First platinum in 10h

Bagwell69

39 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Who's flaunting here, though? The site lists the first earners as a feature, does it not? And in certain parts of the communities- i.e. speedrunning- it is considered skillful. 

Oh no one is (so far). I just feel it deserves to be stated in general nonetheless. I don't have anything against people who plat games this way or stack platinum trophies, as such. Anyone is entitled to enjoy the game they purchased as they see fit. But from my personal point of view, I find it takes away so much of just enjoying the game as a whole. And let's be honest, there's no way you could just plat (and finish the entire game of) FF VIII legitimately under ten hours.

And I definitely understand people who are pissed off at trophy hunters who do nothing but employ glitches and cheats to get their (platinum) trophies and then gloat over how easy everything was. I mean, you're kind of deceiving yourself at that point, no?

Edited by JoaLoft

1 minute ago, JoaLoft said:

Oh no one is (so far). I just feel it deserves to be stated in general nonetheless. I don't have anything against people who plat games this way or stack platinum trophies, as such. Anyone is entitled to enjoy the game they purchased as they see fit. But from my personal point of view, I find it takes away so much of just enjoying the game as a whole. And let's be honest, there's no way you could just plat (and finish the entire game of) FF VIII legitimately under ten hours.

And I definitely understand people who are pissed off at trophy hunters who do nothing but employ glitches and cheats to get their (platinum) trophies and then gloat about how easy everything was. I mean, you're kind of deceiving yourself at that point, no?

Yeah, that would be annoying but it's just that I've been here over a year and haven't seen such behaviour on this site. Best to ignore those morons in general. 

4 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Yeah, that would be annoying but it's just that I've been here over a year and haven't seen such behaviour on this site. Best to ignore those morons in general. 

Wholeheartedly agree. ;)

As long as people are enjoying the game (and not sapping the fun out of anyone else's experience, i.e. if it's multiplayed-oriented).

Loads of people state that FF VIII is the weakest one in the PS1 trilogy, but honestly: I think it's on par with other classics in the franchise. The entire setting, the technology, the music, the attire of the characters, Triple Triad, the combat, the story and the plot twists(!) ... I don't think FF VIII is worse, it's just unique in its own way, and it's still a tremendously fun RPG. The fact I can still enjoy it this much 20 years later, proves it stood the test of time very well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I'll just leave this here: 

https://www.speedrun.com/ff8/run/mekk9k8m

This is the 100% speedrun world record in 10 hours and 40 minutes. The requirements are WAY stricter than this trophy list... Get all TT cards, finish all sidequests.. basically what this trophy list should have been. 

Not trying to argue against your point, just saying. I'll be playing the game without cheats as well :)

Jesus Christ. If that is legit, you'd have to know the game inside and out, and rush from point A, to point B, to point C, and so on. Respect to speedrunners who can pull this off the legitimate way.

I don't know what you're all talking about. I've played FF8 15 times throughout childhood. I love it and it is the best FF ever. but using the cheats is not taking anything from me. it allows me to relive the whole thing but faster. I always hated to need so much time to get from A to B. I already achieved everything in this game several times why should I feel bad about using the chetas to just enjy the story again oder to try a new way in less time. I never tried to beat the game on start level and now I can play around a but without loosing too much time for other options and games.

Edited by AiManiaTrophyhunting
  • Like 4

Well, I don't mind about that. Their decision on using such tricks does not affect my experience with the game.

I will play naturally and will take the proper time to enjoy everything once again, just as I remember my 13-14s. 

• Like 1

I love getting Trophies as much as anyone, but I refuse to play any stupid game for a Trophy. What's the point in showing many Platinums for the hell of it, or rushing through the game for a digital pat on the back, like it's some kind of race. I've never played this one, because when it came out, I wasn't really playing many video games, so I'm looking forward to starting it. Even if I knew this game inside and out, I would enjoy it at my leisure and not worry about how fast I can get a Trophy.

Edited by Nitemares-----

2 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Opened a thread about this very thing, just before you posted your message. I'm wondering about the same thing, so feel free to check the thread.

