Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Xylobe

4 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Lol at all the dreamers thinking of massive studios that Sony could buy in retaliation. Sony are small fry compared to Microsoft. A $7 billion dollar purchase would be a considerable chunk of Sony's net worth, to Microsoft such a purchase is nothing. 

Exactly man ive got more chance of winning the lottery than Sony being able to afford massive deals like Microsoft did and even if they have the money the servers would be 6 months maybe a year if im being nice and they will be shutdown to save money lmao.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I’ve seen people declaring the PS5 dead just because of this news. Think they’re overreacting just a little bit. 

It's absolutely a huge blow to Sony if future Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Doom aren't on Sony consoles. I can see Microsoft putting them on Switch before they put them on PS5.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

It's absolutely a huge blow to Sony if future Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Doom aren't on Sony consoles. I can see Microsoft putting them on Switch before they put them on PS5.

Maybe, but I mean it's too early to freak out right now since we don't know what's going to happen exactly. I'm sure Microsoft and Bethesda don't fully know, either. The deal is going to be finalized next year. We might have a reason to later, but not right now. You can't declare PS5 DOA just because of this because there's a lot we don't know. 

• Like 1

No game will be solely exclusive to Xbox/GamePass.  Content/timed exclusivity maybe (Hell, probably), but no full exclusivity.  PlayStation version of games sells 2 to 1 over Xbox versions, sometimes more.  To give that up for a console they’ve been vocal about not really caring if people buy it or not is not good business at all.

Good job bolstering up GamePass, but I’ll still just pay $70 (or less, used) if I really want it on PS5.

Nothing to see here, folks...?

And here I thought waiting for Skyrim DLC to come to PS3 was bad.

13 hours ago, Golem25 said:

I own just one Bethesda game, which ironically I was cleaning up as the news broke; Dishonored. Been ploughing through Dunwall City Trials as best I can, and these awful, awful Trophies made me swear off ever supporting Arkane again.

I mean Dunwall City Trials is pretty bad to the point where it is probably not worth doing, but the rest of their body of games and trophy lists are fairly solid

8 hours ago, Bartolomeus said:

Hopefully the games will be published on PS5, but I probably won't buy an Xbox even if they're not. I loved Skyrim, but a new TES isn't enough to justify building a PC or buying an Xbox for me. I'll just mope in a corner playing something else if that's the case.

This, owning multiple consoles seems a bit outside my price range at the moment.

Edited by bikeman223

34 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Do people really think Bethesda will step up? Have you seen Halo?
I have little to no faith, if at all, this makes Pete and Todd richer, this is the hit of their lifes. 

Microsoft injects money, not talent or soul.

Reading the reactions of some of the XBox diehards, yeah.

Microsoft hasn’t had the best history for their acquisitions. If they change it, great for them, but I wouldn’t bet too heavily on it. 

2 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

No Skyrim re-release for PS5 then. 1f622.png

You can play it on just about anything else. No huge loss.

Edited by MidnightDragon

6 hours ago, peffsi said:

Sony is much more likely to buy smaller studios that they have history with. Bluepoint and Housemarque are likely candidates. 

Exactly. Sony’s strategy for its entire PlayStation lifecycle has been to build and invest in small studios. People complain about Sony exclusives but theres a difference between building studios like Naughty Dog and Insomniac for literal decades before a massive hit like Spiderman and Uncharted, and buying one of the biggest publishers in the industry responsible for many fan favourite series. Instead of being locked out of a new IP, we are now being locked out of massive titles that have an existing presence on PlayStation. 

Apparently those differing strategies are identical, but I see people blinded by the enticement of gamepass, or the desire for an actual reason to buy an xbox, to actually see how worrisome this move is. Sony will naturally retaliate, I speculate in the exact way you have mentioned, by buying Bluepoint and other small independent studios unlike an entire publisher. That has been their strategy the entire time, it may have looked to have failed in comparison to M$ snapping up studios so it now has double what Sony has, but this is a long con, and we can only see how gamepass and XSX performs to see if daddy MS will reach for their wallet for XGS again in the future.

• Like 3

I'm all for exclusive titles when they start as an exclusive specifically, but taking series that have been long played on other consoles and making them exclusive is just greedy as hell. Alot of people remember the backlash with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Bayonetta 2 when they became Nintendo Exclusives after spending time before on other consoles previously. It pissed off alot of people and a good chunk of fans didn't even bother picking them up because they couldn't continue to play them on their favourite system.

Todd Howard also can say whatever he wants but it's already been confirmed by Phil Spencer that they're only honouring the contracts currently in place. This is why games like Deathloop will still be a PlayStation timed exclusive. It also means other games in development like Elder Scrolls 6 may still come out on PlayStation as well but after that? He said it will be "a case by case basis" which puts it pretty clearly they are thinking of exclusives down the line already. And wether Bethesda wants to put games out on all systems or not, they won't get a say when it comes to this.

• Like 2

I don't think Sony has the resources to buy Square Enix, and frankly, them buying Insomniac was stupid, but perhaps they could try their hand at FromSoftware.

Back a decade and an half ago, when Oblivion was at the time exclusive, they tried to fight that with Demon's Souls, so it's kind of an interesting  cycle, From has three strong titles at their beck and call, and they could use the battle planners there to shake up their gameplay system on their various exclusives, something they struggled with this entire generation.

