RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, realm722 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

The 'Rona Finally Got Me Y'all

Ouch. I feel ya man, hope you're feeling better soon.

Also, for some reason I never end up rooting for the Heat in the finals. Usually it's out of west coast loyalty (how many times did we see THAT repeat), but this time it's because I have in-laws in Denver. Normally I got best wishes for you but... sorry, go Nuggets?

On 6/3/2023 at 11:34 AM, realm722 said:

The 'Rona Finally Got Me Y'all

Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience. Luckily when I finally got it September of last year I was mostly fine outside of one day where I had bad body aches. I set up my PS5 in my room and my fiancee slept on the couch and I was just gaming and working in my room for 10 days it was like a vacation for me lol. That said I definitely don't want it again it gets boring separating yourself from society. 

• Like 1

Cheers for this one - a good write up... and a timely reminder that I'm part of this problem...

19 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I'm a bit stunned at how shockingly few owners Dicey Dungeons has across the 4 possible regions/versions. 287 at the time of this review.

...since I bought it when it came out, and haven't got to it yet ?

Also - hope you're feeling better!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, realm722 said:

There's just one small problem y'all.

I don't really know the difference between a roguelike and a roguelite

Yooooooooo same. My husband would constantly correct me on the difference between the two, and every once in a while I would do a quick Google to try to remember the difference between the two genres. I've always struggled to remember the "-like" versus "-lite" (especially since they have only one different letter). Not sure why "Rogue-like is like Rogue (the game)" never came to mind as a memory device before, but that is fantastic - thank you! 

I recently platinumed Inscryption and have been making my way through Hades for a while now. I hadn't really played a rogue-anything before, and gosh those two games are absolute perfection. The meta-progression aspect of those two games absolutely sunk their claws into me, and it's made me a lot more excited for when I get around to the intimidatingly large (and likely difficult) Dead Cells. I never thought that some of my favorite games would be rogue-lites, and I'm aware that I started out with two of the most highly-regarded games in that subgenre, but it's still exciting to discover that there are new genres that click with me!

Hardliners who want "Rogue-like" to be games that are exactly in the vein of the game Rogue are missing the mark, in my opinion. The difference between games that feature meta-progression and those that don't is huge (even though I've not played a Rogue-like yet, personally). Making "Rogue-like" a much more narrow definition would make the label "Rogue-lite" a lot less helpful. Admittedly, I don't know what percentage of Rogue-like games would still fall under its label if the definition were changed, but it still seems like something that would mostly benefit fans of Rogue and not the videogame community at large. The whole point of genre labels is that they are supposed to give a general idea of a videogame's gameplay, not faithfully follow every single item on a checklist. 

• Like 3

Or you can be like me and just make a meme that they're essentially the same thing.

It gets really difficult once you start trying to organize every game into a single genre. For example, you classified Tunche as a rogue-lite, but I put it under beat 'em up, as that's where I put Foul Play. You also did NOT include Frost as a rogue-anything, despite it being very similar to Slay the Spire. And what about Darkest Dungeon? That's probably the game I struggle with the most to categorize. I called it a rogue-something, but it's hard NOT to put it in the same group as XCOM or Grand Kingdom (which might not even be in the same genre). And what is Minecraft? It's procedurally generated and you can lose all your progress when you die. Is it a farming sim? A survival game? An open world sandbox?

This stuff makes my head hurt. For eight years, I've struggled with this.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I recently platinumed Inscryption and have been making my way through Hades for a while now. I hadn't really played a rogue-anything before, and gosh those two games are absolute perfection. The meta-progression aspect of those two games absolutely sunk their claws into me, and it's made me a lot more excited for when I get around to the intimidatingly large (and likely difficult) Dead Cells. I never thought that some of my favorite games would be rogue-lites, and I'm aware that I started out with two of the most highly-regarded games in that subgenre, but it's still exciting to discover that there are new genres that click with me!

Hah, if I had to pick any two games to get people into the genre those two would probably be my pick! I realize that one of the reasons I love them so much is because in a very weird way... roguelites are some of the most sports-like genre of video games we have. Once you know the rules and are familiar with the game, it's all about execution above all else. Sometimes you'll have good players (good items, fortunate luck, strong play) and other runs you'll have a bad "season" where it was just never meant to be. It makes that special moment when everything comes together OR you finally get over the hump all that more special!

11 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Admittedly, I don't know what percentage of Rogue-like games would still fall under its label if the definition were changed, but it still seems like something that would mostly benefit fans of Rogue and not the videogame community at large. The whole point of genre labels is that they are supposed to give a general idea of a videogame's gameplay, not faithfully follow every single item on a checklist. 

Yup, 100% agree. I decided to search up a few of the games he mentioned and they include ADOM (1k steam reviews), Cataclysm (196 reviews), Cogmind (1k reviews), & Tales of Maj'Eyal (4.8k reviews). I'll admit I'm stunned they have as many as they do. I thought none of them would have more than 500 and instead it seems the super niche core fanbase really does support any games that are decent and come along of its ilk. But in terms of the mainstream, a roguelite like Neon Abyss has 17k reviews and isn't one of the... 15 most popular in the last 10 years? I think it's fair to say the more stringent definition has lost its battle.

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It gets really difficult once you start trying to organize every game into a single genre. For example, you classified Tunche as a rogue-lite, but I put it under beat 'em up, as that's where I put Foul Play. You also did NOT include Frost as a rogue-anything, despite it being very similar to Slay the Spire. And what about Darkest Dungeon? That's probably the game I struggle with the most to categorize. I called it a rogue-something, but it's hard NOT to put it in the same group as XCOM or Grand Kingdom (which might not even be in the same genre). And what is Minecraft? It's procedurally generated and you can lose all your progress when you die. Is it a farming sim? A survival game? An open world sandbox?

This stuff makes my head hurt. For eight years, I've struggled with this.

You know what Cassy... you just inspired me. New article idea in the cooker. I'm gonna try and revolutionize some archaic terminology. Wish me luck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Briste said:

Quick wellness check. Was a rough couple of days in the Realm of sports for Florida...see what I did there? I was rooting for you after your guys knocked out both of my teams. Jimmy Buckets just didn't have enough help.

In all seriousness, I was in a very miserable mood after witnessing the 3rd quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Finals and I realized: "oh wow they're just straight up way better than us". Was thrilled about being the first team to beat Denver at home. Then they just came down here and reminded everyone why they spanked everybody out West (minus Phoenix cuz Devin Booker played like Michael Jordan for a few games). Now that some days have passed, I think it's going to go down as one of my favorite times alive ever as a sports fan. Even with no hardware, witnessing TWO of my teams as #8 seeds simultaneously make it all the way to the Championship is something that I don't think will ever happen again. Maybe it could. But it sure as hell is never gonna be frequent lol. As for the Panthers, I enjoyed the entire run. I was so happy I got to see us FINALLY win a Stanley Cup game (after getting swept in '96) that the spanking in G5 didn't hurt so bad. Our entire team is dead (Tkachuk, Ekblad) and after an insane ECF the magic finally ran out for ol' Bob. Only wish the Vegas fans online weren't such jerks about their victory... y'all literally started existing less than 6 years ago where is all this pent-up rage from? 

Probably the best time I've ever been alive for all 4 of my times simultaneously. I can't freaking wait for football season. This is quite easily the most talented Dolphins teams of my lifetime. I don't wanna say Super Bowl (let's win a playoff game for the first time in 20 years pls), but with Fangio as DC managing the D, a monster corner duo in X/Ramsey, Tua with a 2nd year making chemistry with Tyreek/Waddle, I expect us to challenge Buffalo for the division even if we may not win it. The bloody Marlins are even having the best start to a season since 1997! Luis Arraez is one of my favorite trade acquisitions of All-Time. Saw him go 5/5 tonight! If only Sandy could get out of... whatever godforsaken funk he's been in this entire year. Just seeing more playoff baseball would be a blast. I've had one small snort of it since 2003 (the 2020 60-game shortened year where we ended the Cubbies 2016 core and then got ass blasted by Atlanta)

• Like 1

That was an exhausting read. I could feel your soul leaving your body as you tried to navigate your way through all those definitions because you were typing what we've both been experiencing for years. (I'm actually in the midst of updating my game categories right now.)

I think you're right. Games are so diverse now that most of them probably can't be adequately described by a single genre. Two or three sounds about right. I tend to think of "generic" categories (i.e. the ones you hate, like "role-playing game" and "adventure") as a higher order of classification, like in taxonomy. Most games would fall into one of those categories, but some have additional specifications. The more niche a game is, the lower the order and thus the smaller number of games that belong to that group. So, when I classify games, I try to consider the lowest taxonomic order for each game. That's where I would place it.

To give you an example, let's take Hollow Knight. It's an action game, but so are a lot of games. It's also a platformer, but so are a lot of games. It's also a Metroidvania. I would consider that to be the lowest taxonomic order in which it could be placed, so if I HAD to place it under a single genre, that's where it would go. Yes, we could probably further divide up "Metroidvania", but I also find that to be problematic. The more genres you're willing to accept, the more that line between genres gets blurred. You, for example, suggested separate genres for Oxenfree and Afterparty. I know your argument is that they could fall under multiple categories, but eventually it gets to a point where you're coming up with genres that only have one or two entries. Like... Pinball. You have Arcade as a genre. Pinball is an arcade game. Why can't Tetris be a genre too? There are a lot more games based off Tetris than pinball.

I think it's a losing battle for us. I tried making Souls-like a genre, but then what do I do with Hollow Knight when I also have Metroidvania? I have Stealth as a category, as you do, and that's where I put Shadow Tactics, but then I'm leaving it out of Strategy... Little Nightmares is a stealth game, I guess, but it's conceptually the same thing as Unravel.

In any case, I think having less categories is an easier way to maintain your sanity.

• Like 4

That was a good read! I always chuckle when "big" game trailers get announced and the game itself is presented as the next RPG-Action-Adventure.. and I think to myself, cool.. then all you see is a cinematic trailer and I learned nothing what the actual game is going to be about.

A small suggestion. Boss-Killers are also known as Boss-Rush(es). I dont know if this term is established but personally I immediately know what is meant when someone says Boss-Rush. Boss-Killers isnt confusing though, so it's not a big deal.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

"Adventure" - I loathe this term. What the hell is an adventure game?

It's a point-n-click game, like the old Lucas Arts and Sierra games.

Generally puzzle-solving, via use of actions/ specific verbs, or specific items found (or combined).

A "modern adventure game" would also encompass something like Telltale's The Walking Dead, which maintains the point-n-click narrative elements, but largely gets rid of the puzzle aspects, and even the Quantic Dream / Supermassive games, which allow direct control of characters, but still maintain the largely "go here, interact here, talk here, go there" structure. 

"Beat 'Em Up" (see: Tunche) - Beat 'Em Up games are ones in which the player engages in hand-to-hand combat with enemies typically across a variety of 2D side-scrolling levels. This is a term I wrestled with tossing out (I mean c'mon, in what action game are you not beating them up) but ultimately kept around due to the instantaneous recognizability of the genre. When you see Streets of Rage 4River City Girls, or Scott Pilgrim vs the World, you automatically know what I'm talking about. Thus the term still remains useful and deserves to be kept around. 

