Fucking platformers

Zanyverse

9 hours ago, HusKy said:

You're right. You will need 26 gold (or platinum) relics for one of the trophies. If you are going for 100%, you can skip The High Road relic (or any other base game relic).

Yeah, I'm done. I'm on the 4th island now in the first one and there isn't a chance in hell of me being able to get gold on Sunset Vista. I tried Crash 2 since I read 2 & 3 were easier but there is a jump in Snow Biz that I can't make. Ridiculous. Give me Banjo Kazooie, Zapper! or Spyro The Dragon any day over this punishment. Congrats on whoever can do this. 

• Like 1

Crash 3 is the only easy one to time trial because the game was originally designed for it on PSX, though in that, the stupid biplane ring one pissed me off.

Crash 1 is the hardest closely followed by 2 and I'm talking about platinum and time trial, not beating.  You pretty much need to get the jumping mechanics down and trust the d-pad whenever necessary.  That extra step Crash takes always pissed me off.  Crash 1 is mostly harder due to the lack of the extra abilities Crash gets in Crash 2.

Time trial difficulty varies widely, some giving a more forgiving gold time while others demanding near perfection.  Some may take hours to do and some can easily be done in one attempt.  Sometimes there is RNG at play.

But I did find 1 + 2 to be a bitch to plat but there is a certain sense of accomplishment I found in actually doing it.

• Like 3

On 20.4.2019 at 7:22 PM, Death said:

Oh that better not happen to me! I'd drop this shit in a heartbeat. I got a shitload of sapphire relics maybe a few gold and 1 platinum. I have a bad feeling the sapphire isn't good enough. 

If those level are driving you crazy I recommend you to  drop the game. Most early levels are piss easy compared to the "special" ones ( there 4-5 extremely hard/frustarting ones).

That said the game is good but the platinum is a nightmare. I suck at plattformers and I did it but I suffered.?

Edited by GoDBoss173

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/4/2019 at 4:50 AM, Death said:

Yeah, I'm done. I'm on the 4th island now in the first one and there isn't a chance in hell of me being able to get gold on Sunset Vista. I tried Crash 2 since I read 2 & 3 were easier but there is a jump in Snow Biz that I can't make. Ridiculous. Give me Banjo Kazooie, Zapper! or Spyro The Dragon any day over this punishment. Congrats on whoever can do this. 

Sunset Vista is ridiculously long. The fun fact is I got the platinum relic the first time I managed to get to the end (after ~20 tries). I was like - "wha, platinum? No way, I even hesitated on a couple spots".

So if you want a tip, don't rush too much here: as opposite to a few levels in the game, I believe you don't have to be perfect to get at least a gold relic. Just be careful of those timed blocks and stands and preserve the Aku Aku masks for later in the level.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2019 at 6:27 PM, RachelCharlotte said:

It took me almost two years, but I am finally done with all the relics except for The High Road but no one will ever know. Never thought I'd be able to do it, but my stubborness finally paid off 1f60a.png

20 bucks if you do it for me. xD

2 hours ago, LLegend_Fox said:

20 bucks if you do it for me. xD

If I can do it, then everybody can :D  I think it's more about not giving up than anything else. Is there any level in particular that you find difficult? I've completed the second game in the meantime as well and though I got the trophy in a significantly shorter time I wouldn't say it's really that much easier - some of those levels gave me a lot of trouble as well.

• Like 1

I did them in order, ended up skipping the High Road Relic in crash 1 and did the DLC level relic instead, it counts for the plat altho that bonus level is also hard as nails.

I must have spent 3 hours on the High Road alone before giving up. The first game is not easy! 2 and 3 are easier but not a walk in the park either.

Good luck!

22 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

I did them in order, ended up skipping the High Road Relic in crash 1 and did the DLC level relic instead, it counts for the plat altho that bonus level is also hard as nails.

I must have spent 3 hours on the High Road alone before giving up. The first game is not easy! 2 and 3 are easier but not a walk in the park either.

Good luck!

if high road is the turtle bounce one.... run on the ropes. practice that and the level is easily cheesed

On 4/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, LLegend_Fox said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with the "Buttery Bandicoot" that is Crash? I constantly find myself touching the platform, landing on it and then just sliding off. It's getting really frustrating and i already broke a keyboard while playing Peasant Knight.

To be perfectly honest, the game has some minor issues with the platforms. However, it's still all very doable and you just gotta compensate for it. Imagine if you had to play this game like it was originally released, though you'd not have to do the speedrun stuff. The platforms might be a bit more slippery, but trust me, the game is a LOT easier overall. Original even had issues with the camera and how easily you could just off the side in side scrolling sections. IMO, it might be the best Crash game, but it's also the hardest of the three by quite a bit. Crash 3 is the easiest by far, and I personally did all, but one gold relic, before the last boss. xD Can't do all, as once you complete the last level, you gotta do the boss next, and you gotta beat the level before you can do the speedrun. This does however mean that I did all of the speedruns without the running shoes. I purposefully left the last gold relic be for a bike level, one where your running shoes doesn't matter at all. That's how easy it is. There was only a couple of levels I struggled a bit with in that game. One was definitely one of the harder tomb levels. Gotta slide and jump over and over to compensate for the lack of running shoes though.

