Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?

Undead Wolf

Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• It's outdated and should be changed (be sure to post if you have a better idea than mine)
    • It's perfect the way it is now

1 minute ago, midgetstrawdog said:

That being said, I think awarding negative points to a common plat is just silly and seems anti-top of the leaderboards for no real reason. If I have 10 hard plats and 50 ratalaika games, I shouldn't be below someone with 5 hard plats. Just award either nothing or minimal points 

Exactly. I was going to post this earlier, but a dichotomy was presented between having 10 hard plats, and having 100 EZPZ plats. But what if you have 10 hard plats AND 100 EZPZ plats? Surely that has value over both the priors?

Looking at your personal list, there's a lot of UR content there. I can't understand why having easy plats somehow diminishes that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

I read just fine, you just want to double down.

Yes, what you want is penalizing because the rankings have always operated on trophy quantity and type but this apparently doesn't sit well with you so you want to change the nature of the rankings and tell people whom have played games you feel aren't "worthy" enough that they're going down a spot. That's sounds like a penalty to me

You also claim this is snowflake behavior yet fail to see the irony that you're the one demanding that "certain" trophies garner  more recognition because it really doesn't make you happy that someone with less rare trophies is possibly sitting in a higher spot in the rankings. Kinda sounds like a snowflake to me

And yes you're essentially telling people what to play in order to participate. The demand isn't outright spoken but the attitude is there because you want "common" trophies to become less valuable in order to make room for the ones you feel are more "special". Once again, kinda sounds like a snowflake to me.

I'm not demanding to be treated the same, I simply want the system in place is it is but I certainly don't agree with people wanting to push someone down because their trophy list rubs them the wrong way

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, majob said:

Yes, what you want is penalizing because the rankings have always operated on trophy quantity and type but this apparently doesn't sit well with you so you want to change the nature of the rankings and tell people whom have played games you feel aren't "worthy" enough that they're going down a spot. That's sounds like a penalty to me

You also claim this is snowflake behavior yet fail to see the irony that you're the one demanding that "certain" trophies garner  more recognition because it really doesn't make you happy that someone with less rare trophies is possibly sitting in a higher spot in the rankings. Kinda sounds like a snowflake to me

And yes you're essentially telling people what to play in order to participate. The demand isn't outright spoken but the attitude is there because you want "common" trophies to become less valuable in order to make room for the ones you feel are more "special". Once again, kinda sounds like a snowflake to me.

I'm not demanding to be treated the same, I simply want the system in place is it is but I certainly don't agree with people wanting to push someone down because their trophy list rubs them the wrong way

It seems you want to even triple down on your inane chatter.

Edited by fastflowdaman
  • Like 1

I dont think its the trophy system thats the problem, its the developers or Sony or whoever decides what the trophy lists will be. I dont think they really care about keeping their game Platinum percentages low because what percentage of people who own a PS are going for Platinum anyway? The trophy system is just sort of an extra incentive to keep playing the game but a lot of players just want to finish it and be done with it. I mean COD games are always Ultra Rare Platinums and I wouldn't even say they are hard to complete but millions of people dont care about completing it, so I dont really see how its fair to punish the higher percentage ones just because more people enjoy the game. 

I think its all about balancing the trophy lists correctly so you have fun but you have to work to get the Platinum.

10 minutes ago, majob said:

God forbid someone make a mistake and "inane"? So no argument huh? Good to know

Your “arguments“ are worthless and we're going in circles.

You're basically regressing to “I'm like rubber, you're like glue“.

No need to “discuss“ anything further.

9 hours ago, midgetstrawdog said:

Wasn't it already explained to you that money isn't that big of a factor? It definitely helps but it isn't like someone without a small fortune can make it. You seem to be a very close minded person so I'm probably wasting my time but perhaps you could consider it IDK. 

OT: For me, the ezpz games are a means to an end, with that end being trophy leaderboards. If the leaderboards were to change to favour rare games then that is what I would play more of. I don't really want to be stacking every Ratalaika game 6x, but I do want a high leaderboard position so that is what I play. 

That being said, I think awarding negative points to a common plat is just silly and seems anti-top of the leaderboards for no real reason. If I have 10 hard plats and 50 ratalaika games, I shouldn't be below someone with 5 hard plats. Just award either nothing or minimal points 

Money does factor into this. But if you just casually play on occasion then that doesn't matter much.

This is my opinion. You can agree with it, disagreed with it, refute it, whatever.

The whole leaderboard position is getting people up in arms. I'm on one side of this, you're on the other. I'm still of the opinion that rankings is a factor of time and money. I'm good with playing a few easy games here and there, in fact I plan to buy one pretty soon.