I think this one has largely been retired, in favour of "Brawler" - because of the evolution of 3D games. Stuff like the Greek God of War games is clearly a 3D evolution of the likes of Streets of Rage, and gets the term "brawler" usually, so the games they came from - Streets of Rage / Turtles / Golden Axe etc. sort of get "2D Brawler" retrofitted to them.

(NEW) "Boss Killer" (see: Furi & Jotun) - Boss Killer games are ones in which the main gameplay loop focus on combat against bosses. This does NOT include games where boss fights form a mere main component of the game (such as Elden Ring or Hollow Knight). If you've played the two games I've featured here, you'll know what I'm talking about. In Furi, there are these lengthy walking segments between fights, but you are here above all else for the lengthy action-sequenced boss fights. In Jotun, there are some brief levels of puzzles and navigation before the final foe of the area, but the boss fights are WHY you're here. On the other hand, Hollow Knight has a vast world with platforming and minor combat enemies and the same can be said for Elden Ring in the form of exploration. 

I'm with @Mori on this one - I'd probably say "boss Rush". Technically, Boss Rush implies a specific mode within a game, excising the main game for purely the bosses - but like Mori says, I would probably know what you meant more readily with the term "a boss rush game" than a "boss killer game"

Grid-Based" (see: The Banner Saga 3 & Ash of Gods: Redemption) - Grid-based games are typically turn-based and rather than active, free movement, the player must control their characters on a tile-based surface creating a grid. These games tend to be focused on tactics or strategy and engage the player mentally more so than with dexterity. 

Personally, I'd probably say "TRPG" for that one, but I know what you mean.

"Roguelike" (see: Risk of Rain 2 & Wizard of Legend) - Roguelikes are games in which the player engages in "runs" as a character through procedurally generated levels. If they die, their progress is wiped and they must start from the beginning. These games tend to be high in difficulty and meta-progression IS NOT a core aspect of the gameplay loop. 

"Roguelite" (see: HadesChildren of Morta, & Rogue Legacy) - Roguelites are games in which the player engages in "runs" as a character through procedurally generated levels. If they die, their progress is wiped and they must start from the beginning. These games tend to be high in difficulty and meta-progression IS a core aspect of the gameplay loop. 

Am I the only one that thinks this distinction is silly?

Both "Rogue-lites" and "rogue-likes" tend to have about as much in common with the original "Rogue" than each other - seems like folks are always trying to find little wedges to separate the two in terms of distinction, but as soon as they come up with one, it gets broken by another ?

(NEW) "Mosey Adventure" (see: Dear EstherShape of the World, & Journey) - Mosey Adventure games are ones in which the player casually advances through environments in a leisurely manner without any imminent threat or active game mechanics. This is my counter to the dreaded term "walking simulator". I find that term to be a bit insulting. Looking around at stuff and exploring while walking around has its merits. They're not for everybody of course, but I believe the term "mosey" properly encapsulates the tone of these games. Some other famous examples would be a game such as AbzuWhat Remains of Edith Finch & Gone Home.

I actually like this one!

Walking Sims do seem to have some genesis in true "adventure games" in the same way Telltale'spost-TWD stuff does, but are distinct, so a variant of "adventure" seems fitting!

(NEW) "Narrative" (see: The Forgotten CityHeavy Rain, & Afterparty) - Narrative games are ones in which the story forms a fundamental pillar of the appeal of the game and without it, there is very little else remaining for the player to engage with. Allow me to explain. Narrative is a dumb, generic term when trying to describe a genre of video games. Damn near every single game nowadays has some form of narrative. Aren't FF7 Remake & Persona 5 narrative games? Huge amounts are dedicated to the story. Ugh, you're right, but if you removed the entire story from those games, you still have tens of hours of GAMEPLAY that you could chew on and have fun with. For me, when somebody suggests a title is a NARRATIVE game, it is essential to the experience. You don't really have a game without it. I struggle with this definition greatly but I hope in practice it makes some sense. 

I think "Narrative" works as a sub-genre - "it's a "narrative adventure game" or a "narrative brawler" or a "narrative action" game, but not really on it's own (since a "pure narrative" game is basically a visual novel. 

Interestingly though, every example you give there, I'd class as an "adventure game" variant!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

My brother has massive harddrives and gets me to put every single game on his PS4 in folders so I am intimately aware of genres that and be discussed.

Spoiler

(But I do disagree with some of his demands, like Soulsbourne being used for every Souls-Like and not as a means of discussing FromSoft games exclusively, as well there only being a RogueLite section, bro either we separate this out or we're considering every game in a section roguelike since roguelite is derived from roguelike.)

Anyway I think you missed out Third Person Shooters, yes you have FPS but the umbrella term in my eyes is shooter, so you should cover your bases. Additionally you could add the Boomer Shooter label which applies the original Doom and games like it like Fashion Police Squad. My final sub shooter is the Looter Shooter, like Borderlands or Destiny

Another in the subgenre that's in our folders is the the Collectathon Platformer, games like Yooka Laylee and Spongebob Rehydrated, where the goal is to collect stuff and not necessarily get to the end of the level if you've managed to collect enough.

We also have Run 'n' gun, a subgenre that's typically a fusion of shoot 'em ups and 2D platformers, an example would be Contra

Anoher fusion we have is Survival Resource Management, which you could guess is a resource management that you can actively lose, like Beholder Complete Edition

There's Battle Royale too, like Fall Guys and Fortnite

The final subgenre I'd like to suggest is the Brawler, most famous example being Super Smash Bros, but on PS there's Multiversus and PSASBR

Now to discuss where I agree or disagree with your chosen terms

Putting Out to Pasture Useless Terms - You can't bring in the new without getting rid of some of the old. Here are some of my extremist views that I believe we should adopt.

"Role-playing game"

"Adventure"

I'll be honest and say that I think Action should go in this, in my eye's all it says is that you could get a game over screen if you aren't good at the real time encounters, which is way too vague for me. I also think that RPG is still an okay term, yes games only RPG elements (customised gear and skill trees) perhaps shouldn't be referred as RPGs but it's still specific enough to have it's uses, in our folders we have "Western RPGs," "JRPGs," "Indie RPGs," and "Open World Busy Work" (these would include most Ubisoft games like Farcry and Assassin's creed) are these perfect? Definitely not, (We have Child of Light in the Indie section and it was published by Ubisoft) but I think that their still okay.

7 hours ago, realm722 said:

NEW) "Action Runner" (see: Mirror's Edge Catalyst, No Thing, & Infinity Runner) - Action Runners are games in which the player is in a first-person perspective and must react instinctively and decisively in order to avoid failure. This is a genre that is ridiculously niche but I've played enough of them amongst the 3 listed to feel comfortable creating it. You aren't fighting anything and as the level gets progressively faster and faster you must have the reflexes and reactiveness to avoid ending your run prematurely. 

In our lists, it's broken down into Parkour and Infinite Runner, but we never really had a fusion name sorted out (parkour being mirror's edge and super cloudbelt, and infinte runner being No Thing and Tron Run.) Action runner is as good as any.

NEW) "Fantasy Sports" (see: PyreRocket League) - Fantasy sports games are ones in which the spirit of sport is emulated in a fantasy or fictional game or setting. I felt the need to create this term due to the terms "action" not sufficiently describing the gameplay loop found in these game. Pyre's core gameplay deals with "rites" in which the player must manage a 3 v. 3 matchup and score enough points to extinguish the opposing team's pyre. Rocket League is a vehicular soccer game and is a magical blend in how combining two known ideas (cars & soccer) can create a magnificent mashup. We need more fantasy sports games. I'd like to create some. Get on it devs.

I like this one, may get added to our folders in fact, it currently is divided between normal and extreme sports.

(NEW) "Narrative" (see: The Forgotten City, Heavy Rain, & Afterparty) - Narrative games are ones in which the story forms a fundamental pillar of the appeal of the game and without it, there is very little else remaining for the player to engage with. Allow me to explain. Narrative is a dumb, generic term when trying to describe a genre of video games. Damn near every single game nowadays has some form of narrative. Aren't FF7 Remake & Persona 5 narrative games? Huge amounts are dedicated to the story. Ugh, you're right, but if you removed the entire story from those games, you still have tens of hours of GAMEPLAY that you could chew on and have fun with. For me, when somebody suggests a title is a NARRATIVE game, it is essential to the experience. You don't really have a game without it. I struggle with this definition greatly but I hope in practice it makes some sense. 

Narrative is like action for me, too vague and you'd guess by the other genres that narrative a part of the game, a mystery game would be pretty crap if I didn't care about the story.

(NEW) "Story Alterator" (see: Oxenfree, Detroit: Become Human, & Road 96) - Story Alterator games are ones in which the player has the ability to significantly alter the story due to decisions and choices made throughout their playthrough. Forgive the lumpishness of that genre title. I didn't want to put "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" as 1) It's too long and 2) I've already covered why I hate the word adventure. The main appeal of these games is the ability to alter the story in a slight fashion depending on how deep the developers have made branching paths possible. Some of this can be quite superficial flavoring (see: saving a character in The Walking Dead, only for them to be irrelevant for 3 episodes, and then die anyway). Some are better about it. Say what you want about David Cage, Detroit has A LOT of choices. These games tend to have minimal gameplay loops and the foundation sits upon the narrative. 

When the term "Interactive Experiences" was handed around, I jumped on that. Yes it's pretentious, but it describes being part of a story and being able to only influence it. You could argue these are the the true Role Playing Games, it's not about how the story changes, it's how you react to the story. 

(NEW) "Wacky Controls" (see: Snake Pass, Manual Samuel, & Octodad) - Wacky Control games are ones in which the core gameplay loop revolves around the complexity or obtrusiveness of attempting to maneuver the character between points in an environment. These games are quite famous for going viral on YouTube or Twitch. Some other famous examples include Getting Over It & Jump King

We call these Rage games, (although I don't think snake pass fits, I always considered that a platformer without the jumping) 

(NEW) "Grand Level" (see: Shadow Tactics & Desperados III) - Grand Level games are ones in which the player must navigate an enormous and complex series of levels or missions in order to complete the game. These levels upon your first playthrough may take up to over an hour to complete, and can typically be solved or completed in a variety of different ways. I LOVE this genre and hope it grows in popularity in the games to come. When I played Shadow Tactics, it all clicked. "Holy crap... this huge mammoth level kinda reminds me of the Hitman games where you have a variety of ways to tackle your objective". The modern Hitman games are 10000% Grand Level games. PLEASE recommend some if you get the vibe I'm going for. 

I believe this would be an Immersive Sim like Deus Ex

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I believe this would be an Immersive Sim like Deus Ex

The two I was kinda surprised weren't covered were Immersive Sim, and Soulslike.

granted, in both cases, one could argue that by strict definition, all games that fall under those, would also fall under other genres...

