Self Imposed Trophy Rules

No auto-pops and no zero-effort stacks. If I'm going for the game again, it has to be completed fair and square, without any skips. As if, no VN skipping, or disregarding the story by rushing through cutscenes the first playthrough - the idea is "if I'm going through the game again, this means that I'm doing this to play through the game I like all over again, with the added incentive of more trophies, not to just get more trophies that just happen to have the game attached to them

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aceboy9 said:

My rule for trophies is to play the game first before I start going for the platinum, even if it means I have to play a game twice or more. I'd rather enjoy my first time experience than worry about missing trophies or having to do specific actions. My only exception to that rule is if the trophies have a hardest difficulty trophy. In that case I will play the game on the hardest difficulty. 

I must admit I look at guides first - same games have missable trophies that just require luck to not miss and I don't want to play a game a third or forth time (Trails of cold steel comes to mind) 

• Like 1

Going for completion has become a chore.  Now as Im getting older I find myself not playing these games cause trophies have ruined all the fun.  I envy all you people who can sit down and just play the game, to not worry about missing a trophy.  Now that im 45 I just want to play a game and forget trophies...  Im so hardwired for trophies I have lost interest in gaming.  :(

Edited by Paradigmatica
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Paradigmatica said:

Going for completion has become a chore.  Now as Im getting older I find myself not playing these games cause trophies have ruined all the fun.  I envy all you people who can sit down and just play the game, to not worry about missing a trophy.  Now that im 45 I just want to play a game and forget trophies...  Im so hardwired for trophies I have lost interest in gaming.  :(

It may go both ways, but trophies still add a lot of fun for me. A target for open world games, and often things to do after the main narrative is over. The only bad thing for me is that I'll very rarely buy a game that doesn't have a platinum trophy - I'd feel like I was wasting time in a way (I don't care about trophies other than platinum - just my weird thing) 

• Like 2

Let’s see, can I say this in a way that doesn’t offend anyone? Possibly not. My only real trophy rule is no trophy whoring games. Let’s face it, if games like Nubla, Dying Reborn, Slyde or Midnight Deluxe didn’t have trophies, nobody would be buying them. So I steer clear of games with very high platinum rarity. That being said I did buy Cat Quest yesterday (plat is 73.62%) because it looks like a fun wee game and a lot of people on here recommend it.

• Like 1

I have over 20 games that I stacked either because I really enjoyed the game, or did it because of the "easy" trophies.

I did Sly Cooper and Sound Shapes with all possible stacks. Murdered Soul Suspect and My Name is Mayo was purely because of the trophies.

However I just found "easy" games, or games that automatically give you trophies when you stack them to be outright boring and not satisfying at all. It felt rather dishonest when I ended up getting over 200 trophies in one afternoon by simply doing the region stacks of Sound Shapes. But if I couldn't do that and had to go through Death Mode all over again five more times, I wouldn't of bothered to begin with.

Since September or so I've been focusing more on games that I actually wanted to play rather than just buy up easy 100 percents and easy platinums. It was almost funny that I left The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for over a year, tried again last August only to quit until this past week. It's a long platinum, at least 100 hours if not more but I'm enjoying every minute of it. Those are the kinds of games people should be striving for.

• Like 1

While I'm not an advocate of 100% blind runs unless I'm convinced I'm not screwing things up or the game is short, I'm also not going to do something like ruin my entire run by playing in some stupid way or difficulty I'm not comfortable with (either too easy or too hard). Also games like Point&Clicks, the whole gameplay is about figuring out puzzles and usually there's tons of fun/witty commentary and story hidden just clicking around at useless stuff or things that might appear to be important. Obviously I'm going to at least try to solve them. I don't generally play those on PS systems, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starlove- said:

Never buy games for the sake of trophies in themselves. Talking about useless crap like My Name is Mayo. Cheap, sure, but for me still not worth it.

This is my rule as well. That is just a step too far for me.

