Spider-Man 2

Abby_TheLastofUs

18 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Did you fix my spelling when you quoted me? 1f602.png

Well shit, I've been exposed.

Never again. Assuming your spelling of weeb wasn't purposely incorrect, either due to fear of upsetting those who'd fit the definition or as an oddly subtle attempt at mocking them (I'm thinking about this too much, aren't I? In that case I'll just leave).

Edited by Dry

25 minutes ago, Dry said:

Well shit, I've been exposed.

Never again. Assuming your spelling of weeb wasn't purposely incorrect, either due to fear of upsetting those who'd fit the definition or as an oddly subtle attempt at mocking them (I'm thinking about this too much, aren't I? In that case I'll just leave).

It was my way of outing you. See, a non-weeb wouldn't ever correct me.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, jonesey46 said:

It was my way of outing you. See, a non-weeb wouldn't ever correct me.

ValuableOldfashionedAnhinga-size_restric

Goodbye. *wave*

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, shadaik said:

What does that even mean?

If they're going by the same logic as @AJ_Radio they might mean that things were quite a bit better before Sony moved their HQ to California. Not much to do with being a weeb, I think, more so with some of the decisions that came after they moved which may or may not be caused by the move and the people working there now.

I'm not going to go into it too much, but it boils down to the fact that games were better off when studios were run by nerds and geeks whose main purpose was to make a good product that is enjoyable. Now you have corpo suits running things and gaming is mainstream so a profit is not just a main part of their mission, it IS the mission.

Nevertheless, this might be one of the few games I buy day one myself as I'm a huge fan of this Spider-man (hopefully there will be an appearance, or a mention of The Superior Spider-man, since they met in the comics, and I think Otto was a great Spidey while in Peter's body), just sad that the statue edition is only Playstation direct, as the statue that came with the first game was awesome and I was hoping to get this one as well.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I didn't even need this in the state of play...I'm 110% sold on the game. But holy shit, we can customize our suits!? I was a little worried that they threw so many suits into the first game, I was always wondering what they were going to do in this one, this is definitely the right direction. Also people were speculating, but it looks like it was confirmed that we have a GTA V style character switching, where it even looks like they're doing something in their time when not selected (indicative of those funny moments of randomly switching to Trevor and he was doing something batshit crazy)...I'll probably be playing as Peter more often than not, but it's a cool mechanic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Can it be October yet?

Something that struck me while watching this is the mentality of Japanese developers vs. American developers when it came to being true to the homeless endemic in the cities or districts they bring to life. In the Yakuza games, the homeless are shown in great numbers, up to the point where the main character learns their backstories or has to learn about  unsavoury activities like pissing and shitting in buildings - or even substance abuse. It goes up to the point where there's political commentary about how this happens to people.

New York has a massive homeless problem where all social programs irl have failed. Behind the glitz of superhero fantasy, they're barely shown or subdued in portrayal. SM-1 doesn't show the opoid crisis, the random mugger that's beaten up - Insomniac doesn't give any backstory if the motive was a narcotic or homeless crisis. It's just a face to beat up. Looking at SM-2 it seems there's a similar absence. I can't help but find something like that is standing out stark considering NY is more famous than ever for homelessness among illegal immigrants and citizens alike.

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Eraezr said:

New York has a massive homeless problem where all social programs irl have failed. Behind the glitz of superhero fantasy, they're barely shown or subdued in portrayal. SM-1 doesn't show the opoid crisis, the random mugger that's beaten up - Insomniac doesn't give any backstory if the motive was a narcotic or homeless crisis. It's just a face to beat up. Looking at SM-2 it seems there's a similar absence. I can't help but find something like that is standing out stark considering NY is more famous than ever for homelessness among illegal immigrants and citizens alike.