...but since the only real reason to apply genre's in the first place, is to have a "short-hand" way of conveying exactly what a game is like to someone, I think both "Immersive Sim" and "Soulslike" conjure such specific, known quantities to virtually all gamers, that describing games that would fall into those categories by other genres is almost wilfully inviting confusion. 

Like it or not "Soulslike" and "Immersive Sim" are the most useful terms for them, as those ones tell a person exactly what they need to know to expect!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Wow! Thank you guys, for all the wonderful replies. I did not expect to find so many when I checked back in on the thread the next morning. I don't make or write anything in this thread for external validation (I feel like that's how you get burned out) but midway thru tryna to categorize everything I kept thinking: "Is this the stupidest post I've ever done? Does anybody else care about this stuff?" And I'm glad I got the constructive criticism to hopefully make it better!

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

That was an exhausting read. I could feel your soul leaving your body as you tried to navigate your way through all those definitions because you were typing what we've both been experiencing for years. (I'm actually in the midst of updating my game categories right now.)

ascend-winnie-the-pooh-ascend.gif

I think you're right. Games are so diverse now that most of them probably can't be adequately described by a single genre. Two or three sounds about right. I tend to think of "generic" categories (i.e. the ones you hate, like "role-playing game" and "adventure") as a higher order of classification, like in taxonomy. Most games would fall into one of those categories, but some have additional specifications. The more niche a game is, the lower the order and thus the smaller number of games that belong to that group. So, when I classify games, I try to consider the lowest taxonomic order for each game. That's where I would place it.

The taxonomy simile is a pretty good way to explain it, I hadn't thought about it that way. Honestly, Wikipedia's gargantuan "List of video game genres" has it divided up that way with a heavy number of subgenres. The largest ones are "Action, Action-Adventure, Puzzle, Role-playing, Simulation, Strategy, Sports, & MMO". 

The more genres you're willing to accept, the more that line between genres gets blurred. You, for example, suggested separate genres for Oxenfree and Afterparty. I know your argument is that they could fall under multiple categories, but eventually it gets to a point where you're coming up with genres that only have one or two entries. Like... Pinball. You have Arcade as a genre. Pinball is an arcade game. Why can't Tetris be a genre too? There are a lot more games based off Tetris than pinball.

This is my fault for not making it more clear. BOTH Oxenfree & Afterparty as I have them listed are labeled as (Narrative), (Story Alterator) games. I just only listed one in each as I was trying to show a diverse mix of games rather than using the same game multiple times (funnily enough, I used Desperados III as an example 3 different times so I didn't achieve that goal). It's hilarious to me that you mentioned the pinball genre. As I was typing it up I kept thinking to myself "this is so stupid. If I hadn't played Yoku's Island Express, I'd just put Soccer Pinball under Arcade games". Your calling me out made me realize how doubly stupid it was. We're removing the category and filing Yoku under Metroidvania. As for why Tetris ain't a genre, it's cuz I ain't got no Tetris games in my catalog!

8 hours ago, Mori said:

A small suggestion. Boss-Killers are also known as Boss-Rush(es). I dont know if this term is established but personally I immediately know what is meant when someone says Boss-Rush. Boss-Killers isnt confusing though, so it's not a big deal.

This is the sort of help I was looking for! Boss Rush is a much better and already well-known term. Can't believe it slipped by me during curation. When I search "Boss Rush games" into Google both Furi & Jotun show up as wellso it's perfect!

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's a point-n-click game, like the old Lucas Arts and Sierra games. Generally puzzle-solving, via use of actions/ specific verbs, or specific items found (or combined).

A "modern adventure game" would also encompass something like Telltale's The Walking Dead, which maintains the point-n-click narrative elements, but largely gets rid of the puzzle aspects, and even the Quantic Dream / Supermassive games, which allow direct control of characters, but still maintain the largely "go here, interact here, talk here, go there" structure. 

That makes some sense. I actually did a bit more digging and quite like this definition.

Unlike adventure films, adventure games are not defined by story or content. Rather, adventure describes a manner of gameplay without reflex challenges or action. They normally require the player to solve various puzzles by interacting with people or the environment, most often in a non-confrontational way. It is considered a "purist" genre and tends to exclude anything which includes action elements beyond a mini game.

Even with that clear definition, I still dislike the general term. "Action-Adventure' has muddied the waters as seen below...

"Action-adventure" has become a label which is sometimes attached to games which do not fit neatly into another well known genre. Because of their prevalence on video game consoles and the absence of typical adventure games, action-adventure games are often called "adventure games" by modern gamers.

I think this one has largely been retired, in favour of "Brawler" - because of the evolution of 3D games. Stuff like the Greek God of War games is clearly a 3D evolution of the likes of Streets of Rage, and gets the term "brawler" usually, so the games they came from - Streets of Rage / Turtles / Golden Axe etc. sort of get "2D Brawler" retrofitted to them.

This is why they pay you the big bucks Doc! I'm very ignorant of the genre in general as Tunche was my first real dip into the genre but the way you explained it makes a lot of sense. If I were ever to stack the games up, I may divide them into 2D & 3D as I've done with platformers but for now we'll keep it as all encompassing!

Am I the only one that thinks this distinction is silly?

Both "Rogue-lites" and "rogue-likes" tend to have about as much in common with the original "Rogue" than each other - seems like folks are always trying to find little wedges to separate the two in terms of distinction, but as soon as they come up with one, it gets broken by another 1f602.png

If it were any other genre, I'd probably say yea you're right there's no need to be so pedantic given the incredibly minor difference compared to the distinctions I'm trying to make amongst all the other types of genres. But given I am a pretty dedicated rogue(lite/like) enjoyer, I actually don't mind being a bit more finicky in this regard. 

I actually like this one!

Walking Sims do seem to have some genesis in true "adventure games" in the same way Telltale'spost-TWD stuff does, but are distinct, so a variant of "adventure" seems fitting!

Thank you! The more I kept thinking about it the more I actually liked it. I strolled through my catalog and found a handful more such as Firewatch that I think fit the general vibe I'm going for. 

6 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

Anyway I think you missed out Third Person Shooters, yes you have FPS but the umbrella term in my eyes is shooter, so you should cover your bases. Additionally you could add the Boomer Shooter label which applies the original Doom and games like it like Fashion Police Squad. My final sub shooter is the Looter Shooter, like Borderlands or Destiny

Another in the subgenre that's in our folders is the the Collectathon Platformer, games like Yooka Laylee and Spongebob Rehydrated, where the goal is to collect stuff and not necessarily get to the end of the level if you've managed to collect enough.

We also have Run 'n' gun, a subgenre that's typically a fusion of shoot 'em ups and 2D platformers, an example would be Contra

Anoher fusion we have is Survival Resource Management, which you could guess is a resource management that you can actively lose, like Beholder Complete Edition

There's Battle Royale too, like Fall Guys and Fortnite

The final subgenre I'd like to suggest is the Brawler, most famous example being Super Smash Bros, but on PS there's Multiversus and PSASBR

Thank you for this! Very ignorant on shooters but a lot of your descriptions make sense. You've had the scales fall from my eyes with two key mentions. When you described "Run 'n Gun" I was like "that sounds exactly like Super Time Force Ultra" and lo and behold it shows on that list of games. When I finally get around to playing Broforce, I'll make it into a separate category. Secondarily, thank you for finally help me realize what the hell to call Beholder 1. My memory of the game is incredibly foggy and I know you managed an apartment so I put it under resource management but the missing piece was your mention of "Survival". Makes so much more sense with that small addition. 

I'll be honest and say that I think Action should go in this, in my eye's all it says is that you could get a game over screen if you aren't good at the real time encounters, which is way too vague for me. I also think that RPG is still an okay term, yes games only RPG elements (customised gear and skill trees) perhaps shouldn't be referred as RPGs but it's still specific enough to have it's uses, in our folders we have "Western RPGs," "JRPGs," "Indie RPGs," and "Open World Busy Work" (these would include most Ubisoft games like Farcry and Assassin's creed) are these perfect? Definitely not, (We have Child of Light in the Indie section and it was published by Ubisoft) but I think that their still okay.

After I finished typing the post, I kept thinking to myself "There has to be a better way to describe Action games or real-time combat" as I just refuse to live in a world where you can end up with Sekiro and Persona 5 Strikers in the same category. I've reached a compromise. I am going to divide up Action games into two branching paths. Action (Complex) and Action (Simple). Why do this for this specific category when essentially every genre has simple and complex versions? (Islanders is a Simple City Builder, Cities Skylines is a Complex City Builder). 1) Action games make up a huge portion of the list. A more specific definition is needed. A game such as Neverlast (super crappy barely 1-hour game) is mind-numbingly simple action and needs to be separated from the likes of Dead Cells, for example. 2) I would personally like to stand on the minefield that is declaring what is simple and what is complex. That just seems like a fun time. 

As for your points on RPGs, they do have merits, I just feel like I'd need way too many subgenre categories that my "OWBB" and "Limited World" encompass a bit more sucinctly. 

In our lists, it's broken down into Parkour and Infinite Runner, but we never really had a fusion name sorted out (parkour being mirror's edge and super cloudbelt, and infinte runner being No Thing and Tron Run.) Action runner is as good as any.

Hah thank you. When I made the name I was like: 'wait a sec.. what genre was that super famous Temple runner game called" and it said endless/infinite runner yet I felt like Mirror's Edge gives me the same energy despite it dealing more with parkour. 

Narrative is like action for me, too vague and you'd guess by the other genres that narrative a part of the game, a mystery game would be pretty crap if I didn't care about the story.

Agreed. It's probably the term I dislike the most on the entire list. We'll keep workshopping. 

When the term "Interactive Experiences" was handed around, I jumped on that. Yes it's pretentious, but it describes being part of a story and being able to only influence it. You could argue these are the the true Role Playing Games, it's not about how the story changes, it's how you react to the story. 

Hahah I actually thought about that exact term but left it off for the exact reason you listed, thinking "nah this reads like I'm blowing smoke up my ass". 

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Like it or not "Soulslike" and "Immersive Sim" are the most useful terms for them, as those ones tell a person exactly what they need to know to expect!

The reason why I didn't list those is I don't think I've ever played a "Soulslike" OR "Immersive Sim. I mentioned at the end a handful that I didn't include as I hadn't been able to dip my toes into any of those genres and I think the two you've mentioned are two more blindspots I have in my catalog. I'll have to try and rectify that. 

This was very helpful, thanks y'all!

• Like 4

SGF-61865076782b24ba4454.jpg

RealM722 Reviews Summer Game Fest 2023

Welcome back, boys and girls! It's ya boy Realm and for the 3rd year in a row, I am going to go ahead and give my takes on the games to come out in the coming years before they're even released. I've done it with E3 in 2021, I did it with Summer Game Fest in 2022, and I'm here to do it yet again in 2023. There's a reason why they pay me the big bucks around here. Now, as I distinctly recall, I found myself getting quite fatigued by the end of SGF 2022 as there was just an absolutely mind-numbing amount of games I tried to cover by including every stream. I am not going to make the same mistake this year. Instead, we're going to focus on the 3 biggest showcases seen over the Summer of 2023. Sony, the main Summer Game Fest show, & Xbox. They were the games somebody somewhere felt were strong enough to show on the big time and its time I put them to the test. As a treat, I'm also going to pull off the preposterous act of including my guess of the game's Metacritic score on its most-reviewed console when it eventually releases. Think that's stupid? I predicted Wo Long would score an 81 in February 2023. Guess what it scored when it was released in March 2023?

