The Last of Us Part II PS5 version leaked by composer

Figured this was coming, frankly it took longer than I expected. 

Still never played this though...I have the PS4 version on disc, and just haven't gotten around to it. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game, so I was never in a hurry. But I guess if it's just something like a $10 upgrade, then I'll just get that and play it on PS5 instead. 

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Either they complain about the remakes/remasters, or they complain about new games.  One of those cost companies a lot less money for the privilege lol.

Honestly, there's a part of me that can understand why companies lean so heavily on the remakes/remasters.  Not that aggressively mediocre games shouldn't get called out as such, but why get pummeled like Square did with Forspoken when you have multiple amazing games in your catalog to re-release that you know will do well.  The world is a different place than it used to be, social media can kill a studio (or try) with one bad release.

People complaining either way goes with anything. You're never going to please everybody. 

Of course it's easy to understand why they do it, they cost much less to do and it's less of a risk re-releasing a game that already has seen much success. 

I speak for myself, but I'd much rather take a chance with something new than sticking with the same ol' thing. Even if that something new doesn't turn out that good like Forspoken, I'd still take that over remasters and remakes of games I've already just recently played and don't even need to be remade/remastered. 

Like I said, I'd be all for it if they did this remake treatment to much older games that actually should and need to be remade. But that would mean building the game from the ground up again and that costs more money to develop whereas if you take a recently released game and slap a new coat of paint on it, that's a much easier thing to do and is more cost effective for the studios. The negative is the consumers don't get the best out of these studios that they can get, they just get the safest thing because that's what can guarantee the studio money. Pretty much following the same trend as the movie industry and cinema isn't exactly at a high point right now because of it. 

I'm sure Naughty Dog wants to dump this out there to coincide with the 2nd season of the show like they did with the remake for Part I and capitalize on the timing but all this is accomplishing is pushing back the release of Part III which is what everybody would prefer over a 'remake' of Part II at this point. 

14 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

People complaining either way goes with anything. You're never going to please everybody. 

Of course it's easy to understand why they do it, they cost much less to do and it's less of a risk re-releasing a game that already has seen much success. 

I speak for myself, but I'd much rather take a chance with something new than sticking with the same ol' thing. Even if that something new doesn't turn out that good like Forspoken, I'd still take that over remasters and remakes of games I've already just recently played and don't even need to be remade/remastered.

It's more than complaining.  Social media doesn't seem to exist for much more anymore than people dogpiling on whatever the story of the month is, yet it as such an incredible reach and influence.  AAA games in particular cost more than ever to make, and it's easier to happen/harder to predict just how devastating that often unjustified PR hellstorm can be for a studio.

Yeah, they do it because it's cheaper and less risky.  But when the risk is literally the world turning on you because your game is meme-able, directly and immediately damaging the future of the studio before they even can think about breaking even, effecting your livelihood and the livelihoods of your employees... I can understand why more and more companies are just deciding to playing it safe.  Beyond just saving a few bucks.

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, I’ve waited to play it for a ps5 version, so I’m happy. Never understood the reason for being angry at a company releasing content that will serve to make some people happy. 

Naughty Dog has already given us a lot of great content, if you somehow have cleared you’re whole backlog, there are lots of other studios making new stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's more than complaining.  Social media doesn't seem to exist for much more anymore than people dogpiling on whatever the story of the month is.  AAA games in particular cost more than ever to make, and it's easier to happen/harder to predict just how devastating that often unjustified PR hellstorm can be for a studio.

Yeah, they do it because it's cheaper and less risky.  But when the risk is literally the world turning on you because your game is meme-able, directly and immediately damaging the future of the studio before they even can think about breaking even, effecting your livelihood and the livelihoods of your employees... I can understand why more and more companies are just deciding to playing it safe.  Beyond just saving a few bucks.

It works both ways.

Release a good quality product and social media will market the game for you for free because they actually like it and that's instant free marketing and free advertising. Key word there is 'good' though. 

