Insane without reloading

rockstarjazz

Ugh, just reading about your "adventures" makes me remember how much Insane mode has made me hate this game. 

In the first Outlast game, Insane mode was fair. And FUN! That's the keyword here, FUN! Practicing made you a bit of a bad ass who could master the entire 1 hour run, and getting the trophy felt satisfying. If you died, it was because you messed up. It was basically an hour long test of your memory, and how quick and smooth you could pull off various task. In Outlast 2 however, there's just too much "just because". It's really, really unfair, when you do what you do in runs that are successful, but suddenly get killed for it. Nick and Laird in particular feel so bugged, and it's completely random if you die or not. This makes me sound like a sore loser, I know, but I'm not kidding. In the barb wire forest, I'm doing what I'm always doing. I jump through the window of the hut EXACTLY as Nick and Laird break the door down. Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. Then after the terrible sequence of moving from cover to cover, I've had the exact same issues as you, in the area with the rope. Sometimes a redneck just SPAWNS next to the rope, even if he wasn't there before. And sometimes he doesn't!?

All of this would be ok if the game was 1 hour, maybe 1.5 hours, long. But, like I mentioned in an earlier post, by the time you reach Nick and Laird, you have easily invested 1 hour+ in the game, only to fail because of some crap.  

You have kind of inspired me to try again, though. 

Edited by Maahniac
  • Like 2

@Nighcisama, this is basically reading Monster Hunter World all over again.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne just came out, and I'm probably not surprised you won't be touching that game anytime soon.

You've made good progress with Outlast 2. I feel many games with Ultra Rare platinums take dedication and perseverance to plow through. You can't expect to just get them done. Keep trying, and you'll eventually make it.

Or, you can just take a break from the game.

On 19.9.2019 at 9:02 AM, Maahniac said:

Ugh, just reading about your "adventures" makes me remember how much Insane mode has made me hate this game. 

You have kind of inspired me to try again, though. 

Yeah it is easy to forget how much it sucks at times, but the reminders just keep coming once you are back at the usual unskippable cutscenes just to practice a chapter cause you want to refresh your map layout memory. I get why people hate this game, I really hate it myself by now, I even hate the people who developed it and I really was close to just hide it and never ever talk about it again, but seems like I am a glutton for punishment and misery, and the hate actually kinda keeps me motivated because I do not want to give these scumbag developers the satisfaction of further ruining my completion rate, this subpar shitstain of a platinum ain't super meat boy, not even close, but I still find the 7/10 in the guide to be a really bad joke.

Gotta say though, as much as I never usually would want for anyone to try for this bullshit platinum, I really recommend it in your case. Your profile is one of the most impressive ones I have seen in quite a while, this is what I would want my profile to look like if i wasn't such a scrub. Having this nasty game as a blemish on your nearly perfect completion rate is more than this game deserves. You have completed more difficult games, you have the stomach to sit through shitty recycled sports game after shitty recycled sports game for hundreds of hours and really put in the work, so I have no doubts that you have the skill to get it and more importantly, that you have the stomach and the patience to keep trying often enough until you get that one lucky run in which the game does not fuck you over in any way, and you also won't choke in tricky encounters. You can do it, I don't know if it is good for your sanity but you certainly could do it if you really dedicated yourself to it, getting my doubts whether or not I actually can do it before deleting it on impulse.

On 20.9.2019 at 0:48 PM, Spaz said:

@Nighcisama, this is basically reading Monster Hunter World all over again.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne just came out, and I'm probably not surprised you won't be touching that game anytime soon.

You've made good progress with Outlast 2. I feel many games with Ultra Rare platinums take dedication and perseverance to plow through. You can't expect to just get them done. Keep trying, and you'll eventually make it.

Or, you can just take a break from the game.

