The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

13 hours ago, Redgrave said:

MV5BMTQ5ZTc1NjAtMGNjNi00ZDY1LWIyM2EtZmM1NTcwMjkzNmMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Thought I would watch it since @Slava mentioned it and it was available on HBO. I thought it was good even if it's got that "movie you pass by regularly while browsing at Blockbuster" kind of quality to it. The mob characters were pretty funny especially when they are looking for Ghost Dog and they wind up at the wrong roof a couple times, and then there is also the one that likes Flava Flav.

There's also a part where Ghost Dog gives the book Roshomon to a girl and while watching I was wondering why he thought it appropriate to give that to a kid but I guess the book Roshomon and the movie are different. I also couldn't help but think the movie title and the setting sounds like it would have been made into a PS2 game that would have gotten 4/10 ratings on IGN.

Nice.

I guess this movie can be described as a cult classic. Judging by its box office ($9 million worldwide), it wasn't very popular. So it's good that it was brought back, at least here. What's interesting, which I forgot to mention in my write-up, is that the theatre crowd was applauding when credits rolled. The only other instance of that happening that I can remember was all the way back in 2012 when I watched The Dark Knight Rises. Something about Ghost Dog resonated a lot with our locals 🙂.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

Poor Things

This movie was great, I can see why Emma Stone won an Oscar for her role. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as trippy as it was, and it's VERY trippy. Kinda wish I'd have known beforehand, I would've micro dosed some mushrooms or something and had a REAL blast watching it lol. 

MV5BNGIyYWMzNjktNDE3MC00YWQyLWEyMmEtN2ZmNzZhZDk3NGJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Watched it recently, too. Although I liked it, I didn't quite "get" it. Obviously, the movie has a very strong feminist message but I just wasn't able to put my finger on it. Like, what are the makers of the movie trying to say? Women are free to make terrible, dangerous, life threatening choices? Well, sure, they are, but unlike in the movie where it all works out for her in the end, in real life there are consequences. Pretty weird way to show emancipation of women, tbh.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Watched it recently, too. Although I liked it, I didn't quite "get" it. Obviously, the movie has a very strong feminist message but I just wasn't able to put my finger on it. Like, what are the makers of the movie trying to say? Women are free to make terrible, dangerous, life threatening choices? Well, sure, they are, but unlike in the movie where it all works out for her in the end, in real life there are consequences. Pretty weird way to show emancipation of women, tbh.

If I'm being honest I didn't really 'get it' either. I was more enthralled by the visuals and the soundtrack. The OST is made up of basically all dissonant chord progressions and it sounded pretty haunting, yet intriguing. I dug that a lot, and of course the visuals for the movie are like a long acid/mushroom trip and it threw me off guard in a good way. Other than than that I just assumed it was a Frankenstein inspired trippy movie. 

Watched a couple of movies this week:

Irish Wish - Rom com with dubious morals. Not a whole lot to recommend this one. Dull plot, not remotely funny, nonsense fluff. It had some nice Irish scenery I guess.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - The most recent Turtles movie I think, and while not a bad film it wasn’t for me…it made me feel old! It was clearly aimed at a teenage crowd with its dialogue, references and attitude so really not my demographic. The animation was kinda weird as well, it could be stunning looking in places but then oddly crap in others. 

• Like 2