RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

6 minutes ago, realm722 said:

f321c065cf3f405b6d0ac06fd5a550d6a95b5a5e

To Play Baldur's Gate 3 OR Not To Play Baldur's Gate 3?

I actually can answer to that question with another question xD 

Do you love gambling? Are you ready to throw your choice into the hands of the almighty dice? Are you ready to roll a nat 20 just to kick a squirrel?

If yes, then yeah play the game, reviews/comments be damned! 

I know for sure I need to (re)play the first BG games - they kicked my ass when I was a kid, hope I'm old enough for a well deserved payback

• Like 3

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

You know a game has hit a special stratosphere when I'm bloody writing about it despite not having played it. The last time I did this was with Genshin Impact. Oh no. That was nearly two years ago and because of that post, I single-handedly drained @Cassylvania of several hundreds of dollars hours of their life. I feel like these posts are the equivalent of that movie where people have the time on their arms about how much time they have left alive and every time I make a post like this, Justin Timberlake breaks into Cassy's home and drains a few hundred more off the clock.

To be fair, I was probably going to play Baldur's Gate 3 anyway. It looks so good. (And unlike Genshin, I actually heard about it prior to your post.)

7 hours ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Planet Coaster? Maybe. It honestly depends entirely on if these sorts of city builder/management games have been your jam in the past. If you're wanting to experience the genre for the very first time, I honestly think it's a pretty good entry point since there are a lot of available tools out there and an easy loophole for the most complex part of the game which would be the rollercoaster creation. If you're somebody who's always drawn to action combat and has very little patience for juggling resources or finding a way to optimize a park in critical condition, you're probably not gonna have too much fun with the game despite it's overall cheerful and happy atmosphere. I'm glad to say I've played it. If you told me Planet Zoo was coming to PS5 tomorrow, I'd add it to my Wishlist and absolutely pick it up since these games are always going to have a soft spot in my heart. Maybe by 2024 we can get there... 

I've been waiting for a modern console zoo game for a very, very long time. I just don't see it happening. The closest thing you're going to find is Megaquarium, which was fine...

BUT you do have the Two Point series. (My turn to absolutely decimate your social life.) Two Point Hospital shares a lot of the charm and challenge of Planet Coaster, or you could take the plunge into Two Point Campus before me. If I knew for sure it wasn't going to drop twenty DLC packs on me in a year's time, I would've already started it.

Glad you mostly liked the game. I couldn't figure out the roller coasters either. Your strategy of completely wiping out the park to revitalize it is interesting. I don't think I ever tried that, which is pretty crazy considering that I'm somebody who likes to start fresh whenever something isn't working or I think I have a better solution. I guess, in my eyes, just starting over was the same thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

The Final Verdict - To Be Decided. if I had to lean anywhere, I'd lean towards no. I still have time to be swayed in the opposite direction. The game is projected to come to PlayStation 5 on September 6th. 

(Baldur's Gate)

Oh! Thanks for including the projected PS5 release date! My MMO buddies who convinced me into playing Diablo IV with them are thinking about checking out Baldur's Gate 3 at some point... meaning there is a decent chance they'll suck me into this game as well. Now I'll probably wait and see what the trophy list is before I decide on Steam or PS5, since they probably wouldn't get the game for a couple of weeks anyways. (And I was surprised at how Diablo IV's trophy list is noticeably less difficult than III's was, which made me slightly regret getting it on PC without bothering to investigate first.)

An Outstanding Tutorial - I have to give a huge shoutout to the developers for making such a nice and snappy tutorial to introduce myself to many of the mechanics of the franchise. At first glance, it can be remarkably intimidating all of the many factors you'll need to juggle in order to keep a park up and running in tip-top condition. Yet the tutorial walks you through all of the fundamental aspects in an easy-to-understand and humorous manner. Seriously, all of the voice actors hit it out of the park on this one. There's the main guy who's very cheerful and happy. A woman who focuses strictly on finances. An engineer who loves rollercoaster design. A young woman who fills the role of a would-be guest. The dynamics play well and really what I learned is the following.