I would probably have 15,000 trophies and easily well over 10,000 if I just did easy games as a means to an end. To me I just look at it as completely pointless. I would rather play something like Marvel's Spider-Man or something of a challenge like Furi, and feel that I'm well rewarded and accomplished when I finally earn that platinum. But I never said you should be below someone with just five hard platinums. I've argued about this to so many people on these forums and they still find a way to bitch at me because I'm somehow wasting their precious time.

8 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

I dont think its the trophy system thats the problem, its the developers or Sony or whoever decides what the trophy lists will be. I dont think they really care about keeping their game Platinum percentages low because what percentage of people who own a PS are going for Platinum anyway? The trophy system is just sort of an extra incentive to keep playing the game but a lot of players just want to finish it and be done with it. I mean COD games are always Ultra Rare Platinums and I wouldn't even say they are hard to complete but millions of people dont care about completing it, so I dont really see how its fair to punish the higher percentage ones just because more people enjoy the game. 

I think its all about balancing the trophy lists correctly so you have fun but you have to work to get the Platinum.

Well yeah, trophy hunters have always been a minority.

I play games outside of PlayStation that I give no care or concern towards their achievement list.

Working towards a platinum shouldn't be forced. I try my very best to get the most enjoyment as I can out of game as I'm going for the platinum.

8 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Your “arguments“ are worthless and we're going in circles.

You're basically regressing to “I'm like rubber, you're like glue“.

No need to “discuss“ anything further.

So you're giving up on the conversation. Good.

26 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Money does factor into this. But if you just casually play on occasion then that doesn't matter much.

This is my opinion. You can agree with it, disagreed with it, refute it, whatever.

The whole leaderboard position is getting people up in arms. I'm on one side of this, you're on the other. I'm still of the opinion that rankings is a factor of time and money. I'm good with playing a few easy games here and there, in fact I plan to buy one pretty soon.

I would probably have 15,000 trophies and easily well over 10,000 if I just did easy games as a means to an end. To me I just look at it as completely pointless. I would rather play something like Marvel's Spider-Man or something of a challenge like Furi, and feel that I'm well rewarded and accomplished when I finally earn that platinum. But I never said you should be below someone with just five hard platinums. I've argued about this to so many people on these forums and they still find a way to bitch at me because I'm somehow wasting their precious time.

I fear you are putting words in my mouth here. I was simply saying money is not really one of the two defining factors. It definitely is a factor, but high leaderboard positions can be acquired with very little if you join the right communities and such. 

I am definitely not any "side" here. Unless by side you mean I care about the leaderboard. Everything is both pointless and valuable at the same time, saying there is a "side" here would be quite childish. If anything I agree with your thread, but I think the main problem with the thread was that the stuff was kind of obvious. Anyone that had invested a decent amount of time trophy hunting realised that the leaderboard is based almost solely on the quantity of ezpz games someone plays. There wasn't really a need to tell people this, or the more degrading term of "pointless". 

The bottom bit wasn't for you, that is probably my fault, formatting and such is not my strong suite. There are 2-3 posts from others saying every trophy above 50% should be given negative points on a leaderboard and I think that is very unnecessary. If you want to have a rarity leaderboard have a rarity leaderboard. Not a rarity leaderboard minus ezpz

I hope that makes sense I feel like I rambled a lot 

All I want is to be able to remove trophies/trophy lists of games I've earned trophies in that have impossible Platinums/trophies due to online server closure. I hear everyone with the risks of mad exes etc deleting trophies, but I surely think they can devise some good security around it. Such as the 2FA, or maybe you have to contact support to delete trophies, idk.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, midgetstrawdog said:

The bottom bit wasn't for you, that is probably my fault, formatting and such is not my strong suite. There are 2-3 posts from others saying every trophy above 50% should be given negative points on a leaderboard and I think that is very unnecessary. If you want to have a rarity leaderboard have a rarity leaderboard. Not a rarity leaderboard minus ezpz

I meant sides according to this thread because we cannot seem to agree to disagree without getting into a big argument. 

There is a rarity leaderboard. I don’t think too many know about it because I haven’t found a direct link to it, at least to my knowledge. 

I knew exactly what I was getting into on that thread. It was all obvious, anybody who has been here a couple years or so knows about the leaderboards and how to get trophies in most games. It’s the triggered mindset that pissed me off, because while I love trophies like anybody else does here, I now felt that I can’t make a critical opinion about a part of trophy hunting. 