Also, Bloodborne 2 100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I'm all for exclusive titles when they start as an exclusive specifically, but taking series that have been long played on other consoles and making them exclusive is just greedy as hell. Alot of people remember the backlash with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Bayonetta 2 when they became Nintendo Exclusives after spending time before on other consoles previously. It pissed off alot of people and a good chunk of fans didn't even bother picking them up because they couldn't continue to play them on their favourite system.

Todd Howard also can say whatever he wants but it's already been confirmed by Phil Spencer that they're only honouring the contracts currently in place. This is why games like Deathloop will still be a PlayStation timed exclusive. It also means other games in development like Elder Scrolls 6 may still come out on PlayStation as well but after that? He said it will be "a case by case basis" which puts it pretty clearly they are thinking of exclusives down the line already. And wether Bethesda wants to put games out on all systems or not, they won't get a say when it comes to this.

Case by case basis?

Ok... Elder Scrolls and Fallout were buggy on PlayStation systems, let's keep them on Xbox.

Wolfenstein and Doom remain multiplatform. xDxDxD

Can't even understand why they bought Zenimax, most of their titles probably sell more on the PC and xBox combined than on Sony's consoles. But it does make a big change and if the likely further purchases down the road that have been touted come up, they can change the market a lot. They know how to sell subscription services and the advantages of that, so all their moves will be towards that, and they've been successful until now even with a smaller console base.

Sony can talk a lot about exclusives but the sad truth for them is that of 20 most sold titles for the PS4, only 5 are exclusives. If we look at the games market as a whole probably 100 titles will have more than 75% of the sales, and the vast majority are not exclusives. Well, there's many but they're more Nintendo exclusives, but they're on a different reality compared to Sony or Microsoft... Sony think they're the king of the hill, and that can come down hard. Unfortunately they never learn and never will, this has cost them too many markets, this could be the next. They could be a much smarter company, but they don't give a crap about that, just the same arrogant sobs that have been for the past 40 years.

If I was Microsoft I would buy EA and Take Two, and even Activision, and then Sony wouldn't be in a good position at all. They have the money and power to do it, they just need to want it.

And AMD (and nVidia) is in Microsoft's pocket, not that Sony could choose from many places for their needs, but wasn't the smartest choice either.

Frankly, could not care less which one wins, as long as it's the better deal for me.

Edited by cris3f

Bethesda games will be appearing on game pass, no doubt about it. M$ has already said that people will be getting every first party game through game pass on day one. They don't need them to be exclusive to game pass or Xbox, if people want to buy them for $70 on PS5 they'll be able to, most likely. Microsoft's strategy is to build the best ecosystem and attract players through great deals like game pass and quality-of-life features like full backwards competibility and xcloud. Will it work for them? We'll see. They already have the math behind game pass. Surprising or not, they're making money on it. With this deal they can boost the number of subscribers.

I'm gonna miss Elder Scrolls and Arkane Titles. 

Never cared about Fallout and the last two weren't really good from what I heared. 

Doom and Rage are fun shooters, but it's not the end in the world to not have them. 

Wolfenstein just like Fallout got worse with each new title. They could become good again like Doom but who knows. 

Never cared for Tango games since I avoid horror games. 

But yeah.... Elder Scrolls not on Playstation sucks. And the Dishonored series and Prey are some very special games. The only other one that is kind of similar to that is Deus Ex but Square put that on hold and created that marvel cashgrab crap. 

20 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Well that was unexpected

Prepare for the next elder scrolls to be PC/Xbox exclusive

You know most of the bigger titles are still coming to all consoles right lol? Get real its pretty must been said plus this is a gamepass move! Just if you want to play on other consoles pay 70 but on gamepass its free ..Thats all this move is no worries! But yes, the smaller titles will be xbox ex. But not the bigger ones! This is a business at the end of teh day 

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I don't think Sony has the resources to buy Square Enix, and frankly, them buying Insomniac was stupid, but perhaps they could try their hand at FromSoftware.

Back a decade and an half ago, when Oblivion was at the time exclusive, they tried to fight that with Demon's Souls, so it's kind of an interesting  cycle, From has three strong titles at their beck and call, and they could use the battle planners there to shake up their gameplay system on their various exclusives, something they struggled with this entire generation.

Also, Bloodborne 2 100%

What about the latest surprise, Black Myth Wukong, it looks pretty good for an indie studio and is on the same genre.

I know it hasn’t come out yet, but, that makes their value lower than if the game releases and it’s a big hit. Investment decisions.

2 hours ago, SasquatchSaul said:

What a bizarre take, intense monopolisation of the entire third party industry does not equal a better deal for any customer. 

Also could they even legally buy out the entire third party industry? Surely there are limits to how much of the pie you can have?

Edited by bikeman223

3 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I've never seen anyone say the Insomniac purchase was "stupid" before.

It was a smart move, and long overdue. It was relatively cheap, because Sony already owns most of the IP Insomniac had worked on. That studio is also efficient and capable of putting out quality games at a good pace. Thanks to them, we have Miles Morales coming out soon, with Ratchet following within a few months. And I'm sure they're very hard at work on Spider-Man 2.

If Sony bought Japanese publishers like Square/Capcom (which I think is very unlikely), I'd anticipate incredible outrage from Nintendo fans. At least it'd be entertaining, for me.