Possibly Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to PS.

Riztopher

I doubt this is happening, but I could see Microsoft justify it by introducing their big IP to a new player base. If people like it a lot, they may want to enter the Xbox ecosystem.

That said, I would be shocked to see this on PS4/5, but this is coming from someone who never though Horizon would be on PC, so anything is possible.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

The face of Microsoft on PlayStation? Doubt.

Despite being a HUGE fan of Bungie's Halo games, I still wouldn't buy this Day 1 even if it was true because 343 have bungled literally everything they've touched in ways that no other devs seem to be able to do. Is MCC still getting updates to make it run properly? Terribly put together collection of incredible games.

This is like having the Mario 3D All-Stars Collection being released on PS4. I highly doubt that Microsoft's flagship game series will reach their competitor's console. Halo is one of the big reasons that XBOX was, and still is, purchased. If they tossed Halo games over to PS as well, Microsoft would be killing any sales they might've had. However, given some of their recent moves (trying to double the price of XBOX Live Gold), I wouldn't be surprised if they hurt themselves further.

This new way to play the Master Chief Collection is likely either a new store on PC, like the Epic Games Store, or on a console like Google Stadia / Switch.

I hope this move (if true) doesn't hurt XBOX's sales because it might make Sony more complacent in the long run. On the flip side, maybe more people fall in love with Halo and buy an XBOX to play Halo Infinite. Who knows?

Trying the Halo games would be cool though, not gonna lie.

Edited by ResoluteRock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Though really, I wish something existed like a retron5 but for current GEN. Just have 1 console hooked up to tv instead of 4 lol. It'll never happen obvs. MS/Nintendo/Sony all love their exclusives. 

wait a few years (more like 10) and it will be possible lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

The face of Microsoft on PlayStation? Doubt.

Despite being a HUGE fan of Bungie's Halo games, I still wouldn't buy this Day 1 even if it was true because 343 have bungled literally everything they've touched in ways that no other devs seem to be able to do. Is MCC still getting updates to make it run properly? Terribly put together collection of incredible games.

It still does get regular updates.

• Like 2

I can easily see this happening, Xbox cares about getting their content into as many peoples homes as possible, same strategy Amazon does, such as selling their Kindle’s for next to no profit, just so they have people on their platform. 

Xbox doesn’t really care for consoles anymore, they’re way more consumer friendly with their content & PC Players are having the time of their lives with stuff like Game Pass, Xbox games coming to steam, PlayStation games coming to Steam: e.g. Horizon, Detroit: Become Human, and most importantly Death Stranding.

Microsoft has been around for a long time and if they’re going to put it onto Sony’s consoles they’ve thought it out. This would be good for everyone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Riztopher said:

I saw this article and read it and it's pretty vague but what other platforms would they even be talking about, unless it's the switch via cloud. I seen a lot of people on twitter talking about it too. https://gamerant.com/343-industries-halo-master-chief-collection-new-platform-february-2021/amp/?__twitter_impression=true I'm a huge Halo fan and have almost competed the entire series on Xbox and would love to see it come to PlayStation. I don't think they'd release Halo 5 or Infinite but I do think it's plausible for MCC. 

I don't know how trophies would work considering MCC on Steam and Xbox has over 700 Achievements equivalent to 7,000 Gamerscore.

Well we never know but I am almost 100% sure that will never happen, I think that is more possible to happen on the Switch than on Playstation. 

• Like 1

I think reading that announcement as an indication that Halo might come to Playstation is like saying 2+2=a Grand Piano.

I just don’t see it.

The only way it would benefit MS, would be if it was getting Xbox Play Anywhere software on Playstation - and Sony would sooner burn their headquarters to the ground than allow that.

“New Platforms” could be anything. It could be Stadia. It could be Apple TV, it could be different streaming services, or different storefronts or even Switch, via streaming.

Even that seems unlikely, but not as wildly improbable as Microsoft giving the only exclusive that actually drives people to their ecosystem on their primary (and currently more successful) competitors platform.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Why would Microsoft put it's biggest exclusive franchise and biggest system seller on their biggest competitors system? That makes no sense. If it were to go to a competitor console, it would go to the Switch. The two companies already have a good working relationship. Even just putting it on the Epic games store would make more sense.

Well, playing devils advocate for a moment (I also don’t think it’ll come to PS), getting PS players involved in the Halo franchise would make sense from a financial perspective, more sales, and may encourage PS4 players to get a series X for Infinite.

The title made me do a double take. I have my doubts.

I actually already played through the original Halo trilogy on my brother's Xbox ages ago, and didn't particularly enjoy them (although the multiplayer seemed quite good). Would still like to see it happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Well, playing devils advocate for a moment (I also don’t think it’ll come to PS), getting PS players involved in the Halo franchise would make sense from a financial perspective, more sales, and may encourage PS4 players to get a series X for Infinite.

If that was the plan, it’s not a good one.

Any player who is aware enough of gaming in general, enough to know they want to play these old Halo games, made their mind up about getting an Xbox to play them already and either did it, or didn’t a decade ago - or any time inbetween.