I understand the leaderboards and I understand the ranking system because I used to be fairly high rank in a MMO. You say that money isn’t a defining factor, but time definitely is. I don’t have the time nor the desire to be near the top of the trophy leaderboards here. I’m fine with where I’m at. 

PSN Trophy Leaders has a rarity leaderboard. Not surprised that I’m not very high rank because my profile mostly consists of easy to medium level games with a lot of common and uncommon trophies.

To those that are saying there is nothing wrong at all with the trophy system i would like to hear the defense or opinion regarding the bronze, silver and gold. What i mean is bronze are meant for the easier trophies and gold being for the hardest. For these EZPZ games that is obviously not the case hence trophies start to lose there meaning.  

• Like 4

Why not make a change, the leaderboards are purely a numbers game. The more games you play the higher up you will climb even if you invest less time in playing. Most games are heavily stacked with trophies at the beginning. I would say money plays a major factor, even more than time. I have basically bought my position on the boards with the number of games I buy, so has everyone else up there. If they haven’t they must have some pretty good friends because it ain’t cheap

3 hours ago, ResoluteRock said:

I think we all agree that it should have one major change:

We get paid for earning trophies :P at least then I can justify to other people why I do this

I think we do get paid for earning trophies, via Sony Rewards?

I suppose to vote it's perfect the way it is , but I vote first option, it's just me but I want all games to have a platinum, with a minimum of like 25-30 trophies...

Edited by Kaiwan

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

So you're giving up on the conversation. Good.

Sure. Sometimes you reach a point in a, uh, conversation, where continuing on a logical level wouldn't make sense.

Textbook example: children below a certain age.

Then there are people where even engaging in a conversation usually doesn't make any sense.

Textbook example: you.

I think they need to add the feature to delete trophies.

This will allow players to easily remove incomplete games they are sick off or are too difficult to complete as well allow players to test trophy requirements better.

We're allowed to delete in-game save data, records, feats etc but we are not allowed to delete our gaming records outside of the game, why, all we would be doing is reducing our trophy score basically.

I would delete a tonne of trophies if it was made possible and I would also use it to test trophy requirements easier. I think being able to delete would be a bigger plus than what it would a minus!

Edited by optimusmart

9 minutes ago, optimusmart said:

I think they need to add the feature to delete trophies.

This will allow players to easily remove incomplete games they are sick off or are too difficult to complete as well allow players to test trophy requirements better.

We're allowed to delete in-game save data, records, feats etc but we are not allowed to delete our gaming records outside of the game, why, all we would be doing is reducing our trophy score basically.

I would delete a tonne of trophies if it was made possible and I would also use it to test trophy requirements easier. I think being able to delete would be a bigger plus than what it would a minus!

Yeah and then anyone will have a 100% profile in here. Cool

I think a good thing to do by Sony is to Notify from their shitty "From playstation", "Events" and "Community" tabs about server closure. Is that hard to push a notification to all players online with a "Driveclub will close on March 2020" instead of searching and reading it by accident? that should be a little first step for the community.

As for deleting trophies I thing it's not a wise choice to let the user delete what he wants. With everyone with a 100% profile this sites loses 90% of its purpuose.

One thing they can do is letting people delete it if they got, let me say, less than 5 trophies? So basically you got a game, you play it for a couple of hours and unlock like 3 trophies and then you realise you will never get the plat. Well you can delete it as you have less than 5 trophies. I think that the time you get 4 trophies you realise if you can plat a game or not.

It would be really stupid to let full control of it. For example if you are playing DMC5 an enjoying it like crazy and finish it a lot of times getting almost all the trophies, THEN you realise you will never get an S rank on every mission in every mode and so you will never get that plat. You should be able to delete it from you profile because of this? Of course I'm talking on a strictly trophy hunter point of view here.

The only thing I really want is the trophy tracker ingame similar to the microsoft one so I can finally stop pressing the ps button going to trophies and search for how many pizza slices I still need from cl4pt3ap before a trophy :D

3 hours ago, Toma_Gabriel said:

Yeah and then anyone will have a 100% profile in here. Cool

I think a good thing to do by Sony is to Notify from their shitty "From playstation", "Events" and "Community" tabs about server closure. Is that hard to push a notification to all players online with a "Driveclub will close on March 2020" instead of searching and reading it by accident? that should be a little first step for the community.

As for deleting trophies I thing it's not a wise choice to let the user delete what he wants. With everyone with a 100% profile this sites loses 90% of its purpuose.