Release a bad or subpar product? Then yeah, the social media mob will unleash the shitstorm on it. That's the ying and yang of social media. For every thing social media has destroyed there's another thing they majorly helped propel to huge success. You don't have to get everybody to like your product, it's impossible to do that anyway, but if you can get just 80% of people to like it? That's enough people liking it to overrule and silence the 20% that dislike/hate it. 

I don't think the standards and expectations have increased or anything, social media really called out a lot of the faults of gaming and instead of the developers rising up and making their products better to meet basic demands (ie. having a game not be broken at launch), they went the other way and decided to just play it more safe mostly because of their own faults and decrease in quality that was pointed out and brought to light by social media criticism. 

10 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

It is hardly a leak that another game is being released on PS5 as opposed to original ideas being thought of. Is anything original anymore or just old shit getting fired back out? 

Yet people still get wildly excited and buy it again......

There’s plenty of original ideas and new games. That talking point is bullshit. People always ignoring the new stuff so they bitch about something. 

12 hours ago, Akrioz said:

More unnecessary "remasters" for the sake of cashgrab. Why wait so long? Why not a free update when the PS5 released. The greed. They'll change the window dressing and ask for a 15$, classic.

It’s not unnecessary, sounds like they might be adding cut content for one. Dude this whole industry exists to make money, it’s not a greed thing, so you can be quiet. Some people (like me) have been waiting for an even better version of Last of Us Part 2. 

12 hours ago, SaiyanSenshi said:

I would love this very much! I haven’t played part 1 on the PS5 yet, so i can do both next to Each other when it comes out ?

I would have thought anybody that wanted to play Part 1 would have already lol. 

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

With all the different versions and re-releases, "The Last of Us" is making a strong play for the most ironically inappropriate title of a franchise since  "Final Fantasy" ?

Well it doesn’t refer to entries in the series so…

8 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I thought they already did a 60fps patch, figured that was going to be it.  I recently did my re-playthrough of Part I (the remakester) and Part II.  Phenomenal games.  It'll be a while before I touch either of them again but the Part I remakester was great and I'm curious what they add to Part II.

I can understand people questioning the need for the remasters and remakes, certainly wouldn't expect anyone to buy it or play it if it doesn't interest them... but the amount of vitriol people have for it is surprising.  Or it would be surprising if I didn't see almost every day how sad and cynical the gaming community can be.

They did a PS5 patch for the PS4 version, I assume that’s why this version would have cut content in some way.

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

It works both ways.

Release a good quality product and social media will market the game for you for free because they actually like it and that's instant free marketing and free advertising. Key word there is 'good' though. 

Release a bad or subpar product? Then yeah, the social media mob will unleash the shitstorm on it. That's the ying and yang of social media. For every thing social media has destroyed there's another thing they majorly helped propel to huge success. You don't have to get everybody to like your product, it's impossible to do that anyway, but if you can get just 80% of people to like it? That's enough people liking it to overrule and silence the 20% that dislike/hate it. 

I don't think the standards and expectations have increased or anything, social media really called out a lot of the faults of gaming and instead of the developers rising up and making their products better to meet basic demands (ie. having a game not be broken at launch), they went the other way and decided to just play it more safe mostly because of their own faults and decrease in quality that was pointed out and brought to light by social media criticism. 

I'm pretty sure the studio that made Forspoken was dismantled and absorbed back into Square-Enix.  A lot of times they don't really get a second chance like they used to, and that doesn't seem fair unless the game was just abhorrent.  While I guess you can rationalize it that it's not fair that gamers don't get perfect games all the time so fuck everyone that crosses us... but oft overlooked, you do have the option to just not buy these games and have a wealth of resources besides conventional social media on your side to make that educated decision.

I don't see the good as being all that good either.  A lot of times social media pumps up average games because of streamers and generates a lot of publicity that's undeserved, just like a lot of mediocre games get undeservingly destroyed.  Contrary to what people think, things are grossly in favor of the consumers right now since we can both not buy things we don't like and destroy things we don't buy, all while playing the victim... and companies playing it safe is the bed we're making for ourselves.

