Ideas for the next Assassin's Creed setting

DJ_Murda_Murk

Out of boredom today I was brainstorming some ideas I thought would work for the next Assassin's Creed game setting.  Just curious to see what other ideas you all might have for them.  Below in no particular order are some I thought of.  My history knowledge isn't great so forgive me if some facts or dates aren't accurate. 

1. Ancient Mexico/South America:  I put these two together since they are a bit similar in terms of what they would bring.  16th century invasion by the Spainish conquistadors feels like an easy setup for AC villains although im not sure there was large enough architecture for he city crawling parkour that is the game staple.

2. Ancient Africa:  I don't know to much about African history but I can imagine Timbuktu being an amazing locale for the next game.  Very interesting cultures and landscapes could make for a very interesting game.

3. Japan:  I know we have all been hoping for this since the first game.  I mean Assassin's Creed: Ronin just sounds perfect.  I doubt it will happen because for some reason Ubisoft refuses to give us what we want lol.

4. Ancient China:  Another we have all been clamoring for since early in the series and it just feels like we will never get it. 

5. Late 18th Century/Early 19th Century Russia: This is based mostly off the fact I feel like Rasputin is the picture perfect AC bad guy.  Not to mention Russia has some unique architecture that would look great. 

6. 15th century Romania/Eastern Europe:  Again this one is based mostly on the point that I think Vlad the Impaler would make a great bad guy for AC.  Gothic architecture again would be awesome to add to the game.

7. Civil War era America:  If they want to go back to the United States this is the time I could see working.  It unfortunately deals with a lot of touchy subjects and Ubisoft would probably rather just avoid it. 

8.  Post apocalyptic Civilization:  This is one I don't really see happening but I thought would be an interesting way to bring AC to a more modern time while being able to keep most combat to melee. 

38 minutes ago, DJ_Murda_Murk said:

I think Vlad the Impaler would make a great bad guy for AC.

Vlad the Impaler, from what I've read, was actually a kind and benevolent ruler to his own people. It was those who attempted to threaten their security and way of life that he impaled. I could easily see him on the side of the Assassins.

• Like 2

I think they could do something with Prussia and Frederick the great since that would feel much more like the older games up to Unity. I also wouldnt mind to play an assassin in old Spain or Russia 

But personally I would love to have something set in the Roman Empire. The time period doesn't really matter but I'd prefer it to be some time after Origins

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Murda_Murk said:

3. Japan:  I know we have all been hoping for this since the first game.  I mean Assassin's Creed: Ronin just sounds perfect.  I doubt it will happen because for some reason Ubisoft refuses to give us what we want lol.

Ghost of Tsushima would make this effectively redundant, IMHO.

Edited by cckerberos

44 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Vlad the Impaler, from what I've read, was actually a kind and benevolent ruler to his own people. It was those who attempted to threaten their security and way of life that he impaled. I could easily see him on the side of the Assassins.

He was a Templar, a couple of the games make mention of it.

The Russia one is already a game, Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia. It's based off their first comic book series. Some of the others on the list are in comics and novels as well (including the US Civil War). That post-apocalyptic world could work if it's set shortly after the destruction of the Isu civilization.

I know World War II has been done to death and beyond but I could see the Assassins working as spies against the Nazis.

Plus the bonus of a chance to take out Hitler and his cronies AC style.

I have two settings I would like to see, one is the Bushranger era in Australia and the other being the Wild West era. I think these can be some pretty cool settings for a AC game, plus a whole bunch of historical characters you could meet and possibly team up with. 

I might be the only one, but what I want is a modern time setting.

I want all this modern arc to be finished and gone.

Finish it, let the Assassins or Abstergo win. 

And after that, stop releasing games with a modern part in it at all.

By now most things that made the modern story at least a bit interesting are gone.

There's no bleeding effect for the main character, you don't have to be an ancestor of the person anymore, just get some DNA and you can be whoever you want to be.

• Like 1

I really want them to try the Hitman-approach, give us smaller maps, a target and a tight 3-4 hour story with a new character for each episode, let us see Assassins or Templars that may not deserve or need a whole game at their prime, and flesh out the timeline alot. 

Edited by LOL_Jokke97
Grammar

On 04/01/2021 at 2:58 PM, DJ_Murda_Murk said:

1. Ancient Mexico/South America:  I put these two together since they are a bit similar in terms of what they would bring.  16th century invasion by the Spainish conquistadors feels like an easy setup for AC villains although im not sure there was large enough architecture for he city crawling parkour that is the game staples.

This would be very cool. Tenochtitlan should be big enough for some decent parkour. Or they could do the reverse, you play as Templars / Spaniards. 

Eastern empires would be great but Ubisoft haven't gone East past Syria in the main Assasin's creed games. 

In Origins they did Egypt but it was set in Ptolomaic period so there was heavy Greek and Roman influence at that time.

Based on the pattern of Western civilizations I suspect it will be Imperial Rome. Most likely when Rome is at the height of its power and most major landmarks are built (Coliseum). If they do Rome I think it will be around 100AD.

Russian Revolution or Rasputin era sounds like it would work well. I'm not interested in Japan/Far East - too many other games cover that. Although Vikings are covered in many games too, and Valhalla is excellent.

Eventually they will run out of time periods. One of the best was the very first. Jerusalem, Damascus, Acre have so much potential. It would get to see a reworking of AC for modern tech. Altair was a great protagonist and the era was amazing for Knights Templar, all sorts of stuff going on. The holy grail and the ark of the covenant could be included in there. Definitely it deserves another go. After all it was that very first game that got me hooked, despite its flaws.

4 hours ago, LOL_Jokke97 said:

I really want them to try the Hitman-approach, give us smaller maps, a target and a tight 3-4 hour story with a new character for each episode, let us see Assassins or Templars that may not deserve or need a whole game at their prime, and flesh out the timeline alot. 

I originally came here to say "modern times, modern assassins", but I like this answer a lot more.

My country - Portugal - and, in particular, the wonderful city of Lisbon. Portugal is old and full of history; it would be great seeing it portrayed in a game. That Lisbon section of Rogue was sweet, but too small.

Most European cities are gorgeous. Being able to play in Paris was awesome; I really loved Unity.

It’s a shame that Chronicles was just a trilogy. Apparently, it’s not very popular among players, but, personally, I really love those three games and I would love more Chronicles games, set in different places of the world. There are so many interesting cultures to be explored and that would look beautiful in the art style Chronicles uses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve always wanted to see an AC game set in Ancient Japan, and now that I’m playing Ghost of Tsushima I’m itching more than ever for a chance to explore this beautiful and fascinating time period again. Or anything at all that feels similar and is set in one of the ancient Eastern historical periods in Asia.

I agree that China would also be a fantastic setting. That whole part of the world just has such a deep and rich history spanning thousands of years, with powerful empires rising and falling, ancient royal dynasties, bloody feuds, and legendary warriors and battles that have stood the test of time. There are endless amounts of possibilities to be explored.

The other idea I’ve had for a long time is to see an Assassin’s Creed game set in modern times. If not present day, then preferably something during the 20th century at least, incorporating modern weapons, technology, and geopolitical conflicts into the backdrop of the Assassin/Templar conflict. It would be an ambitious project, and potentially flip the series on it’s head in many ways (ie. introducing firearms and gunplay into the combat system), so I’m not entirely sure what it would look like.

But who knows... maybe it would work. At the very least I think it’s a cool idea that could really breathe some new life into this great series, which has long suffered from staleness and a lack of innovation and ideas.