(Planet Coaster)

It's always really awesome when a developer takes the time to thoughtfully design a good tutorial. Great voice acting sounds like the cherry on top, here! (And not something I would have expected for this game, either!)

I love how fun and cheery the game is. There is a trophy for blowing up 300 guests with an off-tracked coaster. Do you know what they do when hit? CHEER AND CELEBRATE, what a buncha legends

That is amazing, thank you for linking that clip!

9 hours ago, Copanele said:

I actually can answer to that question with another question xD 

Do you love gambling? Are you ready to throw your choice into the hands of the almighty dice? Are you ready to roll a nat 20 just to kick a squirrel?

If yes, then yeah play the game, reviews/comments be damned! 

I know for sure I need to (re)play the first BG games - they kicked my ass when I was a kid, hope I'm old enough for a well deserved payback

@Copanele, that video legitimately cracked me up, goddamn. Seems like the developers understood that oftentimes TTRPGs are the most fun when ridiculously crazy shit happens.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

Pyre-Promotional-Image.jpg?ssl=1

The 5 Games I've Played That You Should Drop Everything And Play If YOU Haven't

1) Pyre (My Review / 8-Hour Playthrough / 20-Hour Platinum)

2) The Banner Saga (My Review / 12-Hour Playthrough / 26-Hour Platinum)

3) Shadow Tactics (My Review / 25-Hour Playthrough / 50-Hour Platinum)

4) The Forgotten City (My Review / 6-Hour Playthrough / 10-Hour Platinum)

5) The Messenger (My Review / 12-Hour Playthrough / 30-Hour Platinum)

If you've already played all 5 of the games mentioned here, play Slay the Spire. If you've played that, Paradise Killer. If you've played that, Ash of Gods. I know you haven't played that!

I've already been incredibly hyped to play most of these games, and then you remind me about why I need to get around to them! ?

I was super tempted to play Pyre a few weeks ago as an entry for Gaming with the Animals: The Squeakquel, but figured I should finish my current Supergiant Games video game first. I'm trying to make Hades my 100th platinum - I'm only a couple away! Hopefully I can get the last few tricky trophies, haha, because everything I read about Pyre is just legendary. 

It's honestly embarrassing that I haven't played through The Banner Saga Trilogy yet, considering that I helped the Kickstarter for Banner Saga 3 in 2018... ? Oddly enough, I think part of the reason for my delay has been knowing how much of my time it will consume. Because mentally it's not "Oh, let me play this 30-ish hour platinum", my brain views all three games as a single extended game with ~100h to play. Though, now that I think about it, it would probably be best to avoid my natural inclination to play the games all back-to-back, instead letting each one sit and breathe for a bit in my mind while I play other games before returning back to it. I'll just have to work on my patience during those breaks! 

Honestly, I've also been incredibly eager to get my hands of Ash of Gods (I was so bummed to hear that it was being removed from PS+ Catalog this past June ?). When it was on Catalog, I was holding off because your review heavily emphasized that one should play TBS first. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in love with it like you and Briste, but considering TBS has been in my backlog for a few years I figured I should follow your recommendation. 

You recently sold me on Shadow Tactics. I'm not really supposed to be buying games right now because I don't currently have income, but I couldn't help myself last week when I saw the $40 game is currently on sale for $3.99 USD with the Summer Sale that ends in several days. 

I seem to have somehow forgotten that The Forgotten City is currently part of the PS Catalog, so I no longer have the excuse that I can't buy it right now! Paradise Killer was slated to probably be my next "short game" when I need a break from a Community Event or longer game, and this is going to be on the short list for after it. 

The Messenger is the only game in your post that I'm not immediately familiar with, and also the only review of your post that I haven't read. Your sales pitch has certainly caught my eye, so I'll have to remember to check out your review! (What will probably happen is that the note I've made will get lost among all my other "Remember [Thing]"/"Checkout [This]" notes, until I re-discover them all like an archaeologist in a few months when I finally process that I have a pile of 20-40 notes I should probably do something about. ?)

Finally, after you suggested Slay the Spire to me after I wrote about Inscryption, I'm also excited for when I get around to that game.