Green - Super Interested, 100% Want To Play

Blue - Intrigued, May Went To Play on Sale

Purple - Wait and See, Want to Know More

Red - Not Interested At All, 0% Basically

PlayStation Showcase 2023 (May 24th, 2023) (LINK)

(0:50) FairGame$ (RED) - Absolutely zero interest in an online multiplayer shooter. Sony dipping its toe into online games. Meh. (72)

(3:30) HellDivers 2 (RED) - Another shooter. Not a genre I fancy if the 650+ replies in this thread aren't obvious enough. (75)

(6:00) Immortals of Aveum (RED) - Yikes that looked brutal. Looks like a Forspoke-esque cuff game. (64)

(8:08) Ghostrunner 2 (PURPLE) - Actually somewhat intrigued by this. Have the original from PS+ and still haven't played it. (82)

(9:15) Phantom Blade: Executioners (RED) - DAMN that looked fascinating. Tremendous style. Love the rural Japan look. I expected it to do well. (85)

(12:55) Sword of the Sea (BLUE) - Hell yea! I quite like this studio. Still gotta get around to The Pathless but it's delightfully colorful. (81)

(14:20) The Talos Principle 2 (PURPLE) - Ehhhh, visuals looked outstanding but I'm just meh on puzzle games. I expect it'll score well tho (84)

(15:50) Neva (PURPLE) - From the Creators of Gris you say? Interesting. Still gotta play that, but I adore the colors in this one. Gotta see gameplay tho. (77)

(17:48) Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean (RED) - I know people say these games are pretty good for being such easy platinums but meh. (73)

(18:32) Foamstars (RED) - Getting big "Destruction All-Stars" energy. Stunned if it ever really gets popular given the amount of Splatoon rip-off jokes it'll get lambasted with. (71)

(20:45) The Plucky Squire (PURPLE) - Okay I wasn't totally on-board until I saw the lil guy move into a REAL LIFE environment seamlessly. That could be quite good. (82)

(22:00) Teardown (GREEN) - That was an AMAZING trailer showing all the incredible things you can do with the physics. Super intrigued and hope it has good trophies! (84)

(24:00) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater (BLUE) - Another great trailer. Had me thoroughly in suspense. Never played a Metal Gear game but I'd like to one day! (88)

(26:07) Towers of Aghasba (PURPLE) - I'd have to see more of what you do but it feels like a game that will get delayed into eternity. (73)

(27:45) Final Fantasy XVI (PURPLE) - lmao c'mon dawg how many more Final Fantasy XVI trailers do we need. This one is gonna do gangbusters. (91)

(31:00) Alan Wake 2 (RED) - Alan Wake has never interested me in the slightest and this trailer did nothing to sway me. (76)

(32:50) Assassin's Creed Mirage (RED) - Valhalla scored in the 80's. But got backlash for fatigue and bloat. Did Ubisoft learn their lesson? I doubt it. (78)

(34:45) Revenant Hill (PURPLE) - Ayyy I know Night in the Woods is a favorite of many. Wait... that's not Night in the Woods 2? (70)

(35:55) Granblue Fantasy Relink (RED) - I have no doubt the weebs will be all over it. Just not for me. (76)

(39:05) Ultros (PURPLE) - I am a total sucker for color. Game looks gorgeous. Afraid gameplay won't match the style. (74)

(40:45) Tower of Fantasy (RED) - Damn there was a lot going on in the trailer. Anime aesthetic. Find it hard to believe we'll see it any time soon. (79)

(42:20) Dragon's Dogma II (RED) - Happy that those who loved the original are finally getting the sequel. Can't say it has ever tickled my fancy. (86)

(43:55) Five Nights at Freddy: Helped Wanted 2 (RED) - I will perish before anybody ever makes me sample anything from the FNAF franchise. (71)

(46:45) Arizona Sunshine II (RED) - Don't really have any interest in VR but hope those that do enjoy it. (73)

In fact since these next few games are exclusively VR I'm just going to go ahead and skip past all of these games...

(51:55) Marathon (RED) - AMAZING trailer with great music. No gameplay so no hype. Good ways away. It's Bungie tho, should do well. (84)

(54:40) Concord (RED) - Damn I learned so much from that teaser. I can already tell it's not going to hit over 80. (74)

(58:20) Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (GREEN) - Still got play Miles Morales but yea, I'm not that much of a hipster that I say I'm not gonna play the new Spider-Man. It'll sell insane. (89)

In Conclusion: 2 greens, 3 blues, 8 purples, and 15 reds. That feels about right with the way I typically receive a showcase. I've gotta say that the inclusion of the Gran Turismo movie was a... choice. It's fine. I get it. Sony Games supporting Sony Studios and it's an actual game franchise but I don't expect it to review very well either. 

Summer Game Fest 2023 Showcase (June 8th, 2023) (LINK)

(30:40) Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (RED) - Never played any of the Prince of Persia games. Looks like it could be a decent side scroller though? (78)

(33:50) Mortal Kombat 1 (RED) - I wonder how much diehard modern day Mortal Kombat fans care about the fatalities. (81)

(44:05) Path of Exile 2 (RED) - I thought they were showing original Path of Exile footage at the start. Whoops. Something tells me this is gonna flop. (74)

Hahahah I'm not including it here because it's already out but credit to Geoff for getting Nic Cage to show up live. Con Air is one of my favorite moves ever. 

(55:55) Witchfire (RED) - That did... not look good. Maybe I've gotta a bias against first-person action. (66)

(1:00:45) Sonic Superstars (PURPLE) - Last Sonic game I played was Sonic Mania and it kicked my ass. Hope the diehard Sonic fans eat with this one tho. (85)

(1:02:50) Honkai Star Rail (RED) - I literally made an article about why I'd never play Genshin Impact. Honky Rail ain't breaking that. (82)

(1:04:40) Life of P (RED) - Stellar trailer. Showed off the unique style of the game excellently. I think it'll be a sleeper hit. (87)

(1:07:10) SandLand (PURPLE) - I thought it was gonna be My Times at Sandrock... instead.. that. Didn't look bad but I'll have to see the reviews. (77)

(1:27:06) Yes Your Grace Snowfall (PURPLE) - Thought it was from the Kingdom: New Lands developers.. I'd like to know more! (78)

(1:28:30) Toxic Commando (RED) - That trailer was boomer as hell and I smell a flop. (65)

(1:31:00) Baldur's Gate 3 (RED) - If I was ever going to play one of these games, it'd be Divinity Original Sin II. (84)

(1:37:03) Palworld (BLUE) - I remember when the game first debuted and everybody screamed how much it looked like Pokemon. We'll see if it lands. (79)

(1:39:00) The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria (RED) - If the latest Gollum game wasn't enough for you, we've got more Tolkein crap on the way. (63)

(1:42:57) Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden (RED) - Hahaha I think this game is going to get DESTROYED upon release. DONTNOD doing action? Good luck. (71)

(1:44:30) Like A Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name (BLUE) - If I ever jumped on the Kiryu wagon, it'd have to be for Yakuza 0. But... maybe. (88)

(1:46:05) Under the Waves (PURPLE) - I know a mosey adventure game when I see one! Big Jacques Costeau vibes. (81)

(1:50:58) Faefarm (RED) - Here's the issue with far too many farming/slice-of-life games. The art has to be GOOD. I think this looks BAD. (76)

(2:11:20) Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (GREEN) - DAMMIT GEOFF. Aight you got me. That's probably my most anticipated game right now. SUPER HYPED! (92)

In Conclusion: 1 green, 2 blues, 4 purples, and 11 reds. Well, at least I finally got to experience a showcase where the big reveal at the end was a game I'm ACTUALLY super hyped and pumped for. Everything else I could honestly take or leave. Dammit Geoff. There's also so much bloat in these shows. I guess I'm just being a baby. 

Xbox Games Showcase Extended 2023 (June 13th, 2023) (LINK)

(2:25) South of Midnight (RED) - It's a world premiere but a teaser trailer at best... I don't think it'll even be out by 2025, hot take. (75)

(5:05) Star Wars: Outlaws (RED) - I know during the Ubisoft showcase everybody said the shooting looked like ass. Ruh roh. (73)

(9:17) 33 Immortals (BLUE) - Awww. Thunder Lotus Games. Played every one of their games. That style is so THEM. They're trying an action roguelike and it'll be good. (83)

(11:07) PayDay 3 (RED) - Never been a PayDay guy but I know they have a very dedicated fanbase. Something tells me it'll get crushed. (72)

(13:00) Persona 3: Reload (GREEN) - Could you imagine the insanity if this hadn't leaked days before? Hell yea I'll play a remastered Persona. It's gonna do NUMBERS! (87)

(14:10) Avowed (RED) - Yikes that looked rough. Not for me in the slightest. I think that's a future bust. (68)

(22:38) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (RED) - Oh yea I had forgotten about this game. Original did very well. I think this one will too. (84)

(26:50) Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (RED) - Bizarre name. I know people generally liked the latest game with the new protag. More of the same. (82)

(30:30) Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess (PURPLE) - Holy crap that looked fancy as all hell. Doesn't even feel like a real game. Sleeper potential. (86)

(39:50) Persona 5 Tactica (BLUE) - A grid-based tactics game with a cast and crew I already love... aight Atlus, you got me even if it ain't THAT good. (78)

(44:30) Jusant (PURPLE) - Is it mindless climbing where you aren't actually at risk or is there skill involved? I think it's sadly the former. (74)

(46:45) Still Wakes the Deep (RED) - Absolutely nothing shown. Like a horror ship game? Says early 2024, that won't even release in 2024 IMO. (71)

(47:45) Dungeons of Hinterburg (BLUE) - LOVE the art style. Good chaotic trailer. I think that honestly looks pretty damn great. (85)

(49:00) Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (RED) - I won't play it, but I expect this to be a big hit. Idris Elba's in it. CD Projekt on DLC tends to hit it outta the park. (88)

(52:45) Cities Skylines 2 (RED) - It is actually illegal for me to look at any Cities: Skylines footage until I earn the platinum for the original. Sorry. (87)

(54:50) Metaphor: ReFantazio (BLUE) - The Persona vibes are OFF THE CHARTS. Fancy as hell UI. The weebs are gonna gobble this one up and I don't blame them. (89)

(56:45) Towerborne (BLUE) - I saw BANNER SAGA CREATORS AND GOT MAD. WHY DID XBOX HAVE TO BUY THEM? Salty af even if co-op games aren't for me. (82)

(58:30) Clockwork Revolution (RED) - Big Bioshock energy. "Coming in Due Time". That may not even release by 2026. I'm not even joking. (77)

(1:05:10) Starfield (BLUE) - You know what? I'm going to give Todd some credit. That is one of the greatest extended showcases for a single game I've ever seen. If you were skeptical about the game before, I think this may be the trailer that pushes people over the edge into a purchase. So may details and customization. I still have serious doubts about the gunplay, the game WILL be buggy as all hell, it's Bethesda, can't change your DNA, but I think the game is going to be so unique and only Bethesda make Bethesda games that it'll recapture the spark for many after so much trust was lost with Fallout 76's release. I'm going to go big here and predict a (90) and will admit I'm just a tad salty I'll never be able to play it. 

