Playstation 5 a flop?

vanessaking2

The only thing I really miss from my ps4 is game folders.

Except that the ps5 is better for everything.

I have read that someone keep the ps4 only to play VR games, actually there is an USB adaptor to make it works on ps5, I have not tried it yet but I suppose it works fine.

17 minutes ago, Sombroff said:

The only thing I really miss from my ps4 is game folders.

Except that the ps5 is better for everything.

I have read that someone keep the ps4 only to play VR games, actually there is an USB adaptor to make it works on ps5, I have not tried it yet but I suppose it works fine.

You can make folders on the ps5 now. https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/how-to-make-folders-on-ps5

• Like 1

Not really a flop, it proves that this community will buy everything even if there is no valid reason for it yet, some even buy it from scalpers for a ridiculous price, and will buy it all over again once the inevitable pro version comes out, all while the PS4 backlogs keep growing, reminds me a bit of Apple customers. Financially it is not a flop either given the number of units sold despite the artificially created shortage, and honestly this ugly piece of crap selling well is not all that surprising given that there is no competition anymore. Nintendo is not a competitor due to people who are into Playstation not being super likely to also be into the weak nintendo console given that it is more for casuals or nintendo license only fans at this point. PC is not a competitor because the vast majority of people have a PC as well as a console at this point so it is not an either or question. Xbox is not a competitor anymore because there is even less of a reason to buy new Xbox console than there is to buy a PS5 simply due to the fact that it does not offer anything unique to justify the purchase.

In terms of Sony giving valid reasons or value to buy the PS5, yes it is a massive disappointment in that regard, which will most likely take a few more years to get fixed.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DeadDexterous said:

I've got a couple of PS5's, for each of my kids. I play it from time to time.

I'm happy on PS4.

Really can't give you many positives about the PS5 at all. It loads faster and games look minimally better not that I can see it. Kids say they can.

I don't like the PS5 console itself or the flimsy stand it sits on, really don't like the controllers ! They feel like Xbox controllers. Much prefer the PS4 ones.

Don't like the PS5 layout, everything looks all over the place to me.

The PS4 is simple in that respect with the games, messages, trophies etc all the sections in a line.

I feel it's overpriced, just to get the one console and a few decent games your looking at about £700 or well over £1000 if your buying a couple. That's not small change to most parents.

So yeah overall I'd say it's not a flop because sales decide all but I'm not a fan and I know a few others who don't like it at all.

So as long the store is open and the games all work on PS4 I'll be staying on PS4.

interesting take

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Not really a flop, it proves that this community will buy everything even if there is no valid reason for it yet, some even buy it from scalpers for a ridiculous price, and will buy it all over again once the inevitable pro version comes out, all while the PS4 backlogs keep growing, reminds me a bit of Apple customers. Financially it is not a flop either given the number of units sold despite the artificially created shortage, and honestly this ugly piece of crap selling well is not all that surprising given that there is no competition anymore. Nintendo is not a competitor due to people who are into Playstation not being super likely to also be into the weak nintendo console given that it is more for casuals or nintendo license only fans at this point. PC is not a competitor because the vast majority of people have a PC as well as a console at this point so it is not an either or question. Xbox is not a competitor anymore because there is even less of a reason to buy new Xbox console than there is to buy a PS5 simply due to the fact that it does not offer anything unique to justify the purchase.

In terms of Sony giving valid reasons or value to buy the PS5, yes it is a massive disappointment in that regard, which will most likely take a few more years to get fixed.

consoles in general are for casual players, the playstation brand is similar to something like Apple. It's mainstream. Both consoles are competitors whether you like it or not. Out of all three consoles, the switch is the only one that makes sense since it has more that 5(!) games that are exclusive to it.

12 minutes ago, shipper321 said:

consoles in general are for casual players, the playstation brand is similar to something like Apple. It's mainstream. Both consoles are competitors whether you like it or not. Out of all three consoles, the switch is the only one that makes sense since it has more that 5(!) games that are exclusive to it.

Yeah no. Having a graphics and FPS fetish on an expensive PC does not stop you from being a casual, being really into downloading community mods does not stop you from being a casual, and being on console does not make you a casual by default, and as I already mentioned the vast majority of people who own a console also own a PC to play games anyway. Casual is not an absolute term either, I remember the Nintendo Wii being labeled as the most casual of consoles by many console players at the time, a console for housewifes and kids given many of the games that were on it, and guess what, housewifes and young kids are viewed as casual because of their limited gaming choices, time and commitment to games in general.

Obviously the Switch has more exclusives at this point, the thing is over 5 years old. Nintendo consoles are for you if you are into the typical Nintendo licenes like Zelda and Mario, and party games, they will deliver a worse gaming catalogue than the others overall though as the generation actually arrives in 2-3 years or so, which is why they are not direct competition with such a different experience it offers.

Edited by Dauersack

lol. It's only been like 2 years...

Speaking of actual flops, how about Ouya, or Google Stadia?

Amusing Google Stadia is such a flop, there's probably not even a Stadia forum that exists, in order to post something like this on, and do people even remember Google Stadia?

PS5 has sold well, imagine how much more would have been sold if you could actual walk into a store and buy one at anytime?!

