Advise for kid games

hsn963

It is a shame on the PS3 I could have recommend a bunch for you (mostly Move games).

What about games you could play together? Like LEGO games. That way you could do most of the stuff and he can play along. It is also LEGO so kids like that.

Also it allows you to share the hobby as opposed to a 1 player game where he is playing on his own (although LEGO can be played 1 player so he can still do it on his own when he gets better).

• Like 3

Usually kids games are meant to be played along side with an adult, with how much controls have advanced. Contrary to popular belief a game like Fortnite is not for kids, it's more a teen game even the PVE section.

A game like Journey, can help your son figure out the general idea of how the controler works, and it's also co-op if you want to play along side him.
For a true kids game with no adult supervision I would recommend something like Tetris Effect. Though I don't recommend it if you don't know or if you know that you child is epileptic. Tricky Towers is a good substitute. 
You can try a side scroller with one button attacks such as Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle or Castle Crashers.
Unravel or Trine series can help test your child's brain power, these game's are also co-op so you can play with your son if you want.

I'll see if can recommend some other games.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

Ratched & Clank. It is easy to learn and play, colorful and a lot of fun. A general tip from me, maybe do not buy your kid games like Super Kids Racing just because they have the word kid in it, typing the name of that game into youtube got me "Super Kids Racing, the worst game ever released on PS4." as the first result, and I didn't even have to see more than the thumbnail to understand why.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Until Dawn was a nice story (about friend bonding on a getaway trip); it has my recommendation.

For a 3-year old? You've got to be joking...

Personally, I'd say play co-op games with him like Littlebig planet or something like that where you can carry him through it, but he still contributes. I know Minecraft can be played at a young age too. I knew a 4-year old who loved it. You could play that with him too.

Also, I think simpler games are easier for kids to play (less inputs, they seem to struggle with using 2 analogue sticks at once) so maybe something like Celeste on assist mode, Street fighter anniversary collection, the Sega Genesis collection (play as tails/put in cheats), or maybe even something like Angry Birds would help. I played these Sega games when I was 3 so it should be feasible. Same for 2D fighting games.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

I recommend any LittleBigPlanet, Skylanders, or LEGO game. They're fun for all ages and can be played solo or co-op.

If you're going to go down the Skylanders route, though, be aware that it can get expensive. You'll want a starter kit that comes with a portal and at least two or three figures. If you have a PS3, you could start with Spyro's Adventure or Giants, but I'd recommend one of the newer games (Imaginators or SuperChargers). Be aware that Swap Force and Trap Team have legitimately hard platinums. I'm in my mid-30's and I struggled with them. ?

• Like 1

The games I played with my son when I was around that age were:

Lego Marvel Super Heroes and other Lego titles but mainly this one.

Plants v Zombies as you can do split screen on that, my 5 year old daughter loves this 

They enjoyed Need for Speed Most Wanted and Burnout paradise because it was an open world and no consequence for crashing they could just freely drive around.

Little Big Planet to an extent.

3D mini golf 

Party Golf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hsn963 said:

Downloaded a bunch of games for my son (3.5 yo), such as yooka lylee and super kids racing, but he's having a difficult time playing such games.

Any advice would be appreciated.

First ones hands down Skylanders. If you have a PS3 it's a plus, since some are only available on it. Fantastic games, can be played in coop so you'll have fun with him.

Disney Infinity, but you can't plat them, except the Vita one. Really fun games, online was junk, pity it had online trophies. Again can be co-op.

Any racing game that has a open world where he can just drive around having fun with nothing bad happening. Unfortunately there's nothing even remotely like Mario Kart on Sony consoles, but you won't regret it to get a Switch for that.

Yooka is very advanced for a plafformer. Try something like De Blob which is easier. Little Big Planet is not that appealing to kids. Racket and Clank  games arenot bad, but probably be still too difficult.

Movie tie-in games tend to be easy, but usually crappy, but he'll have fun anyway.

Unfortunately (or not...) Sony never had a clue about the infants and kids market for any of their consoles. Nintendo owns it.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

LEGO is always a solid go-to, especially since you can co-op to guide them and theres no real fail state but they do offer puzzles and challanges to figure out.

I never played the original MediEvil but after playing the remake I feel that's a good choice for children, it introduces them to many of the staples of gaming but the game itself is easy enough.

I'm sure Dreams could offer plenty as well but I haven't checked it out personally, just going by Twitch streamers on that one (and because its user generated content, it's worth looking into levels and monitoring)

• Like 1

Fortnite, Creative mode, I think it's called Battlegrounds now. It's meant to be a place where you can just practice/explore, but you have the entire island open with no enemies. It's quite fun to just run around messing around with the environment. There's no game overs, no other players, just the island to explore. There is guns though, and there's these grenades that can be used to spawn basic computer-controlled enemies or allies.

Definitely not the Battle Royale mode or Save the World though (though Save the World needs to be bought so that's blocked off).

Edit: The mode is called Battle Labs.

Edited by Caesar Clown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hsn963 said:

Downloaded a bunch of games for my son (3.5 yo), such as yooka lylee and super kids racing, but he's having a difficult time playing such games.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just get a Just Dance game. Doesn't matter if he's good the game, he'll have fun dancing around, especially if others join in. When he gets older, introduce him to Spyro. For coop games, introduce him to LEGO games. 

Edited by ArmoredSnowman
  • Like 1

My kid is 4 and getting a handle on any controllers for him has been a big struggle. He just can't coordinate yet. He asks to play everyone once in a while (mostly he asks to play Rayman on the PS Classic), but he just can't do much on his own and ends up just giving me the controller and asking me to play. I'm always in awe of kids who are 3 and are already playing video games.

I have a Nintendo Classic, SNES Classic and Playstation Classic. I'm letting him skip Atari, but he's gonna have to get through 8 bit and 16 bit before he gets anywhere near PS3, 4 or 5.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Or just play CTR, like I did as a child?

On my kids anniversaries a ton of other kids would come to our house. We had plenty of consoles and games, but there was always problems because ALL wanted to play on the N64 and Wii U (Mario Kart and Super Smash Brawl and its derivatives). After 10 mins no wanted any other consoles or games. That should give you an idea...

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

My kid is 4 and getting a handle on any controllers for him has been a big struggle. He just can't coordinate yet. He asks to play everyone once in a while (mostly he asks to play Rayman on the PS Classic), but he just can't do much on his own and ends up just giving me the controller and asking me to play. I'm always in awe of kids who are 3 and are already playing video games.

I have a Nintendo Classic, SNES Classic and Playstation Classic. I'm letting him skip Atari, but he's gonna have to get through 8 bit and 16 bit before he gets anywhere near PS3, 4 or 5.

I played my dad's NES when I was 3 years old and it was a pretty similar situation just handing the controller over. Loved Mario and castlevania though 

I can second the recommendation for Just Dance. Kids will have fun with that no matter how well they do.

My son's first game (when he was 5) was Knack. He liked it and it was a good game for introducing a lot of common platforming elements without being too difficult.

• Like 1