Persona 5 The Royal releasing on October 31st 2019 in Japan - New trailer

Venocide

I'll wait with this one. If something I learned with P5 vanilla is that the game will get a discount almost immediately. I don't care about pre-order trash or DLCs. But I'm pretty excited for the new content. I'll have to schedule things to play this game the next year. Oh I miss my free time so much...

1 hour ago, YROSHIKU said:

@SnowxSakura, @Venocide, @DEI2EK, @starcrunch061 Yeah I guess that's true, welp I hope that at least they're gonna give us an option to purchase it as an expansion for the base game, but then again when I think about it's a bummer and man it really discourages from buying the games on their initial release. I kinda feel like a fool now for getting it day one.

Of course it is not free, the assumption alone is ridiculous. Nobody is working for free. Even weapon/armor skins cost 5 dollar nowadays (what a joke by the way).

It seems we are getting tons of new content ( "the third semester") , so they will probably fill the dec-march gap.  So 30-35 hours arent unrealistic and 20-25 dollar would be well deserved.

I agree with you, we need the possibility to update the base version but unfortunately I dont think that will happen.

That said I wont pay a second time for the base game even though I loved the game. I will play the waiting game and buy it if its under 35 dollar/euro.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Of course it is not free, the assumption alone is ridiculous. Nobody is working for free. Even weapon/armor skins cost 5 dollar nowadays (what a joke by the way).

It seems we are getting tons of new content ( "the third semester") , so they will probably fill the dec-march gap.  So 30-35 hours arent unrealistic and 20-25 dollar would be well deserved.

I agree with you, we need the possibility to update the base version but unfortunately I dont think that will happen.

That said I wont pay a second time for the base game even though I loved the game. I will play the waiting game and buy it if its under 35 dollar/euro.

And likewise I agree with you in 100%, I wouldn't mind paying that price for it, because I know that they do know how to deliver a satisfying, fun and what's the most important polished games but yeah just like you there's no way I will be getting it day one, most likely gonna wait as well and long enough to get a used copy for half of that price.

Edited by YROSHIKU
  • Like 1

It would be funny if the new character turned out to be an antagonist instead of a Phantom Thief.

15 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

@Dragon-Archon when i get the plat again, i want an award with the new girl. Now i have the chance to put P5 plat in my milestones, so don't create a timed LP again and then change your mind :spank:

PS.  I want it round like the Joker one. Symmetry damn it

On the bright side, you can now use P5R as a milestone :awesome: . And yeah, I think I'll create a new trophy with the new girl.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some new info from Famitsu. 

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/persona-5-royal-third-semester-volume-beyond-expectations-of-persona-4-golden-players

Persona 5 Royal third semester volume ‘beyond expectations of Persona 4 Golden players’

• The reason the subtitle is “Royal” is because we wanted to express our enthusiasm to make a gorgeous title.
  • We’re not simply adding new elements. We’re making it easier to earn experience points so you can play at a better tempo.
  • The play assist feature further implements everyone’s voices into the game. It considers your character parameters and confidants, then suggests a destination, which you can move to with the push of a button.
  • We’re making the volume of the newly implemented third semester to go beyond the expectations of those who have experienced the volume of Persona 4 Golden.
  • New character Kasumi increases the perspective and flavor of the story, and is someone who will expose existing characters in a new light. Naturally, she is being tweaked to blend into the story. As you play through the game, you will see a different side of her from the teaser trailer. Kasumi also has a confidant you can level up.
  • New confidant Maruki is an extremely nice adult character.
  • If we had to say “Yes” or “No” to there being new confidants other than Kasumi and Maruki, we would have to say “Yes.” Look forward to more information in the future.
  • If you have save data for Persona 5, you will get some sort of bonus. You will not be able to use the same save data for Persona 5 Royal however.
  • There are 20 new background music tracks.
  • There is a scene where the mysterious new handsome guy character sleeps in the same bed as the protagonist.
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Venocide said:
  • There is a scene where the mysterious new handsome guy character sleeps in the same bed as the protagonist.

Welp I think with that it's a dead giveaway that this guy is Mona.

20 minutes ago, Venocide said:

The play assist feature further implements everyone’s voices into the game. It considers your character parameters and confidants, then suggests a destination, which you can move to with the push of a button.

So they're gonna make the game even more casual?

1 hour ago, Venocide said:
  • We’re not simply adding new elements. We’re making it easier to earn experience points so you can play at a better tempo.

The game is already easy, i hope they add a trophy for doing everything in Merciless.