I mean, a central institution in both previous games is a homeless shelter filled with all kinds of people in it. Yeah, real NYC does not have one this sucessful, but it would  be a world of pretty shit superheroes if that is not an issue they'd have tackled after at least 8 years of active hero-ing. On the other hand, the regular property damage caused by heroes fighting should result in an even more severe homelessness crisis. Though with his constant rent struggles, having Peter Parker himself homeless would be an interesting take  - he only was homeless by technicality for a few days in the first game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Something that struck me while watching this is the mentality of Japanese developers vs. American developers when it came to being true to the homeless endemic in the cities or districts they bring to life. In the Yakuza games, the homeless are shown in great numbers, up to the point where the main character learns their backstories or has to learn about  unsavoury activities like pissing and shitting in buildings - or even substance abuse. It goes up to the point where there's political commentary about how this happens to people.

Except this isn't supposed to be OUR New York. Marvel (and even DC for that matter) have always run on a Multiverse where this is taking place on a completely different Earth with its own set of rules and variations. This Spider-Man takes place on Earth-1048, which is even different from the MCU which is Earth-199999, which itself varies from a lot of the comics being Earth-616. You have to look at this from the standpoint of the world Insomniac is building, not from real life. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Viper said:

. You have to look at this from the standpoint of the world Insomniac is building, not from real life. 

Exactly. And it was of their own vision to build a prettier picture of New York than reality, through the exclusion of many homeless on the streets. We get sentimental characters like Howard the Pigeon man but not the actual thing. It's not a comfortable thing to think about but the implication is there. And with all that, we still have low level street criminals with opaque backgrounds.

Insomniac probably made the right choice to ignore the homeless. Super-strength, agility, healing and a high tech suit - none of these powers Peter possesses could make a dent of the bureaucratic complexities of en masse illegal homeless or the pharmaceutical drug lords making homeless, without picking a fight with the government. He struggles with his own bills, he wouldn't be able to re-home thousands. It would be a joy-kill for the player in the escapism of superhero fantasy.

It's a little funny though. The original archetype of the superhero in the Golden Age was created to solve difficult challenges and problems of society that existed in the 1930s. Since then the world has changed a lot, gotten more complex. Majority of superhero IPs have diverged from that original tradition and now pursue the illusions of their own worlds. This mistake was why X-Men became more popular than DC in the 90s for the younger crowd.

But every once in a while, you do get divergences that excel. Before Disney bought Marvel, a PG-13 movie Iron Man (2008) critiqued the military industrial complex and sought to inspire conscience in weapons manufacturing. You would never see Insomiac's Spidey challenging a real problem of that size.

Edited by Eraezr

Wait, what? The One World Trade Center in this video game looks nothing like the skyscraper in real world Manhattan! Where is the 9/11 memorial + museum just across the road South? Not cool, Insomniac!

Spoiler

/s

The Marvel universe is ultimately fictitious, is it not?

Edited by Dry
Still can’t add spoiler boxes on mobile. -_-
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eraezr said:

But every once in a while, you do get divergences that excel. Before Disney bought Marvel, a PG-13 movie Iron Man (2008) critiqued the military industrial complex and sought to inspire conscience in weapons manufacturing. You would never see Insomiac's Spidey challenging a real problem of that size.

Yeah, imagine the games were about the systemic issues caused by billionaire greed creating a terrorist crime scene of vigilantes normal law enforcement is unable to contain either directly or by neglect. You know, like Fisk, Osborne, and Krieger.

Oh, wait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadaik said:

Yeah, imagine the games were about the systemic issues caused by billionaire greed creating a terrorist crime scene of vigilantes normal law enforcement is unable to contain either directly or by neglect. You know, like Fisk, Osborne, and Krieger.

Oh, wait.

You do not understand the scale of the military industrial complex, relative to surburbia terrorism.

6 hours ago, Dry said:

Wait, what? The One World Trade Center in this video game looks nothing like the skyscraper in real world Manhattan! Where is the 9/11 memorial + museum just across the road South? Not cool, Insomniac!

Reveal hidden contents

/s

The Marvel universe is ultimately fictitious, is it not?

It is. And fiction is always fair game to critique.

Edited by Eraezr