How do you tackle a backlog?

amurnin100

I try to keep like a two to one ratio of not buying a new game until I beat two so at least I'm making some progress.  Other than that I sent have a system.  It's just, oh I should get back to this.  It's pretty rare that I drop a game because I don't like it.  I just get distracted pretty easily.

Just whatever I am in the mood for. I've found I naturally strike a good balance that way. When I play a huge 50+ hour open world game I usually crave shorter experiences afterwards. If I play a string of simpler games I will start to want something with more depth that I can really sink my teeth into and learn all the systems and master them, and vice versa.

Also I like to have a few grindy (trophy-wise) games going if I want to take a break from what I am playing. Like right now when I want to just chill out I'll usually load up Worms Rumble or Slay the Spire and do a few runs as I watch some youtube.

3 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

Easiest ones, time consuming ones , a random choice , how do you tackle that mountain of games to get through them all and what’s the one game you always keep putting off….

Ultimately, there's no right answer. Just play whatever game you feel like playing. 

• Like 1

I divide my Backlog in tiny pieces. I label my games by: Difficulty, Genre, Franchise, Online trophies, Console, etc.

I always pick what I want to play first of course but when I'm not sure I go to this system.

Rather than thinking "Man I have 50 games to beat" I view it as: Okay I have to beat " 2 Resident Evils, 3 games with Online trophies, 4 6/10 difficulty platinums, 1 Side Scroller, 1 Wrestling game, 6 PS3 Games..."

This helps with motivation because even if I only beat say 3 games but they all shared a category I can say "Great, I'm done with online trophies" or that's "All 6/10 difficulty plats done"

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I say "I'm going to tackle this backlog now!"....then go and buy more games that adds to it so it only ever gets larger rather than actually decreasing. 

I do this as well. At a certain point, it gets large enough that you admit you have no realistic chance of emptying it, and go back to playing whatever catches your attention in the moment. At least, that's how it worked for me, and now I don't stress about it nearly as much. 

5 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

Easiest ones, time consuming ones , of a random choice , how do you tackle that mountain of games to get through them all and what’s the one game you always keep putting off….

Yeah I struggle to do long games at times as they can repetitive but hate playing more than 1 game at a time 

Considering I have 1,000+ games in my backlog and counting, not very well...

On a more serious note, I generally just play what I feel like playing, though I have been semi-prioritising older systems in recent years since their backlogs have already dwindled a fair amount (well, for some of them anyway).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

Easiest ones, time consuming ones , a random choice , how do you tackle that mountain of games to get through them all and what’s the one game you always keep putting off….

what i simply do is, stop buying new games til my backlog is done or at least half way done. Helps a lot and as a reward I buy a new one :P 

I have spreadsheets in alphebetical order, time, difficulty and my completion. Sometimes i go for a quick game, other times hard or just knock the last trophy of a game. When I cant think of what to play then i go through my trophy advisor and work through that until I find a game that catches my interest. I've accepted that my backlog will just grow as the rate of games released increases including ps plus/now games. 

Digital stuff first, on disc later. Then, i pick the 100% lists/platinums with more percentage of completion and lastly, going downwards. Easy stuff first, hard stuff at last. Altough i may take some "detours" and "shortcuts" and try to finish those games were i only need 1 or 2 trophies to pop the plat (currently trying that with the God of War games i have). Also, thinking about the "milestones" in my account. Because of having mexican origin, i'm planning on making "Mulaka" my 10th plat, the next step being "Guacamelee" or "Aztech: Forgotten Gods", being either my 20th platinum or the platinum being my 2000th trophy (whichever comes first).

Of course: If a game i have sitting there would have his servers closed, it becomes top priority (TERA/Jump Force).

Edited by Vampirehunter145

I describe a few options to my girlfriend and she decides base on how excited I sound talking about the game. Works pretty well for me. Managed to clear almost 100 games^^

generally Intro to do a good mix of games and alternate between boosts, not done collectibles and games I simply didn’t have the time for were I pretty much start at 0

Edited by Ich1994-1994

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Pure gut instinct - what one feels most appealing at the time.

I very much stick to the idea that if a game is good, but I don't feel like playing it right now, that's okay...

...at some point in the future, it will probably be more fitting to my mood.

That only works though, if when that mood does strike, I listen to it, and go back and play the game in question... and it's served me fairly well over the years.

I think its the second part of this that I struggle with!  I could be hyped all day to go home and play some tetris, then I finally sit down and decide, eh... 

• Like 1

The short answer is, I don't. It keeps getting bigger and as I get older I have less time to play. For a while there I had one game going at a time which I find quite methodical and it kept me focused. I have about 10 going at the moment though and it's all over the place. Will try and knock a few over in the summer backlog challenge!

• Like 1

I would focus on games with online trophies first and usually just to get that part out of the way. Any games that have remakes or remasters, that’s on one list I would follow. For PS3, PS4, and Vita games, I would choose a very early game that was out during the generation and continue to finish up to the latest game out for it. PS5, I try to do them 1 at a time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

Do you all find it hard to go back to older gen games in your backlog?

Yeah, as much as I tell myself I’ll clear the backlog when I retire, that may not happen unless there is backwards compatibility. I’ve had a PS5 for all of one month and I already have a weird feeling when I grab a PS4 controller! :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, visighost said:

Yeah, as much as I tell myself I’ll clear the backlog when I retire, that may not happen unless there is backwards compatibility. I’ve had a PS5 for all of one month and I already have a weird feeling when I grab a PS4 controller! :D

That I can relate too ?