And perhaps make the Reaper immune to despair

Edited by sephiroth4424

On 24/04/2019 at 5:43 PM, SnowxSakura said:

@YROSHIKU this is atlus we're talking about, no way will it be a free update, with this being akin to FES and Golden

This is different. P3 and P4 were Playstation 2 games, which couldn't be patched or updated. P5 is a PS3/PS4 game, which can be updated.

(Now, does that mean I believe they'll offer up P5R as an update to the original P5? Not at all. Sure would like it, though...)

New info about the royal

"We recently reported that Daiki Itoh, who was previously the lead Confidant planner of Persona 5, will take the role of director for Persona 5 Royal, and he shared more details with producer Kazuhisa Wada in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]

Here are some highlights from the interview with director Daiki Itoh and producer Kazuhisa Wada:

• The “Royal” part of the title was made to show their enthusiasm in making the title.

• The developers aren’t simply adding new elements to Persona 5 Royal, but they’re also improving on the game’s tempo by making it easier to earn experience points and such.

• The Play Assist feature is a function that’ll further implemented everyone’s voices. It basically shows a destination while considering character parameters and Confidants, then lets you travel with the press of a button.

• The volume of the third semester in Persona 5 Royal is being prepared to go beyond expectations of those who played through the volume of Persona 4 Golden.

• Kasumi adds to the perspective and flavor of the story as a character who digs deeper into the characters you already know.

• Things are being adjusted so that it feels more natural to have her thrown into the story.

• As you advance through the game, you’ll begin seeing a different side of her from what was shown in the teaser trailer.

• Kasumi is also a Confidant.

• Maruki (New Confidant) is said to be an exceptionally nice adult character.

• If the developers had to answer between yes or no on whether there are more Confidants other than Kasumi and Maruki, their answer is yes. More info on that will be revealed later.

• While you won’t be able to use your Persona 5 save data for playing Persona 5 Royal, there will be some sort of bonus for having its save data

• There are about 20 new music tracks.

• There’s a mysterious new handsome male character (The one that is assumed to be the “human Morgana”) who has a scene in bed with the protagonist."

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/08/persona-5-royals-third-semester-will-be-unexpectedly-voluminous-adds-qol-improvements/#QMlXpaUlDyGuBWjp.99

Judging from the fact your save data won't be able to be carried over makes me believe it's a separate game entirely

@jrdemrAnd atlus will miss out on the chance to charge 60 dollars again? no way man. Of course they're going to charge for it, this is a lot of work they're doing, can't expect to get it for free

Edited by SnowxSakura

I don't even know why people are even thinking this would have been just DLC in the first place when Atlus already has a track record of releasing enhanced versions of their games as a separate product with Fed and Golden

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrdemr said:

This is different. P3 and P4 were Playstation 2 games, which couldn't be patched or updated. P5 is a PS3/PS4 game, which can be updated.

(Now, does that mean I believe they'll offer up P5R as an update to the original P5? Not at all. Sure would like it, though...)

54 minutes ago, majob said:

I don't even know why people are even thinking this would have been just DLC in the first place when Atlus already has a track record of releasing enhanced versions of their games as a separate product with Fed and Golden

Not even fes or golden which at the time were different platforms or incapable of dlc. However, they've done the same thing with Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3ds with Apocalypse which is also a 3ds enhanced release. The 3ds is perfectly capable of dlc, but they chose to re-release the game as it's not just a simple dlc job, but a large chunk of brand new content

I like the ideas and concepts in P5R, but I really disagree with it as a standalone title(especially if they charge full price). That practice died with the PS2 days. Even Tetsuya Nomura said Kingdom Hearts 3 Final Mix won't happen because we can update games now.

It's an out of date practice. The Royal could easily be added as an expansion for $20-30 dollars. Anyone who thinks it should be free is crazy tho.

• Like 1

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I'm perfectly fine with how Atlus releases enhanced versions of their games further down the line. I feel like it gives them more freedom to go "all-out" since it's a new game, but if it was just DLC, I imagine they would have to be more reserved to keep the cost down. For example, I don't think most people would be willing to pay $40+ just for DLC. Persona 5 Royal and Catherine: Full Body add a lot to the core experience, it's not simply just an extra dungeon or a new character. Atlus make some of my favourite games and I for one am happy to see them get made even better. These games are worth double-dipping for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not even fes or golden which at the time were different platforms or incapable of dlc. However, they've done the same thing with Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3ds with Apocalypse which is also a 3ds enhanced release. The 3ds is perfectly capable of dlc, but they chose to re-release the game as it's not just a simple dlc job, but a large chunk of brand new content

Apocalypse was a sequel to 4 though, not a rerelease

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I'm perfectly fine with how Atlus releases enhanced versions of their games further down the line. I feel like it gives them more freedom to go "all-out" since it's a new game, but if it was just DLC, I imagine they would have to be more reserved to keep the cost down. For example, I don't think most people would be willing to pay $40+ just for DLC. Persona 5 Royal and Catherine: Full Body add a lot to the core experience, it's not simply just an extra dungeon or a new character. Atlus make some of my favourite games and I for one am happy to see them get made even better. These games are worth double-dipping for.

