The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

On 3/27/2017 at 0:31 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Well, I personally hated myself. But in answering your "struggle", a good story, that didn't rely on a whole bunch of lucky nonsense, would have helped. Yes, we know they succeeded in stealing the Death Star's plans, but did it have to go down in such a stupid way? Could we, for ONCE, see a well-planned battle strategy from the rebels? We haven't seen one since their escape from Hoth in Empire. 

I personally despise movies where everyone acts in the dumbest way possible in order to achieve an end (see, e.g., The Girl on the Train). I would be pleased to believe that the Rebellion is actually a useful, thinking entity, and not the completely, utterly lost group of losers it always seems to be (this seems to have carried over into Episode 7 as well, but I won't even start on that).

My response concerned the poster's comments regarding how cliched/overly predictable they felt the film was; it had nothing to do with the overall quality of the storytelling, which I still felt was far superior to TFA.

You could always fall back on the Legacy books to read about brilliant tacticians on both sides (Thrawn, Horn, etc.), though unfortunately when it comes to film I think we can all agree the deus ex machina rules the day in Hollywood. Literally every Star Wars film is built on a perpetual avalanche of absurdity, so I'm definitely giving Rogue One a pass.

8 hours ago, TheLakota said:

You could always fall back on the Legacy books to read about brilliant tacticians on both sides (Thrawn, Horn, etc.), though unfortunately when it comes to film I think we can all agree the deus ex machina rules the day in Hollywood. Literally every Star Wars film is built on a perpetual avalanche of absurdity, so I'm definitely giving Rogue One a pass.

Not all. The back-and-forth in Empire is actually pretty well thought out, on both sides. In fact, Darth Vader actually criticizes (and ultimately eliminates) one commander not because he failed his orders, but simply because he executes them too quickly (Vader even says one of my favorite lines in the series - "He is as clumsy as he is stupid"). That suggests a level of precision that we don't see again, beginning in Jedi (which begins with some wacky Skywalker "plan" that apparently had him falling into the Rancor pit, escaping, and then getting sentenced to death in the Sarlacc Pit).

The plan in A New Hope might have been crazy, but it was certainly valid, and was executed well (small guerrilla flies often buzz large armies in the real world). Empire's strategies (on both sides) were solid. No need yet to enter the EU. By the time of Jedi, though, where the Empire and the Rebels vie for a race to the bottom in stupidity,  hope is indeed lost. I will freely admit that this continues through the prequels, as well as TFA (which gets a lot of undeserved praise).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Not all. The back-and-forth in Empire is actually pretty well thought out, on both sides. In fact, Darth Vader actually criticizes (and ultimately eliminates) one commander not because he failed his orders, but simply because he executes them too quickly (Vader even says one of my favorite lines in the series - "He is as clumsy as he is stupid"). That suggests a level of precision that we don't see again, beginning in Jedi (which begins with some wacky Skywalker "plan" that apparently had him falling into the Rancor pit, escaping, and then getting sentenced to death in the Sarlacc Pit).

The plan in A New Hope might have been crazy, but it was certainly valid, and was executed well (small guerrilla flies often buzz large armies in the real world). Empire's strategies (on both sides) were solid. No need yet to enter the EU. By the time of Jedi, though, where the Empire and the Rebels vie for a race to the bottom in stupidity,  hope is indeed lost. I will freely admit that this continues through the prequels, as well as TFA (which gets a lot of undeserved praise).

Well Empire Strikes Back is in a league of its own, and everything about it is the best Star Wars movie ever. Plus Empire has General Veers who appears to be the only competent member of the Empire's entire military structure.

Having said that, Star Wars is not a SciFi film it is a Fantasy in space film, and as such every plan and strategy is the space equivalent of a guy on a donkey fighting a dragon that has a super secret weak spot.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Well Empire Strikes Back is in a league of its own, and everything about it is the best Star Wars movie ever. Plus Empire has General Veers who appears to be the only competent member of the Empire's entire military structure.

Having said that, Star Wars is not a SciFi film it is a Fantasy in space film, and as such every plan and strategy is the space equivalent of a guy on a donkey fighting a dragon that has a super secret weak spot.

I can't wait to see that guy on a donkey in episode 8. I just hope he isn't Donnie Yen, resurrected as some blind robot droid.

• Like 1

Cujo, Thinner, IT, Pet Sematary, and Antiviral.

I've always actively avoided movies based on Stephen King books (and the books themselves), but after coming across the synopsis for Cujo I decided to just watch it. Then at that point I got absorbed into some of his other stuff. Cujo probably freaked me out the most, though the rest of them were also pretty spooky at times.

Antiviral wasn't scary as much as it was creepy, I can't quite describe my exact feelings on this one.

16 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

1) A New Hope: fire proton torpedos into a thermal exhaust port to destroy a space station the size of a small moon (Rogue One attempted to downplay the absurdity of this premise by explaining it away as intentional).

2) Empire: survive subzero temperatures inside a tauntaun carcass overnight while your friend toughs it out in a makeshift camp, in the process overcoming blistering winds with no heat source and little in the way of provisions. Fly into the belly of a space slug and survive. Right. 

3) Jedi: befriend furries and wage war against elite ground forces on a supposedly heavily guarded moon. 

4) Phantom: Pod racing. Chance cubes. Jar Jar. 

5) Clones: Ninja Yoda. 

6) Sith: Land a massive starship with no thrust or lift. 

7) A New Hope Awakens: As title suggests, a rehash. 

8) Rogue: Outrun a curiously slow moving Death Star blast. 

I'm aware you disagree beyond Jedi, TFA and the prequels, but that's fine. 

End the end, none of the above really bothers me as I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief when it comes to Star Wars. And yes, Empire is my favorite too, but I'm also willing to admit it has its faults (while minor). 

On topic: Saving Private Ryan. The film has aged so well and is just as relevant today, if not more so, than it was nearly twenty years ago.