**Really depressing.**

modest_undue1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Up until the last 10 - 15 years, gaming was a niche hobby that had a lot of geeks and nerds. I was with a bunch of nerds back in high school who were really into their Nintendo, Sony and Xbox. This continued a bit into college, then when real life caught up they had to drop gaming and focus on life priorities.

During my school years (up to the early '00s), gaming was strictly associated with the PC. Consoles were not a topic, unlike who had the best graphics card.

16 hours ago, Ultraxian said:

Shit dude that's like your heating for almost a week. Enjoy the game though wrapped up in your extra blankets.

I did have some people I played destiny and other stuff with but they all kinda just disappeared some are on steam, some moved console some got married others just fell off the face of the planet while I struggle on alone (literally) collecting meaningless trophys as I have nothing else in my life except work.

Now that is depressing.

(Just to clarify yes I have depression I've had it a very long time and yes I am getting help but with covid and shit it took a steep downward spiral which I am slowly climbing out of.

Take a long walk in nature if you can, that shit really helps. I do it often when I'm having a fear of death episode. Gaming understandably can't tackle that.

2 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Well that's not really true, adults back then did participate in gaming. It just wasn't video games, but instead it was wargaming or table top games. 

Dungeons & Dragons dates back to the 1980s and is still a popular format for western RPGs. 

2 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

I don't see where gaming was anymore main stream hobby when the ps2 hit than it was when the NES was at it's peak.  Many of the franchises you see today all date back to the NES.  Ninja Gadien, Metal Gear, Legend of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Mortal kombat, Contra, Metroid.  In the 80's arcades were also mainstream.  Arcade machines were in every place of recreation.  Public swimming pools, theaters, the 7-Eleven, Airports.  Every kid I knew had a NES and we spent plenty of time playing them.  You would be hard pressed to find a kid that didn't like video games.  Only real difference today is it has a more global reach and adults also play it.  During the NES days not nearly as many adults participated in gaming as today. 

Lots of Gen Xers played video games. Baby Boomers largely didn’t understand the appeal of video games. 

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Baby Boomers largely didn’t understand the appeal of video games. 

When the 1st home consoles came out Atari and NES It had instant appeal to children and the parents or baby boomers just wrote it off as a kids toy.  Kids in the 80's and 90's who grew up with it continued to game into adulthood.    Had the baby boomers grew up with gaming console more than likely they would have become adult gamers too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

For the past couple years I've found it depressing seeing the people at the top of the leaderboards spending each day of their life playing a ton of shovelware they don't enjoy playing... just to stay at the top

Many of us have been saying this for years. We'll probably not know what these guys are feeling since most of them don't post here.

Still, I wonder if Ikemenzi has now decided enough is enough. He has like lvl 2032 and no 2 VeinsDanser has something like 2010 (by the screenshot on Ikemenzi's twitter), but now Ikemenzi is 2033 and Veins is 2028.

It seems after passing LVL 2000 and the first get to over 8 million points, maybe Ikemenzi has also had enough.

Hakoom will soon be out of the top 10. He's (for the most part) back to playing real games again. Which is great.

But yeah, whether it's right at the top or right at the bottom or profiles that just suddenly stop, there's all sorts of depressing stories that lay beneath.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, olliebear66t said:

Speaking of trophy hunters disappearing. Remember the guy CMH777? He used to be really funny hahaha

He is still around but he is not a creator anymore, I think he got tired and wanted back to not being known for content creation, something like that, for what I know he change all his twitter, his psn id and deleted his main youtube channel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlindMango said:

For the past couple years I've found it depressing seeing the people at the top of the leaderboards spending each day of their life playing a ton of shovelware they don't enjoy playing... just to stay at the top

Also adding Jim Ryan + Sony California as part of the  depression, ofc many did move on with less interesting titles this days, Sony had more variety but ended for sure in 2021. 

• Like 1

Damn reminds me of this sierra girl  l forget the full psn name now, played lots of games together and lots of boosting. She was a bit older than me I think 5 years difference.

the last time we talked was in 2014 and that's about the last trophy they earned, I'm hoping life just got in the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Dungeons & Dragons dates back to the 1980s and is still a popular format for western RPGs. 

D&D dates back way further than the 1980's, it's from the 1970's and existed in a time before Star Wars. D&D inspired the Ultima series which had it's first proto installment in 1979(this was later retconned into an official Ultima entry decades later) and it was a real first attempt to take the rules from D&D and con consolidate it into a game.