I don't care how bad or good the PlayStation 5 is selling. I have said multiple times that I have lost a lot of faith in the AAA gaming industry over the past few years. The political bullshit surrounding The Last of Us Part II and the Cyberpunk 2077 launch disaster are just two of many things I have issues with.

This isn't to mention that our world is far more politicized, we have become more polar and people in general have become a little more soft as time moves on.

At this point in my life I have a bookshelf stuffed full of physical PS4 games. I may still buy PS3 physical games that haven't had any re-release in over a decade but that's looking more unlikely. This is probably the best time for me to cash in on PS4 games released a few years ago that are dirt cheap. I hope the system doesn't fall down the same route as PS3 games have, entering some realm of 'gaming collectors' nightmare where people like MetalJesusRocks and James Rolfe who already have tons of income can just buy up an older game while the average person has to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Outside of maybe two or three PS5 games, there is absolutely nothing that impresses me about this generation. Microsoft may as well be PC at this point, because Xbox is now fully integrated with Windows and the console is just a way for people who can't afford a decent PC to play their games. Even so, Steam is more enticing, although their achievement system is a complete joke.

Older games and indie/AA production titles appeal to me far more than modern 4K AAA games. Sorry God of War Ragnarok, but you just don't appeal to me like you used to back in the day. Horizon Forbidden West is..... the same open world game we've been playing for the past decade, albeit with 4K graphics, 60 FPS capability and a female protagonist who isn't overly sexualized, but isn't exactly all too attractive either.

The masses can buy the latest games and consoles. As a more dedicated gamer, I prefer quality over quantity. Impressive looking PS5 generation games by their own just doesn't cut it for me.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Ragnarok
  • Like 4

I love my ps5 how quiet it is how fast things load.  There are things I don't like.  The controllers are made cheaply and have all sorts of issues from stick drift to a squeaky right trigger.  Sounds like a door hinge sometimes.  the l3 button sometimes will start sticking.  they pretty much last about 6 months.  Hopefully someone sues the shit out of sony for selling broken controllers.  Other than that i love the ps5.  call it a flop if you like but it's a leap into the future in many ways from the ps4.  I still play my ps4 quite a bit but can't wait to completely replace it someday with a ps5 slim.

Damn controllers though.  ps3 controllers you could smash against the wall.   Ps4 you could drop.  Ps5 falls apart just paying the game. 

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't care how bad or good the PlayStation 5 is selling. I have said multiple times that I have lost a lot of faith in the AAA gaming industry over the past few years. The political bullshit surrounding The Last of Us Part II and the Cyberpunk 2077 launch disaster are just two of many things I have issues with.

This isn't to mention that our world is far more politicized, we have become more polar and people in general have become a little more soft as time moves on.

At this point in my life I have a bookshelf stuffed full of physical PS4 games. I may still buy PS3 physical games that haven't had any re-release in over a decade but that's looking more unlikely. This is probably the best time for me to cash in on PS4 games released a few years ago that are dirt cheap. I hope the system doesn't fall down the same route as PS3 games have, entering some realm of 'gaming collectors' nightmare where people like MetalJesusRocks and James Rolfe who already have tons of income can just buy up an older game while the average person has to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Outside of maybe two or three PS5 games, there is absolutely nothing that impresses me about this generation. Microsoft may as well be PC at this point, because Xbox is now fully integrated with Windows and the console is just a way for people who can't afford a decent PC to play their games. Even so, Steam is more enticing, although their achievement system is a complete joke.

Older games and indie/AA production titles appeal to me far more than modern 4K AAA games. Sorry God of War Ragnarok, but you just don't appeal to me like you used to back in the day. Horizon Forbidden West is..... the same open world game we've been playing for the past decade, albeit with 4K graphics, 60 FPS capability and a female protagonist who isn't overly sexualized, but isn't exactly all too attractive either.

The masses can buy the latest games and consoles. As a more dedicated gamer, I prefer quality over quantity. Impressive looking PS5 generation games by their own just doesn't cut it for me.

The only problem i see with this day and age is how so many AAA games are made into interactive movies that are piss easy and only feature assisted gameplay.  Even without the accessibility options like you find in TLOU 2 and 1 remake the games have too much aim assist and focus on easy gameplay.    The whole point of video games was to play and be challenged.  Sony seems to be the driving force in taking gameplay out of video games.  Pop in the disc press a few buttons and complete everything the 1st time you play it.  I remember when the ps2 came out and we 1st started getting cut scenes being so damn annoyed when games would stop the gameplay to show a movie.  Especially the ones that did it often and not just at the end of missions.  Coming from the Retro era it didn't seem like gaming. At lest now when they go into a cut scene it's high quality shit.  I just don't get why games can't feature that sweaty palm style try over and over gameplay in-between.   Games like spider man was so easy on hard even.  it made no sense.   Make hard actually hard or just don't bother .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

That's putting it lightly... you've been reminding us several times a day for the last couple of years ?

1 hour ago, polar_bst said:

You are old we get it. 

1 hour ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

He's not even that old lol. The post comes across more like sour grapes IMO.

Do you guys expect me to agree? This thread was already toxic well before I offered my input on it.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1