Sony is abandoning the PS Vita stores...

mvpeast

6 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Look on the bright side, folks... now lots of people will finally have ample opportunity to make "PlayStation Morta" jokes.

30a1205a2179335f63832aa60b77583b95281721

(...Wait, what do you mean people have been doing that for years already?)

Morte*

Vita means Life (lol), Morte means Death, Morta means Dead xD

• Like 1

I tried the PS3 console store the other day and all the Vita games can be bought from there. I don't know if anything is missing but it looked fine to me. 

The Vita store is a joke,

BTW you can still access the old PS webstore from this link: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/home/games?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp

You may want to change the "en-gb" depending on your language/region unless it auto changes for you. That link is for English, Great Britain (UK).

Does anyone have a list of free Vita games for the EU region? I accidentally found a free game on the Vita store the other day - Pox Nora - that I was able to download and install. Are there any more? The reason I ask is that they don't display on the link above when viewing all games and then selecting Price: Low to High. I'm pretty certain they don't on the PS3 either.

I only got my Vita in August this year, second hand, and I have to say, I absolutely love it.

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 2

Thankfully most PSVita games are crossbuy or have been ported elsewhere (like Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden etc.) but for the few games that are left, it'll become increasingly hard to ever play them. Such a sad death for a portable which was legitimately really good.

I know I wouldn't want to buy a Vita and have to then navigate the absolutely abysmal on-system Vita store to find anything worth playing, especially when so many games never got physical releases at all, or only in certain regions, or only in very small capacities. 

Yo Sony, at least port Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Muramasa Rebirth (especially this since it never got an EU physical card) and Freedom Wars to PS4 or something, losing any of those would be a pretty big loss.

• Like 2

I really hope a day where I cant even download the games that I bought never comes. I dont know the costs, but is it so expensive and hard to keep the games on the new web store, on a legacy area? Or to just do maintenance on the ones from PS3 and Vita? Navigating through the PS3 one is a very poor experience, and recently there was even a very bad bug on the Vita one.

And you cant even try to download as much games as possible and dump them into a SD card, because Sony had the brilliant idea of only letting you use the overpriced memory card that you cant find anywhere nowadays, maybe on China and thats it.

But all this comes without surprise. Sony made everything in their power to make the Vita a failed product, and in the end gave free pass on the handheld market to Nintendo and smartphones. Maybe someone inside the company thought that this market was not profitable enough, and tried to focus on home consoles instead. Another thing that is hard to understand and is ther reluctance with backwards compatibility.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shizo said:

I am wondering, why Sony is so bad when it comes to continuity and supporting old stuff? Xbox not only added Xbox 360 support to Xbox One, but is pretty much committed to maintaining backwards and forwards compatibility. You can buy games from Xbox OG, 360 era and play them on your Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S without any problems. You don't even have to buy digital games if you have disc. Just pop it in and it will authenticate it and will allow you to download your old games for free.

Vita hardware is so simple, that even base PS4 can emulate it beyond full speed, let alone PS4 Pro or PS5. I guess we have to expect them to sell us PS2 Digital Copies once again. I am really disappointed with Sony during this cycle. Seems like they switched with Microsoft again. Sony was arrogant as fuck before PS3 launch and Microsoft was much better when it came to service and games. Then Microsoft went to shit with Don Matrick before Xbox One launch and Sony got pro-consumer, now roles are switched once again.

As a person who bought both PS5 and Xbox Series X, I don't see myself playing anything but exclusives on my PS5 and use Series X for everything else. PS5 is powerful enough to emulate PS1, PS2, PS3 and Vita games. It's just Sony doesn't want to and would rather sell "HD Remasters" few more times for old games.

It’s unfortunate but there’s nothing we can do as players.

2 hours ago, Shizo said:

I am wondering, why Sony is so bad when it comes to continuity and supporting old stuff? Xbox not only added Xbox 360 support to Xbox One, but is pretty much committed to maintaining backwards and forwards compatibility. You can buy games from Xbox OG, 360 era and play them on your Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S without any problems. You don't even have to buy digital games if you have disc. Just pop it in and it will authenticate it and will allow you to download your old games for free.

