Ghost of Tsushima - July 17, 2020

Ghost

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

Would be nice if Amazon actually listed this, so I could pre-order it. 

They did and it's already sold out, but here's the link so you can have them notify you if they get more: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JNHFWY/?th=1

Also, still available at Best Buy and GameStop.

Got the collectors. Will go nice witj my Last of Us 2 collectors. 

fuck Cyberpunk making so damn few!

Only hope that the slipcover for the steelbook is also with the collectors edition. Doesn't look like it. May have to use my pull at the store and just have them hand me one haha

26 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

The collector's edition looks really cool, especially that mask. Don't know if it's worth $300 though lol. Australian prices drive me nuts

i just paid 240.

219.99 plus tax in Canashit.

Last of Us 2 was same price. I paid roughly 240 total.

I really wonder why publishers include only plunder and rubbish when it comes to collector's editions. The absolute only thing that would ever make me consider getting one of these editions is a complete soundtrack on CD. Everything else is useless and does nothing more than waste space of my not exactly huge apartment.

Other than that, Ghost of Tsushima will be one of only four games I'll purchase on day one in 2020. The others being Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part II and Cyberpunk 2077. By the way, the last I game I purchased day one was Fallout 4 in 2015. That taught me a lesson.

15 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

They did and it's already sold out, but here's the link so you can have them notify you if they get more: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JNHFWY/?th=1

Also, still available at Best Buy and GameStop.

I swear it wasn't there yet when I posted. Not getting the Collectors Edition though...I'm fine with standard which is available. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:14 PM, MidnightDragon said:

I'm getting special. Want that steel case!

Thinking I might do the same and cancel the Collector's. While it's a nice collector's edition, I don't want to pay $248 when I can get the special edition for $73.

The weird thing is that the Digital Deluxe Edition contains a samurai dynamic theme, and a hero of Tsushima Skin Set. The Special Edition doesn't have those and their priced the same? Seems like a mistake on their part.

EDIT: I'm just gonna get the regular edition. Paid $48. Not bad at all.

Edited by Ghost

I do want that Steel case. But I don't really want to pay $70 because of a case. 

Plus I have a few unreleased games on my Amazon wish list (such as DOOM Eternal, Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs: Legion) that are listed at $50 for Pre-orders...kinda hoping Tsushima goes that route too.

• 1 month later...

New details from Official Playstation Magazine (May 2020). Thanks to Reddit user Hunbbel for posting.

According to the magazine, the title is still slated to release on June 26.

"Here are the details for those who don't have access to the magazine (I have highlighted the important ones). Please avoid if you want to go completely blind. Enjoy!"

Spoiler

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ghost Of Tsushima steps into the light

You can take on Khaaaaaaan and his Mongol Horde from 26 June

Developed by Sucker Punch, already known for the slick-to-navigate open worlds it created for the Sly Raccoon and InFamous series, Ghost gives you the whole island of Tsushima to explore while you attempt to repel a brutal Mongol invasion, based on real-life events.

If you’re not a history buff, fear not: this is far from a dry lesson. Sucker Punch is dedicated to bringing the drama of an epic samurai movie to the game, with the team citing the likes of Akira Kurosawa as inspiration. Shigeru Umebayashi is on the team as a composer – if you don’t recognize his name, you may well know the scores for House Of Flying Daggers, Yumeji, and Fearless. He’s a master of Asian cinema soundtracks, and the game sounds great.

You play as Jin Sakai, trained in the way of the samurai and taught to fight with honor by his uncle Shimura, Lord of Tsushima. Jin’s beliefs are sorely tested when he fights on the island’s beaches, trying to repel the invading Mongol Empire fleet. After the initial attack, Tsushima’s forces are devastated, making him one of the last remaining samurai on the island (we know Shimura, at least, lives beyond the initial invasion). Narrowly escaping death, he realizes that to fight back against overwhelming odds might require him to use more than his samurai’s honourable skills. He must master the Way Of The Ghost, ninja-like skills that will enable him to take on a skilled enemy that heavily outnumbers him.

The mantle of The Ghost turns you into a vigilante-type figure, battling for the oppressed people of occupied Tsushima. Which, of course, puts you right at the top of the Mongols’ most-wanted list. Their forces are led by Khotun Khan, a fictional analog of Kublai Khan (who led the Mongols at the time of the real invasion and went on to become the first Yuan emperor of China). As Jin carries Tsushima’s last shred of hope, if the Khan and his forces can snuff him out, Tsushima will fully fall to despair.

ISLAND GETAWAY

Again nodding to realism, you explore the island’s lush environments without the help of waypoints, choosing where to explore next using landmarks and your knowledge of the world. Sucker Punch is no stranger to creating open worlds, but the fairly minimalist nature of the environments is a bit of a departure for the developer. Time in the story will pass as you explore, with titles telling you how much time it’s been since the invasion began.

Exploration might be pretty free and easy, but once you reach groups of enemies things become much more focused. Clashes are swift and decisive, whether you choose to tackle a situation head-on like a samurai or sneakily like a ghost. Quick iaijutsu strikes with your sheathed sword can spill enemy blood. Likewise, you can use a grappling hook to sneak through enemy camps unseen, dropping down to attack people or sneaking up on them from behind (even stabbing them through closed folding screens). Jin also has his gadgets: sticky bombs and fire arrows that can help him spread disarray through an enemy camp.

