. Books don't make me cry. I've written some pretty soul-wrenching letters to loved ones in my day and while they make me emotional, I don't get pushed over the waterfall cliff into tears. I say all this not to say "LOOK AT ME I DON'T CRY". I actually cry. A fair amount. But like... from life. Never media. Does anyone else experience this? Because I always feel like a bit of a freak when people talk about how much something made them cry and I just can't relate. Life stuff? Yea. Media? Absolutely not. 

I'm also in the apparently-minority group of people who doesn't cry from emotional movies and video games. It definitely makes me feel awkward sometimes, especially since some people think I'm just lying out of embarrassment or something because how could a woman not cry at sad movies(!). Sure, sad movies have their sad moments, and there are a handful crafted well enough to actually make me feel sorrow, but with only one exception in three decades I've not been brought to tears from the emotion. That exception is Studio Ghibli's Graveyard of the Fireflies - a movie that follows two Japanese war orphan siblings during World War II. I've watched a lot of movies set in WWII, documentaries about the atrocities of WWII, etc., but what got me in this movie is that I related a lot to 14-year-old protagonist Seita taking care of his 4-year-old Setsuko. There is a similar age gap between myself and my younger sister, who I feel I partially helped to raise, so the ending really hit me emotionally.

I find it even more challenging to get a strong emotional feeling from a videogame, mainly due to the very nature of the medium where the developers cannot fully control your experience. Even in a linear story-driven game, if there is a heavy emotional scene and then a small breather before the next scene, the devs have no control over whether it takes me 5 minutes or 15 minutes to complete the small breather. Maybe I pause the game during the breather and get a snack, or get up to use the bathroom. Taking even a minute break from a game means that one's mind is temporarily thinking about something else, and so the emotions from the game take a back seat for a moment, thus dampening their impact on oneself. That doesn't make it impossible for a videogame to elicit a strong emotional response out of me, just much more difficult than a movie where the director has complete control over the pacing of events (and I'm much less likely to pause a movie, or unable to at all if I'm in a theater). I've never cried from a video game, but two that instantly come to mind for eliciting a strong emotional reaction from me are The Last of Us and NieR: Automata. This has actually inspired me to write a post in my cabinet about the games that have done this for me, so cheers!

Anyways, this is all to say that I can definitely relate to feeling like an outsider in those types of situations. 

• Like 2

hero

Game: Never Alone (2D Platformer / Puzzle)

Analysis: I bought the game when it was on sale for $2.24 in December 2022 and the Foxtales DLC when it went on sale for $0.79 in February 2023. 

Why Never Alone? It's the start of yet another month which means it was time to play another 100%. I started scrolling through my backlog. I bought FAR: Lone Sails because both @Cassylvania and @Briste spoke fairly highly about the game in their respective threads. But since I'm kind of in the weeds at the moment with an ultra-rare plat I didn't wanna take a few days away to focus on another game so I passed up on it. Two other 100%'s that I have in the holster included Momodora (which is a really fun word to say) and Broforce. But unfortunately, as with FAR: Lone Sails, I felt like they'd take too much time despite their brevity away from the game I'm honing in on. I dug deep into the backlog and said: "oh yea there's that game with the girl and the fox I could play". The 100% completion times were within 2-3 hours. Perfect! Time for me to see what a studio in Anchorage, Alaska could produce! 

The Paragraph Where I Say Nice Things - If I had to put on my Toxic Positivity Hat, the aspect I would most want to praise about Never Alone has very little to do with the game itself. The game actually has a collectible in the form of "Cultural Insights" which are collected when finding any number of owls on a given level. Most of them are encountered naturally but there are a rare few you could accidentally bypass or miss if you aren't diligently searching out the game's rare view optional paths while playing. These insights have relatively little to do with the in-game narrative and rather focus on the life and culture of people in Alaska. They're remarkably brief, never lasting more than a minute or two. If you're curious about what some of them look like, you can check out this YouTube playlist that has them in neat and tidy order. As someone who lives in South Florida and has grown up with Hispanic culture, it's nice to learn about some cultures that live in drastically opposite conditions to my own. Aside from that, the game has some cute animations, and if you're an animal lover, the game will undoubtedly pull at some hearstrings. 