100% Agree with you ^_^

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I personally think their re-releases are poorly executed in general.

FES added some good stuff to The Journey, but The Answer felt vastly below what I expect of ATLUS in terms of quality. I mean, not being able to import your compendium from The Journey was bad enough, but not even having one at all? (The story was... okay, I guess. It had its moments, but it was nothing to write home about. It would have worked better as an OVA.)

P3P added a lot, but it also removed a lot from the original PS2 title as a result of being a PSP game. It has a lot of technical improvements and even the inclusion of an entirely new route through the addition of the Female Main Character, but sadly, the presentation suffered a lot with the transition to the PSP, hence why I never got it.

Golden added a shit ton of stuff and there is absolutely no doubt that it is a vast technical improvement, but I also think that the PS2 original felt like a more cohesive experience overall. Marie was the main culprit here, considering how everything about her feels shoehorned into the game. Even her dungeon is a massive waste of time, seeing as how you can't even earn money nor experience there. Thankfully, you can just ignore her Social Link completely and it'll be almost like she isn't even in the game at all. But then there's also the combo finishers (Chie + Yukiko, Yousuke + Teddie, Kanji + Naoto), which just don't really mesh with the tone of the game, and the scooter incursions by backup team members feel really out of place. I mean, they actually took the time to explain how they'd feasibly bring weapons to Junes without being noticed and then they just expect us to believe they can bring in scooters no problem? (The rest of the added content is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't say it's something that'd be worth double dipping over if you already have the original).

Even the P5 DLC feels out of place with the base content. As soon as you start using DLC Personas, the usually calm and stoic Main Character suddenly starts speaking a lot more and even yells his Persona's attacks out loud like he's in a Shonen Jump series. He even starts laughing maniacally whenever those Personas get a new attack, for... reasons.

I love anything made by the Persona team. I think that when you get the director, Hashino Katsura, the composer, Meguro Shouji, and the lead character designer, Soejima Shigenori, together, you can be sure that greatness will follow. But as soon as you take Hashino out of the directorial role, the carefully constructed cohesion of his games starts falling apart, hence why I've made the decision to get neither Catherine Full Body nor P5R, considering I already have and 100%-ed the originals. From what I could gather from my past experiences, re-releases of Persona Team games are perfectly fine if you never got the original, but in my opinion, the new content is, at best, nothing worth double dipping over if you've already got the originals and feels completely tacked-on at worst.

Edited by jrdemr

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Actually it's not just that, but making a DLC expansion would require them to keep using the original mechanics and all content add couldn't affect the pre-existing schedule in-game (think on how Marie actually end up fitting into P4 story, the Golden add stuff isn't just the extra Dungeon, but extra things in the original time-line. 

By doing a new game they can remake the whole schedule to accommodate new Confidents and activities (even if they are adding a new semester, you can be sure that the new content will be blended with the original content). This kind of change by itself forces a really deep part of the game structure to be impossible to add as DLC. 

The only way that they could add to the base game as DLC would be if the new content was standalone, like The Answer chapter in P3FES or by adding an "irrelevant" new destination that didn't had anything that made in-game time advance. 

If the new content is to be synced with the original game, it's obvious that it has to be a new game.. Basic plot line will obviously be the same, but a Persona game is way more than it's basic plot line. 

I think that I will steal the idea from @sephiroth4424 and make it my 15k milestones trophy.. Since until 2020 should give me time to get close to that number and it's kind of fitting, because I used P5 for 150 plat.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Atlus has released a new trailer for Persona 5 Royal introducing new character Kasumi Yoshizawa (and her Persona Cendrillon), as well as detailed the 13,800 yen “Straight Flush Edition” due out alongside the standard edition in Japan.

The Straight Flush Edition includes the following:

Special box with Shigenori Soejima-illustrated artwork
Persona 5 Royal art book (B5-size, hard cover, 48 pages)
Persona 5 Royal soundtrack (one CD + booklet)
Designed by P-Studio t-shirt (size: large)
Phantom Thieves Costumes DLC Set:
   Velvet Room Costume & BGM Special Set
   Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight Costume & BGM Set