Removing the whole Trophy system from PSN

-SK

Hey guys, I know this is very random and won't happen anytime soon (I hope) but do you think they will ever remove the whole trophy system from PlayStation Network? It's just that I got into trophy hunting a while ago again and I got a bit paranoid about them ever removing trophies from PlayStation, as we will have done all of this for nothing. I like gaming and trophy hunting but some trophies are just a pain and it wouldn't feel right if all of that would be gone someday. I know I'm looking to deep in the future right now but it still made me a bit paranoid

Edited by SKhesraw
  • Like 1

Did you have fun getting them?

If so, would you still consider it a waste of time, or time well spent?

If Sony ever decided to drop the whole trophy system, wipe it, or for whatever reason did away with the records of the gamers... I'd play my games different.

There'd be no more point to go out of my way for some digital points. I'd have more fun, more freedom, but I'd probably spend just as much time on some games as I do now.

Instead of 100% of trophies obtained, the game would be considered "complete" when the savegame is at 100%. Either by defeating all bosses, clearing all quests, filling all data books (enemy, item, forging, titles, whateverelse).

If there's going to be an overhaul (again?!), I'd definitely like to see rarity get involved with points-per-trophy. Sure, you'll rise and fall in ranks as games are played by more and more folks and the rarity changes. At least the 95%+ average completion games will lose their appeal and perhaps the rising tide of shovelware can be stemmed a bit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottyMiddleton said:

That or a much needed overhaul of the system, these easy quick 2 minute platinum's have ruined it. 

16 minutes ago, Shikotei-kun said:

If there's going to be an overhaul (again?!), I'd definitely like to see rarity get involved with points-per-trophy. Sure, you'll rise and fall in ranks as games are played by more and more folks and the rarity changes. At least the 95%+ average completion games will lose their appeal and perhaps the rising tide of shovelware can be stemmed a bit.

Wow not what I was expecting when I clicked on this thread. Are we about to hear some rarity leaderboard arguments again?

It has been at least a few weeks since the last of all of those super productive, healthy conversations regarding the implementation of such a thing here, so yeah I'm down to stick around and watch.

Edited by kindajustin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, kindajustin said:

It has been at least a few weeks since the last of all of those super productive, healthy conversations regarding the implementation of such a thing here, so yeah I'm down to stick around and watch.

Slight difference is that it'll be SONY's rarity leaderboard. Not PSNP's. No need to get your hopes up, but I sincerely do hope we stay away from that subject...

But yeah, if trophies are dropped altogether my playstyle will change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SKhesraw said:

Hey guys, I know this is very random and won't happen anytime soon (I hope) but do you think they will ever remove the whole trophy system from PlayStation Network? It's just that I got into trophy hunting a while ago again and I got a bit paranoid about them ever removing trophies from PlayStation, as we will have done all of this for nothing. I like gaming and trophy hunting but some trophies are just a pain and it wouldn't feel right if all of that would be gone someday. I know I'm looking to deep in the future right now but it still made me a bit paranoid

Gone how? The code for unlocking trophies is on every game disc and in every game download people already have. Every offline console can track trophies unlocked while people play. 

There isn’t a practical way to “remove the whole trophy system from PSN”, so no, I don’t see it happening. 

Although if your paranoia is that strong, perhaps it’s a good time to seek out someone to talk about these things who is a professional. Have them help you evaluate why you’re feeling that way and what you can do about it practically. 

• Like 3

They will never remove an achievement system. It's part of what attracts certain people to gaming, it's why some games can sell far more copies than they should. Sony doesn't care about 2 minute lists ruining how sacred a platinum is, they care about sales.

Also it's used as a tool to sell DLC, addons and to keep people interested, invested and above all else keeps players playing.

Edited by euantp_
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Rarity aligned with points per trophy is a great idea. Why would someone grind out a very difficult plat for someone else to burn through 30x 2 minute plats?

It has devalued Platinum trophies completely making trophy level pretty useless. Maybe the criteria to having an achievable platinum on a game to be changed?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Gone how? The code for unlocking trophies is on every game disc and in every game download people already have. Every offline console can track trophies unlocked while people play. 

There isn’t a practical way to “remove the whole trophy system from PSN”, so no, I don’t see it happening. 

Although if your paranoia is that strong, perhaps it’s a good time to seek out someone to talk about these things who is a professional. Have them help you evaluate why you’re feeling that way and what you can do about it practically. 