I say this much, the majority of my last 10 platinums were somewhat miserable experiences, for vastly different reasons, so there definitely are some more fun ones on my list for the rest of the year, cause that criteria came a bit short over the last months, don't wanna touch mhwib. Thanks to Outlast 2, Alien Isolation is now on my "fuck that, not doing it" list, because it has an ironman run twice as long, ain't even touching that with a long stick, aside from clean ups I play fun games for the rest of the year, the only game allowed to kick me in the dick for the rest of 2019 is super meat boy, if I even go anywhere near it again this year.

Edit: So since my break is sadly over, here are my newest attempts.

9. Got stuck on some shit in chapter 1 and died, my fault, got some rust to shake off thats for sure.

10. Nick&Laird arrowed me on the ledge. As @Maahniac mentioned you have absolutely zero control over that, sometimes he fires, sometimes he does not, sometimes it hits, sometimes it does not, this time it fucked me over.

11. Marta. “This way is forgiveness” indeed, bitch took the other side around the fence for the first time after more than 20 times I have seen this encounter(normal, practice and actual runs), old hag just took the stairs for some reason, I ran the other side but she catched up and killed me before I reached the elevator(maybe she turned halfway?), not sure what to think of this to be honest, guess you actually can die in every single encounter even if you do pretty much the same thing each time, at least it was kinda early in the game.

12. Nick&Laird arrowed me in the last encounter because the famous randomly spawning shitty redneck appeared and made the normal route impossible to take, sadly the route I had to take out of necessity lead me straight into an arrow. That one still does not make any sense to me and I have given up on trying to figure it out, if he spawns it just is game over.

13. Nick&Laird first encounter, arrow flew in between the two trees and must have hit me in the finger or something. Probably my fault, you just have no room for mistakes here and I probably would have needed to stay a fourth of a step further to the right to survive, not too mad about that one, still more reliable than hiding in a bush or a tent.

14. Crawling spastics first real chase in chapter 4. Now THIS ONE pissed me the hell off. Normally the only two ways to actually die here are getting stuck in the dark stair corner while running up, or running past the small opening, neither happend in this run, but Blake ran out of stamina way too early so they catched up and killed me. Made zero sense because there is only one route to take and I could not reproduce this shit in nightmare, shortly after the wheel rolls through the room he just began to slow down from lack of stamina, MUCH earlier than usual. Never happened before, most likely won’t happen again, games bullshit at times.

Furthest I have ever gotten in an actual insane run so far, still a huge blow to my motivation. Some people would consider this to be a breakthrough, but that could not be further from the truth. I consider it to be a big letdown because I died pretty late in the game, during an encounter I considered to be nearly impossible for me to die in, mostly because it basically was till now, at least in nightmare difficulty. Thats a bummer to morale.

Edited by Nighcisama

I got so lucky that i got the platinum on my 3rd attempt. But after alot of practicing on nightmare. 

The Nick and Laird section where you sneak by him and shimmy along a edge and then walk a long log is the part where i died every single time. 

When jumping of the log there is a 50/50 chance you get shoot and a 80/20% chance you get one shot. 

10 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

12. Nick&Laird arrowed me in the last encounter because the famous randomly spawning shitty redneck appeared and made the normal route impossible to take, sadly the route I had to take out of necessity lead me straight into an arrow. That one still does not make any sense to me and I have given up on trying to figure it out, if he spawns it just is game over.

Pretty sure you can force enemies to spawn in certain positions by taking a certain route. Thats what i did (If i'm thinking of the right encounter, was a long time since i played). There is 100% strategies for almost every encounter except certain Nick & Laird encounters. If you can get past the last N/L encounter you should be golden since the last part of the game is easy if you have practiced and know where to go. Had 0% battery when i reached the water part with Val but managed to get past it just by knowing the route inside out. 

25 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I say this much, the majority of my last 10 platinums were somewhat miserable experiences, for vastly different reasons, so there definitely are some more fun ones on my list for the rest of the year, cause that criteria came a bit short over the last months. Thanks to Outlast 2, Alien Isolation is now on my "fuck that, not doing it" list, because it has an ironman run twice as long, ain't even touching that with a long stick, aside from clean ups I play fun games for the rest of the year, the only game allowed to kick me in the dick for the rest of 2019 is super meat boy, if I even go anywhere near it again this year.

