Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

58 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

For that reason, I also think it is the best Top-5 list to start with... Otherwise I might start some of them soon and run out of options to talk about! :P  

So, "5 Games I'm scared to start" coming soon! I will definitely get to "Fewest Owners" as well, since that is what started this entire idea :)  

Looking forward to it mate!

By the way - I noticed no one put forward any "suggest a different one" - and I didn't want to rock the boat necessarily, but I did think of one I would certainly be interested in hearing you wax-lyrical on - "Top 5 Games that Surprised You"?

Not sure if it would be they weren't the genre you expected, or had a twist you didn't see coming, or were much higher (or lower) quality than you imagined going in...

... up to you, but could make for an interesting read if you fancied approaching it! 

• Like 2

On 24/08/2021 at 8:19 AM, Arcesius said:

Ok, you guys are insane. I put the poll up pretty much for fun, but was expecting to get like 5 votes... Now it's like 30 ? What is this, the Ribbon 3.0 thread? ?

In any case, "Games I'm scared to start" is winning... by a landslide ? You monsters want me to face my fears, don't you? Just to make things clear.. I won't be writing about any potential game that exists.. I won't pick stuff like Cloudberry Kingdom because

1. I have no PS3 and
  2. I have no interest in that game. 

Instead, I will restrict my choices to games I already own or have access to, and which I actually want to play (and will eventually!). 

For that reason, I also think it is the best Top-5 list to start with... Otherwise I might start some of them soon and run out of options to talk about! :P  

So, "5 Games I'm scared to start" coming soon! I will definitely get to "Fewest Owners" as well, since that is what started this entire idea :)  

Awesome idea Arc, looking forward to this quite a bit!

I voted for fewest owners as they're typically the games that have the least amount of information out there, and you seem to enjoy putting together guides/mini guides and sussing things out before sharing your experiences... you could even think of them as "games everyone else is scared to start" because of the lack of info.

I had no doubt that it would lean more toward games your scared to start, though! Lol. I'm interested to see what games would scare you ?

Edited by KindaSabbath

13 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Sooo... Ihad to unexpectedly replace my laptop (I was rocking a MS Surface that I got while doing my PhD... That poor thing actually survived for over 7 years... a MS product! Can you believe that??), so I didn't yet get to start with the first Top-5 List. But we are not in a hurry, are we? I'll get to it as soon as I'm set up again :) 

I have to admit, in PSNP terms, that MS product would be a sub 1% UR ? That longevity IS impressive

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Lol... Well, I was scared of Crypt as well before starting it 1f602.png The thing is though... If I don't manage to complete Crypt, I can accept defeat. I can live with that game being the only one I cannot complete. Not so much with other games though.  

That being said, I haven't yet reached my limit in Crypt, that much I know. I just don't have the time right not that it requires. Once my son is a bit older... We'll get back to it :) 

A great plus of Crypt of the NecroDancer's trophy list is that, even though it's an incredibly tough game, at least there's no looming server shutdown! ? I believe the only online trophy is for doing a daily challenge, but it isn't the hardest trophy at least. Crypt can be demanding, so take as long of a break as you need from it. It's always good to come back to something with a clearer mind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Well, it is now the first time where it really pisses me off that PS5 icons are not resized... 1f605.png Having finished my first proper PS5 game, I needed to resize the game icon to add it to the OP, which now means I have a distorted, squeezed image. Super tragic, I know 1f602.png

Feel free to disagree! I would love to start a discussion here. Again, I am trying to understand how the series evolved, but bear in mind that I played the games in reverse order... Bloodborne --> Dark Souls III --> Dark Souls II: SotFS --> Dark Souls --> Demon's Souls... 

Awesome job! I just noticed you played all these in the reserve order lol. I wonder how that must have been by doing these games in reverse order, though I've not played these but it must be nice to have the whole lot done now. Nice going!

• Like 2

Awesome review, and Demon’s Souls is a great choice for your first PS5 game! On the subject of the PS5, what are your thoughts on the controller and the haptic feedback? Definitely give Astro’s Playroom a go as well; it seems like just a tech demo, but it also really shows off the capabilities of the controller. ?

Anyway, it’s interesting to see your thoughts on the game from the perspective of playing the other entries first, it always gives a unique view on things when you do it in a different order, so this was a fun read! 

• Like 1

Great Demon’s souls write up!

I do think on the point “Dark Souls doesn’t do anything new, even it terms of level design” - I think it’s easier to feel that way now, looking back, but the seamless interconnection of the biomes was quite a marked difference from Demon’s Souls, and gave a more cohesive structure to the whole thing… maybe not a massive thing now, but still…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

And deleting Astro's Playroom is pretty much the first thing I did after booting up my console 1f602.png But I keep hearing good things about it, so will definitely consider installing it again and giving it a go! 

Big facepalm right there. ?

• Like 3

Had to check your profile, but I'm surprised you didn't play Demon's Souls before. It is as you say, not really a hard game, but there is something about the PS5 version that made it special. Was curious if you were going to play some as coop, that is where I had a ton of fun, especially if you do 2v2 in PVP.

