Self Imposed Trophy Rules

Only slight rule I've got is not buying the PS4 version of The Last Of Us since I have it for PS3 and don't want 2 trophy lists. Still tempted because I want to finish it but can't because it makes my PS3 run really hot.

• Like 1

I only have one rule

Try to keep the fun a higher priority

To be honest, there are quite a few games I just finished for the sake of finishing them as I didn't enjoy them at all or as much as I hoped for. E.g. games like Modnation Racers for Vita, Saturday Morning RPG, Ar nosurge or even some ezpz games like Demetrios, or Aer. But that's mainly for games where the end is foreseeable. But then there are games like Valkyrie Drive, Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate, or Jak 2 which maybe felt enjoyable at first but either become a grind fest (VD) or rather tedious so I decided to cancel any attempts to complete them trophy-wise.

Overall I can say that I enjoyed the majority (about 80% at least) of the games I finished. And on top of that are quite a few games where it's just impossible for me to finish them due to my my reaction skills (can barely do any combos in fighting games and I'm not good enough to finish most songs in rhythm games on hard or higher difficulties), but as long as I have fun with them it, it's okay.

On top of that I don't really care about the rarities of the trophies I gain. Having the plat in a game like Assetto Corsa or Project Cars might be more prestigious than having the plats in e.g. Milestone's racing games but I'm sure that I have way more enjoyment with the latter ones (at least those that aren't tied to any license --> Gravel & Ride).

5 hours ago, BG_painter said:

i like to stack too! I did it with Alien Isolation, I love the game and I don't regret one bit. And tbh, I widh more of my fav games have different lists so I could play it all again :P I got AC4 for ps4, even tho I got the plat for it in ps3, someday I'll play it again. Some games are worth it 1f60e.png

Nice ?, I mean... I don't see a problem with stack games you really love, the problem comes when people think about if stack 10 easy-fast-platinum is a good or bad practice. At the end is your money, your time and your profile, if you don't care what people can think about that continue stack easy games or visual novels (: 

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat about the trophy stacks. I have platinum some games on PS3 and PS4 but I will not buy a game that has multiple regions and play it several times just to boost my count up.

I also like to check if a game has missable trophies. If a game has to many missables I most likely won't play it. I like to be able to get things done in one play through most the time with a little clean up.

My general rule is play games I want to play, regardless if that game has a 90% platinum or a 0.1% as I’ll go after it regardless. So therefore if a game I like has a 90% completion rate I couldn’t care less if it is a game I love, but also vice versa - and yes I’m playing on a 100% completion account, however I follow the rule of trophies aren’t the primary focus. No stacks or doing games I don’t want because I view my lists as games I love in a display cabinet of sorts where all the games I love are stored. 

As far as rules I always go for earning a trophy the legitimate way, for example MHC and if a game has online then I will try to do it without boosting if possible, for example the BF1 DLC, but something such as the 2500 kills in 7DTD I have no issue with doing the exploit for as that number of kills on the PS4 version of the game is an unrealistic ask. For collectibles I used to use guides solely for it but now I tend to usually find most of them as I go along with the exception of open world games unless they have a mission or skill which can reveal them for me, like in Sleeping Dogs. But for linear games I tend to usually stumble upon the wide majority of them. Also don’t tend to look at a guide beforehand but as I’m on a new account a good chunk of the games I play I have already played, and in some cases platinumed before :D 

Edited by Waddlingdan
  • Like 1

Earn what I want. If it's a game I love, I'll try to get them all. I like to challenge myself but I have my limits. Sometimes, the trophy isn't worth the frustration. Other than that, I don't buy games for specifically for trophies. What's the point to have a trophy for a game you can't even remember or even like?

I always try to play the game blind first and enjoy it and I only buy games I want to play.  You could easily fill up your profile with super easy games but you will get bored of playing awful games. 

I try to stay away from games that pretty much force you to play with 4 players to get the trophies. Took me a long time to complete a few games because of this ?

I don't see a problem with guides, especially when you have a game with tons of collectables. I remember in GTA IV you have to find 200 tiny Pigeons scattered across the map. If there was no guide or map showing you, I don't think anybody would even have the trophy.

9 hours ago, SoberNSane said:

Judging by what comes out of your mouth - I've never seen a gamer so misnamed.... Minty fresh would be more appropriate imo...  ?

Haha well thanks :). My username actually has a funny story behind it and that's why it "stuck" :P ever since. 

But I like minty fresh. Has a nice ring to it!

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Nowadays i look at guides before playing if i know a game isn't good (Orc Slayer i.e.)... I use shortcuts like glitches, boosting online trophies and afk grinding with a turbo controller.

I have a better strategy for games that I know aren't good: I don't play them.

I think guides are great. I don't use much of the guide per se, but I love the roadmap part detailing, spoiler-free, if there is something missable, if I can start doing something for a grind to make it less annoying at the end (for example, Tales of games usually require cooking, which can only be done omce after each time you fight a battle. Knowing that I should be doing it during my playthrough even if I don't need the benefits of cooking saves up on a mindless grind later) or if I should be keeping track of something the game does not by itself. This is especially useful for games that do not require a second playthrough.

I dislike trophy stacks which come from just auto-popping everything from your old save file. Those trophies mean nothing, and if the trophies are gonna have no meaning then it's pointless.

I'm fine if you need to play the whole game again, though. Sometimes you want to recomplete a game, so it's nice to have something to show for it (if Rogue Legacy had a different trophy list I would complete it again on Vita and PS4. I'm playing it on Steam because of that, lol)

I was getting platinums before getting into this site, but it's certainly a much straight forward experience nice and saves me a lot of time that I can use to play a new game instead.

