Lion King and Aladdin Games Getting Remastered

6 hours ago, Copanele said:

I guess it depends at what age you played the games. 

Truth. I played that game when I was really young and I was too dumb to realize that if you attacked while running you could do essentially a dash move which was the only way to make it past the rolling boulders. I found that out recently actually. 

• Like 1

Never Played this ones (Obviously, i think i wasn't even Born) but i love Both Movies (The real one not the ugly Live action version Now ugh) and this game slooks like old Style platformers which is always nice and a Genre i love :3 

So surely gonna keep an eye on it, hopefully it will cost like 20 €, but it's disney so i wouldn't be surprised if we see it for 50 € instead.....

• Like 1

20+ years later and we’re all still fighting over which version of Aladdin is better. Allow me to enter the mayhem. Both games share the same license but hold completely different play styles. The most they both contain is elements of platforming. The developers, Virgin Games and Capcom were certainly no strangers when it came to making quality Disney games at the time. Dave Perry was the director of the Genesis version, making it the spiritual predecessor to Earthworm Jim before Shiny Entertainment was founded. The SNES version was designed by Shinji Mikami, who is well known for his work on Resident Evil.

Both games are great, but if I had to choose just one, it’d be Genesis for sure. The music is much, much closer to the movie. The animations were drawn by Disney artists before being compressed to sprites. Attacking with the sword feels more unique than just jumping on enemies and your apples can actually destroy them too. But that’s enough out of me, I’m looking forward to this collection for sure ^^

24-A79-FFD-0896-460-F-804-A-EEE0753-A6-B

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TugaSonic said:

Here's the trailer for the collection:

Seems like the SNES version of Aladdin won't be included in the collection.

Holy crap, 3 versions of each game, emulator features, plus an art gallery AND sound test? You are getting ALOT out of this!

Hell yeah I'm buying this!

• Like 3

I was kind of hoping these games would come to either the PS4 or Nintendo Switch, never thought it would actually happened definitely getting the collection.
Aladdin I never got past The Escape level. And the lion king I did beat once I Sega genesis.
 Now another game I hope shows up that I'm not sure if possible or not is Mickey Mania the timeless adventures of mickey mouse.

A real shame the SNES version of Aladdin isn’t included. I would of preferred that over the Disney Afternoon Collection we got a couple years ago. 

10 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

Firstly: Congrats on getting all the trophies on any of the Megaman Collections, let alone Legacy Collection 2 (some of the most difficult trophies ever devised).

Those collections have nothing on the Capcom Arcade Cabinet. If you want a real challenge, that Collection puts those Mega Man collections to shame. 

Secondly: You got me fondly remembering renting new games every single friday after school from 1990 to probably early 2000 - usually with a free greesy personal pan pizza thanks to my overflowing Pizza Hut Book-it points I earned each week reading books! lol. I remember when video stores where all over the place where I lived, and part of the fun was checking in each week to see who got what new games in, and praying I was the first to check them out. :)

I grew up in a small town right off a major freeway. We had two video rental stores. Unfortunately I wasn’t old enough to pick which days I can go because my parents back then were renting VHS tapes of movies, before DVDs even existed. So if I was going to the video store, it was to have my parents rent movies, not video games. 

I rented Bugs Bunny, Earthworm Jim, Streets of Rage 3, Judge Dredd, Toejam & Earl, Aladdin, The Lion King and several other games. 

Renting made me a better gamer because I only had 48 hours to beat any game I paid for. I think I must have rented every good NES and SNES game at one point - I even rented Aladdin and beat that in 1994. The best part about video stores was that you could rent consoles you didn't own: so I rented a Sega Genesis so much that I probably occured $150 worth of rental late fees over the years.

I rented Streets of Rage 3 more than any other game. Never could beat it due to how long and difficult it was. I got the Bad Ending by playing on Easy Difficulty, but was never good enough to go beyond that. 

I rented a lot of N64 games and PS2 games. Rented Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and Devil May Cry among many many others. 

Renting let you try more games than you could ever afford, and allowed your tastes to grow. You could try games you planned on buying too - I miss that opportunity in a day and age where we don't even have demo hardily anymore. Honestly I really miss those days in general.

Times were more simple and life wasn’t spending half of your waking hours glued to a smartphone or laptop. 

I’m starting to miss those days as well. Just the sheer innocence of it all. Watching Steve Urkel on Family Matters and Carlton Banks on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air while listening to Ace of Base and playing Super Mario World on the SNES is a memory I will never forget. 

