How often do you back up your files?

Wade_VC

Just as the title states, how many of you out there back up your files; either via the Cloud or a flash drive, and how often.

As for me, I back up as much data as I can every 3 - 4 days on a Flash drive. I for one could care less if the console took a shit as I have 2 spares (one still in the box), but I would hate to lose all my game/save data to boot.

My first PS3 took a major crap the first month I had it, and at that time I didn't have too much on it; but that little incident taught me that I should religiously back-up my data on a regular basis to thwart losing it should my current console ever go belly up.

Any others out there who faithfully back up their files?

About every 6 months, I do a full backup.

I have no saves in the cloud... I don't know why I don't use it.

Well, most of the games I play are online, so most have the data saved server side. I could care less if I have to re-install BF3 and redo the campaign again. On the other hand I would kill someone if I lost my MGS or FF saves, but I have those saved in full backups.

I guess I just need more games. :P

I'm sporadic at best. Maybe I'll back up my saves if I'm doing something that I feel that I may need to reload a previous save and don't want it written over. I usually won't play more than three games at a time anyway, so if my ps3 were to crap out, I wouldn't be too let down. I really should start being better about it though especially with games that take large amounts of time to complete. I just don't think of it though.

TBH the cloud storage is pretty weak at 150 mb. Compared to other free storage options I'd expect more like 1-2 gb at least. I filled my 150 in no time and now I get errors about not being able to upload more. I think one of my recent games had a 35-40mb save alone.

It's not at all clear how to remove selected saves from online storage or how to determine which are using all of the space.

Can you use any flash drive to back stuff up? I don't have a ton on my PS3 save-wise and what is there doesn't take up too much space... so I probably could get away with a itty-bitty 8 gig thing. Might not be a bad idea. The majority of my HD is taken up by demo's and game data, stuff that's easily replace-able.

As it stands, I've never backed up my PS3.

I've only ever "backed up" my PlayStation 3 once. It was when my disc drive got messed up on my 80GB and started causing it to shut down. I saved whatever files I could to a flash drive.

Can you use any flash drive to back stuff up? I don't have a ton on my PS3 save-wise and what is there doesn't take up too much space... so I probably could get away with a itty-bitty 8 gig thing. Might not be a bad idea. The majority of my HD is taken up by demo's and game data, stuff that's easily replace-able.

As it stands, I've never backed up my PS3.

As long as it fits into the USB, it's fine. However, there are lots of saves that are copy protected.

• 5 weeks later...

I've started backing up game saves on my flash drive since I first read this thread. Depending on what game I'm playing and if it's save is copy protected, I back up my save after every session. Saved my ass recently on the game I'm currently playing. I found out I messed up on a missable/collectable trophy and had to load one of my back ups or start over to get it. I was really lucky to find the save I needed. At thirty hours in, I'm not sure I would've started over.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After I'm done with a game, I'll back it up on my external hard drive (if the save is able to be copied, of course). Doing it anymore frequent than that would seem like such a bother. Plus, the slim models don't seem to be defective like the original bigger models, so I'm not really worried about the yellow light of death.