Edited by Dreakon13

Was expecting to hear this any day now, and there it is. The potential for added content in a game I already found to be overly long isn't exactly a selling point, personally, but it's certainly something I wouldn't mind replaying a prettier version of in the distant future, when it's heavily discounted. By then, my fatigue for the inordinate bleakness it subjected me to should have dissipated.

I'm still waiting to see something substantial about that original fantasy game these folks are supposedly working on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I can understand people questioning the need for the remasters and remakes, certainly wouldn't expect anyone to buy it or play it if it doesn't interest them... but the amount of vitriol people have for it is surprising.  Or it would be surprising if I didn't see almost every day how sad and cynical the gaming community can be.

I think it's more about the neccesity of this version. My comment was satirical because I love TLOU (it's on my rank above my picture); but I wish ND would spend more time in newer games.

They already said last month that they needed a lot more time on Factions, not surprising considering this is the third remaster in the last 18 months.

Also, a new game is on the works, whether it's Part III or not, I would like to see it before Andromeda crashes with the Milky Way.

Edited by Jeanoltt

3 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

I think it's more about the neccesity of this version. My comment was satirical because I love TLOU (it's on my rank above my picture); but I wish ND would spend more time in newer games.

They already said last month that they needed a lot more time on Factions, not surprising considering this is the third remaster in the last 18 months.

Also, a new game is on the works, whether it's Part III or not, I would like to see it before Andromeda crashes with the Milky Way.

Considering the lack of effort people are saying will be put into this, I don't think we have to worry too much about it derailing development of Part III or Factions 2 or whatever ND does next.

11 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

There’s plenty of original ideas and new games. That talking point is bullshit. People always ignoring the new stuff so they bitch about something. 

It’s not unnecessary, sounds like they might be adding cut content for one. Dude this whole industry exists to make money, it’s not a greed thing, so you can be quiet. Some people (like me) have been waiting for an even better version of Last of Us Part 2. 

I would have thought anybody that wanted to play Part 1 would have already lol. 

Well it doesn’t refer to entries in the series so…

They did a PS5 patch for the PS4 version, I assume that’s why this version would have cut content in some way.

I ofcourse did play it already many many times.. but im talking about the remake on ps5. I’m waiting for it to get cheaper.

Edited by SaiyanSenshi

On 14/07/2023 at 2:16 PM, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

"Playable dance" lol

I heard that Naughty Dog wanted to do something similar in Uncharted 4 but this was also cut. If true, not sure why they're so keen on this playable dance idea...

As for the remake, I've still got to play part 1 "remake" and 100% the PS4 version of part 2 (which thankfully has a 60fps patch) so it will be a while yet before I get to it.

Seriously, another enhanced re-release from them...? Naughty Dog have gotten increasingly lame, boring and predictable with these constant re-releases from the same two IPs, especially TLOU series. They're really about to have their third title in a row be another type of re-release. (1) Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (PS5/PC - 2022), (2) The Last of Us: "Part 1" (PS4 - 2022, PC - 2023), and now (3.) a PS5 version of The Last of Us: "Part II" after their (later than others) next-gen patch for the PS4 version? This has to be a first for a game developer with their level of status in the gaming industry. It's also a bit crazy they're re-releasing this highly controversial installment that, contrary to popular belief, also didn't sell all that well (understandably so) and did quite some damage to their reputation. I can see them using the upcoming Season 2 of HBO's accepted Season 1 adaptation of TLOU, or the whole show, as some leverage for the game this time around that they didn't have at 2020's launch.

It wouldn't be as bad if this effort were going into titles they developed in the past that need it more, obviously in this case their Jak and Daxter series (and Uncharted Drake's Fortune—though Druckmann himself, unsurprisingly, stated this year the company's done with the Uncharted series which probably includes whole ass remakes). Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro all had modern and native re-releases of some kind last gen and all to great success (despite some unfavorable design/artistic changes with them), but ND would still rather prioritize milking their same two "realistic-based" IPs from 7th & 8th gen (though as previously said it may have finally stopped with Uncharted just last year) and with the same insignificant re-release model (i.e., enhanced versions) which is further disappointing. 