One thing I will point out is I garner more respect for those who get annoying platinums like Outlast 2 rather than just stack a bunch of easy games. That basically petered out for me two years ago, haven't really gone back to that stuff since.

I know a few games I started in the past few months will likely give me trouble at some point. Vanquish, DOOM 2, Capcom Arcade Cabinet, Woah Dave!, maybe even Resident Evil depending on how much I like or hate the game. The difference between the stuff I have and the stuff you've done this year is I enjoy the games I started. The only one I've been a bit frustrated with is Capcom Arcade Cabinet because it has absolutely brutal trophies. The games themselves for the most part are good, and despite a number of their shitty practices I really enjoy some of Capcom's stuff.

Alien Isolation I think is much easier. But knowing your hatred for ironman runs and speed runs I don't know if you're going to play it.

If I were you in your shoes right now I would probably start on Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and finish off what you need left for Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

San Andreas is by far the best of the PS2 era Grand Theft Auto games. The issue that a lot of younger people have with these games is they haven't aged all too well compared to some other PS2 classics. Personally I played the living shit out of these games when they came out, loved them for what they were and wouldn't mind going back to them like I did with Bully. The graphics are dated, the gameplay is far below today's standards, the acting is cheesy. But the PS2 generation was a more innocent time in gaming. I wish I could go back to those days.

Uncharted 3 on Brutal isn't as bad as Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 has the WORST Brutal difficulty in the initial Uncharted trilogy not only because it has absolutely frustrating bits (train section, boss fight with Zoran) but the digital version patched out the glitch. The glitch still works with Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3 in the Nathan Drake trilogy for the digital versions. The speedrun was piss easy compared to Brutal. Still love the games, if I ever were to make a new alt account these would probably be the first games I would play.

I've been on the fence for quite some time regarding Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The Royal Edition that comes with all DLC isn't that expensive, but I still hear reviews saying the game is a bit boring and the characters aren't all that great. I don't think anything beats The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt when it comes to scope, character development and just going out exploring but I've always held an interest in games that take place in Medieval Europe. With all the games on my backlog I don't know if I'll get around to Kingdom Come anytime soon.

With Outlast 2 frustrating you, either keep trying or put it off some more. I don't know what you're in considering you've taken three months between Monster Hunter World and Outlast 2. The horror genre is NOT my cup of tea generally, although I've done some horror games (Lone Survivor, Limbo).

My one game that is still causing me to strike a nerve is trying to get Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy. The hardest trophy I've ever attempted in one of the hardest games I ever played.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

@Nighcisama I have never played Outlast or Outlast 2, didn't watch any playthrough or anything... and I still find myself reading about your attempts ? It is very easy to understand how you feel playing this game by simply reading your posts...  

In any case, it sounds like this is a platinum worth something. Don't let that last attempt kill your motivation! I know that's easier said than done, I've lost my drive before, being so close to overcoming a challenge just to lose a run at the very end. Obviously there is nothing I can say to help you with this one, but man, keep at it, and good luck!!

Once it's done, it will have been worth the effort :) (You can worry about SMB later... ?)

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

@Nighcisama Thank you so much! You flatter me! But you have a pretty damn impressive list yourself, with a high completion rating, so I'd say we are in the same boat ? We just have to power through. I'll give Outlast 2 another try for the remainder of September, as I don't really have anything to play until October. Just reading some of those recent attempts you've made, makes me dread it though. Reading stuff like randomly running out of stamina, and getting stuck in random places and so on brings back so many bad memories.