In Conclusion: 1 green, 6 blues, 2 purples, and 10 reds. Oh my god y'all... I'm pretty sure Xbox just kicked the other two presentation's asses... I don't know how to feel about that. They've made the transition over to forging a relationship with Atlus and it's paying dividends. They have formed good relationships with multiple studios that I enjoy from Thunder Lotus to Stoic. For as much as you can critique their bully ball approach fo just buying up and not having bared fruit with results in-house from their own studios, they may finally be turning a corner.

Final Thoughts: Overall, not the worst bundle of showcases I've ever seen. Out of the 65 games featured here, there are 4 greens, 11 blues, 14 purples, and 36 reds. I personally judge the overall hit rate by the amount of green's and blue's. Purple's are slight intrigue but I'm still highly skeptical if the game will ever be for me. This is of course not a perfect formula though as back during my review of E3 in 2021, I rated Inscryption as a game in the red that I thought wouldn't be for me and its ended up as one of my Top 20 games. Nonetheless, let's compare how much this hits % wise compared to past game announcement events. 

The Hit % Of Past Showcases (Green & Blue)

Summer 2022 Showcases: 27.77% (15 out of 54)

Summer 2023 Showcases: 23.07% (14 out of 65)

E3 2021: 16.53% (21 out of 127)

The Game Awards 2022: 16.00% (4 out of 25)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, realm722 said:

The Rule of ThreeIn 1980, you probably were capable of defining different types of video games with a single word. In 2023, the world isn't so simple anymore. Thus, rather than participate in the Sisyphean task of trying to encapsulate a single game in a single genre, I propose the Rule of 3. I am of the belief that you can by and large categorize and summarize the majority of even the most complex video games with three genres. Of course, this may not always be necessary. If you can succinctly define a game in two or even one terms, go for it. I believe that giving ourselves this broader scope increases our chances of better achieving our end goal. 

Putting Out to Pasture Useless Terms - You can't bring in the new without getting rid of some of the old. Here are some of my extremist views that I believe we should adopt.

By dropping these two terms alone, we've left an enormous vacuum with regard to the categorization of game genres. To fill this void, I am now prepared to share the 48 genres that I have personally defined and included examples of. Some of these genres you've known since you were a child. Some are ones I've invented. The ones I've created include a distinguishing "(NEW)" beside them. I hope they serve somebody aside from myself and if you have a helpful suggestion or catchier title, be my guest to pitch in and offer the recommendation. 

I 1000% agree with The Rule of Three. Sometimes a game fits great with just one genre label. Sometimes a game borrows from a few different ones, and you need to be able to describe that without creating rarely-used special hybrid labels. Gamers already do this with things like Turn-Based Strategy versus Real-Time Strategy. 

I laughed hard at "extremist views".

By dropping these two terms alone, we've left an enormous vacuum with regard to the categorization of game genres. To fill this void, I am now prepared to share the 48 genres that I have personally defined and included examples of. Some of these genres you've known since you were a child. Some are ones I've invented. The ones I've created include a distinguishing "(NEW)" beside them. I hope they serve somebody aside from myself and if you have a helpful suggestion or catchier title, be my guest to pitch in and offer the recommendation. 

Not gonna lie, at first I thought your 48 genres were meant to be the 48 genres to rule them all, aka the only 48 genres that would be needed to describe games made today. As I read through, I came to realize that you are only defining genres that you've had experience playing - which totally makes sense!

"Role-playing game" - Hands down the worst offender of a term that has become so watered down, so frequently used, and so beaten to death, that it no longer holds ANY significant meaning. What is the first game you think of when you think of an "RPG"? Maybe Final Fantasy? OR would that be a JRPG? Guess what, Disco Elysium is labeled as an RPG on Wikipedia. So is Bloodborne. So is Persona 5. I could list a hundred more examples and that isn't even hyperbole. "You play a role in a fictional setting". Guess what buddy? That's damn near every video game. It is for this reason that I am putting the term to death and will no longer be using it for any descriptiveness of a game going forward. 

I agree that the term "RPG" has become too broad in its current state, but there are a few elements typically associated with the genre that I didn't see addressed elsewhere in your categories. 

• Worldbuilding/Lore - This is a huge draw for me with RPG games. It can't be fully replaced with the "Fantasy theme" because Fantasy typically implies magic and thus does not cover scifi and other non-magical settings that contain worldbuilding. 
  • Skill & Gear Progression - Unlocking abilities (passive and/or active) within skill trees, acquiring better gear and weapons as the game progresses.

I also think there is a difference between playing a general role in a game (such as Bandit/Astrologer/Warrior/Wretch/etc. in Elden Rings, where your character might be important to the story but they are usually a 'blank slate') and playing a specific, defined character in a game (such as Geralt in Witcher 3, Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, etc). Unfortunately, I don't have a great suggestion for how to incorporate this into your system of genres. 

"Action (Complex)" (see: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Dead Cells, & Furi) - Action (Complex) games are ones in which the player actively engages in combat with enemies or foes with a highly diverse skillset. The best thing about the action title is that it makes clear to players that the gameplay is ACTIVE. You must REACT. Your thumbs must TWITCH. Complex games may not actually be that high in difficulty in order to actually survive (see: Batman: Arkham series where keeping up your combo is trickier than actually avoiding dying) but due to the amount of various inputs available, it falls into the complex category. Devil May Cry 5 is another example of a complex action game in which the challenge is more focused on raising your score rank as opposed to merely surviving. (UPDATED: 6/19/23)

"Action (Simple)" (see: Kamiko, Neverlast, & Chasm) - Action (Simple) games are ones in which the player actively engages in combat with enemies or foes with a limited skillset. The key distinguisher between complex & simple action games are the amount of options available to the player while engaged in combat. Relatively simple action games can still make a player die a lot (such as in Chasm), but with a limited melee attack option with square and one ranged attack option with triangle, the action is undoubtedly simplified and deserves to be noted as such. Any Dynasty Warriors game is also considered (Simple) despite a larger moveset due to the lack of difficulty of ever actually dying. (UPDATED: 6/19/23)

(NEW) "Action Runner" (see: Mirror's Edge Catalyst, No Thing, & Infinity Runner) - Action Runners are games in which the player is in a first-person perspective and must react instinctively and decisively in order to avoid failure. This is a genre that is ridiculously niche but I've played enough of them amongst the 3 listed to feel comfortable creating it. You aren't fighting anything and as the level gets progressively faster and faster you must have the reflexes and reactiveness to avoid ending your run prematurely. 

I like the delineation between "Action (Complex)" and "Action (Simple)", because there are times I want to play a game that is more 'intense' with its action and there are times where I want things to be less intense. My only problem with the three above genres is that they all have "Action" as the prefix. My first thought was to suggest "Reactive" for "Action (Complex)", but people might think that describes a "Story Alternator" game. "Action Runner" I would just simplify to "Runner", though.

"Brawler" (see: Tunche) - Brawler games are ones in which the player engages in hand-to-hand combat with enemies typically across a variety of 2D side-scrolling levels (though 3D Brawlers have emerged in the past decades). This is a term I wrestled with tossing out (I mean c'mon, in what action game are you not beating them up) but ultimately kept around due to the instantaneous recognizability of the genre. When you see Streets of Rage 4, River City Girls, or Scott Pilgrim vs the World, you automatically know what I'm talking about. Thus the term still remains useful and deserves to be kept around. (UPDATED: 6/19/23)

(NEW) "Boss Rush" (see: Furi & Jotun) - Boss Rush games are ones in which the main gameplay loop focus on combat against bosses. This does NOT include games where boss fights form a mere main component of the game (such as Elden Ring or Hollow Knight). If you've played the two games I've featured here, you'll know what I'm talking about. In Furi, there are these lengthy walking segments between fights, but you are here above all else for the lengthy action-sequenced boss fights. In Jotun, there are some brief levels of puzzles and navigation before the final foe of the area, but the boss fights are WHY you're here. On the other hand, Hollow Knight has a vast world with platforming and minor combat enemies and the same can be said for Elden Ring in the form of exploration. (UPDATED: 6/19/23)

Shout-out to @DrBloodmoney and @Mori for these name suggestions! I hate how "Beat 'Em Up" is clunky to type out, with its punctuation and multiple short words requiring capitalization. "Brawler" is much nicer, and apparently already used in the community! 

"Boss Killer" makes me think specifically of Shadow of the Colossus, whereas "Boss Rush" covers games where you just defeat bosses, not necessarily kill them. DrB's point of it already being used for specific game modes means that there is already a lot of name-to-concept recognition there as well. 

"Co-op" (see: Stikbold! & Chambara) - Co-op games are ones in which you work alongside another player on your couch to complete an objective as teammates or face each other in a competition. Some prominent examples of this include It Takes Two & Overcooked. 

"Multiplayer" (see: Rocket League & FIFA 22) - Multiplayer games are ones in which the player engages with other random players in either a solo, competition, or team-oriented fashion. You could toss all sports games into this class, many FPS games like Call of Duty, Fall Guys, etc... The key distinguisher here from co-op is that the other players you're playing with are strangers and randomized. 

Your definition of "Co-op" is interesting to me, in terms of grouping games where you play cooperatively with others towards a common goal and games where you play competitively against each other into the same label. "Along another player" also made me initially think that you were trying to limit the genre to a single additional player at first, but that's mostly me being fixated on semantics. ?

If both "Co-op" and "Multiplayer" each cover games that are team-oriented and games that are competitive, this creates a grey area for games that allow you to play with both friends and random players. In Destiny 2, I can specifically load into 2- or 3-man activities with some friends, or even do a 6-man raid with my clan. At the same time, I can load into PVP game modes where my team is made entirely of strangers, or my team is made of a few friends and a few strangers. 

Finally, I think distinguishing between cooperative gameplay objectives and competitive gameplay objectives is actually an important objective to include within genres. We have the term PVP for competitive play (though that is mostly used within Shooter games, to my knowledge). We can say competitive multiplayer (and also asynchronous multiplayer, for 4v1 games). "Competitive Co-op" is workable, but "Cooperative Co-op" would be saying the same word twice... ? I have several friends who love to play games with friends, but absolutely avoid anything that is built around player-player conflict or winner/loser systems.

Though, after some further reflection, I feel like co-op and multiplayer are more gameplay modes than genres, necessarily. 

This is all just some food for thought - I haven't sat down and worked on the herculean task of creating my own genre system (though my ADHD brain is really wanting to hyperfocus into that ?), and I hope this comes across as constructive/curious rather than negative. 