This news follows the multi-delayed, poorly reviewed (by Bungie) standalone TLOU Factions that was serious enough for Sony to pull away resources from and allocate elsewhere (not surprising considering their MP design history in games from U2 post-launch onward). I honestly can't even say the re-release will be a good hold-over until/if that release either. Not really because the game already had a launch and will have presumably no new experience to offer, but because not even the core part of the game was ever good itself. And even if the heart of the game wasn't bad, which it is, it's still a super depressing game that's not fun to continuously play, especially on any secondary playthrough that most people will not want to do right after the previous one. The double standard, though, in it being perfectly fine to have comments praising the game after its release but not ones criticizing it is hysterical. I actually have a (coincidental) thing for liking "dark sequels" in franchises (ask for a list), but TLOU2 is way beyond just a darker sequel (story for another time)... This simply just ain't exciting news or worthwhile. Similar to the unsubstantial efforts seen in TLOU: "P1" comparatively, I also highly doubt TLOU: "P2" re-release will be remotely on par with Death Stranding: Director's Cut and Ghost of Tshusima: Director Cut

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

What do you mean by it didnt sell that well? It sold pretty well. Damage to their reputation? Because a bunch of karens didnt like the game? Controversy actually sells a game just as much when a game is banned in certain countries. What you cant have people want.

I thought the gameplay was pretty great and the stealth super well done. This whole meltdown over something people dont like because it doesnt fit their own personal narrative is depressing. If i dont like someone or something, i just move on. Its pretty easy.

Well said.

The idea that Naughty Dog’s reputation is suffering is ludicrous - they’re responsible for some of the most lauded games in the AAA space, have just come off the first ever near-universally critically acclaimed and successful game adaptation, and have managed to sell a game released 3 separate times, at full price, and still sell well with it.

Naughty Dog have had great games that were universally praised, (Uncharted series, TLoU), great games that were “controversial” (TLoU2), decent games that were acclaimed (Crash Bandicoot / J&D), great games that were under-appreciated (Lost Legacy)… and even bad games that were controversial (J&D2), and they have always, always continued to succeed, with their reputation entirely intact.

They’re doing just fine… 

…no matter how those Karens you mentioned try and spin it ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

What do you mean by it didnt sell that well? It sold pretty well. Damage to their reputation? Because a bunch of karens didnt like the game? Controversy actually sells a game just as much when a game is banned in certain countries. What you cant have people want.

I thought the gameplay was pretty great and the stealth super well done. This whole meltdown over something people dont like because it doesnt fit their own personal narrative is depressing. If i dont like someone or something, i just move on. Its pretty easy.

Its pretty easy for the people who insist on politicizing video games with controversial topics to just make video games, too. True, the game sold decent, but a game in a series as beloved as that one would sell well no matter what. It definitely doesn't boost sales, that's for sure.

As much as I love the game and show, I could care less about Ellies s*xual preferences. Whomever she is attracted to is largely irrelevant to the story. It's when such a big whoop is made over it is when you get hate and controversy. I can't imagine calling people "karens" is devoid of hate & controversy, btw.

I bought played and enjoyed the game and I'd replay the ps5 version too, but games made before people were chronically offended, on either side, were a lot more fun.

Regardless of how you feel about these issues, and I'm not defending either side (I just want to escape our sad, decaying hyperpolitical hatefest realm by playing video games that aren't centered around hyperpolitical hatefest topics),  I can't imagine "tackling social issues" and "chest binding" would play too big of a role in a story taking place 20+ years after a worldwide apocalypse caused by infectious mutants lol.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/last-us-part-ii-brings-queer-stories-pandemic-ravaged-dystopia-n1233073

https://www.insider.com/bella-ramsey-the-last-of-us-chest-binder-meaning-transgender-2023-2

https://www.them.us/story/ian-alexander-last-of-us-trans-role

Edited by GABAergic