Vita hardware is so simple, that even base PS4 can emulate it beyond full speed, let alone PS4 Pro or PS5. I guess we have to expect them to sell us PS2 Digital Copies once again. I am really disappointed with Sony during this cycle. Seems like they switched with Microsoft again. Sony was arrogant as fuck before PS3 launch and Microsoft was much better when it came to service and games. Then Microsoft went to shit with Don Matrick before Xbox One launch and Sony got pro-consumer, now roles are switched once again.

As a person who bought both PS5 and Xbox Series X, I don't see myself playing anything but exclusives on my PS5 and use Series X for everything else. PS5 is powerful enough to emulate PS1, PS2, PS3 and Vita games. It's just Sony doesn't want to and would rather sell "HD Remasters" few more times for old games.

All Jim Ryan cares about is the bottom line, making sheer profits at the expense of everything else.

As a history lesson for those of you too young to remember, Sony was begging their playerbase to stick with them after the May 2011 PSN shutdown which exposed their entire network. Sony was practically playing catch up for several years during the PS3/360 generation after how badly the PS3 was doing at launch. Xbox 360 had the best online service with the best variety of games, for the money you paid per month, Xbox Live Gold membership was completely worth the cost. I had a lot of great fun playing Halo 3 and Red Dead Redemption 1 back in the day with friends on the 360.

Nowadays I'm sort of going to old PS3/Vita games because I don't know how much longer they will be available for purchase. After Uncharted 2 & Uncharted 3 got server shutdown, there is practically no PS3 or Vita game anymore that is really safe. Even games like Mortal Kombat X on the PS4 have been getting the axe, if I was doing those invasions and I find I couldn't do them due to server problems I have every right to be pissed off at WB Games, especially when they made no fucking notification beforehand. Mad Max got server shutdown and soon it will be Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I guess Mortal Kombat X is fitting since that was also published by WB.

As I've done since the PS2 generation, I will wait a year for a good offering of games before I will consider the PS5. There is literally only two pages worth of PS5 games listed on this website, and that is simply not enough. I'm not buying a PS5 just to play old games that originally released on the PS3 and PS4 consoles. I can buy a hundred indies worth playing on the PS4, right now I'm content with what I have.

Even if I absolutely wanted the PS5 right now, I'm dead broke, and COVID-19 makes it next to impossible for me to find any steady job in these trying times.

"Then Microsoft went to shit with Don Matrick before Xbox One launch and Sony got pro-consumer, now roles are switched once again."

AB-SO-FUCKING-LUTELY. You hit the nail on the fucking head with this @Shizo.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

It will, I just hope it lasts a bit longer.

Let's be real here, the Vita was a massive failure so its death is inevitable as a failed game handheld.  There were a lot of problems with the Vita like the touch rearpad and other problems. Plus overprice memory cards and limited space. So while I like the Vita, it was a massive flop and failed to beat the Nintendo 3DS. So the Vita stores closing is inevitabloe and we need to learn to accept it and move on.

Edit: Also, I find it funny that you keep blaming Jim Ryan for everything. Like what is your beef against him though? If you claim he and the executes at Sony don't play games, then they wouldn't be working at a game company.

Edited by Alantor32

On 11/28/2020 at 7:30 PM, Alantor32 said:

Let's be real here, the Vita was a massive failure so its death is inevitable as a failed game handheld.  There were a lot of problems with the Vita like the touch rearpad and other problems. Plus overprice memory cards and limited space. So while I like the Vita, it was a massive flop and failed to beat the Nintendo 3DS. So the Vita stores closing is inevitabloe and we need to learn to accept it and move on.

While I like the OLED screen, the rear pad and the camera are unnecessary gimmicks that should've been ditched to cut costs in hopes of lowering the launch price. For a portable, I'm sure there are some who thought $250 was a bit too much. Getting it down to $199 could have helped. The mobile market did it no favors. Nintendo's 3DS did catch some heat from the mobile market also, but a price drop helped save it.

Nintendo did the right thing using regular mSDXC cards on the Switch. You can get good deals there... they thankfully refused to repeat one of Sony's key mistakes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DragovianLord89 said:

Hey guys, will we see Christmas deals? If not, probably I'll explode...

Nope, PS3 games don’t go on sale anymore and you’ll only get the odd cross buy title here and there for the Vita. In the current end of year sale, Mighty No.9 is the only PS3 game on sale (but it’s also a PS4 game so doesn’t really count).

• Like 1