The map is almost useless

Filmgalning

I’m so tired of this game. I spend so much time figuring out how to get to my next location. Usually you start to learn the layout by heart but I can’t seem to do it in this game. Highly confusing layout and it seems logical when you think what kind of building I’m in but I’m lost half the time, running around in circles. 

The map is useless and the little indicator which tells me where I am is so small I have to really look for it on the map to spot it even if I know which area I’m in! 

just had to get that out of my system

• Like 4

Control's map pretty much summarizes how weird the whole game is, it looks like something that someone who smoked weed came out with, but that's why this game is fascinating to me ?

But yeah, I raged at that stupid map countless times

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

it looks like something that someone who smoked weed came out with

None of my maps are as obtuse and useless as Control's.

• Like 1

I heard a lot about the map and how terrible it was meant to be but I recently finished the story and I didn't have any major issues with it. I got confused on where to go maybe twice during the whole story. It's just a matter of checking the map constantly so you don't end up lost. I think it's meant to be somewhat confusing due to the nature of the Oldest House and how it operates. Overall though I didn't mind the map or the level design. If I had to change one thing then I'd have a waypoint marker so you don't need to check the map as much.

• Like 2

The Recent Topics list doesn't show the sub-forum of posts. But when I saw the headline I knew it must belong to Control.

The map is very confusing. When you take an elevator you don't know if you end up on a different level on the current map or on a completely different map. Most of the time it's rather clear, to me at least, but for areas that have stuff on different levels it's just a mess. It's not clear on what level you're at and if it's a top or lower one. I know they tried to show lower levels in a darker color but it doesn't work if a brighter color seems to be right above it. Combine this with a rather poor way of hinting the player what to do next and how to access the correct path and you wander around pointlessly, ending up at a completely different location that has nothing to do with it.

Often, I just go in the direction of the next control point, hope it'll actually be there and then just fast travel, because moving around normally is not possible thanks to enemies spawning all of the time. I like how they put a maze in the game, because it's really just a maze within a maze. Simply amazeing!

I found my way to use the map, so I only get confused sometimes and I understand how it could break the experience the game has to offer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's definitely not useless

On 24.5.2021 at 3:59 PM, FreshFromThaDeli said:

They tried to go for the Metroid Prime wireframe look of the map and just failed miserably. I eventually just learned the environments from backtracking so much that I stopped using the map all together. 

Source for your claim or are you just speculating?

On 24.5.2021 at 5:30 PM, HazyDie said:

The Recent Topics list doesn't show the sub-forum of posts. But when I saw the headline I knew it must belong to Control.

The map is very confusing. When you take an elevator you don't know if you end up on a different level on the current map or on a completely different map. Most of the time it's rather clear, to me at least, but for areas that have stuff on different levels it's just a mess. It's not clear on what level you're at and if it's a top or lower one. I know they tried to show lower levels in a darker color but it doesn't work if a brighter color seems to be right above it. Combine this with a rather poor way of hinting the player what to do next and how to access the correct path and you wander around pointlessly, ending up at a completely different location that has nothing to do with it.

Often, I just go in the direction of the next control point, hope it'll actually be there and then just fast travel, because moving around normally is not possible thanks to enemies spawning all of the time. I like how they put a maze in the game, because it's really just a maze within a maze. Simply amazeing!

I found my way to use the map, so I only get confused sometimes and I understand how it could break the experience the game has to offer.

Actually, you do know that when using most elevators.

On 24.5.2021 at 4:09 PM, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Wanted to platinum control on PS4 too but not after my experience with it on PS5...

I'm about to get the platinum as we speak

So I think the map is good for knowing which areas connect to each other and which point you made need to fast travel to in order to get to a specific area? 

Is it the best map I've used? No but I don't think it is the easiest thing to create in gaming because how people interpret maps is quite subjective. The original Doom Map on the PC was incredibly basic but people found it straightforward to use. I personally hated it. I was five years old though. ?

What the Control map lacks in clarity the game makes up for with excellent signage in-game which adds to immersion, a well spaced out fast track system and plenty of need to move around the world regularly due to Board Countermeasures and Alerts 

On 2021-05-24 at 6:03 AM, KenjiCBZ said:

Control's map pretty much summarizes how weird the whole game is, it looks like something that someone who smoked weed came out with, but that's why this game is fascinating to me 1f602.png

But yeah, I raged at that stupid map countless times

Weed? More like acid with a couple lines of ketamine to wash it down. This game was whacky! In a good way?

I think they actually issued a patch with some changes to improve the map at one point but it hardly made a difference imo. There was some specific rooms or areas that I had to relentlessly Google in order to get directions, and the number of threads and sites I’d have to sort through to find them just illustrated how many people were as hopelessly lost as I was.

The objective markers on the map we’re really confusing and it really doesn’t help that the building itself is a huge labyrinth of corridors and rooms that often look the same, so even memorizing the environment is a big chore.

On 2021-08-08 at 9:39 PM, OmegaRejectz said:

I thought Control’s map and collectibles were a pain in the ass until I played Jedi Fallen Order. Both are bad but Fallen Order’s is the worst in any game I can think of.

Damn dude I actually forgot how bad the map was in that game until I just read your comment. It must be my body’s response to trauma in blocking out the memories because idk how else I forgot. Navigation was a complete nightmare at some areas.

• Like 1

The map and layouts were weird to me at first but eventually I realised its obscure layout forces the player agency to actually memorise and pay attention to your surroundings to enhance the gameplay experience. Rather than the usual Ooobisoft-hold-your-hand-wipe-your-butt typical placement marking and linear travelling - which gamers then complain, it's Oh it's all go to Point A mindlessly, do this do that - but nah going to Point A means you gotta think how.

A less delicate way of putting this; if you're not lazy in paying attention, it's not an issue lol.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

I had lots of complaints about Control, and the map is certainly one of them. But honestly, they just should have had no map at all, and had the player use the in-game signs. That’s a pretty cool idea, but it seems as if they hedged against it, and then screwed up their hedge.

Edited by starcrunch061