No this really isn't that serious for professional help. I was just worried about it but paranoia was actually phrased a bit too extreme. By the way I understand every game has a code for unlocking trophies but I referred more to the PS6 days where there might be a huge difference in how games will run at that time

I unlocked a trophy on The Escapists yesterday by booting up a single DLC dungeon, walking for 3 seconds to a sign, and reading the sign. The PSN rarity? 1.2%, which is 1/10th of the rarity of the Ghosts of Tsushima plat.

Bad idea. It's bad enough that the PSNP rarity is 16% or so (about 1/3rd of the PSNP rarity of GoT); having Sony introduce this policy would be...very funny.

But seriously, it's Sony's fault that the plat system has become "devalued". They don't have to allow multiple stacks of 5-minute plats regarding bowling stories or church halloweens, but they do because they make 30 cents off of each dollar purchse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kindajustin said:

Wow not what I was expecting when I clicked on this thread. Are we about to hear some rarity leaderboard arguments again?

I'm here to bring you your desired content. Just kidding, I got nothing this time, other than the 16th rant about fake DLC rarity on the site being a clown show.

To the OP, it's likely we will see an interesting overhaul or two over the course of the PS5 generation, but I wouldn't worry about complete removal of the system. Despite trophies being a "niche" that "few people care about", the recent ease of Platinum difficulty in Sony's first party titles shows that they do acknowledge, to some extent, that trophies sell games, so I doubt the system that allows such a selling point will be removed anytime soon. Have fun and enjoy your trophies.

• Like 3

In my view, they already did worse than that when they discontinued the trophy rewards program. Between two accounts, I made over $200 in PSN credit simply by earning platinums, and to be honest, it spoiled me terribly. I don't value trophies half as much I used to.

Really doubt achievement systems are going anywhere, but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate
  • Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 2:45 AM, SKhesraw said:

do you think they will ever remove the whole trophy system from PlayStation Network?

Yes, once the expense of maintenance significantly surpasses the perceived contribution to profit.  As with everything else, "this too shall pass."

EDIT:  Clarification for anyone who reads too deeply -- just because something ends doesn't mean it wasn't fun.  Every PS generation ends, and every generation was fun.  I start a PS game intending to end it, and the whole time it is fun.  PSN itself won't be around forever, but it has produced stupid amounts of fun.

The OP asked "do you think they will ever remove the whole trophy system from PlayStation Network?"  My answer is Yes.  PS game servers get removed, PS game stores get removed, PS services get removed -- no reason to think the trophy system is somehow immune.  But that doesn't mean trophies aren't fun!

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pogo_loco said:

Yes, once the expense of maintenance significantly surpasses the perceived contribution to profit.  As with everything else, "this too shall pass."

You keep stating this crap, but you're still active in trophy hunting and maintain an attitude of "everything must come to an end". Great attitude there buddy.

• Like 1

at that point, trophies are a commercial success and that would be unlikely. however in the long run there is a chance that trophies are not a thing anymore, nothing is guaranteed. thinking about it might be a bit "disturbing" lol, but it's possible.

Edited by kevao97

On 11/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I unlocked a trophy on The Escapists yesterday by booting up a single DLC dungeon, walking for 3 seconds to a sign, and reading the sign. The PSN rarity? 1.2%, which is 1/10th of the rarity of the Ghosts of Tsushima plat.

Bad idea. It's bad enough that the PSNP rarity is 16% or so (about 1/3rd of the PSNP rarity of GoT); having Sony introduce this policy would be...very funny.

Then, as part of the overhaul, the DLC rarity is based on the owners (actual owners, those who paid for it: Sony has this info) and thereby fixes (truly) the rarity of DLC trophies. Might happen, might not. No point

Speaking of no point, this thread somewhat devolved into fatalism: everything ends, nothing matters, etc.

Ask yourself this: Did I have fun, though?

• Like 1

On 2021-11-15 at 7:52 AM, DaivRules said:

I am typically cautious about calling out moderators, but that comment is ableist and indignant. You don’t need to pathologize their experiences because they used the word paranoia and suggest they need professional help. It’s a thread about gaming and trophies - why would you abuse your power and attack them and make unfair insinuations about their mental health, just to shame and stigmatize them?

• Like 1

They won't remove it. They may possibly edit it in some manner such as for example not having trophies give static points and having rarity matter which would mean EZ plats losing 90+% of their point values. Another would be to introduce a 5th rarity that would be like say worth 5 points, a third of a bronze.

Any such changes are however unlikely, though not impossible. No one expected the 99 to 999 change and platinum trophy value change. 

• Like 1