Stedde

Will we ever see a handheld console from Sony again?

45 posts in this topic

With the end of life cycle for the PS Vita, do you think we will ever seen an handheld game console from Sony again?
The mobile industry has basically taken over that whole space, however with the Nintendo switch, Nintendo has shown that it's still possible and there is an demand.

I would love to see something new with the PS5.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it, I think anything they'd put into a handheld would just be put into mobile instead.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

I doubt it, I think anything they'd put into a handheld would just be put into mobile instead.

Strange that have not/did not do more with the Sony Ericsson mobiles and the Playstation brand back in the day when Android was introduced.

I really hope the pendulum will move again and back to a handheld device.
Today everything is in your mobile. There is too much noise coming from that thing! ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I really don't think they will. As others have said, Mobile gaming is king. I would expect to see some PlayStation characters get mobile releases in the future, but I don't think we will ever get another PSP or PS Vita unless something changes dramatically.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what if they do it like Nintendo, it's control and handheld device?

They could still then release just titles for the handheld device. Just download everything from PSN.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stedde said:

With the end of life cycle for the PS Vita, do you think we will ever seen an handheld game console from Sony again?
The mobile industry has basically taken over that whole space, however with the Nintendo switch, Nintendo has shown that it's still possible and there is an demand.

I would love to see something new with the PS5.

 

Ngl, I'd love to see a new handheld, but with no proprietary memory cards, and with real support. They left the Vita to die after a couple years of AAA releases. Surely the general public wouldn't know the Vita exists, since it seems the PSP had more attention. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice but I highly doubt.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, as stated above, mobile games reign supreme. I expect them to focus on that more. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its hard to say. 

Sony generally follows Nintendo's suite but for more power and performance and to see a leap in change between PS4 and the next generation PS5 Sony is almost forced to stick to home console especially with Microsoft as competition and maybe Google. This leaves little room to develop another portable. 

Sony themselves have stated the love the PS Vita and would have liked to see more but unless the market changes i do not see them releasing another console. I mean heck they even scrapped PlayStation Mobile and did not re-release these games on Android and iOS? Just sort of tells you where they stand on portable gaming really...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in the words of a famous character in a game I like. Nope ~ red/blue Engineer Team fortress 2

 

 

Reason for this is simple, they never seemed to care for the past handheld game consoles. If anything they crapped on them

Edited by KANERKB
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A full fledged Vita 2 is unlikely.

 

Maybe some sort of complimentary streaming device that can remote play your PS5 & stream PS Now?

Edited by Klart
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Stedde said:

Strange that have not/did not do more with the Sony Ericsson mobiles and the Playstation brand back in the day when Android was introduced.

 

They did. It was called Playstation Mobile. Sony shut it down a while ago.

 

I think that we will if things align just right. Right now, even the next couple years: No.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Klart said:

A full fledged Vita 2 is unlikely.

 

Maybe some sort of complimentary streaming device that can remote play your PS5 & stream PS Now?


They should make all the PSP and PS Vita games available like a Retrostation, with Trophies to all of them of course! :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stedde said:

But what if they do it like Nintendo, it's control and handheld device?

They could still then release just titles for the handheld device. Just download everything from PSN.

I think they'll alienate their buyers at that point. Some will only buy the hybrid which could only play certain games, while some would only buy the PS5 for the superior play. You can already remote play games on your phone (granted, it's very limited) and on PC so I can't see them ever considering it. The difference between Nintendo is that this hybrid is their main console now. It's not competing with the 3DS because the 3DS is already done. They're focus is on the Switch.

 

Never say never, but I wouldn't expect to see one anytime soon. Not until the PS5 is established and they are able to utilize both the PS5 and this handheld in the handheld market. As far as I concerned, we are years apart from that happening.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a day one purchase (if compatible with vita digital games) for me, please Sony, do it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, I don't see Sony releasing a new handheld console in the near future. Later down the road, maybe they will try the whole handheld console thing again.

  

9 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Ngl, I'd love to see a new handheld, but with no proprietary memory cards, and with real support. They left the Vita to die after a couple years of AAA releases. Surely the general public wouldn't know the Vita exists, since it seems the PSP had more attention. 

 

17 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unless they learned their lessons with the lack of advertising and idiotic overpriced proprietary memory, I highly doubt it.

The proprietary memory cards are the worst thing about the Vita. Sony want all the money and we have to suffer. I hope some other company makes Vita memory cards in the future. Using Micro SD would have been better.

 

A lot of the major players in the game industry never learn anything from their mistakes. If the do learn a lesson, it's usually temporary.

 

28 minutes ago, Stedde said:

But what if they do it like Nintendo, it's control and handheld device?

I think the PS5 is trying be as powerful as possible and not do much else. Trying to copy Nintendo... is risky but does work, sometimes.

 

11 minutes ago, Stedde said:

They should make all the PSP and PS Vita games available like a Retrostation, with Trophies to all of them of course! :D

That would be nice but the game industry does not try to preserve games and usually doesn't do a great job when they do try. The emulation community can do a better job and can get any game (because they don't have to follow the law). 

 

Also, PSP games don't have trophies.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll just pretend the previous handhelds never happened.

Edited by Lance_87
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vita was wayyyy ahead of its time, It even had an OLED display. I love my Vita, I remote play with it(with games that make sense with lack of easy to use L2 and R2)

 

As much as I would love another handheld, I doubt they'd do it :(

 

But they could go the Wii U route and use the controller as remote play, but I dont see that happening either.

Its sad.

 

They're definitely embracing phones, which is good for the long run.

But my phone is running android 9 not 10(and wont get 10), so I can't use the ps4 controller. So that's out. And I have 0 interest in upgrading anytime soon(years) as I love my LG V30.

 

But if they did come out with a successor to the Vita with R2, R3, L2, L3 with the power of the ps4, and backwards combatibility id nab it at launch.(as long as there's no proprietary cards etc)

Edited by Dav9834
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope not.  They did such a terrible job with Vita, and it was so clunky to use half the time, I really hope they never do.  I'm sure in this thread (though not reflective of the population as a whole), I'll be in the minority with my opinion, but I am a Vita owner (as well as every Playstation console since launch) and I've never been impressed with it.  And for anyone who has an argument for handheld devices, keep in mind that Sony has added support for both iOS and Android devices for remote play AND you can use a DS4 controller.  I know it's not the exact same thing, but its a decent alternative, especially for people who can only afford one console.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

I really hope not.  They did such a terrible job with Vita, and it was so clunky to use half the time, I really hope they never do.  I'm sure in this thread (though not reflective of the population as a whole), I'll be in the minority with my opinion, but I am a Vita owner (as well as every Playstation console since launch) and I've never been impressed with it.  And for anyone who has an argument for handheld devices, keep in mind that Sony has added support for both iOS and Android devices for remote play AND you can use a DS4 controller.  I know it's not the exact same thing, but its a decent alternative, especially for people who can only afford one console.

The best thing Sony ever did with the Vita was make Gravity Rush. I also like the console itself. Sony didn't make the Vita great, the massive amount of Japanese games and quality indie titles made it great.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Sony competent enough to create, market and support another handheld? I certainly doubt. The mess they made with the Vita would be most certainly be done again. Which was a pity as the VIta is a great handheld.

 

Anyway according to Sony there was and there will be no market for handhelds, that's why the Switch is a failure...

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cris3f said:

Anyway according to Sony there was and there will be no market for handhelds, that's why the Switch is a failure...

They're just being bitter because they're handhelds didn't make fat stacks like the Nintendo's handhelds.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.