Server Closure December 8th 2023

MrHealthy

Good luck, everyone. When I did all the trials with a buddy a couple years back, it took us a couple days and there were quite a few server connection issues - I'm sure it's only gotten worse since then. On the flip side, the single-player trials aren't too bad, and combat in custom trials actually does count toward the main game's trophy progress; for example, it's ridiculously easy to get Poetry in Motion here by setting up a custom trial with lots of Demons, then playing as Lucia and flying around while spamming her projectile as fast as you can, which does minimal damage but is a homing attack that is a guaranteed combo builder. Much easier than doing it with Dante. Same goes for the kill trophies, as it happens - all your kills of Demons, Gluttons, etc. count toward progress on that. Think the only exception is the Health and Mana fountain trophies. I personally got 11 of the base-game trophies done here (everything but the fountain, story, and collectible trophies), and you'll probably get the same or close to it pretty naturally as you play. Use this excellent gameplay guide for assistance on each and every trial, and let's get it done!

• Like 4

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully, I only have the single player and 2-player trials left for the DLC (and a story run or two for the plat). So, 6 months should be plenty of time to finish the online trophies. If you do get your hands on a copy of the DLC, the trials in it are really the only hard part. The community levels bit was relatively easy. Though, you will need to make sure your EA account has been logged into recently. I ran into issues where the game wouldn't connect me to the online servers until I did that. Then, everything worked fine.

4 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

Is it doable to beat these online DLC trophies right from the very beginning? I haven’t played the game yet.

Functionally, yes.

I would recommend playing through to the point in the story with the talking boat (you'll know what I'm referring to when you see it) because by then most of the basic mechanics will have been explained. You can do this on the easiest difficulty to save you any hassle, but that way the harder Trials won't leave you frustrated from just button mashing.

Something I've seen sorely neglected in every thread on this website is the fact that the Trials of Lucia DLC can save you an entire playthrough on the hardest difficulty when it comes to the trophy Poetry in Motion.

The standard approach for this, for people without the DLC, has been to complete an entire playthrough getting the Holy upgrades, then on the (unavoidable, regardless) second playthrough select the hardest difficulty so that on the very last zone of the game you can fight a really large wave of enemies who can withstand the 666 hits for the trophy. This is a pain because you can't chapter skip and some of the bosses become irritating at higher difficulty even with your stats enhanced. Do not bother with this unless you are someone who is reading this after it's already too late and the DLC servers have been shutdown.

There are countless user created levels in the DLC that allow you to get the 666 hits in less than a minute, just look for them using the search feature. The level creator sets what abilities you have so you'll already be equipped with the tools needed, and the enemies will be made strong enough and abundant enough to take the hits; you don't even need to successfully complete the level or naturally end the combo, just have it say +666 and you'll get the trophy to pop even if you take the hit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

I think I’m just going to take the L and be content with 54/55 trophies here. It’s been a decade since I played the game and I can’t imagine how long it would take me to try to figure out how to play this thing again. 

Preach brother

im with you here

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moostache7 said:

Something I've seen sorely neglected in every thread on this website is the fact that the Trials of Lucia DLC can save you an entire playthrough on the hardest difficulty when it comes to the trophy Poetry in Motion.

Well, I did mention this a few posts above you...

• Like 1