I think it's kind of bullshit that they've made the trophy the way they have. I mean, the game is around 3 hours long. For some people that's a very long time to dedicate to a game, where you can't save any progress. You could technically have made it to the last cutscene with the baby and Knoth, and then have your PS4 crash, a power shortage or whatever, and everything would be lost. At least they could have given us ONE SAVE for us to use, whenever we wanted to. I would use mine at the beginning of the barb wire forest-area with Nick and Laird, that's for sure.

Ok I am done with it, I reached my hard limit for attempts, seems like this will be impossible for me. My last 5 attempts ended basically the same way just in different areas, randomly dying thanks to getting stuck somewhere for absolutely no reason. On two occasions my character straight up refused to crawl through an opening, never did that before but did it two times in my last 5 attempts, killing me in the process. The furthest I have ever gotten in this game was until the bathroom encounter with the pedo, I run to the last stall and want to crawl beneath it, but my character just refuses to, he stops moving entirely and 2 seconds later I am dead thanks to the pedo catching up, never died there before because dying there is nearly impossible. Tried one more time, another crappy unusual death, amazing .

Decided to try one last time for the day and invited one of my buddies to watch me via shareplay, kept talking to him to keep me entertained because I know this game in and out by now and are only still somewhat nervous on the Marta cart & running from Nick&Laird thanks to a certain randomness you can never fully get rid of, everything else is just business as usual even if I feel miserable playing it, could do it blindfolded, at least chapters 1-4. So in this attempt my Character stops crawling for a solid 2-3 seconds during the hunt where you have to crawl beneath the house in ch1, never did that before and started moving again just as randomly as he stopped, so I still barely make it through because that part has some tolerance for shit like this. Made it past Nick&Laird first encounter, also second one, then the luck based third one that had Nick&Laird not bust in the door this time so I had to improvise, got to the ledge and had them fire TWO arrows barely past my head while I escaped over the ledge, another thing that never happened but I survived, both me and my buddy watching nearly shitting bricks because of how close that was. Survived the cover encounter too, nothing unusual here, then got the bury cutscene followed by the short run you have to make, so familiar with the area here that I gave my observer a play by play from which direction the crawlies will come. I reach the fence I have to crawl under unchallenged like every single time before in this piss easy encounter, crawl under it, character gets stuck straight in the middle of the opening for absolutely NO reason at all, couldn't move for several seconds despite moving my analog stick around, then get killed because the enemies swarm my stuck ass. My buddy watching also was like "Dude, that was bullshit", and it absolutely was, like quite a few of my recent deaths. I can't reproduce this crawling bug, I completed the bathroom stall crap TEN TIMES in a row without any problem via chapter select just to see if there was anything off by it that made me get stuck, nothing, you actively have to try to get killed here by sitting down and not moving, unless you play an actual insane run of course then it kills you because thats apparrently what the devs of this thing want.

I feel like I deserve this platinum, I made it past the entire mines on nightmare practice several times in a row by now, I made it past Nick&Laird several times by now even on insane only to randomly die due to shit i can't reproduce, guess the game does not want me to get that, so i am done, getting this game as a completionist was playing russian roulette with my accounts purpose a bit and I just happened to lose, nothing else to say on the matter really.

Offtopic for the 3 guys that follow me on other games too:

Where to go from here? My new plan is to unlock at least one more trophy for each of the clean up games I have under Outlast 2 so that they move on over it, and above that barricade of Outlast 2, completion is no longer a concern to me, because 100% has become unavailable it seems. I will try to platinum games I consider worthy of that time investment, but 100% is not something I will aim for anymore, only if I really like them and the few I already bought the dlc for anyway, like KDC or Nioh. I was fully ready to come back to try and complete a game like SMB that has a platinum WAY above my paygrade, came back to this platformer several times over the years and always clawed my way to more virtual bling by never fully giving up and steadily improving and slowly headbutting my way further through that wall, would rate my chance to actually get every trophy quite low but technically possible with weeks of hardcore practice, yet I have hereby given up on Outlast 2, just to put into perspective how soul crushing this platinum is, I doubt i will try it again, too disgusting, maybe if they make the cutscenes skippable.