(NEW) "Fantasy Sports" (see: PyreRocket League) - Fantasy sports games are ones in which the spirit of sport is emulated in a fantasy or fictional game or setting. I felt the need to create this term due to the terms "action" not sufficiently describing the gameplay loop found in these game. Pyre's core gameplay deals with "rites" in which the player must manage a 3 v. 3 matchup and score enough points to extinguish the opposing team's pyre. Rocket League is a vehicular soccer game and is a magical blend in how combining two known ideas (cars & soccer) can create a magnificent mashup. We need more fantasy sports games. I'd like to create some. Get on it devs. 

I definitely see your personality in the creation of this genre - it's not something I ever would have thought to create! ? 

"Fighting" (see: Kiai Resonance & The Last Blade 2) - Fighting games are ones in which the player will engage in combat against another foe and typically includes detailed mechanics such as combos, blocking, grappling, & chaining. Despite the generic name, the genre description has stood the test of time and is still useful today for succinctly describing what a game plays like such as with Street Fighter or Tekken. 

Query for everyone in this thread - what is the difference between a Brawler(/Beat 'Em Up) and a Fighting game?

Is it that "Brawler" has more simple combat mechanics (such as one or two punches, one or two kicks, maybe a grapple), whereas "Fighting" focuses on multi-button moves and/or combo systems? 

"FPS" (see: Superhot & DOOM 64) - FPS games are first-person shooters in which the player controls a character and navigates a three-dimensional space while firing at enemies with a gun. It is the most commercially viable video game genre with it comprising over 27% of game sales in the medium. 

"Shoot 'Em Up" (Rez Infinite & Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime) - Shoot 'Em Ups are games in which the player fires projectiles at opposing enemies. This is a very broad definition for a genre but many of these games tend to take place in space and are known as shmups. 

Right now the only difference between these two genres is that FPS requires a first-person POV and "Shoot 'Em Up" does not - giving the impression that FPS is a subgenre of "Shoot 'Em Up".

I also dislike "Shoot 'Em Up" because of the aforementioned punctuation and multiple short-word capitalizations that hinder my typing speed. ? Do you consider "Shooter" to be a separate genre that you just haven't played yet? (If so, what makes it different?)

(NEW) "Grand Level" (see: Shadow Tactics & Desperados III) - Grand Level games are ones in which the player must navigate an enormous and complex series of levels or missions in order to complete the game. These levels upon your first playthrough may take up to over an hour to complete, and can typically be solved or completed in a variety of different ways. I LOVE this genre and hope it grows in popularity in the games to come. When I played Shadow Tactics, it all clicked. "Holy crap... this huge mammoth level kinda reminds me of the Hitman games where you have a variety of ways to tackle your objective". The modern Hitman games are 10000% Grand Level games. PLEASE recommend some if you get the vibe I'm going for. 

Okay, this genre sounds really cool! The Hitman series has been in my backlog for a long while, and after a brief skim through your Shadow Tactics article, I've bookmarked it and Desperados III to read more closely later. (Plus a note to check out other Cabinet Thread reviews of them!)

"Grid-Based" (see: The Banner Saga 3 & Ash of Gods: Redemption) - Grid-based games are typically turn-based and rather than active, free movement, the player must control their characters on a tile-based surface creating a grid. These games tend to be focused on tactics or strategy and engage the player mentally more so than with dexterity. 

As someone who's only experience with Grid-Based games is probably the Fire Emblem series, I'm curious what there is within this genre label that is not covered by the Tactics and Strategy labels. Obviously, the environment is grid-based versus being not-grid-based... but to my uneducated eye it just sounds like a niche of Tactics/Strategy, instead of its own category. 

(NEW) "Limited World" (see: Gravity Rush 2, CrossCode, & A Short Hike) - Limited World games embody many of the same traits and qualities of "Open World Big Boy" games (seen below) but are done on a much smaller scale. They may have a story, cutscenes, side quests, items, gear, and crafting but the runtime is much shorter compared to OWBB's. I really felt the need to create this distinction as simply saying "open world" doesn't do a good job of distinguishing between the scope of say, Batman: Arkham Knight compared to inFamous First Light. "Limited" may sound like a negative term, but in an increasingly common society where gamers want SHORTER games with LESS bloat, I think the term could end up quite flattering. 

(NEW) "Open World Big Boy" (see: Horizon Forbidden West, Persona 5, & Bully) - Open World Big Boy games are ones that are mammoth in scope. They contain a heavy story, cutscenes, side quests, items, gear, crafting, and a lengthy runtime. These are almost entirely created SOLELY by AAA developers. The reason why I've created this category is because this game has become increasingly popular in the 2010s. God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Marvel's Spider-Man, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc... are all encapsulated here. One game where I may see some pushback is a title such as Persona 5. But I really think the game fits the definition beautifully. The scope is GIGANTIC. You have gear, humongous dungeons, an overworld during the daytime where you can go to shops and explore Japan, social links, etc... Given the heavy trend we've seen in this direction, I think it's worthy of finally being properly defined and an abbreviation to OWBB could be in order. 

I definitely agree with "Limited World" being an important distinction from "OWBB"! A label that might have less negative connotation could be "Compact World". 

I do find it amusing that the existing "Open World" label was not bombastic enough for you. ? And while a concise definition of the main elements of OWBB is underlined in the "Limited World" section, I think it is a fantastic definition to distinguish from games that just have open environments without most or all of those elements. 

(NEW) "Mosey Adventure" (see: Dear Esther, Shape of the World, & Journey) - Mosey Adventure games are ones in which the player casually advances through environments in a leisurely manner without any imminent threat or active game mechanics. This is my counter to the dreaded term "walking simulator". I find that term to be a bit insulting. Looking around at stuff and exploring while walking around has its merits. They're not for everybody of course, but I believe the term "mosey" properly encapsulates the tone of these games. Some other famous examples would be a game such as AbzuWhat Remains of Edith Finch & Gone Home.

I really enjoy some "walking simulator" games, but also really dislike how that term is often used pejoratively. I love your use of the word "Mosey" for this! Considering you nixed the genre "Adventure" for how open-ended it was, in case that word's inclusion here bothers you I would suggest something like "Mosey Jaunt".

(NEW) "Narrative" (see: The Forgotten City, Heavy Rain, & Afterparty) - Narrative games are ones in which the story forms a fundamental pillar of the appeal of the game and without it, there is very little else remaining for the player to engage with. Allow me to explain. Narrative is a dumb, generic term when trying to describe a genre of video games. Damn near every single game nowadays has some form of narrative. Aren't FF7 Remake & Persona 5 narrative games? Huge amounts are dedicated to the story. Ugh, you're right, but if you removed the entire story from those games, you still have tens of hours of GAMEPLAY that you could chew on and have fun with. For me, when somebody suggests a title is a NARRATIVE game, it is essential to the experience. You don't really have a game without it. I struggle with this definition greatly but I hope in practice it makes some sense. 

(NEW) "Story Alterator" (see: Oxenfree, Detroit: Become Human, & Road 96) - Story Alterator games are ones in which the player has the ability to significantly alter the story due to decisions and choices made throughout their playthrough. Forgive the lumpishness of that genre title. I didn't want to put "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" as 1) It's too long and 2) I've already covered why I hate the word adventure. The main appeal of these games is the ability to alter the story in a slight fashion depending on how deep the developers have made branching paths possible. Some of this can be quite superficial flavoring (see: saving a character in The Walking Dead, only for them to be irrelevant for 3 episodes, and then die anyway). Some are better about it. Say what you want about David Cage, Detroit has A LOT of choices. These games tend to have minimal gameplay loops and the foundation sits upon the narrative. 

"Visual Novel" (see: VA-11 HALL-A & Hatoful Boyfriend) - Visual Novels aren't games. (that's a joke) Visual Novels are games in which the player almost exclusively reads dialogue and there is minimal interactive function in the sense of gameplay. Visual Novels typically stick exclusively to PC, but on occasion, they will come over to consoles, such as with Steins;Gate. There may be some minor choices in the sense of dialogue options but many stories are meant to be experienced merely by reading. I've included VA-11 HALL-A on this list despite some minimal bartender interactions given the overwhelming amount of time dedicated exclusively to conversations with patrons. 

I wish I had a suggestion for a better genre name for "Narrative". As for its definition, I think what distinguishes this genre from Visual Novel is that most of its story is communicated through cutscenes (as opposed to clicking through blocks of dialogue) and that you are able to interact with the environment in some fashion. 

As for Story Alternator being "lumpish", one suggestion is "Branching Narrative Story". I also thought of the "Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions" meme, which could be summarized as "Actions (Have? Meet?) Consequences". ? There's also the infamous "Butterfly Effect" that could be used.

"City Builder" (see: Tropico 5, Aven Colony, & Islanders) - City Builder games are ones in which the player acts as the overall planner of a city or town and are responsible for its growth and management. These games are known for having a specific formula that can be quite enticing if it tickles your fancy and much the innovation of the genre has come from building cities in unique settings or increasing the amount of complexity with features such as traffic and ensuring citizens morale remains high. 

"Farming" (see: Slime Rancher, Graveyard Keeper, & Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life) - Farming games are ones in which the game's core gameplay loop revolves around the maintenance and incremental progression of agriculture, creatures, or some other type of item. This is a genre best defined by feel as once you see it, you almost automatically know what it is. Stardew Valley is the king of the genre in the modern era as it borrowed almost all of the core features from the Harvest Moon series. Yet, the definition isn't too stringent. Slime Rancher is all about maintaining your different types of slimes and combining them on your ranch, I think that qualifies. Graveyard Keeper is a grim take on the genre where you farm and manage corpses rather than crops.  

"Resource Management" (see: Kingdom: New Lands, Moonlighter, & Beholder) - Resource management games are ones in which the player is challenged to establish values for various types of resources and by doing so well within the context of the game, achieve the desired outcome. Good lord. That's a crap definition. I'm sorry. I beat my head against a wall trying to make it somewhat comprehensible and I believe I've failed. LOTS of games have some level of resource management. Basically all city builders and farming games. But I think this is a compromise for games that don't fall into any of those clear-cut categories. 

I think a good way to distinguish "Resource Management" from "City Builder" is the latter's primary focus is on the building/creation element. The primary difference between "Resource Management" and "Farming" is that the former is focused on resources in a more numeric and hoardable approach, whereas the latter is focused on a more nurturing and cultivating approach (and there are often tiers/grades of quality for the resource). 

"Roguelike" (see: Risk of Rain 2 & Wizard of Legend) - Roguelikes are games in which the player engages in "runs" as a character through procedurally generated levels. If they die, their progress is wiped and they must start from the beginning. These games tend to be high in difficulty and meta-progression IS NOT a core aspect of the gameplay loop. 

"Roguelite" (see: Hades, Children of Morta, & Rogue Legacy) - Roguelites are games in which the player engages in "runs" as a character through procedurally generated levels. If they die, their progress is wiped and they must start from the beginning. These games tend to be high in difficulty and meta-progression IS a core aspect of the gameplay loop. 