TL:DR; Whether I had first heard of the above games through you or someone else, your tastes and opinions in gaming line up with mine so often that you amplify my excitement for the games I've not played even more than before!

-----

Yet, I argue, almost just as good, is the pleasure one feels when having recommended a video game that they greatly enjoyed to somebody else and they TOO have a wonderful experience. I've been the beneficiary of many such recommendations and figured it was time to stamp my time card and do some service of my own apart from the individual game reviews.

"And do some service of my own apart from the individual game reviews" - As if that wasn't already an incredible service to the community at large?! ? I can relate though to the feeling of joy when one specifically recommends that someone play a game, and then later they return and rant about how incredible and awesome the game was. A lot of games in my backlog have been ranked higher for me mentally because of you and others here on PSNP extolling their praises. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm alone in saying that I can't play 20-30 games simultaneously!

And while everyone's personal ranking systems in their threads here help to gauge how much they enjoyed a game, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good game to recommend in general. (For example, Death Stranding was a 9/10 for me, but I would not recommend it to most people because those who will enjoy what it offers is smaller than some other games.) Thus, it's fantastic to have a list of games that you not only highly enjoyed playing, but also think are great games for almost anyone to play!

Instead, I thought long and hard about some brilliant games I've enjoyed that 1) Haven't gotten the love and attention that they deserve by most audiences, 2) Isn't THAT long to complete as taking a blind recommendation from some guy on the internet will understandably make you hesitant from committing for 100+ hours (sorry DQ11) and 3) Offers something distinct from most games and has stuck with me to the point I think back about that game often when pondering back on my profile history. Capiche? Let's do this.

The three criteria that you chose here were absolutely perfect, by the way. Though I'll admit I'm curious what your Top 5 LONG Game Recommendations would be! Or rather, the "4 Games after DQ11" ?. I've never seriously considered playing any Dragon Quest game before, but having just read the first 3 spoiler-free paragraphs of your review - and the amount of passion that you have for the game - I'm now thinking that I should very seriously consider playing it once my backlog is a little slimmer. So I'd love to know if there is another one or two longer games out there that I'm potentially really missing out on, if you are willing!

ETA: Goddammit, I just had to check out of curiosity if DQXI was on the PS+ Catalog, since I seemed to recall a few of the franchise's games being on there. And of course it is, and who knows how long it'll be there before Sony removes it.... asdflkj;dfjsd;

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 4

I'd like to point out that not only is Shadow Tactics my GOTY for 2021, but it would've beat out Cult of the Lamb for GOTY in 2022 too. (Not sure I'd put it ahead of Persona 5 Royal in 2020 or current front-runner Rain World in 2023, though.)

Pyre and the entire Banner Saga trilogy were great. Very memorable, even years later. I have mixed feelings about The Messenger. I understand why you and most people like it. There are just some very similar games that I prefer.

The Forgotten City...well, I haven't gotten to it yet. I probably would've if it wasn't on my wheel. Now, I just have to hope it comes up.

Still, I'm glad I at least played four of the five recommendations!

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

It's honestly embarrassing that I haven't played through The Banner Saga Trilogy yet, considering that I helped the Kickstarter for Banner Saga 3 in 2018... ? Oddly enough, I think part of the reason for my delay has been knowing how much of my time it will consume. Because mentally it's not "Oh, let me play this 30-ish hour platinum", my brain views all three games as a single extended game with ~100h to play. Though, now that I think about it, it would probably be best to avoid my natural inclination to play the games all back-to-back, instead letting each one sit and breathe for a bit in my mind while I play other games before returning back to it. I'll just have to work on my patience during those breaks! 

I STRONGLY recommend you do this. It's the same path I took when I decided to play the 3 games. I did it this way and never found myself getting tired of the combat specifically because I broke the games up with a wide variety of other titles. Honestly, I took a total flyer on the 1st one as it was super cheap on sale and a UR and I figured "what the heck how bad could it be" and was blown away by how much I loved it. 1st was played in Oct. 2020, then I finished the 2nd in Dec. 2020, and finally the 3rd in late February 2021. The fact you PAID for it on kickstarter is amazing! I wish I could get in on the ground floor of a game or series that I think I'll love.  