On the flip side, any player who is not up on the wider gaming community, and who might just pick up a Playstation version of The Masterchief collection on a whim, and enjoys it, is not likely to buy a Series X to play the newer games - they are much more likely to just start complaining about how “the early games are on Playstation, why aren’t the new ones?” - resulting in nothing but sour grapes and negative chatter about both platforms.

Yeahhhhh I'll believe this when I see it. Just seems to hard to believe. 

I only played very little of the original Halo back in the day (and I think a little of another one). If this actually happens, I'd probably give it a go. Though I hear the Achievements are insanely hard to get all of, and the series is very Online-centric, so both of those are a major turn off already. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Any player who is aware enough of gaming in general, enough to know they want to play these old Halo games, made their mind up about getting an Xbox to play them already and either did it, or didn’t a decade ago - or any time inbetween.

On the flip side, any player who is not up on the wider gaming community, and who might just pick up a Playstation version of The Masterchief collection on a whim, and enjoys it, is not likely to buy a Series X to play the newer games - they are much more likely to just start complaining about how “the early games are on Playstation, why aren’t the new ones?” - resulting in nothing but sour grapes and negative chatter about both platforms.

Eh, I mean, it could be one of those, "franchises you've heard of but never played" deals. Or you've only played Halo 1, which by now is very old, like me. There's definitely the possibility of it creating more brand awareness on Playstation.

24 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The fact is, nobody will pick up a PlayStation for old halo games, but if MS have faith in the franchise, players who are deciding over which next gen console to get might be swayed towards Xbox for Infinite if they like the collection after playing on PS4 (and let’s face it, Halo is the only real system seller they have and they don’t want it to fall from the mainstream gamer consciousness). As I said, I don’t think it will happen, but if it does then the main complaints will be why Sony doesn’t give it away in their subscription service “for free” like MS do , and will with all their games. The answer in this case would be than MS would never allow it on Now.

• Like 1

I'll believe it when I see it. It'd get sales i guess, I'd probably buy it for a start, playstation stalwarts picking it up to play when they might have only played it with a friend 10 years ago. They don't want sales though do they, they want subs to gamepass so I just don't see it.

12 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Why would Microsoft put it's biggest exclusive franchise and biggest system seller on their biggest competitors system? That makes no sense. If it were to go to a competitor console, it would go to the Switch. The two companies already have a good working relationship. Even just putting it on the Epic games store would make more sense.

Because no one is buying an xbox to play a game that was released 20 years ago. 

Many PS players however would buy a collection. 

Halo was one of my favourite series during my childhood and of all time. It would be awesome to see it on PSN, but I'm amongst many that wouldn't believe it until it actually happens since its one of Xbox's most valuable exclusives. Halo MCC have 700 achievements worth 7000 score so with that being on PSN would break the trophy limit

I see people acting like this doesn't make sense for MS. Firstly MS lives like everything does. Halo maybe synonymous with Xbox but I am guessing a huge number of players like me have been loyal to PlayStation but have always been curious about halo. Essentially a huge amount of players would buy this. This is also meaningless for halo 6 and 7 or whatever if those are exclusives for 20 years you will have to play them on Xbox anyway. This could weirdly encourage people to get Xbox when the next halo comes out if it gets rave reviews.

Also master chief is not comparable to Mario. He is more Nathan drake and I wouldn't care if he showed up on another console as long as I still got to play it. Keep your grubby mitts off ratchet MS.

On 08/02/2021 at 9:03 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Eh, I mean, it could be one of those, "franchises you've heard of but never played" deals. Or you've only played Halo 1, which by now is very old, like me. There's definitely the possibility of it creating more brand awareness on Playstation.

Also this a lot. Collections this old raise brand awareness they won't hurt MS or sony.

• Like 2

It wouldn't bother me because I don't think much to Halo, but maybe all this time those chain messages back on PS3 were right and that's the true reason it might happen ;) 'send this to all your friends and Halo will come to PS' etc. etc. xD

There's a couple XBox exclusives I'd love to see on PS, so if it's a kind of trend then I'm hoping for those one day, but Halo... 'meh', just another indentity-less shooty bang bang game.

XBox are totally going down this kind of path so it's definitely plausible even if these are their poster boys. What I'd be more shocked to see (and I'd also much rather see) are Nintendos flagship games making their way onto PS. I don't own any modern Nintendo consoles but I'd love to play the likes of Mario Odyssey and the newer Pokemon for example.

• Like 1

not interested in the series but if it somehow comes to the ps4 i'll sure gonna check it out, i remember reading an article about halo the master chief collection was in fact due planned to get's a ps4 release back then that was supposed to comes alone side the PC release but one of the higher ups at Xbox Studio scrapped the idea, don't really know if that's true, if they really planning on releasing halo series as a multiplatform it would be stupid of Microsoft to not consider a ps4/ps5 release, sony consoles wise have the biggest userbase after PC and the mobile devices.

let's just say they're planning a switch Cloud Version of the collection as people claim, i'm pretty sure more people would ask for a digital or a physical release on the playstation platforms, as the switch natively probably won't gonna able to run the collection without the cloud.