Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

So...I finished SOMA a few days ago. I have a LOT of thoughts but I won’t post too much because it will turn into a damn essay (I majored in History). I will say I think it was a unique game to play for this event because while it does have mental health themes, l think it’s more about existential horror. To me it showed that given a hopeless enough environment, and being mostly isolated from other humans (and even from humanity as a concept to an extent), almost anyone will develop mental health issues. Although it’s much different (and far less severe) than the situation in SOMA, I think something similar has happened to our collective mental health due to the current pandemic. That’s not to say that everyone is suffering from mental health issues now, just that I think, now more than ever, the entire world is going to have to pay more attention to mental health.

I doubt I will be able to complete my second game for the event. I really wanted to, but to platinum Blair Witch in time for this event would require me to play the game in a way I really don’t want to play any game for the first time (heavy guide usage, at least 2 back-to-back runs). I think I kind of overextended myself this month (in my personal life and in gaming goals-both on this website and ones I had set for myself). So honestly, I’m just happy to have gotten one game done for this event. 

Also: I highly recommend SOMA to anyone who enjoys psychological horror. The story is fantastic even if the gameplay is (IMO) occasionally frustrating. 

• Like 2

I played Shinigami to Shoujo (死神と少女). It's an otome game about a girl, Sayo, who lives with her brother. In the first half of the game Sayo meets troubled people and helps them with her friends. She herself seems perfectly normal except that for example when glass is broken, she has a flashback and starts to shake. She suffers from at least PTSD from some past trauma.

It is later revealed that as a child Sayo witnessed her (step-)mother committing suicide, and after that she was abused by her real mother. So when Sayo met Grim Reaper, as a coping mechanism for trauma, she started to believe he's her brother. The Grim Reaper played along with it, so in the present he is still her brother and Sayo doesn't remember anything else.

When Sayo starts to remember the truth, first she breaks down and tries really hard to deny the reality but finally she is saved by her friends who don't leave her alone with her trauma. Friends help her to see the reality, and the Grim Reaper disappears when Sayo stops believing in him and chooses to be with real people around her.

Overall this was a beautiful, little heartbreaking story but with hopeful ending. My experience from the game would be that mental health problems don't usually show on the outside but it's always important to get help and support from others.

For #YouAreNotAlone, does Coffee Talk fit? I finished it recently and it's a game where barista becomes friends with their customers. There're also scenes where one character is feeling down and the barista with other customers try to make them feel better.

• Like 4

I was planning on finishing up Killzone 3 as my bonus badge but even if I start now I will not be able to complete it I'm afraid. I want to spend the remainder of the month doing relaxing games and not stress myself out over doing a hard walkthrough in time for this event :P

I did complete Wolfenstein for PS3 this month after I did Heavy Rain. Wolfenstein was intended for my Ultra Rare Cleanup games, so not sure if it can count for this then as I already used it for the other event.

Technically I'm sure it counts, because it does have online trophies that I managed to boost with a couple of folks right before the servers shut down last year. That was an excellent display of fruitful cooperation between some gamers that had right before that point been complete strangers. See? It counts! (Please accept this game...)

Also, it's a very good game and I enjoyed finally cleaning it up.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I was planning on finishing up Killzone 3 as my bonus badge but even if I start now I will not be able to complete it I'm afraid. I want to spend the remainder of the month doing relaxing games and not stress myself out over doing a hard walkthrough in time for this event :P

I did complete Wolfenstein for PS3 this month after I did Heavy Rain. Wolfenstein was intended for my Ultra Rare Cleanup games, so not sure if it can count for this then as I already used it for the other event.

Technically I'm sure it counts, because it does have online trophies that I managed to boost with a couple of folks right before the servers shut down last year. That was an excellent display of fruitful cooperation between some gamers that had right before that point been complete strangers. See? It counts! (Please accept this game...)

Also, it's a very good game and I enjoyed finally cleaning it up.

If it has MP trophies, it counts. Regardless of when you got them. It also makes zero difference to me if you used it for another event so you're all set.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kindajustin said:

Aw wow, hey @Quixotesque amazing write up! I don't know if you remember me but you were one of the first people to kindly say hello to me when I joined this site. I had no idea you joined this event too, it's so cool bumping into you again. I'm so happy to see you're still knocking out trophies, I hope you're doing alright these days!