Honestly, I've also been incredibly eager to get my hands of Ash of Gods (I was so bummed to hear that it was being removed from PS+ Catalog this past June 1f622.png). When it was on Catalog, I was holding off because your review heavily emphasized that one should play TBS first. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall in love with it like you and Briste, but considering TBS has been in my backlog for a few years I figured I should follow your recommendation. 

Hahaha, I just threw Ash of Gods on the end there because I know there's only 26 people on here who have the platinum(which hey, has over doubled as I was the 11th). If you love TBS and want more of that, there's a lot to love in Ash of Gods albeit with a lot less polish and a good deal greater edginess. I still think back fondly about it and reread my review before a flight not too long ago and was shocked by how much I had forgotten. I'd love to hear somebody else review the game in-depth since it really has gotten such little coverage.

"And do some service of my own apart from the individual game reviews" - As if that wasn't already an incredible service to the community at large?! 1f609.png

Hahah, thank you for the kind words. I started this thread solely as a place to put my thoughts on video games. I don't write for anybody to enjoy it and that's nice because I can just type what I feel without hesitating or second-guessing myself. That being said, the thread has grown enough where I do feel like there's a cool tight-knit group here that stops by regularly enough that if they wanna go in-depth and read the whole post of every review, that's awesome. But I imagine most people fall into the game of wanting to know real fast: "yo is this game good or not OR is it worth my time or nah OR I'm gonna play this game, how was this dude's experience". At the very least, I at least once a week before bed go through literally every trophy cabinet on this forum and do that. If it's a game I'm probably gonna play, I don't read it outside of a few eye-catching lines at the start or the end. If it's a game I'm on the fence about, I'll read a bit, and if I'm convinced, I'll stop and add it to a wishlist. If they say something that puts me off hardcore like "this is gonna take 7 playthroughs and the game's glitchy and it's a bore" then I'll read the whole thing and say: "thank you for the sacrifice homie" lmao. 

This is a really long-winded way to say, that post is mostly for the people who enter the thread, skim through it to see what's new, and if they just want game recommendations and that's it, those are the 5 best and unique offerings I've sampled that I think the widest variety of players would enjoy. 

And while everyone's personal ranking systems in their threads here help to gauge how much they enjoyed a game, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a good game to recommend in general. (For example, Death Stranding was a 9/10 for me, but I would not recommend it to most people because those who will enjoy what it offers is smaller than some other games.) Thus, it's fantastic to have a list of games that you not only highly enjoyed playing, but also think are great games for almost anyone to play!

100%. I rated Planet Coaster in the high 7's and labeled it a "maybe" since some people don't just rock with management games. If you do, that's a pretty good one. Yet Ruiner, which scored lower (high 6's) I think is a great snappy, gameplay-focused title and I gave it a conservative yes to all players. Hell, Ash of Gods I rated in the 9's and I sure as hell would NOT recommend that to people. Like I said, it's the sorta game you'd rock with if TBS was your JAM and you just want another hit. 

The three criteria that you chose here were absolutely perfect, by the way. Though I'll admit I'm curious what your Top 5 LONG Game Recommendations would be! Or rather, the "4 Games after DQ11" 1f602.png. I've never seriously considered playing any Dragon Quest game before, but having just read the first 3 spoiler-free paragraphs of your review - and the amount of passion that you have for the game - I'm now thinking that I should very seriously consider playing it once my backlog is a little slimmer. So I'd love to know if there is another one or two longer games out there that I'm potentially really missing out on, if you are willing!

ETA: Goddammit, I just had to check out of curiosity if DQXI was on the PS+ Catalog, since I seemed to recall a few of the franchise's games being on there. And of course it is, and who knows how long it'll be there before Sony removes it.... asdflkj;dfjsd;

This is pretty easy. 

