Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion [FTC sues to stop - CMA issues updated preliminary findings]

waltdisneypixar

1 hour ago, cy1999aek_maik said:

This should be copy pasted whenever someone makes these bizarre comparisons. Sony develops small studios ,works with them closely then buys them for their talent. Xbox buys IPs that have already been developed and established their own fanbase with no investment from microsoft. Bungie is an exception, but even then, they have stated Destiny will remain multiplat and Bungie will help other Sony studios in their live service endeavours

You can look at these things a dozen ways… Xbox’s acquisitions were arguably distressed assets at the time (companies with toxic press surrounding them, lawsuits from employees, federal investigations) and if not Microsoft, Tencent, Embracer or a Saudi Investment fund would have circled eventually. The “virtuosity” or “dirtiness” of these acquisitions mostly stems from an individuals’ pre-existing like/dislike/suspicion of the acquiring firm.

Ultimately, all of these fanboy arguments are the same as someone screaming in your face at a picnic because you opened a can of Coke Zero while they Stan for Pepsi Max. There’s a point you just have to ask yourself are you two people having a conversation to inform/enlighten each other or are you just two powerless idiots (not a personal dig at anyone here) living paycheck-to-paycheck and wasting your time blindly leaping to the the defence of billion/trillion dollar companies who each have expensive lawyers/lobbyists to do that and only care about your continued existence so you can keep up your monthly subscription payment.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rozalia1 said:

At least with the whole FTC thing you can mark it off as "well America is heavily corrupt so they can do stuff like that". What has been much more embarrassing in Microsoft's behaviour is how they've been treating the UK/EU as if they're in America. The full page ads in newspapers, the gloating ads in the subway, the talk of the CMA hurting the country and making poorer. These are tactics companies do in America but you simply should not be doing in the UK/EU. Know that meme about how Japan is all about honour and you can't get ahead by acting like an asshole like you can in America? Something like that. Acting in that way might have some effect in America, but elsewhere it just makes you look bad and if it'll do anything it'll be hurting your case.

Think that's also part of the reason they've failed so miserably in Japan. Microsoft's tactics are considered bad business there. That's why you usually hear about companies doing partnerships rather than taking each other over outright. Yes, it's normal business tactics in the US. Does that make it right? Of course not. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

You can look at these things a dozen ways… Xbox’s acquisitions were arguably distressed assets at the time (companies with toxic press surrounding them, lawsuits from employees, federal investigations) and if not Microsoft, Tencent, Embracer or a Saudi Investment fund would have circled eventually. The “virtuosity” or “dirtiness” of these acquisitions mostly stems from an individuals’ pre-existing like/dislike/suspicion of the acquiring firm.

Ultimately, all of these fanboy arguments are the same as someone screaming in your face at a picnic because you opened a can of Coke Zero while they Stan for Pepsi Max. There’s a point you just have to ask yourself are you two people having a conversation to inform/enlighten each other or are you just two powerless idiots (not a personal dig at anyone here) living paycheck-to-paycheck and wasting your time blindly leaping to the the defence of billion/trillion dollar companies who each have expensive lawyers/lobbyists to do that and only care about your continued existence so you can keep up your monthly subscription payment.

Whatever I say is from the perspective of someone who likes to play video games. I don't have skin in the game, if Sony goes bankrupt I have no financial investment in the company and I will probably continue playing games on my PC. I have a preference for PS, probably because that's what I started with, but the reason I am participating in this isn't out of fanboyism. I acknowledge that if Sony had the budget that Microsoft has for acquisitions, they would have done the same moves as Microsoft, not because they are a dirty company, but because it makes sense for their business. However as a person who likes games, currently, the way Sony invests in studios allows for the development of new IPs while Xbox is snatching market share. From the perspective of someone who likes to play games, one company is developing games while the other is making games exclusive. When discussing this with other people who like playing games I want to make them understand this perspective. 