On 23.9.2019 at 11:47 AM, Maahniac said:

@Nighcisama Thank you so much! You flatter me! But you have a pretty damn impressive list yourself, with a high completion rating, so I'd say we are in the same boat 1f602.png We just have to power through. I'll give Outlast 2 another try for the remainder of September, as I don't really have anything to play until October. Just reading some of those recent attempts you've made, makes me dread it though. Reading stuff like randomly running out of stamina, and getting stuck in random places and so on brings back so many bad memories.

Well that completion rate I had going is about to do a nosedive it probably won't get back up from. We were in the same boat, but then I lost the will to suffer any more and decided that throwing myself into the water to drown is preferable to slowly dying of thirst, because there was no hope of ever finding an island for me in the first place. I hope you have more luck with this game than I had, for unnatural luck is all that is needed. If you absolutely can't stomach finishing it, just hide the turd, your profile is 4 times as large as mine, you have been doing this for 10 years, if that thing is at one point the last step between you and getting back to 100%, just hide it.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

@Nighcisama I have never played Outlast or Outlast 2, didn't watch any playthrough or anything... and I still find myself reading about your attempts 1f605.png It is very easy to understand how you feel playing this game by simply reading your posts...  

In any case, it sounds like this is a platinum worth something. Don't let that last attempt kill your motivation! I know that's easier said than done, I've lost my drive before, being so close to overcoming a challenge just to lose a run at the very end. Obviously there is nothing I can say to help you with this one, but man, keep at it, and good luck!!

Once it's done, it will have been worth the effort :) (You can worry about SMB later... 1f605.png)

He's made the same quality of posts for Super Meat Boy and Monster Hunter World.

What I will say for him is he's a lot more impatient about getting the last few trophies for the platinum than I am. Super Meat Boy is the only game on my list that truly had me bitching and thinking I'm just not good enough for that last push. Because we both know that compared to everything else, Impossible Boy is a huge difficulty spike, and takes the most time out of all the no death runs to get good at.

31 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

Where to go from here? My new plan is to unlock at least one more trophy for each of the clean up games I have under Outlast 2 so that they move on over it, and above that barricade, that line made of shit called Outlast 2, completion is no longer of any concern to me, because 100% has become permanently unavailable for all I know. I will try to platinum games I consider worthy of that time investment, but 100% is not something I will aim for anymore, maybe only for games I really like and the few I already bought the dlc for anyway, like Kingdom Come Deliverance or Nioh. I was fully ready to come back to try and complete a game like Super Meat Boy that has a platinum WAY above my paygrade, came back to this platformer several times over the years and always clawed my way to more virtual bling by never fully giving up and steadily improving and slowly headbutting my way further through that wall, would rate my chance to actually get every trophy quite low but technically possible with weeks of hardcore practice, yet I have fully given up on Outlast 2, just to put into perspective how soul crushing this shitpile of a platinum is. Since I consider myself to be cheated out of this platinum by the games bullshit, I may actually get it one day by trading it with another platinum via shareplay and having someone else do this shit instead of me, maybe I return to being a completionist then, but I doubt it will ever come to that because not using shareplay for things like this is pretty much an iron rule for me, just like not hiding any games I have even if they ruin my completion, and I don't know anyone who could do it at this point anyway. For me, this game has killed my way of playing games, whoever reads this far should heed my warning, stay away from it, if you are as unlucky as I am it might also turn out to be not doable for you. Getting this game as a completionist is playing russian roulette with your accounts purpose, nothing else to say on the matter.

This is why I never and will never try to maintain a 100 percent profile.

95 percent is what I'm happy with. Maybe 97 percent if I'm lucky, but anything above that is work and I'm basically doing a chore.

You didn't trophy hunt for THREE MONTHS, yet you came back telling me you were going to do Outlast 2 only to provide the same walls of text of 'throwing in the towel' just like you did with Monster Hunter World and Super Meat Boy before that. So.... where do you go from here?

