Sony files patent to unlock trophies through emulation

SnowxSakura

6 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

Wonder if this means they have plans for the PS5.5 to have PS3 compatibility? Sure would be nice to finally retire my PS3 and continue to work on PS3 trophies on future gen consoles.

Or it could be PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility on PS5. PS3 I just can't see because of how complex PS3 is. 

15 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

That looks like the same patent Sony filed before the PS4 was released that was eventually used for PS2-on-PS4 games

You are right, because it is the same patent, just revised. It's actually stated right at the very beginning of the document. The original patent submission is from 2016.

• Like 4

This is a revised patent, so nothing new here.

My guess is that it is for PS Now PS3 games, those games are emulated on a virtual machine and since they have the code base for the trophy list it becomes pretty easy to compare the addresses between the trophies unlocked in the emulated game and the trophy list on Sony side. Also the first time this patent appeared it mentioned networking and cloud based services, which is the core concept of PS Now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

You are right, because it is the same patent, just revised. It's actually stated right at the very beginning of the document. The original patent submission is from 2016.

42 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

It has also been patented even earlier. This article is from 2013. 

There was also a thread about the filing that was just approved when it was first filed in 2020. It was straight up stated then that the point to was renew the patent, with a dev pointing out it was the same 'PS2 to PS3/4' thing.

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Or it could be PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility on PS5. PS3 I just can't see because of how complex PS3 is. 

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

Wonder if this means they have plans for the PS5.5 to have PS3 compatibility? Sure would be nice to finally retire my PS3 and continue to work on PS3 trophies on future gen consoles.

Yeah, I'd love to have a 3-in1 PS5, since I rarely ever turn on my PS3. Besides, if indie devs can make their own emulator, RPCS3, for PS3 games, I see no reason Sony couldn't do so as well. They could easily apply the emulator to the PS5, or work in conjunction with the RPCS3 team, to bring PS3 games to PS5 -- especially considering they have 1,890 playable games using the emulator. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Yeah, I'd love to have a 3-in1 PS5, since I rarely ever turn on my PS3. Besides, if indie devs can make their own emulator, RPCS3, for PS3 games, I see no reason Sony couldn't do so as well. They could easily apply the emulator to the PS5, or work in conjunction with the RPCS3 team, to bring PS3 games to PS5 -- especially considering they have 1,890 playable games using the emulator. 

I had really hoped that this was what PS5 was going to be from the start - a one stop shop for all things PlayStation.

The one single factor that would motivate me to run out to buy a PS5 immediately was if it had the ability to play all my PS4/PS3 games. So I hope this becomes reality! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmperorZetta said:

I'm still disappointed that the PS2 on PS4 thing didn't fully pan out. I would have loved the opportunity to replay and get plats on Liberty/Vice City Stories and Legaia 2.

Same here, spent ages hoping the Stories games would come back.

I know it's a long shot but I really hope Sony does an Xbox One style rollout of backwards compatible games for PS5, even if it's gradual I'd still love it.

6 hours ago, EmperorZetta said:

I'm still disappointed that the PS2 on PS4 thing didn't fully pan out. I would have loved the opportunity to replay and get plats on Liberty/Vice City Stories and Legaia 2.

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind replaying TMNT or Monsters Inc. 

11 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

It has also been patented even earlier. This article is from 2013. 

This is nothing new.

How do you guys think, the PS2 Games like GTA San Andreas work on PS4 with Trophys?

My hope really is, that they kinda update the system to make it easier and cheaper for developers to add trophys to PS2 games.

There was a article back in the day with developers saying, that it takes them a month to add trophy’s to old PS2 classic games, to release them on PS4.

That‘s why the PS2 classic program never really went anywhere.

I‘m still glad at least, that Rockstar Games committed to the program hard on the beginning & gave us the GTA trilogy & Bully for example on the PS4 with trophy support.

Even Sony itself didn‘t release much on it sadly.

I always hoped for God of War 1&2 with trophy support on PS4 (especially 2016-2017, with 3 Remastered already being out and the new God of War that was coming in 2018).

I‘m for this 100%.

Make the PSN kinda like a big network (like Steam).

Put as much PS1 & PS2 games re-released on there with Trophy Support as possible, that work across all newer platforms (like the PS2 classic titles on PS4 also work on PS5). 

Edited by Jeffboy265
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BKnocheese said:

Does this mean I can finally get trophies for Chrono Trigger? 1f440.png

I pray that this can happen. I honestly would hope for a complete remake of the game but knowing how SE play their cards now is highly unlikely. But God, would be wonderful to get trophies for that jewel! Also, what about the AC OG game (for X360 it featured... but Sony hadn't implemented the trophy system at that time) and GH3: LoR. I would be more than glad to see those with trophies!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jeffboy265 said:

This is nothing new.

How do you guys think, the PS2 Games like GTA San Andreas work on PS4 with Trophys?

My hope really is, that they kinda update the system to make it easier and cheaper for developers to add trophys to PS2 games.

There was a article back in the day with developers saying, that it takes them a month to add trophy’s to old PS2 classic games, to release them on PS4.

That‘s why the PS2 classic program never really went anywhere.

I‘m still glad at least, that Rockstar Games committed to the program hard on the beginning & gave us the GTA trilogy & Bully for example on the PS4 with trophy support.

Even Sony itself didn‘t release much on it sadly.

I always hoped for God of War 1&2 with trophy support on PS4 (especially 2016-2017, with 3 Remastered already being out and the new God of War that was coming in 2018).

I‘m for this 100%.

Make the PSN kinda like a big network (like Steam).

Put as much PS1 & PS2 games re-released on there with Trophy Support, that work across all newer platforms (like the PS2 classic titles on PS4 also work on PS5). 

That right , it should make ps1 and ps2 support ps4 or ps5 with trophy and for the ps3 make more game in playstation now 

This sounds cool and all but in the meantime Sony seriously needs to introduce PlayStation Now to more countries. Right now Microsoft is winning the subscription service battle with the Xbox Game Pass which has more games, is more affordable and it's available in many more territories. From my observations it appears PlayStation Now has been improved a lot on but it's just not enough. One thing they can do is to get approval from any PAL/EU Region currently missing from the list, especially Australia and New Zealand. Right now I get the impression that Scomo and Jacinda much loathe gamers and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if true given both country's approach to the classication board followed by the two Commonwealth Nations (unless Australia gives an MA15+ or above then NZ makes up their own mind) and the R18+ finally being introduced to video games in 2012 but that didn't stop Saints Row 4, South Park: TSOT and (worst of all) Hotline Miami 2 from getting the kick in the groin.

Edited by Slim Vanilla

Sony has patented the ability to add trophies to older, emulated games, potentially allowing the rewards to be added to titles that pre-date the Trophy system.

The patent was published on March 18 and spotted by the Bartman013 on the GamingLeaksAndRumours subreddit. The patent is described as a "Method and apparatus for awarding trophies," and describes how an emulated game could still trigger trophies "by comparing a memory value of the emulated game to a predetermined value and assigning the one or more trophies to the user based on the detected trophy trigger."

The patent's description talks about how the technology will allow Sony to award trophies in "previously released or sold video games, without modifying the original game." Essentially, this could allow for older titles to be retrofitted with trophies, so players can earn them in games that pre-date the feature, which was introduced with the PlayStation 3.

• Like 1