Per my previous comment in this thread, I absolutely adore the meta-progression aspects of the Roguelite games that I have thus far experienced. However, seeing these two genres listed amongst so many others does highlight how small the difference is between the two labels. Perhaps instead of "Roguelite", there should be a "Meta Progression" genre? It could then be applied to a game like Inscryption as well. At the same time, if your "extremist views" ? do not allow for compromise on "Roguelite", I have enough bias towards it that I wouldn't complain. ?

"Strategy" (see: Sid Meier's Civilization VI) - Strategy games are ones in which the player takes turns while playing and typically must manage a wide array of systems from combat units, to cities, to resources. A key distinguisher between strategy games and tactic games is this additional responsibility on the player, along with the fact that "grand strategy" games focus more on a series of decisions across a long period of time whereas tactics games focus on decisions made in a single encounter. My ability to accurately describe the genre is limited due to the fact I've only played one of them. These games tend to stick exclusively to PC. Europa Universalis & Age of Empires also fit this description. 

"Tactical" (see: The Banner Saga 2, Desperados III, & John Wick Hex) - Tactical games are ones in which the player manages units in small-scale confrontations, typically simulating operational warfare. The key distinguisher between tactic games and strategy games is that the former does not include the additional burden of managing resources on a micro or macro scale. I think the games I've included here are a good mix to show how much the genre can vary. Banner Saga is a quintessential tactics game. Desperados is an example of real-time tactics which deals less with direct combat and more so with logistics to achieve an end goal. John Wick Hex is a tactics game in which the player controls only one character and yet must balance resources such as ammo and health while eliminating enemies to complete their objective. 

OMG, thank you for once again helping me to distinguish between two genres! It seems like in Tactical games, most consequences of your decision-making stay within the combat encounter. Obviously, there might be elements like unit permadeath, but most factors are encounter-based. And then big-S Strategy games are more systems-based and macroscopic in nature. 

Is "Grand strategy" a sub-genre of "Strategy"? If so, I assume it's main distinction from "Grand Level" is that "Grand Strategy" decisions/consequences last the entire playthrough of the game, whereas "Grand Level" decisions/consequences are scoped to the level itself.

IN CONCLUSION - I'm tired, Robbie. Good lord. I'm exhausted. I knew the task felt a bit absurd when first starting it but it somehow exceeded all expectations. I believe that while not perfect, you can summarize about 95% of video game by using some mix of any 3 terms I've included in this post. I don't have any meaningful statistical data to prove that but just take my word for it. You'll notice that there are a handful of genres that are obvious that are NOT included here (Battle Royale, MMORPG, MOBA, & Gacha) just to name a few. This is because I have not played any games of that ilk. If I do, I'll add them to the above list. Offer feedback if you see an obvious error on my end. OR don't. It's your life!

And it seems you don't play Horror games either, noted!

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

To give you an example, let's take Hollow Knight. It's an action game, but so are a lot of games. It's also a platformer, but so are a lot of games. It's also a Metroidvania. I would consider that to be the lowest taxonomic order in which it could be placed, so if I HAD to place it under a single genre, that's where it would go. Yes, we could probably further divide up "Metroidvania", but I also find that to be problematic. The more genres you're willing to accept, the more that line between genres gets blurred. You, for example, suggested separate genres for Oxenfree and Afterparty. I know your argument is that they could fall under multiple categories, but eventually it gets to a point where you're coming up with genres that only have one or two entries. Like... Pinball. You have Arcade as a genre. Pinball is an arcade game. Why can't Tetris be a genre too? There are a lot more games based off Tetris than pinball.

@Cassylvania! My brain is really wanting to latch onto your fabulous idea of a taxonomic system. I think I'll go spiral down a rabbit hole of reading about various taxonomic systems, and maybe I'll have a new hyperfocus by the time I finish that. ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

@Cassylvania! My brain is really wanting to latch onto your fabulous idea of a taxonomic system. I think I'll go spiral down a rabbit hole of reading about various taxonomic systems, andmaybe I'll have a new hyperfocus by the time I finish that. 1f602.png

It's the marine biologist in me. ?

I didn't watch the Summer Game Fest. I didn't even know it was a thing. But the games that caught my attention were: Dragon's Dogma II, Senua II, Not Night in the Woods II, anything with Persona in the title, Metaphor, Honky Rail (because I love to torture myself), and...actually, Faefarm. I mean, that's one I've sorta been following because it's kinda my jam. Yeah, I dunno about the art style. It really does have to be good for the genre. I've seen worse, though. Cities: Skylines 2 should be amazing. I might have to wait for a Complete Edition. There comes a point where DLC packs should just be a separate game.

I try not to look up trailers for games that won't be out for at least a year. I have enough on my plate already.

• Like 2

PlayStation Showcase 2023 (May 24th, 2023) (LINK)

In Conclusion: 2 greens, 3 blues, 8 purples, and 15 reds. That feels about right with the way I typically receive a showcase. I've gotta say that the inclusion of the Gran Turismo movie was a... choice. It's fine. I get it. Sony Games supporting Sony Studios and it's an actual game franchise but I don't expect it to review very well either. 

If I were to use your color system, my (mostly) non-red games would be:

• Sword of the Sea ["How about Journey, but surfing?" I'm SOLD. Plus Abzû was a delight.]
  • Final Fantasy XVI [but only because of everything I've watched/read outside of trailers... The trailers make it seem very generic.]
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 [MS-M and MS-M:MM both crushed it, and looks like we are going to get more excellence here based on the extended gameplay that was shown]
  • Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater [It seems like they are being faithful to Kojima's game and not trying to modernize it too much. But I have zero trust in Konami nowadays, so I will be waiting to see the game's reception on launch.]
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage [If Ubisoft actually delivers on their promises, I'll be excited to play the game within a few months of release. If it is a bunch of open-world bloat like Valhalla or has other critical issues, then I will be waiting at least a year for when it is heavily on sale to play.]
  • Neva / The Plucky Squire / Towers of Aghasba / Alan Wake 2  / Revenant Hill / Ultros / Concord
  • Marathon [Goddamn but Bungie knows how to make a good trailer. I absolutely love the gameplay aesthetic, and I wasn't aware that this was their first IP. However, I doubt that I will find an extraction looter game to be fun to play. There's also the issue of how Bungie has really monetized Destiny 2 in the past few years and features we've been requesting for years are not being implemented in D2 but are being hyped and touted for Marathon... using funds earned from D2. I'll spare everyone the extended rant, though.]

I know that hype is a big part of the videogame marketing cycle, but I was disappointed at how little gameplay we saw with most of these trailers. Sony also seems to really be pivoting towards live service games, and I hope that isn't to the detriment of their amazing single-player games like God of War.

Summer Game Fest 2023 Showcase (June 8th, 2023) (LINK)

In Conclusion: 1 green, 2 blues, 4 purples, and 11 reds. Well, at least I finally got to experience a showcase where the big reveal at the end was a game I'm ACTUALLY super hyped and pumped for. Everything else I could honestly take or leave. Dammit Geoff. There's also so much bloat in these shows. I guess I'm just being a baby. 

• Yes Your Grace Snowfall
  • Under the Waves
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

I flipped out when we finally got the FF7 trailer! I'm so excited for the game to come out, but with how excited I am for the game I'm not sure if the trailer itself is actually a good trailer. It was great to see snippets of Red XIII's combat. I wished that we could have seen Cid's combat style, but I don't blame them for wanting to wait for much closer to the game's release for that. And I have so many questions! For example, are we going to get Vincent and Cait Sith as playable characters as well? (Not that I would be devastated if Cait Sith was more of a 'guest NPC' akin to Red XIII in Remake...). 

I also seriously laughed when Geoff did the fake-out with the Final Fantasy cross-over with DoorDash or whatever, since we were all hoping to see Rebirth during the showcase!

Xbox Games Showcase Extended 2023 (June 13th, 2023) (LINK)

(9:17) 33 Immortals (BLUE) - Awww. Thunder Lotus Games. Played every one of their games. That style is so THEM. They're trying an action roguelike and it'll be good. (83)

(13:00) Persona 3: Reload (GREEN) - Could you imagine the insanity if this hadn't leaked days before? Hell yea I'll play a remastered Persona. It's gonna do NUMBERS! (87)

(22:38) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (RED) - Oh yea I had forgotten about this game. Original did very well. I think this one will too. (84)

(30:30) Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess (PURPLE) - Holy crap that looked fancy as all hell. Doesn't even feel like a real game. Sleeper potential. (86)

(47:45) Dungeons of Hinterburg (BLUE) - LOVE the art style. Good chaotic trailer. I think that honestly looks pretty damn great. (85)

(56:45) Towerborne (BLUE) - I saw BANNER SAGA CREATORS AND GOT MAD. WHY DID XBOX HAVE TO BUY THEM? Salty af even if co-op games aren't for me. (82)

(1:05:10) Starfield (BLUE) - You know what? I'm going to give Todd some credit. That is one of the greatest extended showcases for a single game I've ever seen. If you were skeptical 

In Conclusion: 1 green, 6 blues, 2 purples, and 10 reds. Oh my god y'all... I'm pretty sure Xbox just kicked the other two presentation's asses... I don't know how to feel about that. They've made the transition over to forging a relationship with Atlus and it's paying dividends. They have formed good relationships with multiple studios that I enjoy from Thunder Lotus to Stoic. For as much as you can critique their bully ball approach fo just buying up and not having bared fruit with results in-house from their own studios, they may finally be turning a corner.

I wasn't able to watch the Xbox showcase last week, so I really appreciated your breakdown!

• Persona 3: Reload [Though I read that it won't include important DLC-esque content? I still need to get to the Persona games in my backlog, so I'll admit I'm not at all clear on the difference between things like Person 4/Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal, except that the latter ones have more content and are thus presumably superior.]
  • 33 Immortals / Senua's Saga: Hellblade II / Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess / Dungeons of Hinterburg / Towerborne

There is the caveat that any of the above games not coming to Playstation will need to be really incredible for me to buy them, since I much prefer console gaming to PC gaming. 

Nonetheless, let's compare how much this hits % wise compared to past game announcement events. 

The Hit % Of Past Showcases (Green & Blue)

Summer 2022 Showcases: 27.77% (15 out of 54)

Summer 2023 Showcases: 23.07% (14 out of 65)

E3 2021: 16.53% (21 out of 127)

The Game Awards 2022: 16.00% (4 out of 25)

Statistics! ?

10 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

It's the marine biologist in me. ?

I didn't watch the Summer Game Fest. I didn't even know it was a thing. But the games that caught my attention were: Dragon's Dogma II, Senua II, Not Night in the Woods II, anything with Persona in the title, Metaphor, Honky Rail (because I love to torture myself), and...actually, Faefarm. I mean, that's one I've sorta been following because it's kinda my jam. Yeah, I dunno about the art style. It really does have to be good for the genre. I've seen worse, though. Cities: Skylines 2 should be amazing. I might have to wait for a Complete Edition. There comes a point where DLC packs should just be a separate game.