Huh, I'm a little surprised so many others dislike stacks as well.  It's one thing to replay something you liked years later on a different system (I've done it), but some people just go back-to-back-to-back with the same game in different regions etc.  I'm just not interested in that personally.  I never really though about it as a rule though, just something I wasn't interested in.

I also see people mentioning avoiding those easy games that just hand out extremely easy trophies (and in some cases seem to be made entirely for that purpose).  Again, that's not something I considered to be a rule I had, but yeah, I'm also not interested in that.

Other than that my only real rule is that whatever I'm going for I've got to do it myself or not at all.  No begging someone to shareplay it for me, drag me, dump a bunch of items or other stuff like that.  I'm fine with boosting where we're both/all putting in similar effort and just making it easier on all of us.

I had two rules, one of which I broke a couple of weeks ago when I platinumed Assassin's Creed II for the second time after buying the Ezio trilogy, I platinumed the original on PS3 a couple of years back. I even passed on Batman: The Telltale Series when it was PS Plus a while back because of that rule which was basically no double platinums. Essentially it was to help me keep playing stuff I hadn't seen before but after AC Origins got me back into Assassin's Creed, I wanted to give Brotherhood and Revelations a try and it's a waste of money to buy a trilogy and not play one of the games, even if I'd played it before. Luckily I loved Assassin's Creed II so it wasn't a hassle or boring to play it a second time. 

So now I'm left with one rule, no autopopping. Whether I find it hard or easy or if it takes 100+ hours, whether it has a platinum or not, I'm at least going to sit here and play the game in its entirety if the platinum/100% is something I think I'll enjoy. 

Here's my take on this:

1) I personally will never buy games for easy trophies. Imo it doesn't make your profile look great butttt what really matters is whether there is a nice person behind this profile or not

2) I personally don't care about stacking and I've done it myself with a few titles simply because I enjoyed it. There's definitely no cheating involved and imo it fairs just as any other platinum as it had to be earned again, especially if the plat was challenging to begin with. 

3) stop reading this post and don't worry about what I think. Go stack some nubla and mayo plats because it doesn't make a difference in my book about what person X and Y did :P

• Like 4

7 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Recently I joined the site, and upon mentioning it to a friend, he was incredulous that I would find such a thing useful. He likes getting trophies but says, in a needlessly macho (childish) fashion, that a trophy guide makes a trophy worthless. That they should be earned alone. 

you should chalenge your friend to get all 200 pigeons and/or the jumps in gta 4 whitout any kind of help and see if he is ''MAN'' enough for the job.

p.s. he will said that he don't like gta.

Basically, I don't have any real firm rules besides earn the trophies myself (I never let anyone else play on my profile) and don't cheat (hack). I will exploit glitches, on occasion, but tend towards doing trophies as legitimately as possible. I'm more than willing to stack games, particularly if I really enjoyed the game, and tend to go back and forth on whether I would autopop trophies (with a legitimate cross-save or something along those lines) or not, but I haven't really had a chance to at this point anyway.

I also won't play a game just for trophies if I don't think I would enjoy the game on it's own (My Name is Mayo, et al), though I have no problems playing games with very easy platinums (The Walking Dead, or any of the TellTale games, really).

Edited by CLef86

9 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I just pay attention to the milestones, nothing more than that.

I like milestones too :)

8 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

Seld-imposed trophy rules... I never saw it coming 1f605.png

And what about stack long or hard games? :awesome: I did it with Persona Golden and  believe me, I would like stack another great games like P5 or .Hack G.U 1f605.png

i like to stack too! I did it with Alien Isolation, I love the game and I don't regret one bit. And tbh, I widh more of my fav games have different lists so I could play it all again :P I got AC4 for ps4, even tho I got the plat for it in ps3, someday I'll play it again. Some games are worth it ?

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have over 20 games that I stacked either because I really enjoyed the game, or did it because of the "easy" trophies.

I did Sly Cooper and Sound Shapes with all possible stacks. Murdered Soul Suspect and My Name is Mayo was purely because of the trophies.