Some of the stuff I haven't done is hard and may push me to test my skills. But I'm not in any hurry to get them done. I'm taking a break at around the 10,000 trophy mark which could last a few weeks, maybe well over a month or more. By that point I reached a milestone and I'm not trying to do a second job. I already work a job and I'm going to college to finally earn a degree that's worth a damn. I don't need to add more work than what I already have.

37 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

Well that completion rate I had going is about to do a nosedive it probably won't get back up from. We were in the same boat, but then I lost the will to suffer any more and decided that throwing myself into the water to drown is preferable to slowly dying of thirst, because there was no hope of ever finding an island for me in the first place. I hope you have more luck with this game than I had, for unnatural luck is all that is needed. If you absolutely can't stomach finishing it, just hide the turd, your profile is 4 times as large as mine, you have been doing this for 10 years, if that thing is at one point the last step between you and getting back to 100%, just hide it.

Don't hide it, just accept you can't do it and move on.

42 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I hereby proclaim my surrender to this bullshit game....

Hahahah man I love reading your posts, it's your choice after all but at this point I think you've crossed the point of no return, you have to plat this piece of shit and show it who's the man ? Maybe take a break and return afterwards, but don't give up is what I would say ✊  Think of @ChristIllusion12's Max Payne 3 odyssey and let it inspire you ?

Edited by panikooooos
  • Like 2

On 24.9.2019 at 3:27 AM, panikooooos said:

Hahahah man I love reading your posts, it's your choice after all but at this point I think you've crossed the point of no return, you have to plat this piece of shit and show it who's the man 1f606.png Maybe take a break and return afterwards, but don't give up is what I would say 270a.png  Think of @ChristIllusion12's Max Payne 3 odyssey and let it inspire you 1f601.png

Glad it entertains people, it surely gets the pent up frustration out of my system so I can move on without wanting to throw my controller towards my console, and maybe it even helps some people suffering through Outlast 2 platinum attempts and seeing that other people are getting a lot of shit from the game too. I really get what you mean, in terms of sheer annoyance I would have dropped the game a while ago even if it meant giving up on 100% for good, was pretty much ready for it, but that exact thought process you mentioned barely kept me going, like I practiced this crap so much that should just not be for naught, and it would have kept me going if my last 5 deaths weren't just shit deaths mostly outside of my control. I can keep trying if I just fuck up and therefore have a way to improve myself and do better, this is a different story though, nothing to learn from it and no way to avoid it. Taking a break will make no difference, practicing does not either, as I said I have mastered every relevant section of this game except one I never even got to in the attempts, there is no room for me to improve anymore and I could just complete a full run on Nightmare and only risk dying in chapter 2 and one encounter in chapter 5, but insane just does not work and even the thoughts you mentioned are no longer enough to make me pick up the controller for it.

The ONLY thing that would EVER make me consider picking this back up would be Red Barrels, the guys who made Outlast 2, bringing out a patch that at least makes the like 30 minutes of cutscenes in chapter 1 and 2 you have to sit through each and every time skippable to make it somewhat more bearable, but since they have long since stopped doing anything with the game, its safe to say the only realistic way for me to get this done is shareplay, or some major change of heart in the future that wants me to do 50 attempts until it maybe once succeeds, but I can't see happening either of those things right now.

Edit: As I said, good luck to anyone still trying for this, I should probably leave this thread as to not fill it with more discussions that are not really of any help for people trying to get this thing done. Anyone needing help with a specific area can ask of course, I have developed a few strategies I have not seen in the recent guides and they served me quite well, even if it wasn't enough to get the plat.

People who still want to talk with me about stuff not directly related to Outlast 2 are of course invited to send me a pm, or I can open up my own thread for my trophy progress, should have a lot more to write about now that I am about to burn through my games quicker.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

-snip-

I talked to you a few months ago regarding some game suggestions but you stated you didn’t want to add more than what you already have. 