This Game Is Fox Water - Now that we've gotten the pleasantries out of the way, holy crap y'all, this is a bad video game. It's not unforgivably bad. Sometimes I feel like I read someone finally play a bad game in their life and it reads purposefully overexaggerated to the point of being grating. How bad could it really be, man? I will not be requesting any voluntary lobotomies. But sheesh man, I know the game was originally released in 2014 which is going to make it nearly a damn decade old at this point (oh god) but it's not... any fun to play. You play as the girl and the little fox. You click the triangle to alternate between the two. In most sections, you need to balance the usage of both to progress or find the solution to a puzzle. The issue is, the all-important "game feel" is absolutely atrocious. Everything feels clunky. I'll give one small example. When you leap in this game, if your character is facing to the left, if you jump while facing left, your character is incapable of turning in mid-air to grasp for the ledge you're aiming for on the right. That sounds like a very small issue relatively. But it isn't. It makes the game feel lethargic. Like I'm controlling two Boeing 747's who need 3 miles of runway in order to properly reach their intended destination. As the girl, you also have a "bola" which you need to use to fire at certain obstacles and glowing white orbs in order to convert them into platforms and for whatever reason they let this be really flexible where you aim and fire with the same left stick and it just... it feels bad. I'm not even going to get into the abysmal floaty controls of the fox trying to pull things in the latter chapters. (SPOILER ALERT) The fox dies. After it dies, the fox is now a boy in the sky. The boy in the sky can fly. You help the girl with the flying white fox boy and it somehow feels even worse than anything in the game prior to it. 

The Most Exasperating Sensation - I'm going to describe a certain feeling I've had in this game, and I've had in other games, that I don't think I've ever seen described so I'm going to try really hard in this paragraph to accurately convey it and hope I'm not alone in feeling it. When you're playing a game like this, one that is generally not that good and has some questionable controls and physics, do you ever run into sections where you keep dying over, and over again, not because of any actual difficulty, but because the game is so poorly crafted that it almost becomes a comedy skit at how many times you'll fail over and over again? Everything feels slow. The movement, the simple act of getting your character from point A to point B, is painstaking. I know that when it happens to me, I start to literally shift in my office chair that I play in (never buy a gaming chair, folks). I start getting remarkably uneasy. Remember, THIS ISN'T DIFFICULT. When something is difficult, it'll at the very least command my attention. This is more like child's play where you need to wait for the girl in the televison to do the thing that you already know you need to do but due to the cosmically atrocious programming, that seemingly simple act now feels like a slot machine where you need the stupid pachinko ball to land on black. 

This Game (Somehow) Has DLC - Once I had conquered the agonizing mountain that was the base game, I then had some bonus levels to enjoy! Somehow, the creators managed to justify DLC for this sub-2-hour adventure. It's... more of the same. But now the enemy is a big rat and there's also a cute little squirrel you're trying to help as well! Thankfully, the DLC can all be completed in like 40 minutes which is somehow nearly like half of the base game's run-time so I think pound for pound, this is the biggest DLC I've ever purchased in relative size when comparing how much play-time is added on top of the base game. All for less than 80 cents! Talk about a steal!

Would I recommend Never Alone? No. I would not recommend this game. I think you can get the vast majority of what I found "good" about the game by simply watching the YouTube playlist I linked above. In terms of meaningful gameplay interaction, there's remarkably little here that I actually enjoyed. I decided to go look up some review scores of the game for when it released back in 2014. Metacritic seems pretty reasonable. While those are higher ratings than what I'd give it, I have to remember how much indie gaming has progressed over the last decade. People will also give higher scores for a unique setting and cute visuals. There is something novel about the developers and the circumstances they come from. But then I read this Eurogamer review. A genuine, unabashed 10/10? I'm going to go and take a walk. I understand games mean different things to different people. But... good lord. I'll finish here since I feel bad for punching down on a game that was made with love. They announced a sequel. Incredible, 8 years after their initial release, and with all that time in the lab cooking up with their team's entire imaginative brain power the best they could cook up with is a bloody sequel. I'm sorry. I'll stop now. I earned the 4.89% rarity 100% in 3 hours and 20 minutes. YA DUN! 

Panda Score: 4.91 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.22 / 10

• Like 4

Next up on the chopping block: Spirit of the North, Seasons After Fall, Okami, The First Tree, and Tunic. Gotta play all the fox games!

I feel bad for little Inuit girl and her furry companion. I remember thinking it was a slightly below average platformer, but it didn't fill me with seething hatred.

Pumped for the Planet Coaster review.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

hero

It's interesting to read a review of a game that I only have faint memories of! I initially played the game in 2015 and then felt obligated to complete the DLC in 2016 to maintain my 100%, haha.

