Can we talk about how f***ing hard this game is?

jonesey46

26 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

Vent brother vent!! 1f606.png1f64c.png

1.) I played through Doom (2016) on Ultra-Violence, no problems. 

2.) Naturally I started Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence.... NOPE! The game was not having it. Kept dying on Archnotrons. The game kicked my butt so quickly, that I honestly thought something was wrong.

3.) I turned the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty (the default difficulty), and still am struggling.

I'm determined to not drop the difficulty down anymore - but christ, is Eternal a challenging FPS. I can only imagine how tough the final bosses encounters are!

Final bosses are quite hard. I was dying like an idiot so many times. Khan fight is too me much tougher than Icon Of Sin. To me big problem on Khan is how scarce resources are. You need to shoot those bloody thing in tip of the head to get the ammo while they are attacking you. I had problem with ammo. Otherwise it is quite simple - shoot until you fill out meter and then do the shotgun attack.

For Icon of Sin movement is the key. Constantly moving and getting ammo is no problem for defeating him.

Edited by Rakinho993
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

2.) Naturally I started Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence.... NOPE! The game was not having it. Kept dying on Archnotrons. The game kicked my butt so quickly, that I honestly thought something was wrong.

Have you tried using the shotgun grenade mod to blow up the gun on its back? after that just use the freeze grenade on it and then use either the rapid fire shotgun mod on it or the chaingun on it. The chainsaw usually refills to one bar so you can use it on zombies, imps or gargoyles to replenish ammo

• Like 1

I just finished it on nightmare which was very tough. I kept getting stuck in the earlier parts of the game until I mastered the combat loop, gameplay mechanics. Once I did, I was getting through without too much difficulty and it was very fun! Bosses were very tough as I did them without the sentinel armour boost.

Here are some tips / Observations:

• Stay airborne as much as possible: there are usually so many enemies on the ground that you will die quick even if running. Their aim is crazy good on nightmare and they will hit you almost every time even if you are strafing. So, stay airborne and change direction in air with dash, double jump.
  • Use flame belch as much as possible to keep getting armour boosts.
  • Chainsaw as soon as ammo for any gun runs out. Each gun is effective against different enemies so you want it with ammo in case that enemy is around the corner.
  • Unlock mastery for double barrel shotgun as soon as possible. Flaming meat hook makes them drop armour, you can meat hook out of tricky situations and you can control your movement mid-air even when meat hook / zip lining.
  • Use the games tips about weaknesses against enemies. It makes them much easier to kill.
    • Plasma Rifle with heat burst upgrade was very effective as you unload with plasma, heat burst which stuns enemies. I found it easier to get enemies stunned state with this compared to others to get glory kills. Effective against most enemies and shields. Best weapon against Doom Hunter I found.
    • Chain gun with shield upgrade. Very effective against hell knights, baron of hell. Plasma rifle before that.
    • Freeze grenades on whiplash and revenants then unload on them.
    • Lock on misses against prowlers.
    • Ballista against pain elemental, cacodemons. 
    • I would use super weapons against the Cyber Daemon and Archville.
    • Marauders are the hardest enemies. Super shotgun is the best against them. Clear the room of all other enemies first (except fodder). Don't shoot at them until they start their attack (eye light up green). One direct hit will stun them. If you have the quick hands upgrade you can get another shot in. Meat hook away to surrounding zombies to get armour and ammo, rinse and repeat.
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 6:35 AM, AloneBert- said:

That's actually just very good polished mechanic. You need to learn and get it. 

But, the thing is I believe it's much better to play that game on PC. I really like fast-paced FPS but it's very hard to play such shooters with dualshock (I mean in comparison with good mouse and keyboard).

I'm shocked that id didn't add keyboard/mouse support to Doom Eternal on PS4, especially when Infinity Ward made sure to put it in Modern Warfare. With the PS4 version being so good in all other ways, that's the only other thing I could ask for. Maybe they could patch it in later? I've played through Hard Reset Redux on both PS4 and PC, and PC comes out ahead because of a mouse's more precise aim, and instant weapon switching (with keys 1-5). You could use a Hori TAC K&M setup, but it's not quite as good.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2020 at 10:27 PM, Rakinho993 said:

I had a problem on a battle against Khan Maykr. How did you do it? How much extra lifes are there aproximately? Thanks very much for your advice!

I think there is around 40~, I missed a few. I mainly used the lock on rocket mod, Empty the clip then hit khan makyr with the super shotgun mod. Land, freeze angels and headshot with the sniper heavy rifle mod (which gives full clip), then repeat.

12 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I'm shocked that id didn't add keyboard/mouse support to Doom Eternal on PS4, especially when Infinity Ward made sure to put it in Modern Warfare. With the PS4 version being so good in all other ways, that's the only other thing I could ask for. Maybe they could patch it in later? I've played through Hard Reset Redux on both PS4 and PC, and PC comes out ahead because of a mouse's more precise aim, and instant weapon switching (with keys 1-5). You could use a Hori TAC K&M setup, but it's not quite as good.

Wow, new modern warfare supports mouse and keyboard???? OMG, I want to check it asap, still miss a game cause it was blocked in Russia due to false looked-like historical statements about Russia... 

I really want PS5 to support mouse and keyboards more often at least in such FPS...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

You could use a Hori TAC K&M setup, but it's not quite as good.

I used the Hori Tac Assault Commander Pro. It has worked better on this game than any other PS4 games. I assume they have provided some support for it, or considered the Hori Hardware in the development in game as they have a licensed DOOM Eternal version of it:

https://stores.horiusa.com/tactical-assault-commander-pro-tac-pro-m2-doom-eternal-edition-for-playstation-4-and-playstation-3/

The main issues you face with the Tac Assault Commander is selcting weapons with the weapon wheel (as it is done with the mouse). It was impossible in RAGE 2 so I played with the controller. It was jitttery in Wolfenstein but it worked. It works perfectly in DOOM eternal.

