Here we go again...

5 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

I get what you’re saying, but case of Assassin’s Creed is totally different because it transforms an existing religion into something fictional.

I don’t mind when games have elements of religion included at all, but when it’s the point of the whole game it’s a step too far in my opinion.

But yeah, you’re right about the trophy bait part. The first game in the Breakthrough “series” didn’t include a platinum, and probably no one bought it. Now they’ve been including a platinum in all of their games and tapped into the trophy market. All for the glory of Jesus Christ...Something about this feels icky to me.

That's most games basically. Even some of the old games weren't basically just advertising a religion.

The people doing the Breakthrough games are just scummy. The truth is not every indie developer deserves praise and recognition. This is just a cheap attempt to gain an audience and make a little money.

43 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Religion and politics have already been put in video games and it's been that way for a very long time. Even if you go back to the NES and Super NES days there were a few games (Bible Adventures for the NES) that took pages from the Bible itself.

Assassin's Creed is a franchise still being developed by people of different beliefs and cultures, they already took from religions like Islam and Christianity and practically did their own twist.

Bolded the most important part. People hate contemporary politics and religion, because it's becoming increasingly pervasive in present day, and it invariably comes off as preaching on both counts. The example you give of Assassin's Creed flies under the radar because it uses clearly fictional depictions of otherwise real world religions, which is perfectly ok.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Bolded the most important part. People hate contemporary politics and religion, because it's becoming increasingly pervasive in present day, and it invariably comes off as preaching on both counts. The example you give of Assassin's Creed flies under the radar because it uses clearly fictional depictions of otherwise real world religions, which is perfectly ok.

It's because people are more self aware and see contemporary religion for all the flaws that it is, whereas in the past it was just more blind acceptance because your family did it. My parents and relatives grew up in the 1940s - 1960s in America, they were all Catholic and Christian. Some old television shows in that period practically shoved Christianity down ones throat. In a time before modern technology, if I grew up with a family that was Christian and I watched a weekly television show preaching Christianity, I probably would of been a devout Christian myself. You had a lot more of an excuse back then to fall into a religion. Even well into the 1980s and early 1990s, it was simply easier to just blindly accept the Catholic and Christian churches because there was no internet or social media telling you otherwise.

Today with Wikipedia, extensive research, social media and much of the internet at our fingertips, more and more people are drifting away from contemporary religion. Politics that is contemporary is also going downhill, nobody wants to hear some old 80 year old has been preach the same bullshit he's been spouting for over 50 years. We got some old people here that still do this, but it's so painfully obvious what they're preaching about they're basically stuck in a time warp. That doesn't work anymore, too many people now are self aware and see right through the few that still think contemporary politics and religion are the only way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Today with Wikipedia, extensive research, social media and much of the internet at our fingertips, more and more people are drifting away from contemporary religion. Politics that is contemporary is also going downhill, nobody wants to hear some old 80 year old has been preach the same bullshit he's been spouting for over 50 years. We got some old people here that still do this, but it's so painfully obvious what they're preaching about they're basically stuck in a time warp. That doesn't work anymore, too many people now are self aware and see right through the few that still think contemporary politics and religion are the only way.

I admire your optimism, but the unfortunate truth is that people who do any kind of research outside of their own echo chambers are an endangered species. On both sides of the argument. Different chamber, same deal. Both sides think they're informed, with just as fragile foundations. Social media by default only makes sure that anything that might challenge your world view is safely out of reach. You will encounter instances of opposing views, but only ones the chamber has propped up to laugh at, again bolstering their own world view.

• Like 3

On 09/05/2021 at 10:06 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

My money is on Sony not doing enough to research this far enough. If you really look into where this game comes from, it is part of a much larger network of borderline religious indoctrination material for kids and young adults.

It's part of a much wider network of organised semi-disguised preaching platforms for Christianity. It looks like the game is made by one single person and he runs everything alone, but it looks a bit pushy in terms of agenda here. The company it's connected to - Projectsummerice.com - is a mess of front-sites and portals to various Christian teaching methods and formats including comics. I'm guessing the profits from this game goes back into funding further Christianity preaching specific games. He has made others like this which aren't on PSN (yet) by the looks of it.

I respect someone for making a game all on their own, it must take a tonne of work and dedication. But I don't really think that means it should be included in the PSN catalogue of games by default and it always feels a bit icky when the subtext of a game is to indirectly onboard you into any specific religion. And if you look at the way the network is authored and constructed it's clearly made to pull young people in.

So I guess if you spend your money on it, you are pretty much helping fund that network.

Reading this, I'm kind of intrigued. Do you have a source on this? I'd be interested in reading it.

14 hours ago, NamoPh said:

I admire your optimism, but the unfortunate truth is that people who do any kind of research outside of their own echo chambers are an endangered species. On both sides of the argument. Different chamber, same deal. Both sides think they're informed, with just as fragile foundations. Social media by default only makes sure that anything that might challenge your world view is safely out of reach. You will encounter instances of opposing views, but only ones the chamber has propped up to laugh at, again bolstering their own world view.