Hi there! :) 

Thank you for your kind words. I just read your post and I think it's great. I congratulate you.
Here I am, enjoying the trip and the adventures that offer me so many games that I never played or revisit them with all the trophies. 
It's a small world, isn't it? I wish I could interact more around here, given the amount of interesting people and posts I find when I can read a bit.
I found the event by chance, since, as I said, I can't be very active in the forums, something I would really like, but between work and my official examinations it's difficult... >.<
Back to the event, I think the late motif was important enough to do my part. For several years, I actively participated in summer camps as a volunteer in a center for people with intellectual disabilities under the name of "Movimiento FEAPS".
In addition, the connection of my digital persona with Don Quixote, one of the most interesting and studied psychological cases in literature, was a great reason to take part in the event.

I hope we will meet again in other posts and happy gaming friend.

• Like 4

I've had some trouble with this writeup so I'm going to keep it kind of short otherwise I'll never do it...

I played Seasons After Fall this month, though it was one someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I was surprised by the turn it took. The below includes spoilers for the game - I'd recommend playing it for yourself though, it's a fun, short game with a nice narrative

Spoiler

The Seed, who initially begins as the mysterious voice that guides you, clearly has some issues including depression which seems to have been brought on by expectations placed on her. Through glimpses of past events and some explanations by the Guardian, you learn that she was raised by the guardians and will eventually leave to create a new forest - but having learned that the guardians expected her to leave at some point, the Seed shut herself off and began to believe they were trying to get rid of her and didn't really want her around to begin with. 

This is where I think it will represents depression and mental health difficulties even if it's not explicit about it - the seed shuts herself off from others and pushes away those that care about her as she can't see that they do being so wrapped up in her feelings and hurt. This is something I think a lot of depression sufferers go through, pushing away those that care or are trying to help, either through feelings of helplessness ("whatever they try it won't make it better"), or fear ("what if letting them close just causes more pain?"). This aspect is then doubled down on as you go into her sanctum of sorts, all dark and prickly, and destroy what she calls her treasures. She laments their loss and the possibility of being left with nothing - but as you continue the Guardian explains these are actually her fears that she is clinging to so desperately.

As you come to the final ones she begins to accept what you are doing, she doesn't immediately accept it all, but relents and says she hopes you know what you are doing as you destroy the final fear. Released from her fears and accepting assistance from others, she is able to fulfil her purpose as a seed, leave the sanctuary and germinate begin a new forest no longer overcome by her loneliness and sadness.

Ultimately, it's a nice story of accepting help from others and how it can help, of course real depression isn't so convenient a little fox/spirit can come along and make the bad feelings go away, but the depiction of how such things can cause a self-destructive streak - desperately holding to negative feelings for fear of losing what little you have (similar thoughts lead to self-harming, an outlet to feel something even if it's not good), or pushing away those trying to help to protect yourself, and the appearance of selfishness while just trying to find ways to cope or overcome it by yourself - is something I rarely see portrayed.

I think I rambled more than I planned to there.... but I hope you guys find it interesting at least!

As for my bonus badge, I may have to find something quick and easy if I want it 

• Like 4

I completed Kandagawa Jet Girls for the bonus badge. Two characters are always riding a PWC together; on drives while the other shoots the other racers with water guns. In every story mode (there are 8 different stories) always features 2 characters being companions through the whole story. 

• Like 3

I played Abzû, as it was one of the recommended games I had in my library. It is a short and very relaxing exploration game, similar to Journey but underwater. The environment, the music and the aesthetic of the game are really calming and relaxing, it made me take a break from a very stressful month. I believe that this game, due to this calming vibe, is a great way to deal with problems as stress and anxiety.

For the co-op game, I completed Resident Evil 5, where you always have a companion, and I had to do a co-op boost for the versus mode dlc too.