D&D itself took it's inspiration from Gettysburg which is a game from the 1950's.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Yep, and it’s the reason why I’m much more happier just playing the games I want.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BlindMango said:

If I see one of those people “disappear”, I’ll simply assume they saw the light and realized it was pointless / not fun and that it tainted their idea of gaming to the point of stopping… not that they’ve died!

• Like 2

Not registered on here but Wellyturbo died 30/12/21 of an illness called Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD).

My cousin and my best friend. He just disappeared and I thought he was off being a nob somewhere or that he'd pulled. I didn't know what was happening until it was already too late. I still feel guilty ? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yep, and it’s the reason why I’m much more happier just playing the games I want.

The top of the leaderboards are just like some frat boy’s competition to have sex with the most people. Eventually they’re just driving around looking for prostitutes to stay competitive, it’s the gaming equivalent of bedding every toothless local meth-head, thai ladyboy and resident of “Bubba’s Plus-Sized Gal’s Ranch” in Nevada.

I like to look at the quality of a profile, when I see a profile that’s mostly just Souls games and Monster Hunter platinums then that’s someone interesting, that’s an achiever, that’s this guy...

1*leeWVtR_r7Xk7kBrrzmq9g.png

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 2

An old classmate of mine killed himself about two months ago.

Last Sunday I was clearing out my friends list, deleting the ones I don't talk to or don't play with, as I don't like having a clustered list. Came across his profile.

I couldn't bring myself to delete it.

Edited by RomanPeirs
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

The top of the leaderboards are just like some frat boy’s competition to have sex with the most people. Eventually they’re just driving around looking for prostitutes to stay competitive, it’s the gaming equivalent of bedding every toothless local meth-head, thai ladyboy and resident of “Bubba’s Plus-Sized Gal’s Ranch” in Nevada.

Both are reaching the bottom of the totem pole for their dopamine hits.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Whats more depressing is that most of them still dont manage to make it anywhere near the top ?

• Like 3

@LastMinuteSavior

Good Luck on your surgery

I never thought this topic would blow up! Most of my forums get lost in the database. But this? This just made my day with all the repiles I got. Thank you all!!

Edited by modest_undue1
  • Like 2

On 06/09/2022 at 3:14 PM, kindajustin said:

If they're anything like my PSN friends who flat out disappeared over the past few years, hopefully they just got married and had a kid or something lol.

I started trophy hunting after I got married and had a kid. I guess I like to do the opposite with most things. But yes it very hard to find time for gaming with work, wife and kids. Have to be a ninja and make the most of spare time you have. Which means gaming late at night, or super early in morning.

On 9/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I don’t necessarily agree. Stuff like Final Fantasy VII was extremely popular. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was popular. 

I will say that the PS2 generation was when gaming actually became mainstream. But there is no doubt that it wasn’t anywhere as popular then than it is now. 

Gaming is the #1 entertainment medium. Movies and television have both lagged behind.

Wut. The statement was 'mainstream since the 90s when triple AAA was coined', you then disagreed by listing the two most mainstream games of the late 90s that were both triple AAA games.

23 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

I don't see where gaming was anymore main stream hobby when the ps2 hit than it was when the NES was at it's peak.  Many of the franchises you see today all date back to the NES.  Ninja Gadien, Metal Gear, Legend of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Mortal kombat, Contra, Metroid.  In the 80's arcades were also mainstream.  Arcade machines were in every place of recreation.  Public swimming pools, theaters, the 7-Eleven, Airports.  Every kid I knew had a NES and we spent plenty of time playing them.  You would be hard pressed to find a kid that didn't like video games.  Only real difference today is it has a more global reach and adults also play it.  During the NES days not nearly as many adults participated in gaming as today. 

The argument I see most often is mainstream and popular aren't the same thing. Games were mainstream since the Atari 2600 in that they were affordable toys that every store dealt in. Popularity started with the NES and hit it's pitch around the PS2. My opinion for this is the PS2 days had hit a point in technology where the graphics were 'good enough' that outlets that weren't game related or toy stores started covering them. The big hit was Sports Illustrated having an article on some Madden game.

Moving back to topic, I find it stranger when someone I knew in years past is suddenly online just long enough to comment on a Steam achievements or like a PS4 platinum before going back offline for years. Like they stopped existing, them exited the backrooms for four minutes, only to fall into Narnia.