Now you have nothing but 1 - hour HBO style melodramas that try to make you feel weak. Most of any video game can be bought instantly off the internet so much of the immersion is gone. Cartoons went from Swat Kats and Darkwing Duck to some ADD (attention deficit disorder) bullshit sugar coated crap with terrible animation and the writing changes every two minutes. Popular music today is full of auto tune with no consistency, flow, melody or any real care.  

I’m so glad I’m not a kid today. 

Anyway enough rambling on. I’ll probably buy this collection even if it doesn’t have a platinum. 

Thanks for posting your story.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, flashpool23 said:

Would this be because they want to promote the movies and/or Disney+?

Though I never did try these games so I think they'd be worth playing.

Yeah, I was thinking that.  I mean both Lion King and Aladdin movies had their remakes this year... and now the games are getting remade/remastered/ported (whichver term you want to use).  Hard to say if it is a coincidence or not.

15 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

Animation today is horrible. Original shows are bad enough, but what has happened to the returning series from our youths like Thunder Cats, DuckTales, Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans, etc... they look horrible. Even Anime series like Dragon Ball have switched the cheaper sloppier computure animation.

They should of taken inspiration from Ducktales Remastered. That video game actually had pretty decent animation and the acting was good. Too bad it's delisted.

I was watching old commercials of Cartoon Network from back in 1995 - 1999. Then I tuned into the station not too long ago and... it's fucking abysmal. There's none of that childhood magic or long stay feel anymore.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were the shit back in the day. Toonami was a great block of anime shows on Cartoon Network. Gundam Wing and Cowboy Bebop were two shows I used to watch quite often.

But I think we've derailed this thread enough. Talk to me in PM if you want to continue on this conversation.

• Like 2

On 28.8.2019 at 8:17 PM, ShonenCat said:

20+ years later and we’re all still fighting over which version of Aladdin is better. Allow me to enter the mayhem. Both games share the same license but hold completely different play styles. The most they both contain is elements of platforming. The developers, Virgin Games and Capcom were certainly no strangers when it came to making quality Disney games at the time. Dave Perry was the director of the Genesis version, making it the spiritual predecessor to Earthworm Jim before Shiny Entertainment was founded. The SNES version was designed by Shinji Mikami, who is well known for his work on Resident Evil.

Both games are great, but if I had to choose just one, it’d be Genesis for sure. The music is much, much closer to the movie. The animations were drawn by Disney artists before being compressed to sprites. Attacking with the sword feels more unique than just jumping on enemies and your apples can actually destroy them too. But that’s enough out of me, I’m looking forward to this collection for sure ^^

Thank you for the explanation. I only played the Megadrive/Genesis Version of Aladdin and was surprised to read that there's some differences to the SNES version...

I never beat Aladdin but maybe i'll get a chance now? :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Thank you for the explanation. I only played the Megadrive/Genesis Version of Aladdin and was surprised to read that there's some differences to the SNES version...

I never beat Aladdin but maybe i'll get a chance now? :D

Definitely a good game. It's not too hard compared to other Megadrive/Genesis games back in the day.

I always had trouble riding the carpet trying to escape the lava. Always died constantly.

Yeah; two of Chiri`s favourite Disney games coming for the Playstation 4.... that are very great News!

Maybe one day they also will remaster all Mikey Mouse games of MD/SNES; then i will be the happiest in the world.

Edited by Chirithy

• 1 month later...
On 18.10.2019 at 5:17 AM, DrakeHellsing said:

Well, the achievement list for Xbox One is out: https://www.exophase.com/game/disney-classic-games-aladdin-and-the-lion-king-xbox/achievements/

So one could assume they would be about the same.  Hopefully the pictures stay the same, would love actual screenshots from the movies as trophy images.

Isn't it a bit weird, that 12 of the 15 trophies are related to Aladdin, while Lion King only has 3 for completing each difficulty?

Aladdin has a bunch of misc trophies, like defeating bonus stages and bosses and so on. Kinda weird there's nothing like that for Lion King.

I wonder if difficulty trophies will stack, and if there'll be a Platinum trophy of course.

Just now, Maahniac said:

Isn't it a bit weird, that 12 of the 15 trophies are related to Aladdin, while Lion King only has 3 for completing each difficulty?

Yeah, that's something I did notice when I saw it and thought it was rather odd.  But you never know if the trophy list will be the same or not.  I think there has been instances at times when the trophy list is a bit different to the achievement list, as in, sometimes a little more, sometimes a bit less.  Off the top of my head I can't think of examples though.