WARNING! Message exploit causing console bricking

MidnightDragon

I have always had my message inbox only open to friends on PSN because I see little point in exchanging messages with people not even on my friend list other than having the typical salty fellow tell me I suck and curse some after I beat the living stuff out of them in whatever game so that's a non-issue here :lol: thanks for the heads-up though!

I am terribly annoyed by the number of blank friend requests I get, which I do not accept under any circumstance, including those with a message which does not explain who they are. Maybe that will prevent some odds at being hit by this too ^_^ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sergen said:

I doubt we'd ever see anything like this happen on Xbox... How could Sony really fuck up their network so much that receiving a message causes you to have to factory reset your console? I have made my messages as "friends only" for now, but surely it should be patched out immediately and they should look more into the messages to make sure shit like this can never happen again. 

If you read more on it, text is complicated to implement. A reddit user explains how complicated it can get.  

• Like 1

Set my Messages to Friends Only, will change it back to normal until further notice till this issue is fixed.

It's even scarier when as of late I've been getting messages from obvious scammers I've been ignoring, so yeah this being a thing now required action.

Edited by Crzy Minus

Oddly enough I just opened back up my messages for all a week or so ago and instantly got a message from a random. I noticed at least 10 of my "friends" befriended this bot. It's a trap guys! Guess it's time to close messaging from strangers again! Thxs SONY!

Spoiler

wsSDRmT.png

15 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Oddly enough I just opened back up my messages for all a week or so ago and instantly got a message from a random. I noticed at least 10 of my "friends" befriended this bot. It's a trap guys! Guess it's time to close messaging from strangers again! Thxs SONY!

Hide contents

wsSDRmT.png

Do people really fall for these sorts of profiles? 

"Check out my naked picks." Sheesh. Then come the requests for money. Then you find out it's a guy. 

Anyone who is genuinely this desperate would use Tinder, not the Playstation Network...

22 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Hide contents

wsSDRmT.png

Got a friend request from this exact same account too a few days ago, seems to be the same for my brother too (which haven’t touched the PS4 for about a year). This account must be spamming everyone. Glad i deleted it, especially now that this bricking stuff is going on.

Just now, OJ9999vr said:

Got a friend request from this exact same account too a few days ago, seems to be the same for my brother too (which haven’t touched the PS4 for about a year). This account must be spamming everyone. Glad i deleted it, especially now that this bricking stuff is going on.

Yeah, first they friend you. Then they message you from within. Tricky bastards.

36 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Hide contents

wsSDRmT.png

I received a friend request from this PSN account as well! In fact (if I can recall correctly), I received the FR at least two weeks before this warning was called out. I declined it as this user profile looked very suspicious to me. Also, what kind of user on PSN sends FRs to randoms with the message "hello, I like you."? *insert disgusted image/gif here* After that I recalled that my friend request setting were set to "anyone" so then I changed it to "friends of friends".

Edited by Skeptical69

1 hour ago, SolarCat02 said:

Do people really fall for these sorts of profiles? 

"Check out my naked picks." Sheesh. Then come the requests for money. Then you find out it's a guy. 

Anyone who is genuinely this desperate would use Tinder, not the Playstation Network...

Yes because most people are thirsty AF. 

It's the way of life unfortunately...

5 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Hide contents

wsSDRmT.png

This is the female bot I was referring to above I screenshot the account and shared to twitter after I blocked it.