Sony should force developers......

maormaor13

I mean, I think the point of a trophy system is to provide further incentive for a player to fully explore all the different modes and aspects of a game. No, not all lists do that and yes, sometimes that can take a lot of time. But if you don’t want to put in all that time, just continue to the next game. 

With the EZPZ games, I think a lot of people are upset because the game has little to no actual value in terms of anything but trophy count. But that exists with any market- look at the crappy TVs that some brands like Westinghouse put out vs the Sony OLED or even an entry level 4k model.

The difference between the 2 markets is that the brands are marked- its more or less common knowledge that one brand is good or bad etc. I don’t think trophies should be any different, some consistency between what a platinum, gold, silver or bronze trophy actually holds in terms of value couldn’t hurt. 

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

That's nonsense. The leaderboards only reflect the numbers. You've spent 1000 hours to finish TES Online? Well, guess what? Others earned dozens of platinums during that time and greatly surpassed you because of that. By the way, it's reversed jealousy. Not just jealousy.

What’s reverse jealousy?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

What’s reverse jealousy?

I dunno, I think they're implying that people with exceptional platinums are upset (i.e jealous) of people higher on the leaderboards than them while having more common trophies and platinums. The former might feel their effort should garner more recognition

Edited by majob

"To make a trophy lists that contain a trophy for completing the game." - making a game completeable in 5 minutes would solve the "issue".

Sony testing every game and the platinum requirements before accepting the trophy list would be great for us, but pointless expense for them, and just plain impossible.

I mentioned in other thread that making a 50%+ rarity (on PSN, not here) trophies worth 0 points would be enough and wouldn't be hard to implement. But again, many games wouldn't be released on PSN and it would be a loss of cash for Sony.

6 hours ago, BlindMango said:

If Sony did both of the following things it would vastly improve things, and it wouldn't really add any extra work on their part:

• Require all platforms and regions be tied to one single trophy list
  • Require more bronze trophies than silver, and more silver trophies than gold, and cap number of gold trophies for a base game at 4.

I agree on first point, this would probably be the best thing to do to compromise existing "ezpz" games, satisfying "trophy whores", developers being still interested in making such games and being profitable for Sony. Maybe they could release clones of games and just call them different, but unfortunately every solution has its pros and cons.

Second point wouldn't change anything and existing points cap (1050 + plat) is good enough. They would still release ezpz games with 20-30 more trophies worth the exact same amount of points. Destiny 2 is an example of game that has 11 gold trophies and requires good amount of effort to plat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radgeck said:

I still have shivers when STAY is mentioned. Puzzles for the sake of puzzles no one understand, maybe the developer, but I'm sure he smash the keyboard and called that the solution. And the most unlikable protagonist ever made, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a self insert.

I never played STAY, i just know it's like 8+ hours long and the guide is many, many, many pages long haha. I might do all 6 stacks someday :P

3 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Blasting Agent has to be beaten twice, even.

I never played Basting Agent, despite buying it. I will have to get around to it at some point.

7 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Obviously they are worthless outside of this site but that doesn’t cover up the fact that all these games you are defending are garbage and shouldn’t have platinums or even be allowed to exist in the first place.

I don't defend anything. You guys are the ones who take this HOBBY (!) way, waaayyy too serious. Oh, by the way, who the fuck are you to decide what should be allowed and what not? Wanna go the fascist way over some worthless virtual cups? Really? Has it come this far? Dude, do yourself an enormous favor and quit gaming. At least for few months. Your attitude towards this HOBBY is unhealthy and outright obsessive. And this goes out to everyone with such a ridiculous, cockamamy, immature and preposterous mindset. People, this is about VIDEO GAMES! Entertainment products! Bits and bytes! Pixels and polygons! Ones and zeros! Something 100 % irrelevant!

If THIS can be called "art", then games by Ratatouille™ can have a platinums by the dozen.
And that's my final fart to this bullshit!

Spoiler

eulej6kla.png

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, El Duderino said:

I don't defend anything. You guys are the ones who take this HOBBY (!) way, waaayyy to serious. Oh, by the way, who the fuck are you to decide what should be allowed and what not? Wanna go the fascist way over some worthless virtual cups? Really? Has it come this far? Dude, do yourself an enormous favor and quit gaming. At least for few months. Your attitude towards this HOBBY is unhealthy and outright obsessive. And this goes out to everyone with such a ridiculous, cockamamy, immature and preposterous mindset. People, this is about VIDEO GAMES! Entertainment products! Bits and bytes! Pixels and polygons! Ones and zeros! Something 100 % irrelevant!