I think more people should do research outside of their echo chambers. Someone I was trying to refer to in my previous post is Jimmy Swaggart. He is 86 years old and is an utter con. Really big back in the 1980s and early 1990s, which was a time when you had no internet to do your research. So obviously, a lot of people who were undoubtedly Christian who watched his program believed him. I would of too back then, but Jimmy on most accounts was before my time. Yet he's been spouting the same bullshit for over 50 years.

And while I may sound like I absolutely hate Christianity, I have met many good Christians. Jews, Mormons, Catholics, I've had friends who supported all these religions, but they never shoved their ideals down one's throat.

We have the option to do our own research but unfortunately people are too lazy. They can't even look up stuff on Snopes because it's just a bit too much effort. They simply look at someone's Twitter, see all the shit memes they post, share them with their friends, and go about their day.

You learn a lot more doing your research outside of your own echo chamber. Blindly following what someone else spouts just keeps people stupid.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

Weeeellll, we're getting way off topic now.

I just don't see why other than trophies, people are buying games that have less colors, gameplay and length then even many Atari 2600 games. Nobody would be buying this on their SNES or Playstation 2 for example.

Not only are people buying such awful games, there are people defending them as well. It's funny how times have changed. Trophies literally have more value than the games they are sold with these days.

Such a waste of a Playstation 4 dev kit.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Weeeellll, we're getting way off topic now.

I just don't see why other than trophies, people are buying games that have less colors, gameplay and length then even many Atari 2600 games. Nobody would be buying this on their SNES or Playstation 2 for example.

Not only are people buying such awful games, there are people defending them as well. It's funny how times have changed. Trophies literally have more value than the games they are sold with these days.

Such a waste of a Playstation 4 dev kit.

Let's not let some nostalgia blind us. Watch any sampling of old Angry Video Game Nerd episodes on YouTube and there were practically a lot of awful NES and SNES games. Something like Terminator for the NES doesn't deserve praise or recognition.

The telling difference between back then and now is decades ago your primary audience was kids and computer geeks who just wanted to try out a few games. You could be buying into a crap game, but you didn't really know about it because you had no extensive internet source telling you that it was. I will admit I played a lot of bad Sega Genesis/Megadrive and Nintendo 64 games as a kid. Playing a game was sort of mysterious until you really got into it. Today, you can do extensive research on a game without ever having played it. That's the telling difference in how the times have changed.

We now acknowledge that a number of those old games were bad and aged horribly. What is different with these awful games of the modern era is the amount of people defending them, mostly because they contain easy trophies. I really don't see too many people trying to defend shovelware on Steam, because as I understand people aren't going to go out of their way to do some Steam Achievements considering how broken and imbalanced they are.

This game Our Church and Halloween RPG is purely trophy whore bait. How many people here would of bought the game if it didn't have trophies? I doubt many at all. We shouldn't reward throwaway games like this. It makes even Ratalaika look good in comparison.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This game Our Church and Halloween RPG is purely trophy whore bait. How many people here would of bought the game if it didn't have trophies? I doubt many at all.

Thankfully enough, hardly anyone bought it even with trophies. I came here earlier for a laugh but people were having some awfully strong feelings about shovelware.

Literal trash does not deserve the amount of time or attention we're giving it.

1 hour ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

So I made the mistake of visiting their website, and...

c28e993ebe.png

Manga!?

Anime!?

T-Shirts!?!?

You gotta be kidding me, dude...

Lol, I hadn’t seen the T-shirts. ? 

Much like with the whole Gilson B. Pontes thing, the oddness of this makes me wonder if something shady is going on. 

I mean, maybe they think church members will want to buy the t-shirts or something (though on their website I never saw any sign that there was a physical church involved, might’ve missed it though. Would be easy to, with how chaotic the site is).

But, other than that, do they really think anyone else will want them? It’s just bizarre. There’s loads of genuinely good indie games that have no merchandise whatsoever. 

Edit: There is no church. It’s one guy. He’s apparently been making games since 2001...and has been offering advice to others on how to make games since 2012.

*Facepalm*

The link at the very bottom of the main page leads to this: 

https://www.myronkevantynesjr.com/2019/01/homepage.html?m=1

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

On 5/10/2021 at 5:10 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

At the end of the day if games like this sell then who can blame them for keep making them. 

I can.

But anyway, given that this is an RPG (supposedly), is it any good? How long of a game does $1 buy you? With Sometimes You putting all their Vita games on sale, you can get some pretty good bang for your literal buck there.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

I can.

But anyway, given that this is an RPG (supposedly), is it any good? How long of a game does $1 buy you? With Sometimes You putting all their Vita games on sale, you can get some pretty good bang for your literal buck there.

No. Sometimes You games are far superior to these. First of all, this is “Story Three” in this “series” so I’m guessing it follows the events of the first 2. Second of all, it can be completed in 18 minutes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7Ezp6ARKI

• Like 1

On 11-5-2021 at 4:41 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

So I made the mistake of visiting their website, and...

c28e993ebe.png

Manga!?

Anime!?

T-Shirts!?!?

You gotta be kidding me, dude...

I would watch the anime just to get a glimpse of how bad this is. 

Only if it is free and isn't that long though. gotta keep my sanity. 

• Like 1