BTW magic in that game is broken and screw anyone who uses it PVP!

• Like 1

Nice man - I dig your Mini Series format!

I like you including the screenshots of the games too - I had no idea what Sine Mora even was, but the pictures tell a thousand words in that case!

I also had no idea the Dirt games were considered such brutal plats - I guess it's not a surprise that I didn't (I'm not much of a racing dude, and even less so rally games) but I'm actually surprised I had managed to miss that they were considered so brutal, just via site knowledge - usually that kind of stuff just seeps in through gaming osmosis / absorption ?

• Like 4

Nice write up. 

But I feel the need to correct you on Sine Mora Ex there. 

The game took me 55 hours total. Which is long completion time because after I’ve done the first easy promotions in the game I dropped it until I started it back up again months later. At this point I needed to relearn all enemy spawn points and boss patterns. That took some time. There was only one thing that took me effort to pull off. Beating any stage on Insane without picking up any power ups. Which has some RNG into it. That took me around 8-10 hours. 

Edit:

I’m sorry. I’ve read your post wrong. 40 hours sounds about right, probably a bit less, for completing all the hard stuff in this game for me.

Also, I am one to say my reflexes are not the same as 10-20 years ago. Because they aren’t. And it’s easy to see for me when I play MP online. Luckily you don’t need any reflexes at all in this game. There is almost no RNG. Everything is just memorisation. I dread the day my memory starts to deteriorate. ?

Awesome game!

Edited by Baker
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

What is Dirt Rally 2.0? First of all, while a racing game, it differs significantly from the other two racing games I have played. Both Trackmania Turbo and WipEout fall into the fictive Arcade Racing subgroup. Dirt Rally is a Racing Simulator, and as such requires an completely different understanding of its mechanics.

Awesome read man! On the note of Dirt Rally 2.0, if you're hesitant on starting it at this moment, I would recommend trying out Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3. Since Gran Turismo games are comparable to that of "simcade" games, a mixture of both arcade and simulator racing experiences, I think it could be a good bridge that'll ease you into simulator-esque games. It's also the only GT without any pesky online trophies, they're all single-player.
The only issue is, I'm not sure you have a PS3! ?

So instead, I'd suggest trying out F1 2021, the latest Formula One racing game; it could perhaps also serve as a good door into more realistic racing games. Do note that it does have a few online trophies, but they're nothing hard, and since the game is brand new, online shutdowns aren't anything to worry about for a long time.
I'll actually tag @Destructor-8 to ask something; would you consider the F1 games to be simcades or simulators? ?

Also on a completely unrelated note, CTR: Nitro-Fueled is another fantastic fictive arcade racer if you're looking for more of those!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Awesome read man! On the note of Dirt Rally 2.0, if you're hesitant on starting it at this moment, I would recommend trying out Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3. Since Gran Turismo games are comparable to that of "simcade" games, a mixture of both arcade and simulator racing experiences, I think it could be a good bridge that'll ease you into simulator-esque games. It's also the only GT without any pesky online trophies, they're all single-player.
The only issue is, I'm not sure you have a PS3! 1f605.png

So instead, I'd suggest trying out F1 2021, the latest Formula One racing game; it could perhaps also serve as a good door into more realistic racing games. Do note that it does have a few online trophies, but they're nothing hard, and since the game is brand new, online shutdowns aren't anything to worry about for a long time.
I'll actually tag @Destructor-8 to ask something; would you consider the F1 games to be simcades or simulators? 1f914.png

Also on a completely unrelated note, CTR: Nitro-Fueled is another fantastic fictive arcade racer if you're looking for more of those!

I don't think @Arcesius has one however I can think of a few recent racing games that could be a decent recommendation depending on what someone is looking for. I've only played the latest F1 games & there was definitely improvement between each one which was nice. The F1 games are meant to be sims but it's really dependant on what assists you have on, which is similar to GT Sport although without assists I find the F1 games take longer than GT Sport to get used to. The more realistic sims are Dirt Rally & Assetto since both are for people who are looking to play games like those. The difference is that Dirt Rally is really fun after awhile & is well made but Assetto is the most realistic one to play. I think most people would find it very hard to play & it's the one that took me longest to get used to. I think @Arcesius has CTR now so I'm sure that one will eventually be played. I had so much fun on CTR going for those times, especially as it's one one my favourite all time games.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

Quite the exquisite write-up as usual, Arc! I am definitely digging this new format too.

I just dropped in to say your worst fears will probably be realized with SMBF... The precision required for those Dark Worlds is just CRAZY at times!! Your timing has to be absolutely crucial. One good example is if you punch an enemy and try to dash again immediately, you won't dash! You have to wait until the moment the punch animation is through before it will work again. Should you accidentally hit the button prematurely, you will not be able to dash again until you touch the ground or punch another enemy. This led to many, many deaths for me until I got the timing down better!

One big difference for me between this and the original is that I feel like the learning curve is sharper on SMBF. It feels like it took me a lot longer to get a grasp on everything, but it may just be that they throw many different crazy mechanics at you as you progress! Most of my time initially, and something I found pretty fun, was just figuring out how to navigate through the levels.