Oh, that's totally up to them. If that's the way they enjoy their games and getting their trophies, nobody should stop them. But flaunting your stuff everywhere afterwards to show how fast you completed the game and how well you did, is pretty presumptuous. That's not a testament of skill, that's just being lazy.

how is it not a testament of skill? they know the game like the back of their hand. thats skill and knowledge.

4 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

It’s a trophy community. People will definitely take the shortest route to the plat if they want to. 

I agree. This is a trophy community so it is kind of ridiculous to see people not using game save manipulation or another prohibited method to earn trophies and still be criticized. If you don’t want to cheat, don’t cheat. There is no need to create a thread about this kind of stuff. As a wise man once said, “You do you.”

Oh, i'm seeing now that the WR for 100% run was done 2 years ago on PC, which means he probably used the speed booster, doing things in 10 real-time hours but actually playing for 30 in-game hours lol. I guess the same happened here? Does the in-game clock speeds up or is it at normal speed like in FF9? It was useful for a Excalibur II run.

Edited by Lance_87

I think it's pretty cool they did it that fast! I mean i've done this before when doom 1 came out on PS4. I think as other have said that means he knows the game so well he can run through it nearly 100 %. I mean isn't the reason way we have a time leaderborad on this site as like a speed run leaderborad? I think it's pretty awesome too see and if that's how he wants to play it I'm perfectly fine with that and think it's cool even!

4 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

I'm not interested in the cheats at all, and I don't intend to use them.

I'm taking my time right now with this fantastic game, just as I did back when it released in 1999. Just about done with Ifrit and heading towards the Dollet SeeD exam (such an amazing segment in the game, with the chasing spider robot).

And honestly: if you enjoy platting a game like this with cheats, that's your business, but I'd never do something that low. I think it's inferior to boast about getting a platinum that quick if you've cheesed your way through it, unlike people who actually take their time and tackle the game properly, by demonstrating skill and effort.

I, for one, am going to be putting dozens of hours into this game, because that's what it deserves. An underrated FF entry, in my opinion. And one that deserves to be platted the honorable way.

I read your post like Jim Sterling's Commentocracy persona Duke Amiel Hardcore. Well done.

Edited by ShadowSigmaX

I dont mind.  I played this game hundreds of hours on PS1. If people want to rush it, so be it. As for me, Im going to use the 3x because I dont have the time I did 20 years ago but I will get everything nonetheless. In fact, I played 3 hours of cards yesterday before the SeeD exam. So it will be 70 or 80 hours by the time I reach Lv 100 with everyone .

Edited by angelbless45
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

I read your post like Jim Sterling's Commentocracy persona Duke Amiel Hardcore. Well done.

Lol, that actually made me chuckle. And I instantly did the same thing with my post.

If only he featured my comment in one of his videos, if only. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AvengedEvil said:

So, what's your point? It's not the first FF that can be completed with cheats within a short time. Nobody will blame you for taking your time with the game. So don't blame others for rushing through it.

This is my thoughts, i remember when FF7 was released with cheats and such and theres was a big hooha how that ruined the game and how now it wont be special or anything. I'm like yeah okay buddy.

i'm in the side where, you play however you want, you want to take the old school way go for it, but don't make it a moral compass where you turn your noses to other who want to play it different. 

• Like 1

Gotta be honest, I've finished the original like 3 times including getting all cards, completing every boring side quest and not leveling up until I had Cactuar, so I might take the fastest route as well. However, this only applies to the fighting mechanics. Story wise I won't skip anything. I know the game inside out and really want the game to show up in my trophy list but I just don't want to do everything again for the 4th time and another 100 hours.

5 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

I never tried to beat the game on start level and now I can play around a but without loosing too much time for other options and games.

You should really try it in order to get the strongest party according to the numbers. When you get Cactuar on CD3 you need to get all of his +1 abilities. Doing so, every level up gives you much more points. So ewith every 1000 XP you get +1 strength, +1 magic,+1 vitality, +1 speed etc. compared to getting some points every 3 or 4 levels doing it the normal way.

That means that you can achieve the maximum of 255 in almost every category without using the +50% abilities. For some you will need it anyway but with this method you can focus on other perks as well.

Edited by Gommes_