When I called Microsoft 'dirty' it wasn't because of their acquisitions, it is becuase of other anti-competitive moves they've made, even outside of xbox

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Oh no, there is a big difference, Sony buys studios that mainly have been working with Sony for years, Sony is not taking studios with big sagas that have been multiplatform for decades, MS dont want to buy small studios and make them bigger, they want to buy big studios with big IPs already multiplatform and then block the development in the PS consoles, they bought Bethesda and now Redfall and Starfield wont be released on PS even when Redfall was already on development for PS5, and other sagas like Doom, Fallout, TES, Wolfenstein that were sagas multiplatform wont have new releases on Sony consoles. Same will happen with ABK, no more CoD for Sony (The 10 years deal was only because of all the whining of Sony, even Nintendo got a 10 years deal that wouldnt exist if Sony didnt complain about this buyout), no more Diablo, OW and similar...

Now tell me, which big MULTIPLATFORM IPs for decades did Sony bought with any of their studios? Even with Bungie they said that Destiny will continue Multiplatform...

You can probably add to that list Hi Fi Rush, an odd Japanese game like that would certainly have come to Sony consoles as well given all the rest of Tango Gameworks console games came to Sony consoles before Microsoft bought Zenimax. Sony even paid to make their previous game, Ghostwire: Tokyo, a timed exclusive.

Edited by Guardian_owl

Very interesting development, unexpected but still interesting ?. I haven't read the entire report but i find it curious that big part is around Cloud gaming. Microsoft is true that has a big advantage in this field when it come to technology and infrastructure and many companies among them Sony itself also make use of Microsoft Azure platform. Sadly we can make only assumptions because we don't have the whole picture but things will become more interesting it seems.

Going forward it doesn't really matter what happens as Sony severely burned their bridge with ABK.

If the deal never ends up happening, most stuff will stay multiplatform with best case scenario for Sony being every AB title is also on GamePass day one of release and are permanent additions but nothing is exclusive. This will still hurt Sony for anyone that plays games from that company as they may be swayed to pick up an Xbox with GP, serving as the entry drug to the Xbox ecosystem.

Worse case is most everything is multiplat and on GamePass day one but COD goes exclusive after the next release.

Jolly good show, CMA. And Microsoft... take that! ? While it may not be the deal killer, at least it's a setback. Hopefully the board is ticked off enough to kick out Bobby.

Learning of the Xenon (Xbox 360 CPU) screwjob pushes my opinion of Xbox lower still, and also IBM. IBM took 3 of the general purpose cores used in Cell, and put them into Xenon. Screw MS for going along with this. Sony should've tried to get an exclusivity on this core for gaming console applications, even if they would've had to pay IBM a greater amount.

• Like 1

Ya, I would think they like money too much to let the relationship sour long term. Some shareholders tried to run for the exits with a quick pay day with this acquisition, but now that that notion seems to be basically dead and the stock price is down. they'll have to make money by selling product, the horror. And we all know which of the two high end consoles currently does a much better job at that task. They can hold a grudge, keep new titles off Sony consoles, and starve themselves to death out of spite, it's a free country. Though I doubt Microsoft is going to want to shower them with money to put all their games on Gamepass since none of that money now will be going back into its own pocket. I would imagine the license fee to put the next installment of CoD day 1 on gamepass (or to keep it off Sony consoles) would have to be astronomical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Or Activision's board gets rid of Bobby and repairs its relationship with Sony?

Why do you assume Kotick is going to be able to stay if this fails?

For the fact Bobby is still there despite everything that has already happened under him and because of him? The fact the board would have got a big pay day if this went through? If MS has the money to buy ABK in entirety, they have that same money now freed up to make COD exclusive? Sony bought FF16, no reason MS can't buy COD16 or whatever number we're on.

6 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

For the fact Bobby is still there despite everything that has already happened under him and because of him? The fact the board would have got a big pay day if this went through? If MS has the money to buy ABK in entirety, they have that same money now freed up to make COD exclusive? Sony bought FF16, no reason MS can't buy COD16 or whatever number we're on.

I was under the impression that Bobby was on his way out for all his bs, but it got sidelined due to the acquisition news?

You have a point, if MS wants to throw that money into exclusivity out of spite.  Not sure it makes sense money-wise, but MS is MS I guess. There's also grumbling Xbox may fold if this fails.

I read somewhere that Sony co-developed and co-published ff16, hence the exclusive.  Plus I'm assuming they have a closer working relationship with square than Xbox has with acti.

Acti would have to be on board to do it out of spite also, instead of trying to dump kotick and right the ship.  I'm sure they would take some sort of hit giving up the ps portion of the market.