17 hours ago, Mami Tomoe said:

This^

and no stacks, no offense to people who loves going for stacks and doing those Sound Shapes 6 times etc but it really looks stupid. I like watching other poeple trophy profiles but whenever I see 200+ plats and easy plats stacked everywhere it feels like a waste of time scrooling through those.

i dont really get it why people do this >.> i see often  in Profiles  4-5 times the same game  over and over and profiles filled with *easy* to earn Platinums only to push the rank 

in my case i look on guides when i want to unlock different endings in games and what i need to do for them 

Edited by Tamikuz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

Oh Splurge! - that is if you really like the game.... I love to stack. Skyrim on PS3 2x, PS4, VR, XB360, XB1X, PC 2x, Switch. Nothing mobile though... I draw the line at mobile...or appliances.....1f604.png

Ha ha ha ha just buy all the copies. I don't know if I like it, haven't played it enough to know.

Lol only buy multiples of the important things clearly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

Oh Splurge! - that is if you really like the game.... I love to stack. Skyrim on PS3 2x, PS4, VR, XB360, XB1X, PC 2x, Switch. Nothing mobile though... I draw the line at mobile...or appliances.....1f604.png

If Mirror's edge was regional, you'd probably see stacks in all regions. I can never get tired of this game. Though I haven't played it in a while just because I want to clear some new games first. 

• Like 1

For me, using guides is fine, I use then 100% of the time. But in terms of rules

1. Paying others/ bribing siblings or friends to earn trophies for you like taking advantage of younger innocent siblings to do the boring grindy ones. 

2. Stacking and skipping muliple random VNs with <1 hour completion times. No one is impressed by having the plat in the PS3, PS4 and Vita versions from three regions of Steins gate or something, all done in under an hour. 

3. Choosing games based on their trophies and avoiding otherwise great games due to them having a long/ difficult platinum in fear of decreasing your completion %. Life is too short for that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

For me, using guides is fine, I use then 100% of the time. But in terms of rules

1. Paying others/ bribing siblings or friends to earn trophies for you like taking advantage of younger innocent siblings to do the boring grindy ones. 

2. Stacking and skipping muliple random VNs with <1 hour completion times. No one is impressed by having the plat in the PS3, PS4 and Vita versions from three regions of Steins gate or something, all done in under an hour. 

3. Choosing games based on their trophies and avoiding otherwise great games due to them having a long/ difficult platinum in fear of decreasing your completion %. Life is too short for that. 

1) Totally agree, a trophy has to be earned by my hand alone or I wouldn't get any sense of completion or enjoyment from earning the plat

2) call me naive, but I didn't even know the multiregion thing was possible. Yes, I'm new. 

3) Honestly, I enjoy going after plats so much that a game will have to be very, very good in other ways to compensate for a lack of platinum. 

13 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

2) call me naive, but I didn't even know the multiregion thing was possible. Yes, I'm new. 

3) Honestly, I enjoy going after plats so much that a game will have to be very, very good in other ways to compensate for a lack of platinum. 

You can technically get at least 6 plats from Steins gate as for the jp versions, the trophy lists are seperate for consoles. And then NA and EU have seperate lists (although not sure if consoles are separate) and it only takes an hour if you skip everything. I've seen this for games like Life is Strange, Psycho Pass etc.

3) for me there it's kingdom hearts. I'm a huge KH fan and have played the originals and have the ps4 remaster, but the plats are way to hard and long as I can just about manage normal mode and there are trophies for proud and critical modes which are impossible for me. FFX is another, I tried and failed 50 times for the Chocobo rider trophy before giving up on the plat, but it's my 2nd favourite FF and couldn't imagine giving it a pass because of the trophy list.

I've heard other people give examples like Yakuza games, Star ocean and Crash Bandicoot, all fairly tough trophies but great games. Kudos to anyone who does get them though! 

9 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

You can technically get at least 6 plats from Steins gate as for the jp versions, the trophy lists are seperate for consoles. And then NA and EU have seperate lists (although not sure if consoles are separate) and it only takes an hour if you skip everything. I've seen this for games like Life is Strange, Psycho Pass etc.

3) for me there it's kingdom hearts. I'm a huge KH fan and have played the originals and have the ps4 remaster, but the plats are way to hard and long as I can just about manage normal mode and there are trophies for proud and critical modes which are impossible for me. FFX is another, I tried and failed 50 times for the Chocobo rider trophy before giving up on the plat, but it's my 2nd favourite FF and couldn't imagine giving it a pass because of the trophy list.

I've heard other people give examples like Yakuza games, Star ocean and Crash Bandicoot, all fairly tough trophies but great games. Kudos to anyone who does get them though! 

I think Yakuza will be it for me. Loved Zero, and will definitely play the rest, but resigned to never getting the Mahjong trophy on any of them

• Like 2

1) I'm the only one on my account that earns trophies.  I've had friends over before and we were playing a game like Street Fighter and the trophy popped for them.  That's fine.  I just wouldn't want to come home and find that someone had earned a bunch of trophies on my account for a game I've never even played.

2) No stacks.  I'm just not a big fan of them.  If you've done it once, you can do it twice.  So, what's the point?  Exception would be for a game like Diablo III where there is enough of a difference between the two stacks.

3) If the game doesn't have any missable, I won't use a guide unless absolutely necessary (i.e. missing one collectible out of 500).

• Like 1