Playstation 5 a flop?

vanessaking2

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a flop, but for me personally I have had mine for over year and hardly ever play on it.  There really isn't a whole lot of incentive to using it other than faster loading times.  The game library just isn't there for me to want to, and this is two years into the system.  It doesn't really feel like much has been developed specifically for the next generation systems.  I might not be paying close enough attention though, but it feels like the ps4 had more going for it by this time in it's life cycle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Stadia.

Now *that* is a flop.

Agreed,

For the PS5 it has good titles.

You see a big difference in loading speeds compared to PS4. (to add to this these titles do need to be PS5 specific)

They offer the PS5 and PS4 title mostly bundled this is specific to allow those who not have a PS5 to enjoy the game on the PS4.

• Like 1

Every console generation people complain there are no exclusives. Are people going to tell me Knack on the PS4 launch was better than the games PS5 launched with? It took over 2 years for Bloodborne to release. Of course Sony is still releasing games for the PS4. Why would they abandon that system with over 100 million owners when the PS5 only has a fraction of that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sony cannot manufacture PS5s fast enough to meet demand...

... to the extent that that product is difficult to find for regular purchase a full 2 years after its initial launch, and PS5s still regularly sell on the grey market for well above RRP.

There may be legitimate arguments that the PS5 has not been fully exploited - the lack of exclusives etc... but "flop" is a commercial term, and commercially, it is clearly a resounding success.

I can think of no definition in the known universe that could consider that product to be a "flop"...

... except perhaps the churlish affectations and rationalising self-delusions of those unable to secure one.

I would argue that the lack of supply has slowed down the transition - developers don't want to switch to focus on PS5 when a huge chunk of the gamer base can't access the console yet. I think the shift is starting, and expect we are probably the final few massive PS4 AAA games. By this time next year, I suspect there will be few multi-generation games.

That said, I don't think we will have the hard transition that you saw from PS3 to PS4. The PS4 is still a very good console, and for lots of folks, like OP, that really are only playing casual spam games, there's little point in upgrading.

Personally I've not used my PS4, other than for remote play, in 18 months. The load times, download speeds and overall performance are so much better on the PS5, even when playing PS4 games, there's little use in having both consoles active. I'm using my PS3 more than the physical PS4 console at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vanessaking2 said:

I read this and now I am glad that I do not own a PS5 yet. I am happy with my PS4.

If Sony does not act soon it will become the biggest Playstation flop.

As soon as you first try the brilliant ps5 you will hardly ever turn your ps4 on again. No one can ever say this gen is a flop. Such a huge step forward. 

Im sure people just love to moan

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I would argue that the lack of supply has slowed down the transition - developers don't want to switch to focus on PS5 when a huge chunk of the gamer base can't access the console yet. I think the shift is starting, and expect we are probably the final few massive PS4 AAA games. By this time next year, I suspect there will be few multi-generation games.

That said, I don't think we will have the hard transition that you saw from PS3 to PS4. The PS4 is still a very good console, and for lots of folks, like OP, that really are only playing casual spam games, there's little point in upgrading.

Personally I've not used my PS4, other than for remote play, in 18 months. The load times, download speeds and overall performance are so much better on the PS5, even when playing PS4 games, there's little use in having both consoles active. I'm using my PS3 more than the physical PS4 console at this point.

Yup - agree on all points. 

The back-compatibility aspect was always going to blur the lines a bit, and stop any "hard-transition" really - but like you, I barely touch my PS4 now - it's just set up as a dedicated VR machine now. Everything else works smoother, faster, and better on the PS5.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yup - agree on all points. 

The back-compatibility aspect was always going to blur the lines a bit, and stop any "hard-transition" really - but like you, I barely touch my PS4 now - it's just set up as a dedicated VR machine now. Everything else works smoother, faster, and better on the PS5.

I should add - if it were not for backwards compatibility, my opinion would likely be very different. In terms of stand alone must play on PS5 games, I could see the argument the PS5 has failed to live up to expectations. At this point, if I could only play PS4 games on my PS4, probably would still be using that console upwards of 80% of the time, and the PS5 would be collecting dust.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vanessaking2 said:

I read this and now I am glad that I do not own a PS5 yet. I am happy with my PS4.

If Sony does not act soon it will become the biggest Playstation flop.

And I am happy with my Playstation 5. I love her.

It's worth the 700 euros I had to pay for it.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Every console generation people complain there are no exclusives. Are people going to tell me Knack on the PS4 launch was better than the games PS5 launched with? It took over 2 years for Bloodborne to release. Of course Sony is still releasing games for the PS4. Why would they abandon that system with over 100 million owners when the PS5 only has a fraction of that. 

The fact they are still releasing games is why people are still playing the PS4 instead especially considering all of these cross-gen games are only marginally better on the PS5. 

Not really giving people a big incentive to buy a PS5 until the PS4 is completely abandoned. Continued support of the PS4 is only holding everything back which includes getting PS5 quality games which we don't yet have really. If we had those next-gen exclusive games that look and feel like a next-gen game, that'd definitely entice more people to buy the console. 

The good news is that we are finally starting to see the transition and the PS4 is getting abandoned and more developers are focusing entirely on the PS5 and its advanced hardware which will only produce better quality games on the PS5 and what people expected out of the PS5 to begin with. Not just be a console that plays slightly juiced up PS4 games as it currently stands now.