If THIS can be called "art", then games by Ratatouille can have a platinums by the dozen.

Hide contents

eulej6kla.png

Sounds like you are taking everybody’s replies way to seriously. These games are garbage and made for just trophies and geared toward people who are addicted to them. sony should not allow these games on their store unless the developers are actually trying to make a legitimate game.

Edited by rolltideroll157
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I don't defend anything. You guys are the ones who take this HOBBY (!) way, waaayyy too serious. Oh, by the way, who the fuck are you to decide what should be allowed and what not? Wanna go the fascist way over some worthless virtual cups? Really? Has it come this far? Dude, do yourself an enormous favor and quit gaming. At least for few months. Your attitude towards this HOBBY is unhealthy and outright obsessive. And this goes out to everyone with such a ridiculous, cockamamy, immature and preposterous mindset. People, this is about VIDEO GAMES! Entertainment products! Bits and bytes! Pixels and polygons! Ones and zeros! Something 100 % irrelevant!

If THIS can be called "art", then games by Ratatouille™ can have a platinums by the dozen.

Reveal hidden contents

eulej6kla.png

Right, because expecting the %100 or platinum (traditionally acquired by competing the game) to actually cover playing the game to the end of its story is such a ridiculous concept.  

Glad you're done (but I bet you aren't), because you've added little more than troll posts to this discussion

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, El Duderino said:

No difference at all. Ratta-tat-tat just make the most of it. The real question is: Why didn't this happen before? Were Sony's policies regarding trophies stricter before?

Sorry to quote you again, I know you said your last word, but I think this is an interesting question. 

Actually, I think this has happened before. Not to the extent we see it now, though, but the first attempts happened a while back. Games like Top 1000 rated or Slyde were published with the sole intent to grant an easy platinum, but were taken down from the store pretty quickly after release. Why? Because they offered absolutely no gameplay and were only sold for trophies. 

I believe that publishers like Ratalaika have now found the perfect balance (perfect for today's standards, not perfect in my eyes) between publishing games that appeal to trophy hunters / trophy hoarders by being easy and short to platinum, while still offering enough gameplay (despite arguably shitty gameplay, but gameplay nonetheless) to pass the threshhold for staying on the PS store. How do they do this? Well, they offer basic gameplay and just cut from the other end by making trophy lists that allow to get the platinum within minutes without even the need to complete the game.

The entire discussion here is whether Sony should increase their quality threshhold. Or at least that's how I interpret this whole discussion (plus all the issues with stacking / gold trophy only games, etc...). One possible way to slightly increase the threshhold would be, as suggested by the OP, to allow a game to include a platinum trophy only if it needs to be completed (by reaching the end credits, finishing some sort of campaign mode in sports games, etc...)

And again, it is my opinion that such practices should not be encouraged or supported by a company such as Sony (or any other company for that matter), and at the same time it is an insult from the publisher to the developer when their main marketing stategy is an easy list because the game wouldn't otherwise sell well enough. At least in some cases... Little Adventures on the Prairie was not only published, but also developed to just make a quick buck with easy trophies. 

I could also simply not participate in this discussion.. I mean, I am not affected by any of this.. I don't care about leaderboards, I don't play games I ain't genuinely interested in, I don't buy stacks or care about gold / platinum trophy counts... But I still cannot believe that these practices, which are obviously exploiting addiction, are supported by Sony. So yeah, it's not necessarily about taking a hobby too seriously, it's about not agreeing with certain business practices.

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, djb5f said:

The ability to stack is worse than easy plats.

Stack how? Regional? I wouldn't say that's worse than easy plats, but it is annoying since it ruins PSN features like comparing trophies. I don't mind platform stacks, since the games run differently so can often have different challenges due to framerate differences and such. Sometimes even having unique trophies between platforms (Rayman Origins on PS Vita vs PS3 for example).