1) Final Fantasy VII Remake (74 hours to platinum)

2) Dragon Quest 11 (88 hours to platinum)

3) Persona 5 (73 hours to platinum but I used a guide for day-to-day since I had seen 2 FULL playthroughs, if you go in blind... I mean... minimum 2 playthrus, 120+ hours)

4) Horizon Forbidden West (66 hours to platinum)

5) Batman: Arkham Knight (94 hours to platinum)

These are all some of my favorite games of All-Time. I know I rated Hades higher, but I think FF7R is probably the greatest game I've played when you factor in how much of a turning point it marked not only in my gaming interests, but this thread itself. That was truly the first MAMMOTH review I did (8k+ words). I didn't do that just cuz. I did that because my love for the game was so gushing and I had never experienced anything like that... I couldn't help but bury myself writing and ranking what I loved about the game. I had NEVER played a Final Fantasy. Now it's sequel is one of my most anticipated games ever. DQ11 is magical in the sense (and I'm really not kidding, watch that Tim Rogers review) that you can either binge it or even better, play it an for an hour every night before bed and it's so lovely and stuffed with soul and hands down the most GENEROUS video game I've ever played that it scored that high despite the fact that even with all the frills, I'm not really that into turn-based combat. Everything surrounding it? Nothing else quite like it. Persona 5 is the first JRPG I ever fell in love with via YouTube videos. Another game like this that I've experienced two full playthroughs and yet not played (due to the unfortunate circumstance of only having 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week) is Yakuza 0. I can say with complete confidence it'd easily be a 9.5, Top 5 game on that list. I'm not even hesitant to say that considering how much I've honed my taste. You've already played HFW so no need for me to sell you on it. I really enjoyed writing that review. Especially since I felt like the only one who went deep on it with Elden Ring out. and finally, Arkham Knight? In terms of games I just wish had more stuff to enjoy the combat... Arkham: Knight may be #1. That Batman trilogy man... it's Top 2 up there with TBS. 

I could talk about any of those 5 games at length. I'm glad for 3/5 of them I did them justice with sprawling reviews. P5 was REALLY long (for the time, all my reviews back then were sub-500 words and that one was 1.2k which was essentially double) but in hindsight deserved so much more. Same for Arkham: Knight. But, as they say, c'est la vie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Yaga? Probably notI think this is a very sad case of my enjoyment of a game being diminished by trophy hunting. It hurts for me to admit as so many games have been enhanced by my love of pushing myself to the limits, but Yaga, for all its creativity and love poured into it, is, unfortunately, one that is designed in such a manner that works against a player aiming for these goals. The 40+ missable trophies. The save corruption. The bugs. The somewhat vague endings and lack of help online on how to obtain them. Do you notice how almost all of this review has revolved around the difficulty I had in achieving trophies as opposed to... yanno... the game content? Did I mention this game has voice acting? For EVERYTHING? And it's really well done in an exaggerated manner? Did I mention this game's music? LISTEN TO THE BLOODY VILLAGE THEME. How badass is that? There are so many small interactions I love like being able to give away some kopeks to a goat that makes you laugh or other ridiculous interactions you can pull off like answering riddles or being a complete a-hole by being super aggressive towards everything not even bothering with the storytelling elements. But I didn't talk about any of that stuff in this review. Instead, I'll remember it for the painstaking trophy process. That sucks. These developers have potential. I love the ambition. It may not have come out perfect but they can do big things. They're making a 2nd game called Monster Therapy. I hope they build on what they learned from here!

You know, this has always been that game for me in the backlog. I bought it a few years ago, occasionally get the urge to start playing it, and then I just...don't. It just feels like the kind of game I'll really want to like and end up hating because of the trophies or the multiple playthroughs or the gameplay (or *cough* the DLC). So there it sits, moving further and further to the bottom of the list, as I slowly whittle away at other games. Your review confirms my suspicion.