I try not to look up trailers for games that won't be out for at least a year. I have enough on my plate already.

Wait - Cassy, are you legitimately a marine biologist?! If so, that's awesome! I was the kid in elementary school who would answer the "What do you want to be when you grow up" question with "Either an oceanographer or marine biologist". ? Then by the time I reached college, I had made peace with the fact that while science (and especially biology) are incredible, being a scientific researcher would not be a fulfilling career for me. So I will be sad if I missed that the comment was made in jest.

• Like 2

So before I say anything, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is one of the best replies to a post I've ever received on this thead. 

Not gonna lie, at first I thought your 48 genres were meant to be the 48 genres to rule them all, aka the only 48 genres that would be needed to describe games made today. As I read through, I came to realize that you are only defining genres that you've had experience playing - which totally makes sense!

Originally, I considered making that my goal but then as soon as I was barely even halfway to describing just my own I thought: "hell nah" lmao. I'm going to update that post every time though as I'm going to link it from here onward when describing a game I've just played. If I ever get to genres that I haven't touched quite yet, they'll be added to the list!

Unfortunately, I don't have a great suggestion for how to incorporate this into your system of genres. 

Yea, I thought about that myself. I debated whether to include genres such as "Anime", "Fantasy", "Sci-Fi" but felt that had more to do with theme than with genre. 

I like the delineation between "Action (Complex)" and "Action (Simple)", because there are times I want to play a game that is more 'intense' with its action and there are times where I want things to be less intense. My only problem with the three above genres is that they all have "Action" as the prefix. My first thought was to suggest "Reactive" for "Action (Complex)", but people might think that describes a "Story Alternator" game. "Action Runner" I would just simplify to "Runner", though.

Yooooo for whatever reason reading your comment I had the epiphany for "Reflex Runner" and I love how that sounds given how fast-twitched you have to be for the input commands on the games listed. Thank you for inadvertently helping me out with that!

Your definition of "Co-op" is interesting to me, in terms of grouping games where you play cooperatively with others towards a common goal and games where you play competitively against each other into the same label. "Along another player" also made me initially think that you were trying to limit the genre to a single additional player at first, but that's mostly me being fixated on semantics. 1f602.png If both "Co-op" and "Multiplayer" each cover games that are team-oriented and games that are competitive, this creates a grey area for games that allow you to play with both friends and random players. In Destiny 2, I can specifically load into 2- or 3-man activities with some friends, or even do a 6-man raid with my clan. At the same time, I can load into PVP game modes where my team is made entirely of strangers, or my team is made of a few friends and a few strangers. 

Finally, I think distinguishing between cooperative gameplay objectives and competitive gameplay objectives is actually an important objective to include within genres. We have the term PVP for competitive play (though that is mostly used within Shooter games, to my knowledge). We can say competitive multiplayer (and also asynchronous multiplayer, for 4v1 games). "Competitive Co-op" is workable, but "Cooperative Co-op" would be saying the same word twice... 1f914.png I have several friends who love to play games with friends, but absolutely avoid anything that is built around player-player conflict or winner/loser systems. Though, after some further reflection, I feel like co-op and multiplayer are more gameplay modes than genres, necessarily. 

This is all just some food for thought - I haven't sat down and worked on the herculean task of creating my own genre system (though my ADHD brain is really wanting to hyperfocus into that 1f602.png), and I hope this comes across as constructive/curious rather than negative. 

Not at all! Honestly, I appreciated your detailed analysis. I'll be 100% honest with you and I flew through those genres while creating them since they're not really relevant to the vast majority of my gaming catalog lol. Like, I have listed 3 multiplayer games for me and I made them Rocket League (since I do play the game still exclusively online), as well as FIFA 22 since I got a lot of trophies online in that game as well as Journey thanks to my 1st playthrough experience with a random player. If I played an Overwatch OR Rainbow Six Siege or some other type of game actively I probably would have paid it more thought but I like playing games on my time which makes both online and co-op games incredibly rare for me. 

Query for everyone in this thread - what is the difference between a Brawler(/Beat 'Em Up) and a Fighting game?

For me at least, the distinction comes less from the button inputs as much as the competition. In a Braweler, you're usually taking on tens of weak foes at a time and doing everything from launching them into the air and juggling to ground slams and so forth. In a Fighter, minus some quirky ones, you're almost always taking on just ONE opponent and while those games do sometimes have stories and single-player, their longevity and fame come from the online community and taking your skills up against another player. 

6 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Right now the only difference between these two genres is that FPS requires a first-person POV and "Shoot 'Em Up" does not - giving the impression that FPS is a subgenre of "Shoot 'Em Up".

I also dislike "Shoot 'Em Up" because of the aforementioned punctuation and multiple short-word capitalizations that hinder my typing speed. 1f602.png Do you consider "Shooter" to be a separate genre that you just haven't played yet? (If so, what makes it different?)

I dislike the term too. ? The truth is it just felt goofy to call them Action (Simple) games and I didn't know what else to toss those handful of titles into and I came up with that. Shooter Games sounds... goofy? I guess if I were ever to play a modern game like one of the Tomb Raider games, I may have to broaden the definition to fit it in there as it'd be a waste to have "Third-Person Shooter" be its entirely own entity. 

Okay, this genre sounds really cool! The Hitman series has been in my backlog for a long while, and after a brief skim through your Shadow Tactics article, I've bookmarked it and Desperados III to read more closely later. (Plus a note to check out other Cabinet Thread reviews of them!)

IT IS SO COOL!!! The more time that passes, the more my appreciation for those games grows. The developers are also releasing their 3rd game, Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew which dropped a release date trailer during the PC Gaming Show. I am HYPED! Even if it's largely more of the same, those games scratch an itch I didn't even know I had. Though Desperados is the latest release, I reflect on Shadow Tactics a bit more fondly due to the feudal Japan setting and loving the cast just a bit more. 

I definitely agree with "Limited World" being an important distinction from "OWBB"! A label that might have less negative connotation could be "Compact World". 

I do find it amusing that the existing "Open World" label was not bombastic enough for you. 1f602.png And while a concise definition of the main elements of OWBB is underlined in the "Limited World" section, I think it is a fantastic definition to distinguish from games that just have open environments without most or all of those elements. 

THANK YOU!!!! Compact World encompasses much better what I was trying to convey. "Hey, we're still Open, but we're not totally unfurled". I will be changing those titles in my spreadsheet and on the post. 

I wish I had a suggestion for a better genre name for "Narrative". As for its definition, I think what distinguishes this genre from Visual Novel is that most of its story is communicated through cutscenes (as opposed to clicking through blocks of dialogue) and that you are able to interact with the environment in some fashion. 

As for Story Alternator being "lumpish", one suggestion is "Branching Narrative Story". I also thought of the "Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions" meme, which could be summarized as "Actions (Have? Meet?) Consequences". 1f602.png There's also the infamous "Butterfly Effect" that could be used.

It seems like Narrative is the term that gives everyone, myself included fits. Ultimately, I've decided on a very conservative usage of the word in my collection. The Forgotten City, Oxenfree, Detroit, Paradise Killer, Road 96, Heavy Rain, Afterparty, South of the Circle, Life is Strange, & Telling Lies. All games that I feel would struggle to be described WITHOUT mentioning the narrative. I like your demarcation from Visual Novels though! 

"Branching Story" is a decent alternative. I'd say it feels too long but it's 14 letters compared to Story Alternator's 15 letters and when I hit the point when I'm counting individual letters on my genre labels I feel like I've gone too deep and need to occupy my mind with other things before I end up a shell of a man. Butterfly Effect just makes me think of Until Dawn lmao

Is "Grand strategy" a sub-genre of "Strategy"? If so, I assume it's main distinction from "Grand Level" is that "Grand Strategy" decisions/consequences last the entire playthrough of the game, whereas "Grand Level" decisions/consequences are scoped to the level itself.

Bingo! In Civ 6, the decisions you make at the start of a playthrough (where to build your cities, what government or policies you want to focus on, etc..) have consequences later in the game. Poor early game play can cost you in the late game. While that may sound stressful, I appreciate the gravitas decisions have in those games because EVERYTHING feels important. Grand Level games meanwhile are limited and even if you play super poorly in a level and barely make it out alive, next mission, you're back to 100%. 

And it seems you don't play Horror games either, noted!

Technically there are a few games in my catalog you could label as horror (Inside, Inscryption, Oxenfree, Beholder 2, Simulacra) but there's enough elsewhere going on in those games that I didn't feel like dedicating an extra name to them. You are correct though that I don't seek them. I am a complete and utter pansy when it comes to that stuff. I don't watch horror movies either. 

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Honky Rail (because I love to torture myself), and...actually, Faefarm. I mean, that's one I've sorta been following because it's kinda my jam. Yeah, I dunno about the art style. It really does have to be good for the genre. I've seen worse, though. Cities: Skylines 2 should be amazing. I might have to wait for a Complete Edition. There comes a point where DLC packs should just be a separate game.

If Honky's GREAT (like... a 90+ on Metacritic) I may just join you. My only fear is that game is gonna get DLC'd to death. As for Faefarm, You tend to be the sacrificial lamb for me when it comes to new farming games so lemme know. I also saw the brand new Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life trophy list dropped so yanno... I played My Time at Portia despite loathing the plastic looking aesthetic and despite not loving it, I saw why the game had so much broad appeal. 

18 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

I know that hype is a big part of the videogame marketing cycle, but I was disappointed at how little gameplay we saw with most of these trailers. Sony also seems to really be pivoting towards live service games, and I hope that isn't to the detriment of their amazing single-player games like God of War.

I'll be honest and say that the Final Fantasy XVI hype train is chugging at 150MPH and I'm damn near tempted to jump on board. I listened to the Friends Per Second podcast featuring a bunch of creators I enjoy and the lead voice actor for the game is a HUGE trophy hunter. He talked about going for the platinum in The Witness & FF13. Instantly made me love him and while I may not play it (at least not at release), I'll probably be glued to some playthrough of it that I find from one of my many streamers.

21 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

I also seriously laughed when Geoff did the fake-out with the Final Fantasy cross-over with DoorDash or whatever, since we were all hoping to see Rebirth during the showcase!

lmao that had me in stitches. He probably thought to himself: "dammit y'all hold on pull it back" and at the very least could be relieved knowing he had that in his back pocket for the finale. As for the actual trailer itself, I'll confess to you... I saw the first few seconds and closed out! I KNOW NOTHING about the original FF7. Cait Sith and Vincent and Cid? All I know about Cid is from Kingdom Hearts lmao. I've played the FF7 Remake, ADORED IT (seriously, that's my first INSANELY long review of 8k+ words and kinda marks a turning point in this thread) but have so many bloody questions about flashbacks from the original because I genuinely don't know any of the lore. Don't feel bad for mentioning any of those names either, I legit got no idea who you're referencing so it doesn't even qualify as a spoiler lmao

Damn, it's crazy how fast a page flies by when you interact with people who reply to your thread ?. Still, we got a new review to start up Page #28!

• Like 2