Sony increased PS5 price (Live now)

Sailar91

Bad press release 

Sony should’ve just said the price increases were due to currency fluctuations 

it’s not a good look blaming price increases on component shortages when Xbox (and a lesser extent Nintendo) aren’t raising their prices 

its very strange, but i am from Russia and PS5 in my country cheaper every day, because russian rouble strong every day. yesterday PS5 cost about 783$, today its about 756
yep, Sony stopped buisines in my country, but we dont give a f*ck, we have online stores in another countries. also we have Turkish PS Store with cheapest games ever

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Bad press release 

it’s not a good look blaming price increases on component shortages when Xbox (and a lesser extent Nintendo) aren’t raising their prices 

How would that help though as you could make the same argument that MS didn’t?  If anything currency devaluation hurts everything in equally while component shortages can be a little more unique.

I am fine with the price increase, like others, wish they had done it at launch but I don’t think your change would help with reception.

6 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Bad press release 

Not yet

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Bad press release 

This was damned if you do. Damned if you don't. Nothing you can say will not piss anyone off so you might as well rip off the band-aid and get it over with

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

... Except the US is one of the places not getting a price increase. Did you actually read the OP, or did you get too excited about the opportunity to post whatever the hell this is to bother?

The difference being the USD is strong against the other currencies and the console parts are bought in USD ..

As someone who’s had the PS5 since release, I can tell anyone that doesn’t have one still that you’re not missing out on much honestly. The current PS5 library doesn’t warrant buying one right now, and as stated already by another person here, a lot of the PS5 releases have a PS4 counterpart. 

This price increase should push everyone away from buying a PS5 even more, and don’t buy from scalpers online. Hold off and wait for the 2nd version of the PS5 to come out, buy one then or buy a discounted first generation PS5 in the future. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JediKnight_327 said:

I never buy the first model of a console, especially at RRP but I bought the PS5 at retail for £450, and I cant say its been worth it. I've only played 2 games which I couldnt have played on the PS4 and those are ratchet and clank and Astros play room. Fun and cute games, but not worth upgrading for so you can play them immediately.

I wouldnt recommend it at £450 let alone £480. Its worth waiting because even the games that are yet to come out will still be cross-gen games. And whatever you do, dont go digital only, at some point they'll make the same excuse to charge £79.99 for games instead of £69.99.

Compare the PLAYSTATION 5 and the PLAYSTATION 4 and you will eventually understand, why people want to buy the newest console. Good luck!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I’m sort of amazed there was no change in pricing for the US version.  Inflation is a global phenomenon.

It likely has to do with Microsoft being more competition here.

It lends itself more to the notion of accounting. All the revenue from converting non-USD to USD will be a big financial hit if they’re too far out of parity. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I’m sort of amazed there was no change in pricing for the US version.  Inflation is a global phenomenon.

It likely has to do with Microsoft being more competition here.

Because this isn't really a price increase. Per my reply back on page 3, this is a price adjustment to bring cost in all markets back in line. I guess some PR person decided it would be easier to word it as a price increase, but it ultimately isn't (yes I realize it is an actual additional cost in real world dollars in some regions).

Currencies are quite volatile and there are significant changes this year related to variable inflation and other global factors. The noted price changes basically bring the cost to the equivalent of $500 US in all regions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Because this isn't really a price increase. Per my reply back on page 3, this is a price adjustment to bring cost in all markets back in line. I guess some PR person decided it would be easier to word it as a price increase, but it ultimately isn't (yes I realize it is an actual additional cost in real world dollars in some regions).

Currencies are quite volatile and there are significant changes this year related to variable inflation and other global factors. The noted price changes basically bring the cost to the equivalent of $500 US in all regions.

Fair enough.

But $500 in 2022 is not the same as $500 in 2020 so it is relatively much cheaper to buy a PS5 today in the US.  Yes inflation exists every year but it is historically 2-3% not the double digit figure we have been seeing lately.  

Firstly the comments on here about the 5b lawsuit did give me a good laugh as its certainly not going anywhere and ill be shocked if it did so thank you for that!  Its certainly a sign of the times more then anything on the price front but it isnt as bad as the yall who like to hate on sony rather play games like to think and i think a price increase would hurt xbox more then playstation as if the series s is 350 instead of the current msrp and then you have to pay gamepass along with there proprietory ssd its not that cheap...

Lastly for the people who havent enjoyed there ps5 Ive had mine since November 2020 and its so much more enjoyable to use for media ps4 and plus ps5 games and its certainly quieter so it was well worth for me personally and i honestly i feel like most of you who really should look at more non triple aaa games to play as theres a big world of gaming out there ?

Edited by ARobinGaming
Spelling error
  • Like 4

I actually was considering buying a PS5 soon. I don't think anyone is saying that the PS5 is not a more powerful machine with it's pros and cons. I suppose for the people saying it's "pocket change" it's more than worth it.

It's not for me, and I'm too old to care if people think it's sour grapes. My entertainment needs are more then adequately met. 

2 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Bad press release 

Nintendo did though, they made the OLED Switch $50 more expensive without putting $50 worth of components in it...And Microsoft will Microsoft and burn money.

It was already difficult justifying spending that much money on a PS5 since I will be playing mostly games that are also available on the PS4. The only problem with my PS4 Pro is that it makes a lot of noise when playing certain games but I think I can hold off for another year and hopefully they'll release an updated model by then, although I highly doubt it given the supply situation.

20 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

As someone who’s had the PS5 since release, I can tell anyone that doesn’t have one still that you’re not missing out on much honestly. The current PS5 library doesn’t warrant buying one right now, and as stated already by another person here, a lot of the PS5 releases have a PS4 counterpart. 

This price increase should push everyone away from buying a PS5 even more, and don’t buy from scalpers online. Hold off and wait for the 2nd version of the PS5 to come out, buy one then or buy a discounted first generation PS5 in the future. 

Gotta disagree here. I've also had the PS5 since launch and wouldn't have it any other way. There may not be more than handful of games that are "truly" exclusive to the PS5/Xbox Series gen, but good lord would I not want to play most of these games' last gen versions. In the few times I've used my PS4 in the last couple of years just navigating the menus alone feels like an absolute slog compared to the PS5.

Edited by BENJAM1N_LINUS
  • Like 4