One thing they can do is letting people delete it if they got, let me say, less than 5 trophies? So basically you got a game, you play it for a couple of hours and unlock like 3 trophies and then you realise you will never get the plat. Well you can delete it as you have less than 5 trophies. I think that the time you get 4 trophies you realise if you can plat a game or not.

It would be really stupid to let full control of it. For example if you are playing DMC5 an enjoying it like crazy and finish it a lot of times getting almost all the trophies, THEN you realise you will never get an S rank on every mission in every mode and so you will never get that plat. You should be able to delete it from you profile because of this? Of course I'm talking on a strictly trophy hunter point of view here.

The only thing I really want is the trophy tracker ingame similar to the microsoft one so I can finally stop pressing the ps button going to trophies and search for how many pizza slices I still need from cl4pt3ap before a trophy :D

Im not really bothered about players having better scores than me or particularly interest in only grabbing trophies per se I guess

If I like a game, I will usually plat it because I like it.

If I like a game, but the plat is too difficult for me, then I will leave the plat.

No matter what happens though, I will ALWAYS have the memory and then experience of playing the game, nothing can take that away from me and that is all it boils down to at the end of the day.

Look at Nintendo, there is no system records and it works fine.

I just get annoyed, perhaps a bit OCD of me, that if I play a game, then decide I dont like it, I forever have that game as incomplete on my personal records and it bugs me.

I worked around this recently by having 2 accounts, 1 for trying games first and then my main, but I wish we could delete trophy logs. If I never play a game again or sell it etc, im basically delleting ALL my play history apart from my owns memories, but then I have a record outside of the game that I cannot touch.

The trophy tracker one is a good idea, thats 1 thing xbox have on us that I forgot, we need that defintely, maybe PS5 eh ;)

Edited by optimusmart

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

To everyone talking about how they want the option to delete trophy lists from their profile: I can't help but feel you've missed the purpose of this thread. :P It doesn't address the problems myself and others see with the current trophy system (specifically in regards to these "EZPZ" games devaluing it). Besides, there have been threads in the past dedicated to that exact topic, so we don't need a repeat of those. I'll just say this: The option to delete any trophy list you want would make trophy hunting incredibly boring. We already have people padding their trophy stats with EZPZ games, making PSN level and platinum count rather meaningless. Now you want the same done to completion? Because that's what would happen; the people who worked hard for a high completion wouldn't look anywhere near as impressive once everyone and their mother could do that just by deleting any low completion games on their profile.

Apologies, for me personally, I thought we were providing opinions on where the trophies could be done better and just provided things I would like changing, apologies for  misinterpreting the topic!

For the record (pun not intended), I dont care about how my trophies look to others and how many trophies others have, I use trophies as a record system outside of the game, that is all and I just dislike incomplete records.... all there is to it. Just weird how we can easily start a new account and have 100% records, but there is nothing we can do to remove incomplete records on older accounts. All trophies are is a record basically, trophies have meaning to me because it provides a definitive record that will always be around, just like what we have in a game, thing with game data, as soon as you turn the game off or sell it, delete it etc, that record is gone forever.

Am I in the minority that I use trophies as a record system as opposed to a competitive system???? I just don't find videogames competitive, but thats just me I guess.

Edited by optimusmart
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, optimusmart said:

Apologies, for me personally, I thought we were providing opinions on where the trophies could be done better and just provided things I would like changing, apologies for  misinterpreting the topic!

For the record (pun not intended), I dont care about how my trophies look to others and how many trophies others have, I use trophies as a record system outside of the game, that is all and I just dislike incomplete records.... all there is to it. Just weird how we can easily start a new account and have 100% records, but there is nothing we can do to remove incomplete records on older accounts. All trophies are is a record basically, trophies have meaning to me because it provides a definitive record that will always be around, just like what we have in a game, thing with game data, as soon as you turn the game off or sell it, delete it etc, that record is gone forever.

Am I in the minority that I use trophies as a record system as opposed to a competitive system???? I just don't find videogames competitive, but thats just me I guess.

If you don't care about how your trophies look to others then you can simply just hide your incomplete games.

Not weird at all, starting a new account with the intention of completing everything that comes your way is very different to you just deleting your way to a 100%

Challenging yourself to finish incomplete games is the very thing that gives meaning to having a 100% profile.

• Like 3

Trophies are like money.  You can work to obtain your paycheck, but just because you do doesn’t mean that the quarter you pick up off the sidewalk is any less valuable than one you earned by working.

I see difficult Platinums/ones for games I really enjoy as money i get from my job, and easy Platinums as a $100 bill I found on the floor.  They all wind up in my bank account in the end.

• Like 4