Maybe someday...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Yaga? Probably notI think this is a very sad case of my enjoyment of a game being diminished by trophy hunting. It hurts for me to admit as so many games have been enhanced by my love of pushing myself to the limits, but Yaga, for all its creativity and love poured into it, is, unfortunately, one that is designed in such a manner that works against a player aiming for these goals. The 40+ missable trophies. The save corruption. The bugs. The somewhat vague endings and lack of help online on how to obtain them. Do you notice how almost all of this review has revolved around the difficulty I had in achieving trophies as opposed to... yanno... the game content? Did I mention this game has voice acting? For EVERYTHING? And it's really well done in an exaggerated manner? Did I mention this game's music? LISTEN TO THE BLOODY VILLAGE THEME. How badass is that? There are so many small interactions I love like being able to give away some kopeks to a goat that makes you laugh or other ridiculous interactions you can pull off like answering riddles or being a complete a-hole by being super aggressive towards everything not even bothering with the storytelling elements. But I didn't talk about any of that stuff in this review. Instead, I'll remember it for the painstaking trophy process. That sucks. These developers have potential. I love the ambition. It may not have come out perfect but they can do big things. They're making a 2nd game called Monster Therapy. I hope they build on what they learned from here!

Oh wow, I've been eyeing this game for quite some time. I'm a sucker for games that feature folklore - especially those that are not commonly featured in Western media. It's a bummer to hear that the trophy hunting experience coupled with bugs/save corruption issues ended up tarnishing the positive aspects of the game.

Now that I have a better understanding of the game experience, in the future (once my backlog is more manageable) there's a slim chance that I might still pick up the game on a whim when it has a good sale. After all, per @Copanele I'd likely be getting an authentic Romanian experience. 😂 Or more likely I'll just wait for The Witcher 4 to get more tiny crumbs of Slavic flavor within its melange of European influences.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, realm722 said:

I'm now going to do some research on the Swiss' developers sequel, FAR: Changing Tides. Did it build off the wonderful foundation laid by the original or go in a different direction?

Having played that game immediately after the first, I can say that they did build off the wonderful foundation. You will experience more of the same with new wrinkles. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second one as well. I think it was very, very clever what they did with this game. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts if/when you get to it :) 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, realm722 said:

Would I recommend FAR: Lone Sails? Absolutely, 100%. This is one of my easiest and strongest recommendations of the year. I don't have to give any qualifiers about gameplay preferences or anything since the game is so unique I think a broad scope of players will enjoy it. Hell, the worst case scenario or accusation you could make against the game is you found it "boring" if you don't really engage with many of the vehicle's mechanics and I dunno... stupidly waste all your fuel and now you gotta drag the entire damn thing with a cable until you reach the next reserve. I'm now going to do some research on the Swiss' developers sequel, FAR: Changing Tides. Did it build off the wonderful foundation laid by the original or go in a different direction? That's all from me. I've got some other quick game reviews in the cooker but we'll space them out so as to not send out too many cakes all at once. Do you smell that in the air? It's September, football season baby!

I feel bad not reviewing this game, but your review echoes anything I could've said. I'll give @Briste the credit on this one -- I only heard about it because he played it first. Of course, he only played it because of the "Over 9000!" trophy, which he wouldn't have known about if not for me playing DBZ: Kakarot, so nevermind, I'll take back credit. (I deserve it after slogging through that.)

I think Briste has played the sequel or at least bought it. It's on my wish list. But glad you liked it. It's such a neat and unique little game. I don't know if I mentioned it in my brief...well, mention of the game, but you're right, it's those moments where the music kicks in and you really get sucked into the atmosphere of the game that make it memorable. It's one of those games where I'd feel you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not giving the game your undivided attention. Fortunately, you'll probably be too busy multi-tasking in the game to do that anyway.

Let's get football season started. That slog from mid-February until now is such a drag.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. All I ask is... please, <50 hours.

Such a short time frame rules out the Red Dead Redemption games, I guess.

You convinced me to play Planet Coaster mostly because I enjoyed Surviving Mars and Jurassic World Evolution II so much, so I'd suggest them as reverse recommendations, but again, they're more than 50hrs each.

Otherwise, I wax lyrical about Hyper Light Drifter just as often as you bring up The Banner Saga. It's UR for a few reasons (trophies could be better) but it's a >9/10 every day of the week.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 8:35 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Such a short time frame rules out the Red Dead Redemption games, I guess.