However I just found "easy" games, or games that automatically give you trophies when you stack them to be outright boring and not satisfying at all. It felt rather dishonest when I ended up getting over 200 trophies in one afternoon by simply doing the region stacks of Sound Shapes. But if I couldn't do that and had to go through Death Mode all over again five more times, I wouldn't of bothered to begin with.

Since September or so I've been focusing more on games that I actually wanted to play rather than just buy up easy 100 percents and easy platinums. It was almost funny that I left The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for over a year, tried again last August only to quit until this past week. It's a long platinum, at least 100 hours if not more but I'm enjoying every minute of it. Those are the kinds of games people should be striving for.

I considered getting Murdered soul suspect plat again in ps4. I got it in ps3, It was not a bad game it was quite interesting, imo. lately I haven't had much patience for plats that take more than 100 hrs... ? maybe with time i'll change my mind.

---

The ONLY thing I dislike is glitched trophies. Overall, anything goes. ? For me there is no point in making rules or "despise" certain trophies for a hobby that have no real meaning IRL. Just enjoy gaming ppl ?

Edited by BG_painter

Just to not have others earn my trophies for me. I guess boosting can be considered similar, but meh. I don't think it's the same as just handing a controller over and having someone play it for you so you get it.Even in situations where you get carried via boosting, sometimes you can be carried through by just random matchmaking. Depending on the type of game.

I try to avoid guides until the end, but for missable trophies (the bane of my existence) I always keep  an eye out.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much like most posters who've replied.

But I did want to note with stacks - I think the problem is seeing the same game like 5 times in a row. If someone replays a game in a different version, and it's separated from the original Plat, it's less trophy-whore-ish.

Does that make sense? Probably not. But neither does this dumb hobby of ours to most people.

I don't have any "rules", per se, but I won't go out of my way to buy games I'm not already somewhat interested in and sink hours of my life into absolute shit or games that don't pique my interest in some fashion just for the sake of inflating my trophy count (though, I know someone will mention Mayo on my profile, even though I found the game to be fucking hilarious and for .99 or whatever it cost, it served it's purpose as a small stress/comic relief while I did something else IRL that was far more tedious at the same time). I also won't let a trophy list prevent me from either buying a game because it either doesn't have a platinum, or one that I could reasonably see myself achieving (or even wanting to), and know my limits from "caring about completing a game" to "wow, this is starting to feel like a second job".

That's pretty much it, though.

Oh, and in response to the topic: The "guide's are essentially cheating" argument has been going on since the days when Brady Games and all those published books were still the go-to for most people's game-related questions, along with using text based FAQs at places like GameFAQs in the late 90's and very early 2000's before the era of youtube. Some people get the concept, others just completely buck it completely, so I wouldn't let it get to you. Just had a discussion with a coworker who feels that me thoroughly "planning" a playthrough of Persona 5 so I can maximize my time management and max out everything in one go is "disgusting" and "defeats the spirit of the game". To tell you the truth, I actually "went with the flow" when I played the third game when they initially introduced the day-to-day time mechanic to the series, and felt more overwhelmed by how all my mistakes were piling on and I was at a pace to not see through almost any of the S.Links to even see their plots through let alone perks, that I started over the entire game with a more calculated approach (at about 75% through an 80 hour game, mind you), and had a way better time with it and will continue to do this for all Persona games that follow this format going forward. The only reason i say this, besides Persona 5 being on my mind lately, is just to show that people have different habits and everyone seems to find something weird about the way the next guy's way of approaching completing and just playing games in geneal.

• Like 1

Rules huh.. I always look out for glitches. But most of the time I pick games that are for free with ps plus and such (yeah saving money!) and games that I like. With the games that I like, I just go for it. No matter the difficulty (ex. Nioh),  the grind ( ex. Mortal Kombat X) or the glitches. If I like it, I go for it.

Edited by Emillius-Maximus