Do i have a PS4 or an airport?

Hvalpen

Hey guys, when i play some games on my ps4(example, TLOU remastered) it has a habit of going into overdrive and start to sound like airplanes are taking off inside my ps4. I figured "Hey prob fan clotted with dust" cuz it sounds like its the fan working overdrive. I opened the PS4 and surprisingly there was not a lot of dust in the fan, i cleaned it anyway. The sound appear slightly less now but at times still shows up heavily. What else can it be if not dust in the fan?

• Like 4

This is common with the original PS4.

The Slim and Pro have a more quieter engine. Seen this for myself when I went over to a friends house the other day.

Maybe one day I'll see if I can get any trade in value for a vanilla PS4 and try to get a discount on a Slim. Fat chance of that happening though.

@Hvalpen I also have that issue with my standard ps4, sometimes the noise is so loud I think it may take off to Mars or smth and never return. 

Also noticed that digital games makes my ps4 go to overdrive faster and louder than physical games, does anyone have the same problem? (I've cleaned the fan as well).

Edited by PhantomBlade19
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spaz said:

This is common with the original PS4.

The Slim and Pro have a more quieter engine. Seen this for myself when I went over to a friends house the other day.

Maybe one day I'll see if I can get any trade in value for a vanilla PS4 and try to get a discount on a Slim. Fat chance of that happening though.

My original PS4 was pretty loud, but yea ps4 pro is nice, the only time mine gets very loud is when i'm playing The Witcher 3.  

• Like 1

There’s defined a couple of games I’ve played (on my Pro) that tax the console so much that the fan sounds like a damn hairdryer - mostly big, graphics intensive games - God of War and Horizon. 

Both made headphones basically a requirement. 

Mine is the similiar. I had the original PS4 which used to get extremely loud whenever I played big titles. Upgraded to the slim and the fan isn't as loud but still a little loud at times. I wouldn't worry to much, Mine used to get so loud I'd have to turn my tv up louder cause the noise would just drown the game out ?

• Like 1

It's how it is. Normal. Chances are your ps4 is older now. Thermal drying. More cpu cores working more now as they unlocked them. More heat. Fan working more. Room temp is higher. More higher humidity. Global warming. Etc. 

I cleaned my fans couple weeks ago and it still pretty loud for certain games. But then also "loud" depends what is tolerable to each of us. I personally think we are just overreacting how loud it is...?

36 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I have a slim, most games are quiet, but as soon as I start multiplayer on Doom I feel like I need to wheel my chair away from the console or duck.

Ikr! ?

18 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Mine goes apeshit with certain games too. First time it happend with Witcher 3, but it really depends. 

It's funny, because I've never had this Problem with the PS3.

^ Mine's kind of the opposite. As soon as I boot up a game on my PS3, it sounds like I initiated a launch sequence of NASA's spaceship ?

• Like 2

I've got a standard PS4 and it also gets very loud in some games.  The game where I noticed this the most was Metal Gear Solid V.  But, only when I was sitting in the chopper looking through the menus for a little while.  The fans on the PS4 did their best to sound like a helicopter themselves.  It was pretty crazy, since that part of the game was just basically a non-interactive hub/mission select/base management area, but I guess it wasn't very optimized.

Other games have gotten loud at times too, like God of War, but I probably tend not to notice it as much when there's some actual gameplay involved.

So much negativity in this thread. It's perfectly normal for the PS4 to do this. It's speeding up to counter act the extreme heat being put out by your CPU and GPU. Computers do this as well, you're just hearing it more because the PS4 comes from a slimmer base unit. 

Cleaning the fan is always good for longevity purposes, but it's won't "solve the problem" because there's nothing to solve. Your PS4 is doing its job. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

PS4 disc mechanic is ridiculously loud (no matter the version, I've tried multiple; original, pro, slim), same goes for fans. PS4, original, slim, pro, is just ridiculously loud. Those saying it's not are not bothered by noise as easily as others. Doesn't change the fact it is loud.

I don't think its louder than what it is. Damn fan is a 10000 RPM model. Those things pushes tremendous amount of air at 100% workload. Stop thinking and zoning in on it so much. It'll get quieter.

It's not the system, It's your head!!!

Also if you play late at night maybe around 11-3am. Itll be a lot more noticeable. There is a lot lesser sound going on around you. 

• Like 1

Ps4 launch model, slim or pro model. Doesnt matter as theyre all loud. It depends on what game youre playing. Ill bet you once that RDR2 releases, physical disc or digital, your ps4 wont sound like an airport any longer but 20 jet fighters and 50 tanks having an all out war inside your ps4 as that game will most likely suck every life out of your console just to make the game run.

Edited by UlvenFenrir