You shouldn’t be committed to a 100 percent profile. I wouldn’t force myself to maintain one because I just don’t find that enjoyable. For those who do and have been successful at it, awesome. You guys are better than most. 

Your story of Outlast 2 reminds me a lot of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Has in game cutscenes you cannot skip, and has a trophy for not dying in an entire playthrough on the hardest difficulty. 

If you want I can give you suggestions of games I’ve done that are fair and fun. A couple indies like Velocity 2X and Furi that are difficult at times, but a lot more fair. Nothing insane like Super Meat Boy or heavily RNG based like Outlast 2. 

On 25/09/2019 at 2:35 AM, Spaz said:

I talked to you a few months ago regarding some game suggestions but you stated you didn’t want to add more than what you already have. 

You shouldn’t be committed to a 100 percent profile. I wouldn’t force myself to maintain one because I just don’t find that enjoyable. For those who do and have been successful at it, awesome. You guys are better than most. 

Your story of Outlast 2 reminds me a lot of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Has in game cutscenes you cannot skip, and has a trophy for not dying in an entire playthrough on the hardest difficulty. 

If you want I can give you suggestions of games I’ve done that are fair and fun. A couple indies like Velocity 2X and Furi that are difficult at times, but a lot more fair. Nothing insane like Super Meat Boy or heavily RNG based like Outlast 2. 

Theres some light RNG, but Nothing heavy.  

To be honest All you need to complete this game, is a good memory, and cold blood. Also in my experience I found this game to be more tedious than difficult.

I have found that if you go too quickly in some instances, it is prone to glitching. Had two runs end. One when arriving in the blood rain area, where I interacted with a ledge, but my character for some reason dashed forward as if sprinting and I simply fell off. One was in the mines where I crawled beneath a space and I fell through the ground putting me back to the main menu. The game is fair, though. I found is a very exciting thing to platinum. Even more so than Outlast 1. Not too difficult either. There is nothing unfair about Outlast 2, except for when the game glitches on you, that sucks. I wish it was more RNG so you'd actually have to improvise, rather than just walk scripted paths most of the time. 

Edited by STARLOVE

28 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

I have found that if you go too quickly in some instances, it is prone to glitching. Had two runs end. One when arriving in the blood rain area, where I interacted with a ledge, but my character for some reason dashed forward as if sprinting and I simply fell off. One was in the mines where I crawled beneath a space and I fell through the ground putting me back to the main menu. The game is fair, though. I found is a very exciting thing to platinum. Even more so than Outlast 1. Not too difficult either. There is nothing unfair about Outlast 2, except for when the game glitches on you, that sucks. I wish it was more RNG so you'd actually have to improvise, rather than just walk scripted paths most of the time. 

I feel that the "arrow on a ledge" encounter is random. I've done it so many times, and even while doing the exact same thing (with Nick and Laird in the same position, jumping out the window at the exact same time as they break down the door, and following the same route to the ledge) I sometimes die, and sometimes don't. Also, the rope section. Sometimes an enemy spawns right on your path, when he other times don't. This section in particular feels 50/50. Whenever I reach this area, it feels like rolling a dice if I'll get through it or not. If the enemy is in my path, he hits me, and I can't escape.

I agree though, that besides those two areas, it's pretty much your own fault if you die, except for glitches like getting stuck etc.

• 8 months later...

Jusf completed my Insane run...I have to say, one of the most difficult but satisfying things I’ve done in a game.

Had a few cheap deaths in the first chapter with Marta, got killed by Nick and Laird at the part where you have to hide behind a tree, died at the “Murder before suicide” school chapter and then finally I did it.

honestly can’t recommend the game enough, super enjoyable game and plat as well

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just completed insane today. I was having a lot of trouble seeing until I played through my vr headset. Even in a brightly lit room I was able to see more with a headset on than I could playing in a pitch black room. So for anyone struggling who has a headset give that a try.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a tough plat.

