The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me (November 18, 2022)

Are these any good? People wouldn't shut up about Until Dawn, so I finally played it to see what all the fuss was about, and it ended up being great...but I literally hear very little about the Dark Pictures games that I tend to forget about them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

Oh sweet! I thought the Dark Pictures Anthology was just going to be a trilogy, so I'm happy to hear there's going to be one more. And also the implication of a second season as well!

From what I recall it is planned to have 8 games. Many heavily doubt they'll get that far but if they're halfway there and still kicking... I suppose it ain't impossible.

30 minutes ago, Viper said:

Are these any good? People wouldn't shut up about Until Dawn, so I finally played it to see what all the fuss was about, and it ended up being great...but I literally hear very little about the Dark Pictures games that I tend to forget about them. 

Until Dawn was first so it could wow people more as a result. As for why not so much talk on the Dark picture games, both Medan and Little Hope have what people feel are unsatisfying reveals which are similar to each other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Until Dawn is still the best in my opinion. I enjoyed Man of Medan and Little Hope was decent. They make for good October games and I really enjoyed the Curator who replaces the psychiatrist from Until Dawn. If you get them, I recommend doing so on sale as they are not very long. 

1 hour ago, Neocarleen said:

Oh sweet! I thought the Dark Pictures Anthology was just going to be a trilogy, so I'm happy to hear there's going to be one more. And also the implication of a second season as well!

They said from the Beginning that there would be 8 entries.  

35 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Until Dawn is still the best in my opinion. I enjoyed Man of Medan and Little Hope was decent. They make for good October games and I really enjoyed the Curator who replaces the psychiatrist from Until Dawn. If you get them, I recommend doing so on sale as they are not very long. 

Until Dawn isn’t in the series, so they really shouldn’t be treated as such.

Until Dawn was helped along by Sony, wasn't it? Probably why it was so much better than the first two in this Anthology.

They aren't TERRIBLE, but the trophy lists (which have steadily improved) didn't help and the dialogue can be really bad. And they're too dark, visually. I hope that's improved with this latest one, though.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Until Dawn is still the best from them, but I really liked Little Hope and even though it has a controversial ending, I still thought it was good and went well with the game.

Man of Medan is a bit meh ngl. But I wouldn't call it bad. It's fun for a playthrough but I wouldn't be tempted to replay it for anything other than a platinum. 

2 hours ago, Neocarleen said:

You'll be please to know they've confirmed at least 8 games. So a S2 will be coming :D 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I prefer the Dark Pics games tbh. Until Dawn has that campy 80s slasher thing, which is fine, it's fun. But I much prefer the Dark Pics direction.

<Snip>

I get it's not in the series but I think most people were expecting them to continue with a more supernatural experience. I have been satisfied so far with the Dark Pictures and am looking forward to getting House of Ashes. I just think that the supernatural approach works better. Medan pulled it off pretty well without it even though I guessed the twist very early on. Hope was bit more cerebral and didn't land as well for me. Ashes looks to be returning to the supernatural so that's got me excited for it. Holding off on the trailer for Devil in Me so can't speak on it yet.

Edit: Apparently I Snipped the quote entirely o_O @DarkHpokinsn

Edited by da-Noob123
  • Like 1

I still remember when the series was first announced and the plan was to deliver two games a year. Maybe this "season finale" is a way to give themselves a break in releases in order to try to deliver on that original plan? Or maybe Bandai Namco is reconsidering the long term deal given that sales have apparently been softer than anticipated?

Another idea I just had is that "season two" could be gen 9 only and this is an easy way to make a clean break away from gen 8.

Edited by communistwookiee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, zulqarmessi said:

Looks like game is saw-franschise inspired, that's awesome, huge fan of Jigsaw and his deadly traps.

yeah, I get the same vibe.  This game seems creepier/darker than the others.  I saw the original Saw, it was ok for what it was but I can’t say I was really a fan.

• 3 weeks later...