I thought it was really awesome that the game developers worked with indigenous tribe members to preserve parts of their language and culture, and so I appreciated that the Cultural Insights were included as part of the game. I also recall that the platforming controls were not the best, but I probably mentally gave it a pass at the time because of indie studio expectations back then, as you referenced. 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 6:24 PM, pelagia14 said:

I'm also in the apparently-minority group of people who doesn't cry from emotional movies and video games. It definitely makes me feel awkward sometimes, especially since some people think I'm just lying out of embarrassment or something because how could a woman not cry at sad movies(!). Sure, sad movies have their sad moments, and there are a handful crafted well enough to actually make me feel sorrow, but with only one exception in three decades I've not been brought to tears from the emotion. 

Yea... that's a unique perspective I hadn't thought about. "Oh you're lying about not crying from the movie!" But homie... who here thinks crying is a "bad" thing that they would wish others think they didn't when they did? Maybe 20+ years ago that'd be something people would do but I think we're past that by this point. 

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Next up on the chopping block: Spirit of the North, Seasons After Fall, Okami, The First Tree, and Tunic. Gotta play all the fox games!

Okami is hands down the best of that bunch. The First Tree was fine. Tunic seemed hella convoluted with that map but it has a 40%+ plat rate. Something in my soul makes me feel like it could come to PS+ Users one day. We'll see. Spirit of the North & Seasons After Fall blend together for me and both strike me as definitive 6/10's where I struggle to find much to say. Holy crap. There really are a lot of games about foxes yea?

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm kinda pumped to write it. Hadn't played a game even vaguely similar in well over a year!

16 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I thought it was really awesome that the game developers worked with indigenous tribe members to preserve parts of their language and culture, and so I appreciated that the Cultural Insights were included as part of the game. I also recall that the platforming controls were not the best, but I probably mentally gave it a pass at the time because of indie studio expectations back then, as you referenced. 

Maybe I was too harsh in the review. It's definitely not good. But apart from 4-5 sections, I got through it quickly all on my first attempt. I played it late at night and was rushing to finish it because I needed to go to bed so that probably added to my exasperation. On another night I just give it a 5.5 and call it a day. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, Cassylvania said:

I feel bad for little Inuit girl and her furry companion. I remember thinking it was a slightly below average platformer, but it didn't fill me with seething hatred.

FYI, in Ōkami you play as a wolf goddess, not a fox. ? Though there is a fox character in the game! Gosh, it's wild to think that the game was first released in 2006...

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

Yea... that's a unique perspective I hadn't thought about. "Oh you're lying about not crying from the movie!" But homie... who here thinks crying is a "bad" thing that they would wish others think they didn't when they did? Maybe 20+ years ago that'd be something people would do but I think we're past that by this point. 

It's totally bizarre! Part of me wonders if it is people just not being able to understand that it's possible for someone to have a different reaction to (a piece of media) compared to their own reaction. 

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

Maybe I was too harsh in the review. It's definitely not good. But apart from 4-5 sections, I got through it quickly all on my first attempt. I played it late at night and was rushing to finish it because I needed to go to bed so that probably added to my exasperation. On another night I just give it a 5.5 and call it a day. 

That definitely makes sense!

• Like 1

1*VxRxPwU2oWVLONwkE6ZYBA.jpeg

Travis Scott is the "Great Gameplay, Bad Story" of Music

Somehow, I think I've managed to create a thread with nearly 700 replies over the course of 6 years without ever mentioning my music preferences. I think this has ultimately been a wise decision. Lots of people hug their music preferences quite closely to their chest. Being critical or dismissive of the music someone loves is a great way to get on the fast track of being disliked. Hell, just mentioning your OWN music preferences could already put some people off from liking you. But enough about being vague. What music do I love and listen to on a daily basis? The king at the moment is the man in the image above. The 32-year-old Houston rapper who burst onto the scene with Rodeo, followed it up with Birds in the Trap(which most people don't care for and view as his worst record but that album is catchy as hell and still sticks with me), the wickedly commercially acclaimed Astroworld (which brought him into mainstream widespread appeal), and of course his latest album, Utopia, which I have been listening to for damn near every day since it released around a week and a half ago. 

I'm not gonna be a poser and pretend I've been on since the very beginning. I jumped on when Astroworld began to pick up some steam, loved it, went back and listened to his old discography, loved it, and have been on the bandwagon ever since eagerly awaiting his 4th album drop. Of course, anyone with even some vague knowledge of the music industry probably knows what I'm going to bring up now. The AstroWorld Festival tragedy. One of the worst incidents in terms of recent music festival history, over 300 people were injured and 10 young people lost their lives in the accident. Travis received a great amount of scorn for apparently doing very little to pause the concert to assist the ambulance and emergency staff rushing into to try and help victims of the crowd rush. Twitter flooded with tons of videos showing other artists stopping shows when it appeared members of the crowd or even individuals were in distress. He received further ridicule for the paltry apology afterward. There were some hate campaigns online. All in all, since then, in June 2023 a grand jury refused to indict of any criminal charges. Live Nation, the group that organized the event has been heavily criticized due to their lackluster safety procedures which contributed to the event. 

