How you get motivated to pursue trophies?

Xenoblast91

Hello everyone. I start this topic because lately I've been a little apathetic about playing and fight towards trophies or any other feat within this almost infinite list of awesome games. What makes you thirst towards trophies? How you get that motivation? Do you really enjoy a game that is rushed? What about those lengthy but beautiful games?

I feel kind pressured by the PS5 release, because I bought my PS4 a year ago and I feel that due time, I lost the collective hype for certain games from over the years and now I just want to enjoy and earn every trophie available in each feasible game. But this feels kind insincere from a true gaming lover like me. What would you do change from this and would you manage to keep playing despite the amount of game that are coming along the way? 

Thanks a lot and happy hunting! 

• Like 1

I usually get my trophy hunting motivation by participating in events or challenges on the forum which task you to complete games 100%. Being with a group of people with whom you can share your experiences and your highs & lows of throphy hunting truly encourages me to put my back into it more, even if it's a very long and difficult game to plat or 100%. Kinda gives me more of a purpose to earn the trophies instead of just doing it for my own personal "glory" if that makes sense. 

• Like 2

My motivation on trophies really comes from playing good games I’m interested in. The massive backlog I have can be a big motivator since there is so much to do. I don’t mind those long games to plat at all which is why it doesn’t bother me. 

• Like 2

My OCD makes me do it, sometimes I don't even want to finish trophy list but I getting stressed because of unfinished stuff. I think it's a problem sometimes because I worry about stuff I shouldn't but I can't stop, because some trophies are fun so it goes like 50% fun / 50% stress think. I have a lot of single player games unfinished because I buy new games on discounts and trying to finish online trophies as fast as possible. 

• Like 1

If I needed much additional motivation than just having fun doing it, I would probably stop earning trophies. But I've always liked to complete my games, also before trophies were a thing. 

I agree with the comments above, though.... The most important thing is playing games you want to play, regardless of trophies. The main goal for me is having fun doing what I do, so I will not just buy games for quick and easy trophies. I will also not just play every single "masterpiece" just because it's the next "must-play". One of the consequences is that I really like my profile on this page, and I get satisfaction in keeping it at a high completion percentage. ?

Sure, I have suffered through some boring grinds and tedious multiple playthroughs for certain platinums, but I can count those on one hand (sure, I don't have a high number of plats, but that's besides the point ?)

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

Good games. That's the whole motivation. Trophies are just a beautiful plus. 

To give an example : Doing a sick jump on heavy metal in Brutal Legend or pulling some crazy mission combos in Guilty Gear... Getting the trophy bling is like the finishing touch of a nice experience. 

Of course there are some exceptions with abysmal multiplayer trophies but if the single player was awesome then it gets a pass

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I will also not just play every single "masterpiece" just because it's the next "must-play".

I am guilty of that. Though some games were good or had better installments, e.g. Batman, I think I went overboard and purchased way too many AAA-games just because, and later on realized that some of those games arent really my cup of tea.

10 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

I feel kind pressured by the PS5 release, because I bought my PS4 a year ago and I feel that due time, I lost the collective hype for certain games from over the years and now I just want to enjoy and earn every trophie available in each feasible game.

I feel you, the fact that the PS5 is roughly one year away stresses me out for some reason and my backlog isnt even that large compared to many others on PSNP

Edited by Mori

I find it hard to keep motivated by long, difficult or boring games. I find games that are either easy or moderate, nmo more than a 7/10 difficulty and estimated plat completion time of less than 100 hours a lot easier to stay motivated. I can never motivate myself for a game like Persona 5 or Disgaea, as just looking at the trophy guide puts me off even starting the game. 

Being selective about games and playing short easy plats in between the longer harder ones helps keeping motivation up, as playing a single game for ages without any trophies or plats can demotivate you. If you have an easy game in the background to play here and there, at least you're still earning trophies and plats whilst tackling the harder longer games.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like trophy addiction (I know we're not talking about this), but for me trophy hunting becomes an addiction when I buy easy games like Super Weekend Mode, POWGI games and all the others with multiple stacks...

If you don't feel motivated it's fine, maybe you don't like it so much.

The mental process of motivation for earning trophies is the same one that starts in the brain when it wants things and gain happyness and carving (in Psychology is the scientific term of "feeling good when you do something you like).

If you're in trophy hunting burnout, play some A++ games you really like or stop playing videogames for a week or 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 3:32 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I find it hard to keep motivated by long, difficult or boring games. I find games that are either easy or moderate, nmo more than a 7/10 difficulty and estimated plat completion time of less than 100 hours a lot easier to stay motivated. I can never motivate myself for a game like Persona 5 or Disgaea, as just looking at the trophy guide puts me off even starting the game. 

Being selective about games and playing short easy plats in between the longer harder ones helps keeping motivation up, as playing a single game for ages without any trophies or plats can demotivate you. If you have an easy game in the background to play here and there, at least you're still earning trophies and plats whilst tackling the harder longer games.

Most of the games I play aren't necessarily difficult, but I have a few that are quite long in terms of time invested to platinum. Lately I've had less and less time to play so I've been in this weird funk of not enjoying the little quick plats, but fearful of jumping into a big game and then getting discouraged due to the time investment. Also the same goes for my backlog. I'm weary to start new games and see that low percentage, but I'm like dragging ass thinking about playing older backlog titles to make more progress. I'm just stuck in the middle at the moment. 

• Like 1

I personally was into trophy hunting on games that I really enjoyed playing but about a year ago after I reached 100 platinums something changed I semi switched to PC gaming and lost interest in trophy hunting as my backlog was growing and the amount of time I had each week to play games was diminishing quite a lot. Which is probably the reason why I hardly used this site much in the past 18 months or so.

I feel that I can probably get back into it if I really tried and I do intend to come back and finish as much as I can of the games in my backlog but I honestly don't know how long that will last. But I do have a list of about 4 or 5 games that I definitely want to finish pretty much guaranteed.

So to put it simply do it because you enjoy it I don't think completing games to 100% so your profile looks top tier is an incentive (well at least not for me anyway) or a goal.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I often play 3-5 games at once . Some shorter ones when grinding a long one to take breaks from it when getting burnout .  I get motivated when its a really good game that is released  that ive been waiting for as well . 

Because for me playing a game and getting the trophies aren't separate tasks. I don't do one without the other. I don't view trophies as some side activity I just so happen to partake in because I feel compelled to do so...it's just natural to me at this point that I'm going to get the trophies as I play. 

For me, I am just trying to focus on one game at a time - and enjoy it, try to make the most of it and get my money's worth.

And not trying to have a huge backlog - I have a bunch of games I've yet to start, and it doesn't bother me having to wait to get to play them as patience is a virtue, but starting too many things at once can be a detriment, so I get motivated in small bursts, and when I do get a tiny bit of motivation, I just chip, chip, chip away at one game at a time until its done.

Limit yourself by only some of the better titles out there, or ones you really enjoy, and forget about some of the more mid or mediocre ones.  And maybe do some of the shorter ones.

So many games out there are very similar to each other as well, and you don't need to play all of them - there hasn't been very much innovation in games for a while, and not many I get excited about anyway.