On 07/06/2019 at 9:53 AM, RachelCharlotte said:

If I can do it, then everybody can :D  I think it's more about not giving up than anything else. Is there any level in particular that you find difficult? I've completed the second game in the meantime as well and though I got the trophy in a significantly shorter time I wouldn't say it's really that much easier - some of those levels gave me a lot of trouble as well.

I got like 8 levels in. Lmao. Even the ones before that i struggled with. 

On 07/06/2019 at 10:18 AM, Gibbo_0113 said:

Fucking platformers? is this a new genre?

*funny*

Edited by LLegend_Fox

Because you're bashing your head against this game for a few months, I suggest you abandon it forever, until you're not some sort of completionist at all costs.

I didn't find none of the trilogy time trails fun and I did the biggest cleanup possible before getting too frustrated. I even tried to return to easy-peasy Warped after few months to 100% it only to be put off again for the reason you mentioned, among other things. I had much more fun with harder platformers with much more rewarding trophies, and Crash plats felt completely unrewarding in comparison.

All in all, you play only for yourself. Go for a platinum/100% only if you find it enjoyable and/or rewarding enough to justify the effort. CB was a very good trilogy, but only to beat and doing a small clean-up in levels I liked, nothing more.

• Like 1

As someone that has finished all 3 (except crash 1 DLC - I will get you someday) I can agree mostly with what everyone else has said. I grew up on crash and absolutely loved them as a kid. If I was to ever only own 3 plats it would be a toss up between Crash and Spyro.

Crash is absolutely frustraiting. Like break your controller or T.V. maddening - High Road is one of the easier levels if your going for gold/plat relics. From Crash 1, I found Sunset Vista, The  Great Gate and Fumbling in the Dark to be particularly frustraiting. I found Crash 2 to be the more taxing as I played it the least growing up, Ruination and the sewer levels game me some grief... I believe I did Ruination absolutely smashed because I turned it into a drinking game.

Best advice I can give is to watch some videos of Plat relic times - they are faster than gold and if you follow them and make a mistake it doesn't matter too much as long as the mistake isn't huge. Also - It's only gotta work once. Take a break for a week too if you need.

Keep going with it, it's not about being great at platformers, it's about practice.

6 hours ago, LLegend_Fox said:

I got like 8 levels in. Lmao. Even the ones before that i struggled with.

When the game first came out, I only played enough of the time trials to get the silver trophy. It wasn't until almost two years later that I got to the remaining 16 relics, so you're probably a lot faster than I was :D

5 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Because you're bashing your head against this game for a few months, I suggest you abandon it forever, until you're not some sort of completionist at all costs.

I had a similar thought when I gave up on the first two games' platinum trophy as I didn't want to remember them bitterly. But I think there's nothing wrong with giving it another go after some time.

4 hours ago, Gumby114 said:

Crash is absolutely frustraiting. Like break your controller or T.V. maddening - High Road is one of the easier levels if your going for gold/plat relics. From Crash 1, I found Sunset Vista, The  Great Gate and Fumbling in the Dark to be particularly frustraiting.

Keep going with it, it's not about being great at platformers, it's about practice.

Oh yes, Sunset Vista and Fumbling in the dark took me ages (figuratively). I wouldn't have thought that I could spend this much time on these two, but together with Stormy Ascent they probably took the most time - the rest of them felt like a breeze in comparison, except for The Lab with its extremely low gold time.

The second part of the quote is exactly what I think and what I tried to say before. 'Practice makes perfect' really applies here.

• Like 1

Platformers are second nature to me because I literally grew up on Mario and Sonic, even going as far as watching the cartoon shows and engaging in fan fiction. 

I was one of the last kids to have experienced the NES, SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis eras. Back then the market was chock full of platformers. Some pretty good, many that were bad and mediocre. 

The PS1/N64 eras had their share of 3-D platformers but once the PS2 generation came around the platform genre was on its way out. By the PS3 era platformers were considered old and stale, while in place we had Uncharted and Assassins Creed. Certainly nothing all that platform like. 

I don’t see too many guys in their early - mid 20s to have played a lot of platformers because by the time they got into video games platformers were basically dying out. There is good stuff like the Super Mario Galaxy games and others that do platforming quite well. It was just that platformers were no longer at the forefront in gaming.

More recent stuff like Rayman Legends has good platforming and I’m happy it still gets a little attention.

I’m glad to see the reboot Crash Bandicoot getting as much attention as it did because it has some rather tight platforming. I haven’t found anything with tight platforming that was in the spotlight for a long time. The indie market has plenty of good platformers but they specifically cater to a niche audience. I don’t expect too many people to care about them. 

The Crash games present a good challenge especially if you’re going after the Platinum Relics. I almost wish they were required for the platinum trophies because I would bet everything a lot more people would of whined and bitched about not being able to get those relics due to lack of skill and commitment.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Stormy Ascent gold relic is pissing me off. I spent 6 hours. I can go throught the first half perfectly but those 3 platforms always get me killed. And If I do go through them, I always die at the beginning of the final part with the scientist throwing his thing in front of 3 platforms.

Edited by HiryuMK
  • Like 2