The other issue is realted to inbuilt acceleration and dead zones. Controller aiming has acceleration built into the movement (hold aim in on direction and it moves faster longer you hold it in that direciton). When playing with a mouse can cause undersired behaviour, cursor jumps across the screen for example. Other than the battlefield games, there arn't options to adjust the in game settings. You can adjust it via the Hori app using a PC but takes a bit of playing around with settings to get something optimal.

But yes, not quite as good as PC keyboard and mouse as the devs typcially only consider controllers for console. However, still highly recommend it.

• Like 1

For anyone having trouble with the game try this. Upgrade your Super Shotgun and grind out the 50 chain kills to get the mastery. Now everytime you use a special the enemy will be set on fire and drop armor and if you get a quick kill you get a total of 30 armor. You use this on all "cannon fodder" and to make it even easier use the slowmotion rune. Then just chainsaw for more ammo. Halfway through my 1up playthrough and i have barely lost any HP at all since im almost always full on armor. 

Compared to my first playthrough where i probably died 20 times.

Just spam this ability and you will be golden. (except VS Marauders, those fucking assholes)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjan8935 said:

I used the Hori Tac Assault Commander Pro. It has worked better on this game than any other PS4 games. I assume they have provided some support for it, or considered the Hori Hardware in the development in game as they have a licensed DOOM Eternal version of it:

https://stores.horiusa.com/tactical-assault-commander-pro-tac-pro-m2-doom-eternal-edition-for-playstation-4-and-playstation-3/

The main issues you face with the Tac Assault Commander is selcting weapons with the weapon wheel (as it is done with the mouse). It was impossible in RAGE 2 so I played with the controller. It was jitttery in Wolfenstein but it worked. It works perfectly in DOOM eternal.

The other issue is realted to inbuilt acceleration and dead zones. Controller aiming has acceleration built into the movement (hold aim in on direction and it moves faster longer you hold it in that direciton). When playing with a mouse can cause undersired behaviour, cursor jumps across the screen for example. Other than the battlefield games, there arn't options to adjust the in game settings. You can adjust it via the Hori app using a PC but takes a bit of playing around with settings to get something optimal.

But yes, not quite as good as PC keyboard and mouse as the devs typcially only consider controllers for console. However, still highly recommend it.

There's the problem... developers don't really think of TAC users.

I have a Hori TAC, just not the new one with the DOOM Eternal styling. Now I might have to hook mine up again. It worked not too badly with Hard Reset Redux, though I had trouble using it with Bulletstorm, in which case I gave up and just went back to using a DS4.

Let's hope that Sony starts pushing FPS developers to support K&M properly ala Modern Warfare '19. I'd like to see more console FPS allow full keyboards so you get one-key weapon swapping. When bringing FPS titles to PS4/XB1 and their successors, developers should think seriously about allowing TAC users to shut off that acceleration.

2 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

Only hard thing was Marauders. Those things are just annoying and kill the flow. For the rest it was enjoyable on the normal settings. But comparing with Doom 2016 it felt harder for sure

Best way to take out marauder is ballista and double barrel. Shoot with one, swap to other, repeat.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2020 at 10:23 AM, NekoRave said:

Just think theres nightmare mode

Played the first mission on Ultra Nightmare. Honestly wasn't impossible, got to the subway bit and baited the Arachnomech into the fireballs, was only a mistimed glory kill that made me fail 

45 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

Best way to take out marauder is ballista and double barrel. Shoot with one, swap to other, repeat.

This, so much this. Double barrel Ballista quickswap was by far the best advice in this game

Oh my god the Khan Maykr fight even on easy, I can barely even hit her once with the meat-hook blood punch you have to do. You have no ammo or health unless you can get precision hits on those drone things. I have everything maxed out, but you are just not given any resources while being absolutely hammered from every angle.

This game can be a lot of fun, but there are some absolutely ridiculous enemies. The first half of the campaign is great but now I don't even want to finish this, if I turn it to the lowest difficulty and can barely even damage her.

Doom 2016 was absolute fun and one of my favourite games of all time - but this is tedious, frustrating and at times just unfair.

Its not an easy game, i completed the campaign on hurt me plenty. Reviewers said that the campaign takes about 15 hours. I probebly did it in 30 or more. After a couple of hours i was drained from concentration. So played the game in 2h sessions more or less.

Edited by bartne

On 3/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, BlueDragonRR said:

Is this game that hard? Are the people saying this not used to playing FPS or play more cover FPS? No one is forcing you to play on higher difficulties. There isn't even a trophy for it.

i think whats throwing people off is that you cant just run and gun and expect a bunch of ammo and health to drop. it requires thought and a certain approach to the gameplay loop.

its like playing DMC and expecting spamming the same move will yield any results. you will have a hard time. 

doom eternal isnt hard. i played it on ultra violence and had no issues. only hard part was the final boss but even then, not that hard again. use your chainsaw, flamethrower and glory kills and you will make it easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

i think whats throwing people off is that you cant just run and gun and expect a bunch of ammo and health to drop. it requires thought and a certain approach to the gameplay loop.

its like playing DMC and expecting spamming the same move will yield any results. you will have a hard time. 

doom eternal isnt hard. i played it on ultra violence and had no issues. only hard part was the final boss but even then, not that hard again. use your chainsaw, flamethrower and glory kills and you will make it easy.

I was just wondering why people feel that way. I've played the first one so I'm more familiar with the combat approach. It's a bit more involved with the extra abilities and movement but the core mechanics are still there.