SETTLING THE SCORE

Just as the way the world unfolds depends on what you want to do, so does the story – to a point. As you wage your one-man war on the Mongols you ally with several characters, and how you decide to deal with situations can determine the strength of your bonds. Shimura’s none too impressed with your spectral approach. Makoto, an expert archer and just as handy with a sword, can be one of your best allies, helping to spread the legend that you’re a vengeful ghost, but if she disagrees with your actions you may end up crossing swords.

So far the plot looks tense and gripping, with some fantastic tech behind the cutscenes (we’ve been especially impressed with the blood splatter – Ghost is going to be a grimy game in the best of ways). As he’s torn between his upbringing as an honorable samurai and the guerilla warfare approach of the Way Of The Ghost, Jin’s experience is going to be reflected in more than different skill trees. A real conflict goes on inside his heart over the course of the game as he struggles with doing what is right for the people of his island, and what it means to be their protector.

SAMURAI BUT DIFFERENT

While playing as a samurai is hardly a new concept for a videogame, few have really captured the idea of what it meant to be one of the noble warriors beyond combat. By allowing you to follow your own plans and come up with angles of attack, in Ghost Of Tsushima the experience will feel a lot more legitimate than simply playing a character who has samurai fighting skills. Your journey across the island and your iterations, are just as much a part of being a samurai as the fighting. So far it’s looking like everyone’s journey is going to feel like their own, which is exactly what we want from a samurai game – and we don’t have to wait long for it.

OTHER TIDBITS:

• The Mongols aren’t just setting up camps, they’ve captured some castles.

• Sucker Punch says its ethos was “mud, blood, and steel”. All three are stunningly rendered

• A good old-fashioned stab from behind is only the tip of Jin’s array of Ghost skills, which can see him devastate a camp full of invaders singlehanded.

• Beautiful green vistas (sadly occasionally on fire) make Tsushima easy to explore. You just want to see it all.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

I’m worried about the fact that time passes as you explore. It is surely nice, but as someone that likes to explore and take his time, I wonder if this will make me feel the pressure to not do so, if that means I’ll fail other tasks.

I guess its an interesting mechanic, we will see how it works. Just hope it does not bring too much pressure on the player, or maybe, it fits a multiple endings scheme, were you can’t do everything in one playthrough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

Do it 10 days before the release date then, but in optimal case, dont pre order anything in 2020.

I usually don't worry about pre ordering stuff, but this is my most anticipated game this year and that is why. Plus I have the money to do so now. I just might have to try to wait it out.

2 hours ago, snakebit10 said:

I usually don't worry about pre ordering stuff, but this is my most anticipated game this year and that is why. Plus I have the money to do so now. I just might have to try to wait it out.

If the pre order falls through you'll get your money back so it's not like you have anything to lose

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Ghost of Tsushima is now coming out July 17. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/last-of-us-2-ghost-of-tsushima-new-release-date

Would’ve preferred no delay, but that isn’t too bad at least.

Not bad :) Less than a month delay. Early birthday gift.

• Like 1

So you basically changed your name and avatar just for this game?

Since I no longer buy games on release date at full price, this one will have to wait until the tail end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021. I got too many PS4 exclusives I still need to play. Ghosts of Tsushima can wait.

45 minutes ago, Spaz said:

So you basically changed your name and avatar just for this game?

Since I no longer buy games on release date at full price, this one will have to wait until the tail end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021. I got too many PS4 exclusives I still need to play. Ghosts of Tsushima can wait.

Nah, I've been using the nickname since 2008 on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Same here. I don't buy games on release date either since their priced at $90. I notice the price drops quite fast in if you wait 2-3 months. Used a gift card for this so I'm not paying full price.

Just now, Ghost said:

Nah, I've been using the nickname since 2008 on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Same here. I don't buy games on release date either since their priced at $90. I notice the price drops quite fast in if you wait 2-3 months. Used a gift card for this so I'm not paying full price.

I'm avoiding any spoilers to Ghost because I want it to be a blind playthrough if and when I get around to it. Generally games are priced at $60, $90 will indicate there is some DLC or Season Pass that will add more content and trophies to the game.

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm avoiding any spoilers to Ghost because I want it to be a blind playthrough if and when I get around to it. Generally games are priced at $60, $90 will indicate there is some DLC or Season Pass that will add more content and trophies to the game.

I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada. Games used to be $60 here but that was like 15 years ago. Now their $90 with tax and that's just the game alone. On PSN, their priced at $79.99 with no tax.

It sucks. I miss those days. Now I just wait for the price drop.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada. Games used to be $60 here but that was like 15 years ago. Now their $90 with tax and that's just the game alone. On PSN, their priced at $79.99 with no tax.

It sucks. I miss those days. Now I just wait for the price drop.

The first couple years I started trophy hunting there was no tax on PSN. I just recently picked up the PS2 era Grand Theft Auto trilogy for half the price of normal due to the PSN sale that covered it. Still had to pay $1 - 2 from taxes. Bugs me quite a bit. I've probably spent $150 - 200 from just taxes alone on PSN these past couple years.