• Like 4

For the #YouAreNotAlone bonus badge, I completed It Takes Two alongside one of my best friends (and artist behind this
event's badge designs), @Ellie-nyan! Whether we were bending time to escape a decrepit clock tower, fending off armies
of wasps with weaponry designed by war-hardened squirrels, or finding hilarious new ways to crush each other with household
objects, there was never a dull moment in this ridiculously creative co-op adventure. I had so much fun and would love to see
more games like this in the future! ?

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 4

I completed Mass Effect and began playing Mass Effect 2 so both requirements are fulfilled. 

There was so much I wanted to discuss about how being kind and forgiving in these games pays off but I’d be spoiling lots of things so I’ll talk about one minor thing. 

Minor spoilers for Mass Effect  and Mass Effect 2. 

Spoiler

In the first game you come across the captured queen of a rapidly reproducing yet nearly extinct species called the Rachni. She’s the last one, in fact. Her species was driven to extinction because they were ruthless, violent and would take over any planet they landed on. The remaining Queen realizes the stigma her species carries and since her life is now in your hands she asks for second chance not just for her but for her entire species, somberly remarking that she has already accepted her fate should you refuse to. It is here you can kill her, effectively exterminating an entire race of aliens or you can release her and give her kind a second chance in life, even if some of your companions protest. I decided to release her. She says that she will teach her offspring the same compassion and kindness you showed her and leaves.

Even though you’ve been told how violent they are and humanity wasn’t around during their reign of terror, I decided to let her leave and begin anew. 

Jump to Mass Effect 2. A woman tells you that she was saved by the Rachni you spared. They are now repopulating in a planet and are noted to be kind to the innocent while punishing the wicked. The woman crashed on their planet while escaping from some thugs. She was healed back to health by the Rachni and they fixed her ship. The thugs on the other hand were completely obliterated. The Rachni Queen thanks you for giving them another chance in life and reassures you that her words were not a desperate attempt for sympathy, she truly has taught her offspring a kinder way of life. The Rachni are now destined to become a race known for their helpful, fair and gentle nature. Not a race of savage bloodthirsty conquerors.

Moments like these made me realize how powerful forgiveness can be and how many people we give up on could thrive if shown love and given a second chance.

• Like 1

Well, I actually made it through Chaos;Child before the month ended. ? My job has kind of made me procrastinate writing about it, as I feel it is driving my own mental health into the ground... But yeah, finally going to write something. I'll try to be vague, but probably still will be spoilers for the story. And since it's a visual novel, that's really the only (good) reason one would play it. 

Spoiler

The game's premise is a serial killer is on the loose, and a bunch of highschool kids are trying to find out who the killer is. The murders are fairly gruesome (one was extremely shocking, and left me speechless), and that most likely has an effect on most of their minds. Then you have the protagonist who has these delusions a lot. Either disturbing, creepy, or perverted most of the time. Something is definitely not right in his mind. ? Probably caused by trauma from his childhood. Neglected by his parents, and then losing them in an earthquake at a young age.

Then there's the girls. I would say most of them had issues, as well. One is holding the protag's deceased corpse at the end of her route, still acting like he's alive and well. Another was subjected to cruel experiments, which her parents allowed. Most of her classmates would avoid her, because of how she looked from it. One is... just crazy. And that's all I'm gonna say. ? I don't know if I noticed much with the girl who doesn't talk much. Her route was bizarre. And the last one was also an experiment victim. 

I don't know if I really learned anything new, other than don't neglect your kids? But I wasn't really planning on having any, so... yeeeeah. 

I had to put Ryza on major hold, or I wouldn't have finished this. Lol. Probably get back to that now, after playing a pretty cringe VN after C;C. :/ Thanks @Beyondthegrave07 for having the event. ❤️

• Like 2

Last day is today! Like I mentioned before, I will leave this open in case people forgot to report back until Friday, but the game will need to be completed in May. For anyone who is donating, I would wait to donate until all badges have been distributed to make sure the total is accurate. I will tag them specifically and let them know the total once that's done.

I'll work with @Ellie-nyan to make sure our totals make sense, and we agree on it before posting. It's possible we overlook someone on the first go if we missed an edit or something like that so bear with us.

I'll also leave the event open for a little longer and plan to discuss having similar events like this in the future with everyone and ways we can improve on it and perhaps brainstorm on new ideas. Stay tuned! 

• Like 4