Like, Sound Shapes? Yes, I agree. Being able to pop the plat instantly after earning it just the one time is lame. Which is why I didn't do that after earning it (plus death mode made me hate the game... lol)

Like, Jak & Daxter? Why? You still have to do it again (assuming you don't use the more recently found debug mode; but that's not because of the stackability of the game). What's bad about re-earning a platinum of the same game? I find that fun. I've completed Trine 3 full times. PS3, PC and PS4. And I'd do it again. I love that game. It's fun. And I love earning the Jak & Daxter platinum, it's fun to replay that game. I've done it to 100% on PS2, PS3, PS Vita and PS4. And I'd do it on PS5 if I get the chance.

I'd prefere if they forced them to only do offline trophies.

If not that, than maybe an "All Online Month" were every game that has an online component can be played online for that month....

SO I CAN GET ALL THE DAMN ONLINE TROPHIES!

I hate online trophies...

6 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Sounds like you are taking everybody’s replies way to seriously. These games are garbage and made for just trophies and geared toward people who are addicted to them. sony should not allow these games on their store unless the developers are actually trying to make a legitimate game.

Don't misinterpret your opinion as fact. I've enjoyed the Rat games I've decided to buy and they're also available on the Switch which has no trophies or achievements so claiming they're made solely for trophy hunters is a falsehood. And El Dude had a point, some people here place too much stock in what others play when they should worry about themselves instead of criticizing what others choose to do with their own time and money.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, majob said:

Don't misinterpret your opinion as fact. I've enjoyed the Rat games I've decided to buy and they're also available on the Switch which has no trophies or achievements so claiming they're made solely for trophy hunters is a falsehood. And El Dude had a point, some people here place too much stock in what others play when they should worry about themselves instead of criticizing what others choose to do with their own time and money.

You totally right.

I simply opened this one to discuss the problems with some trophy lists and not the game itself.

Most RATA games are fun, the problem is with the trophy lists that doesn’t force you to complete the game, not even half the game.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:00 AM, Mori said:

I have two of the plats. 

So am I worthy of criticizing "game" devs, that exploit compulsive behaviours and try to make a quick buck out of it?

I am sorry for you guys. You probably enjoy a few of those games, but most probably not. You can say as much as you want, but I hope you're still being honest to yourself. 

And before anyone comes at me. I also have some issues. I'll buy games even though I still have a handful of games I bought a year ago and havent touched yet. But I know that I bought them because I was interested in the game itself and not the trophies that are attached to them. Yes, they are a nice bonus and I like to collect them, but you'll never see me buying and playing a game I had absolute no interest in.

One just needs to look at my backlog to know that I have games dating back to 2014 - 2015 when I bought them and I STILL haven't gotten around to them.

All those PlayStation Flash Sales did a lot to hurt my backlog.

My advice to those reading is only buy something if you're truly interested in it and you're going to stick with it. I can tell you from experience that buying a few games just because they're cheap and not sticking with them because they weren't something you were really interested in is NOT a good perspective. That is basically buying shit on the go without doing any research on it. Impulse buying is what I define it.

Had I been smarter and more selective when buying I wouldn't have amounted to the backlog I have now.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:20 AM, ZitMeatloaf said:

This seems like a really weird place to draw a line in the sand. Is it really that important to you that platinum seekers should be forced to play an EZPZ game for 25 minutes instead of 20? That people playing Undertale should have to play it for 5 hours instead of 4?

They should require you to at least beat the game. That is one thing I think should be mandatory for every game, regardless of how difficult or long it is.

If I'm going to play Days Gone then reward me with a trophy for beating the main story. There is a trophy for just that, and I'm happy with it.

But if shit like the stuff Ratalaika Games just gives you a platinum 10 - 30 minutes into the game when you've barely gotten through a few levels, that is completely wrong and that needs to change. I don't care how short or long the game is, a platinum trophy shouldn't be handed out unless you've beaten the game, at least level wise.

I don't care how easy it is either. But this notion that I can earn the platinum in super quick succession while I barely played through the actual game is bullshit.

This falls right into the impulse buying, smartphone obsessed culture we live in. You buy a bunch of cheap, overly easy games that a 5 year old kid can play through, then you're done with them in under a hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowAsek said:

One thing Sony should force devs is putting :platinum: in EVERY game. Now, game like Drowning has :platinum:, but for example Resident Evil 4 hasn't.

To not even talk about Hitman Season 1 and 2: the last Season has more than 128 trophies including DLCs and both of them have no platinum lol

And, since I hate multiplayer and online features, put the online trophies in another list and not in the main one which includes the platinum, in masterpiece games like The Last Of Us.

• Like 1