The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

220px-Assassination_poster.jpg

It was solid. I liked it. But ultimately was too slow.

Or at least I think that's what was going on because its kind of hard to pin point. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is an Andrew Dominik film starring Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt; i'v seen Killing Them Softly before this so I knew the two work together well and Manchester by the Sea convinced me Casey's one of the greats. Dominik's recently announced War Party [starring none other than Tom Hardy] got me to finally watch this revisionist western.

It's a beautiful film, for sure. Very few movies have a soundtrack i'd be willing to listen to independent of the movie itself, but this was one of them. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis compose a very atmospheric score befitting of the movie's tones. The fact that There Will Be Blood won over this for best cinematography is a sham IMO. Very reminiscent of Terrance Malick in a way. This is probably one of Pitt's best performances, if not THE singular best as the titular Jesse James and Casey is brilliant at playing a sort of scared, lonely outcast looking to make something out of himself.

But even with my love for all the parties involved and my love for the western genre something just didn't feel right. I want to say its the aforementioned pace but I watched Silence earlier which was definitely more arduous and didn't really have a similar problem. Things just become a bit arduous towards the second half of the film before they pick up towards the end, the last 40-50 minutes are absolutely fantastic, with one scene in particular being one of my favorites, period. But there is a long stretch before that just didn't jive with me.

Overall, I liked the film. I'm glad I watched it and maybe i'll come to appreciate it more on a rematch; definitely one all western fans should check out.

hMYAg1TvieTUXJh2TedNwOUO1OY.jpg

4.8/5 - because of one plot event. 

Movie is literally a perfect 5 Stars on Netflixs, not 4.75, 4.85, 4.90, a full 5/5. I recommend the fuck out of this movie.. so damn good and has multiple curve balls. Im not the reviewer type, so Ill just say, must watch.

• Like 1

158855972_c039e4.jpg

Just finished watching this movie. Can't believe it came out in 1975 and is still so good. The acting is amazing, the story is intriguing and the ending almost made me shed a tear. This movie is a masterpiece and I can recommend everyone reading this to watch it!

Enjoyment: 10/10

• Like 1