I have a tremendous admiration for both those games. NerdCubed's Permadeath Run in RDR was one of my favorite YT series ages ago. But yea... the time commitment is crazy and I got a few other big boys I wanna take care of first. 😂

On 9/5/2023 at 8:35 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

You convinced me to play Planet Coaster mostly because I enjoyed Surviving Mars and Jurassic World Evolution II so much, so I'd suggest them as reverse recommendations, but again, they're more than 50hrs each.

Otherwise, I wax lyrical about Hyper Light Drifter just as often as you bring up The Banner Saga. It's UR for a few reasons (trophies could be better) but it's a >9/10 every day of the week.

It's funny, I've looked at both of those games. I actually have the 2nd as Jurassic World 2 was available for PS+ subscribers. Surviving Mars was made by the same folks who made Tropico 5 which I thoroughly enjoyed years back. I still have Tropico 6 in my backlog as my "next time I wanna play a city builder" but glad to hear you enjoyed them both, we'll come the door open for the future. 

Hyper Light Drifter man... I wrote about it back in 2020. I've completed 2/5 of the games on that list since then. I'll reconsider it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

307d07e0-5291-11ee-bdf8-ef5491723556

RealM722 Reviews PlayStation's State of Play (Sep. 14, 2023)

Howdy, everybody! I've been away for the last few weeks as I'm currently thoroughly enjoying the game I'm playing + football season has started and believe it or not y'all, I really think this is our year. Not to win the Super Bowl or anything. But to witness the Dolphins' first playoff win in over 20 years. I believe in Tua Tagovailoa more than I believe in myself. He's that special. Still, while football fervor has me slurping up every Dolphins-related podcast in the stratosphere, I saw that Sony dropped this nifty State of Play that was allegedly supposed to be "indie-centric" which kind of piqued my interest. State of Play's have been helpful in the past as they've helped me discover games like Rollerdrome. A few months back I also reviewed 2023 Summer Games Fest which has essentially replaced E3 and had some games jump onto my radar that I had previously never heard about. Let's see what this presentation has in store!

Green - Super Interested, 100% Want To Play

Blue - Intrigued, May Went To Play on Sale

Purple - Wait and See, Want to Know More

Red - Not Interested At All, 0% Basically

State of Play (LINK)

(0:09) Baby Steps (RED) - Good to see Bennett Foddy making more games. Great trailer in terms of humor. Think it'll be entertaining to watch, not to play. 

(3:50) Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord VR (RED) - Yea... the brand ain't for me and it's VR so nah

(5:15) Resident Evil 4 VR & Separate Ways (RED) - Never even played a RE game, let alone a horror game in VR. Never will I ever.

(7:20) Avatar Frontiers of Pandora (PURPLE) - I like the colors... but I dunno. Remember when Guardians of the Galaxy game came out and everybody was surprised by how solid it was and yet I feel like I haven't seen a single mention of the game since it's release which is surprising for a major IP? Curious if this game can hit that tier of quality. The 1st person perspective makes me a bit... suspicious and I can already see "Blue Poor Man's Version of Horizon Zero Dawn" which... yea, I get it

(9:45) Ghostruner II (RED) - I've gotta play the first game before I try out the 2nd... got is for free via PS+, I'll get around to it

(11:20) Helldivers II (RED) - Woof... aight, I'm disappointed of all games this is the one chosen for the extended developer commentary man sheesh

(14:40) Marvel's Spider-Man II (GREEN) - Damn they got GTA 5 switching with Miles & peter... I've gotta play the Miles game, man. Looks good though I'll play it!

(18:40) Tales of Arise Before the Dawn (RED) - Are the Tales games honestly any good, man? I know they have fans but eh... too anime... even for me

(19:55) Honkai Star Rail (PURPLE) - What are the trophies gonna be like? If it's similar to Genshin, I'll pass. If not, maybe man...

(20:51) Foamstars (RED) - I will be genuinely STUNNED if the game isn't struggling with player base after the first 2 weeks, not tryna be mean but yea

(22:45) Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (GREEN) - I don't need to elaborate. To quote Kylian Mbappe, I will be there, no matter what

All in all, nothing I didn't know about previously. Kinda thought it'd be newer releases but eh, I guess we'll wait for The Game Awards (& BG3's GOTY Win) to discover more. 

• Like 4