I mention all this because you can't really talk about Travis at this point without mentioning it. Some people still hate him for it. I don't really have energy to hate people. A lot of online hatred is not even knowing or caring about somebody's existence until they do something and then you can pile on. (See: the Lizzo hate train that formed this past week). I don't know Lizzo. Haven't really listened to her music. Haven't read the article or anything summarizing the lawsuit. So I'm just gonna stay quiet cuz I don't know any better. As for the Travis incident, I'd be lying if I said it put me off from his music. I still listen to old Kanye despite the fact he's gone off the deep end. Yet somehow, all his antics have made me still not even bother listening to Donda even after the hype train it had with it being released. Maybe because I've fallen out of love with his sound and style compared to pre-Yeezus. 

But let's get to the reason for the title of this article. What the hell does that even mean? Well, I've written some posts in the past about how generally bad I think most video game stories are. It's to the point where I play most games expecting the story to serve as texturing and flavoring at best as opposed to being the driving force behind my experience. Large amounts of my enjoyment come from character interactions, atmosphere, vibes, and the all-important gameplay. If the gameplay's amazing, even if the story is TRASH, I'm probably going to love the game. Dead Cells & Furi are some examples of this. Hell, if you wanted to argue they didn't even have "stories" and they're merely there as an excuse to facilitate the action combat that the developers wanted, I'll grant you that every day of the week. 

Travis Scott is the "great gameplay, nonexistent story" of the music industry. 

When I listen to Travis' music, especially since Rodeo, I cannot think of a single poignant song or any lyric with a meaningful purpose. I can recite A LOT of lyrics due to the amount I've played them back. But in terms of purposefulness? I think his Rodeo song, Pray 4 Love, has a higher volume of an actual message than any of his entire 3 albums COMBINED since then.

Song Link

Man, I can't take no more of this lifestyle we been living
Man, I can't take no more of the white powers in position
Gotta grab up J-Will, gotta scoop up J-Rich
Told Chase we ain't going back, you know we gotta hitch
I mean, I'm aggravated, agitated, I admit
Intoxicated, animated, got me feeling kinda lit
Contemplating fornicating, might as well fuck up some shit
They looking at me way too crazy, got me feeling communist

&

Tired of seein' these black kids on the face of FOX (Oh-oh)
And fuck CNN, they don't wanna see us win (Say it loud)

Ever since then, Travis' actual message has been... remarkably small. It still sounds utterly incredible. Seriously. I have been non-stop jamming out to Utopia.

Favorite Songs: Sirens (after the intro, got me feeling like I'm galloping on a horse in an old Western movie), LOOOVE (they love how the disc rock, they lovin' the Jac goddamn), HYAENA (write a story about myself like I'm Chelsea Handler or write a show about my bitches like I'm Kelsey Grammer), Thank God (the rhythmic chimes at the start and the way he transcends towards the end), Meltdown (club ain't been the same since we lost Mercedes), I Know ? (slow start, fast as hell finish), Circus Maximus (Travis' version of Kanye's Black Skinhead), Modern Jam (Teezo absolutely going full Dave Chappelle Rick James at the end)

Yet I acknowledge nothing that appeals to me about Travis and makes him my favorite contemporary artist is anything the man says lyrically. Hell, I don't really know the dude as a person. He doesn't do interviews. He doesn't really do any purposeful social media. There's the utterly iconic chemistry vacant video he has with the MOTHER OF HIS CHILD that has people in the comments hysterical. I've never cared about the dude, I've never cared about the lyrics or what he has to say, it's the pure rhythm, the beats, the vibes, that make him the greatest for me at the moment and I can't think of a better way to describe it than a video game where the story may as well have been written by a kindergartner yet the gameplay would make PlatinumGames developers weep. 

• Like 3

f321c065cf3f405b6d0ac06fd5a550d6a95b5a5e

To Play Baldur's Gate 3 OR Not To Play Baldur's Gate 3?

Hey everybody, I don't know if you've heard about this game or not, but apparently, this little-known indie title is starting to make some waves in the gaming community. I mean, i say that, because I haven't been able to scroll Twitter for more than a minute without having somebody mention something about the game whether it be the fact that it's currently Steam's #2 Most Played just behind CS:GO which if you know anything about Steam is... bloody mindboggling. The game is currently being praised to a degree that I haven't seen in quite some time. On r/Gaming, this simple, understandable pop-up by the developer, Larian Studios, mentioning why the game doesn't have any microtransactions, has over 66k upvotes. The collective circlejerk around this game for this inclusion has made it the standout example people are using to dunk on every other developer. If you go to the game's Steam reviews, good luck finding a single one that doesn't make some reference to "Ubisoft" or "EA" or "Blizzard" or resoundingly denounce the rest of the game developing landscape for not making this particular game. 