Another fun difference with the new one are the Warp Zones... Each one is its own minigame and they are all reminiscent of glorious games of the past, circa NES/SNES!! They have a ton of fun nods to these old games, which I always find charming. They aren't exactly pushovers either tho... Case in point: the F-Zero inspired minigame where you have to complete the race backwards under the par time of 55.5 seconds!! That one was a BEAST of a challenge to me! 

Another key difference with this one is the characters. Whereas in SMB, you had some peeps that could double jump, or ones that were smaller with smaller hitboxes, making certain sections easier. Well all that goes out the window here! There are 15 or so characters to choose from, however as best as I can tell it's all just cosmetic. They all play exactly the same and there are no inherent differences to speak of that I've noticed. 

With all that being said tho, I'm looking at things like this: you and I both had the wherewithal to stick out SMB, so I feel like this game won't be much different. Those Dark Worlds are going to be all about practice and perseverance!! I really want to make this plat 200, so I'm giving it my absolute all ? Good luck if you do decide to tackle this beast!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Right, cause you play children games only 1f606.png But to be honest, @Baker said it best in his own thread... He plays the games he enjoys, and it just happens that he enjoys largely genres that are relatively chill (despite him having completed insane games as well, of course). I try to do the same, but while there is an overlap in the games we enjoy, my preferences are quite different. 

I didn't really discover challenging games until I had a PS4... I played a lot of JRPGs, Hack and Slash (Onimusha, DmC, God of War, etc...) when I was younger, never got into multiplayer or online-focused games, I enjoyed party games on the Game Cube or the Wii... But I never played games for their challenge. 

It was only when I got a PS4 that I made my first ever online account... and having a financially more stable situation (not being a student anymore), I could just buy games digitally... That opened a lot of doors I didn't know were even there! Additionally, joining PSNP was also a very deciding factor. I didn't know much about the indie market. I just bought games that, you know... were somewhat famous and had high ratings. Coming here allowed me to get inspiration from other people, and hear first-hand about amazing "hidden gems", or games that just are not THAT popular. 

I don't play "hard games" because they are hard. Similar to Baker, I play games that I genuinely hope I will enjoy. But in my case, it just turns out that those games are often - obviously not always - somewhat challenging. Still, I won't get out of my way to play a game only because it is hard, or it has low rarity trophies, etc... 

Exactly the reasons why, in my opinion, you also have such an impressive profile. Not so much because of all of the tough (which there are many?) completions... but because of your general, genuine passion and enthusiasm for these games! Your posts, your write-ups, the guides etc. You're very passionate about what you play and I respect the fuck out of that.

That's why I love these checklists. We're on a trophy forum. We love trophies. But in these checklists, I really feel the focus is on the games, trophies are a bonus.

I gravitate toward niche and hard as fuck games because that's what I enjoy the most. I'll only play what I'm interested in but if there's a game that I'm interested in, that just so happens to have a good level of challenge = my perfect kind of game. I really enjoy games that push you to master them. A trophy lists that pushes you in that direction is just the icing on the cake, for me. 

So I wholeheartedly agree - this place has put so many games on my radar that I was completely unaware of. So much so,  that if I keep adding to my backlog, I think I'm going to get a telling off from Mrs Sabbath ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

You know, hearing that the controls are precise is actually pretty reassuring. From watching some gameplay (for example your videos), the "pauses" whenever you hit an enemy seem to break the flow of the game a bit, though maybe it is less noticeable when you are the one playing. 

Not only that, but the level design seems... confusing, to say the least. There are a lot of sections where I'm thinking "how the hell does he know where he has to go....". I guess after solving the section once it's clear, but it doesn't always feel intuitive to me. I hope I'm wrong though :)  

Oh yes, right... Those pauses are actually really helpful because they give you a split second to assess the situation!! Everything is moving so fast that it's really helpful once you get the timing down. 

As for the levels looking confusing, you're exactly right. It just takes practice and repetition to learn them well! A good example is I just started one of the harder levels yesterday, OxDEADBEEF... They are these crazy "glitched" levels and out of the roughly 4 hours I played yesterday, I could only get a no death run once on 5 out of 6. So I feel like that is going to be the general flow for the remaining no death runs!

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

For sure... I just feel like it will be a completely different beast. I know you also didn't think that SMB lived up to its reputation. In this case, I think SMBF is being underestimated. But hey, I will see for myself soon enough :)

Good luck to you as well! You are making incredible progress, looking forward to more videos! :D 

This statement is incredibly true, as you can count me among those who severely underestimated this game ? But it really is a blast so I don't mind the punishment! Honestly man, I dunno if you or your fellow hosts would agree, but this one could certainly be considered as a most wanted bounty for the UR Cleanup ?

I appreciate the kind words Arc, and hopefully I'll have 1 more checked off before the weekend here! Cheers mate and I hope you've been enjoying Rad! Just let me know if there's anything the guide doesn't cover, honestly it could prob use a few updates but i just don't have the time ?

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 2