I died twice in the final sequence at the end when you run through the final  tunnel to freedom.

Both times because I got stuck on a wall and killed (ran out of batteries for the camera and couldn't see!).

It was relief to finally get it done. This was one of the toughest plats I've done, up there with Silent Hill 2.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As someone who already got the platinum over 2 years ago. FUCK THIS PLATINUM.

Got it on my 11th attempt. All my deaths were due to bullshit reasons. 5 of those were auto-aimed arrows. Others were just my character deciding he is not gonna crawl to a vent. And one in the mines with the cart puzzles where the enemies DID NOT DESPAWN. 

The only reason I did it was because I loved the first one where it challenging and fun. And it just made me furious because how close I was each time. Not to mention me doing a nightmare run where I didn't die once. 

I cannot look at this platinum or game without getting my stomach turned and getting flashbacks of me going through this shit. Resulting me hating the entire franchise. If there's another game in the series I will not be getting it. As the name Outlast itself resurface my hatred for II. 

To anyone thinking of getting the game. Here's my advise: DON'T. 

Just get the first one and pretend there isn't an Outlast II. It's story and gameplay design isn't as good as the first one nor even half as good. 

In the end, to Outlast II: FUCK YOU !!!! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Believe it or not, I managed to pull this one off on my FIRST ATTEMPT. No joke. Did a 100% collectable run couple weeks ago and then one practice run two days ago, both on Nightmare. Tried an Insane run today and succeeded. I still can't believe it. I must say, luck was definitely on my side with this one.

Almost died in the Nick&Laird forest encounter (after coming out of the closet) in Chapter 2. I went inside a house but they spotted me and stormed inside. I tried to jump out of the window but awkwardly sidestepped a couple of times at the window. I was sure the run was over, but for some reason they didn't manage to kill me. Sh*t my pants but kept going.

Other close call was in the first Heretic encounter inside the mines in Chapter 5. After I lured the Heretic to come after me, I closed a door on my face. Again had a heart attack but managed to open the door and close it before the Heretic got to slash my head off. Then after the final Val chase, I got stuck on some rocks or something in the water, and the Heretics started chasing me way too early. Now I've heard sometimes the Heretics don't chase you here, but this time they did for sure. Started to panic but managed to escape without running out of breath. Another miracle.

I put this game on hiatus for a year. Watched a couple of guides for the Messiah run during it and studied the difficult sections. I definitely recommend observing some guides (especially this one) before attempting this. Final time was about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Still didn't get the platinum though since I need the bandage trophy.

Now I'll go and pray like Jessica and Blake in the ending, thanks.

Edited by tanelitanu

been wanting to start this. Just i remember playing it on pc back when it launched and it was hardcore. kept getting gutted by some crazy ass bitch with a big pair of scissors. i hear the version of outlast 2 that is a part of trinity was patched and made easier but the version they gave away with psplus didn't receive it, that correct? i'll probably do it soon, I miss it and want it on my list for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I abandoned this platinum not for the game being a buggy mess (the last death i had before thinking of forgetting it was in the raft section when you have to spam Square. ...The square button just didnt appear so the guy on the forest killed me) or for not being fun.

The GOD DAMN CINEMATICS oh lord if they only put a skip cinematic button i would try this shit more than 10 times a day but Im not gonna watch that Nick talk 30 minutes straight over and over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the platinum for this when it first came out. It was really tough. But they have since released a lot of patches that make a lot of the sections way easier. For anyone that has got the platinum in the last year or so, count yourself lucky haha. They have completely removed or reduced enemies in some sections of the game. 

I downloaded it again and attempted the insane run for the first time in 2 years or so last week. It honestly wasn’t really that difficult to be honest. I kind of knew what to do in certain sections of the game from getting the platinum a few years ago. But it wasn’t that bad.

At the time of getting the platinum i’d probably give it a 9/10. Now it would probably be a 7/10.