You know a game has hit a special stratosphere when I'm bloody writing about it despite not having played it. The last time I did this was with Genshin Impact. Oh no. That was nearly two years ago and because of that post, I single-handedly drained @Cassylvania of several hundreds of dollars hours of their life. I feel like these posts are the equivalent of that movie where people have the time on their arms about how much time they have left alive and every time I make a post like this, Justin Timberlake breaks into Cassy's home and drains a few hundred more off the clock. In all seriousness, the hype has reached far and wide, it's even hit me directly. I've managed to do a good job of resisting the hype in the past. I nearly bought No Man's Sky for a full $60 at release. Yet I resisted, and am thankful for doing so. The same nearly happened for Cyberpunk2077 which I thought was going to "break video games" for All-Time. In a way, it kinda did. The latest hype train that nearly ran me over was Final Fantasy XVI. Ultimately, I didn't buy it. I saw Joseph Anderson stream it instead. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't buy it and instead enjoyed of it what I could as a viewer. Yet here has come along yet another game trying to dig its claws into me... let's review the pros and cons.

The Arguments for Playing BG3 - 1) I've never played a CRPG. Whether it be the Pillars of Eternity Franchise or those Planescape games, I can say personally that I have never dabbled in the genre. While I may dispute the name under official genre classification (we hate the term RPG around here in case you're new), it'd undoubtedly be one hell of a time to dip my toe into the vast waters that are its history. I imagine I'm hardly the only one who has been sucked in and I have no doubt I'd have A LOT to say about it. 2) These games don't come around often. Lemme tell you, I've heard of Larian Studios before. Their previous game, Divinity Original Sin II, I first discovered when one of my favorite (now retired) YouTubers/Streamers made a series on it. He didn't play the game "normally". Instead, he played it in a permadeath role as "Sallazahar the Art Thief" and role-played in its vast world. Let me tell you, it's one of my favorite and most hilarious YouTube series I've ever seen in my life. I still remember him mimicking the voice of a famed character "Jahan" and saying "mi casa es su casa" only for him to accidentally trespass and get ANNIHILATED by a character around 30 levels higher than himself ending the run. The role-play of that series sticks with me to this day and that's something this game has a unique ability to offer. 3) It'd be fun to finally play a game while it's HOT and being talked about it. I never play games when they're "in the zeitgeist". I typically get around to them at the earliest a year or two later. 4) This game of all games is better experienced than watched due to the role-playing ability and turn-based combat. 

The Arguments Against Playing BG3 - 1) The absolute black hole this would create around my gaming calendar. It's unsurprising that a game like this is projected to be at around 80+ hours for a full play through. That's gargantuan in its own right but when you consider how I like to play a minimum of 4 titles per month, I'm either having to squeeze in 3 tiny ass games in order to facilitate everything around BG3 or punt on a variety for a few months in order to bask in the game's world. I'm hesitant to do that because I do enjoy playing an array of titles and struggle to switch back and forth once I'm invested. 2) I'm scared it's not gonna live up to the hype. How could that be? It's receiving both critical and mass acclaim! Yea... but man... it's the way people talk about the game. When something is a cheerleader or poster for something because it represents the opposite of what they hate, sometimes people become rather silent to a game's own shortcomings. I'm hesitant about how it could feel bloated or I could check out of lengthy dialogue sequences. I'm worried I'm gonna be overwhelmed by the menus and vast options. I'm worried that turn-based combat is gonna be slow or so unbalanced that it's either a no-contest or laborious. 3) We'll know soon enough, but the platinum is probably going to be a nightmare. The trophy list hasn't been released yet but if DS2 is anything to go by, MULTIPLE playthroughs would be a death sentence for me. 

The Final Verdict - To Be Decided. if I had to lean anywhere, I'd lean towards no. I still have time to be swayed in the opposite direction. The game is projected to come to PlayStation 5 on September 6th. The momentum and hype built up from the PC release currently has it has the #1 most wish-listed game on the PS Store. I'm happy for Larian Studios. They deserve their success and I hope the game really is as brilliant and magnificent as everyone has billed it up to be. I'm just not sure I'm ready to jump on that wagon just yet. Though, if I do need some incentive, they ARE a studio based out of Belgium so that does entice me as somebody who likes playing games from every country... 

• Like 3