Server Shutdown - Dec 8th, 2023

Needles

1 hour ago, WerneckH said:

I can't believe I'm caring this much about a game I haven't even started, but whatever.
If you guys feel like EA must change the requirements of the online trophies and patch the campaign trophies (and achievements, apparently they went bad on Steam), please create a ticket here: https://help.ea.com/us/help-show-more-intents/?product=mirrors-edge-catalyst

Pick one of the "Missing content" topics, I went for "Missing purchased items", but I think "Missing reward" also works.

EA can afford a week's worth of work of a couple of devs, considering patching and testing.

That is not going to help

Edited by Ghost-Zeus514

7 hours ago, Mr_Tenno777 said:

Good thing I have the trophies done in September. The question is now who knows when I will get the platinum? 

Honestly the platinum is really short, I just beat the game recently and there are like 4 dashes left, a few mission-specific collectibles and the parkour tricks. The most demanding part is the dashes, if you don't follow a video guide you will need to learn the course to make it in time, but that was the most fun and interesting part of the game for me.

Keep an eye out for the collectibles as you go. I would suggest that while exploring a new district, go for each building separately, and only move to the next one after looking in every corner. Or just follow a guide... but again, that's not as fun. 😛

On 12/9/2023 at 6:13 AM, Dry said:

One could always just play through the main story missions on an alt/dummy account then leave it afterwards.

I wanna reply to this smart comment because I often read here that players who can't get the platinum because of server shutdown or hard difficulties, don't want to play the game at all. That's really a shame and stupid. Since the trophies exists from Xbox and then PS3, the philosophy of playing games has been changed. 

I'm the first one sometimes to check before playing a game, the trophy guide and check if I can get the platinum but it doesn't stop me playing the game at the end. I have a good example : Mad Max. I couldn't play this game when it was released and I decided to play it after many years cause I could make done some other games that were more important to me. I started playing the game without checking the trophy guide surprisedly and towards the end, there was a trophy I didn't get so I checked the trophy guide and I just read that the only trophy which require server online was unobtainable because of the server shutdown. I was sad but that was okay for me, I did everything with this game and I loved it.

This is the most important, to enjoy the game, despite having or no the platinum. On this account, I have many games without platinum such as the series Yakuza or DMC but I loved playing these games. 

So yeah, if you don't wanna have a trophy log without platinum, just play the story mode of the game on a second account like you just said smartly. 

I just goy lucky that I was checking my backlog and this game that I didn't get the platinum that I heard that two trophies will be locked. Funny thought, I just add to unlock one online trophy. The last time I played Mirror's Edge was on 2016 😆. Will definitely get the platinum next year but it's not my priority. 

I have now an Canadian account cause I've been living here since many years and I decided to switch to a new fresh account because I buy the games here and also I can start from scratch to have a 100% platinum account approximately. About my European account, I'm happy with all what I've done so far since the PS3. 

1 hour ago, WerneckH said:

I can't believe I'm caring this much about a game I haven't even started, but whatever.
If you guys feel like EA must change the requirements of the online trophies and patch the campaign trophies (and achievements, apparently they went bad on Steam), please create a ticket here: https://help.ea.com/us/help-show-more-intents/?product=mirrors-edge-catalyst

Pick one of the "Missing content" topics, I went for "Missing purchased items", but I think "Missing reward" also works.

EA can afford a week's worth of work of a couple of devs, considering patching and testing.

The game was released since 7 years, it's normal for a company to shutdown the servers to be able for other future games to have dedicated servers for economy purpose. 

I played the game when it was released and if I wanted the platinum, I should've played it or else, be aware that this kind of situation can happen at any time.

Instead of giving energy and times for this, it's better to play other games :)

So guys, just take it not too much seriously and enjoy gaming first :)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mystic_Snake said:

-snip-

The latter half is a load of shit, though. A lot of people on that forum thread already got the online portion of the game done (on PC, this doesn't affect PS4/X1). Can't really say it's on them when they didn't expect every single achievement to break.

In regards to @WerneckH, how did you not know about this? This was one of the most heavily publicised EA STEALTH shutdowns (as in, no blog post or CM post announcing a closure) in some time. It was on general gaming forums with people posting reminders, and mainstream "journalism" sites covered it. If this was something like MoH or Syndicate (which also closed this year) I'd understand, but not this one.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, dieselmanchild said:

You know I’ve actually never played a Mirror’s Edge game… is this one any good? Since it’s on EA Play I thought I might use this shutdown as an excuse to give this on a whirl before it goes down. It looks pretty neat to me.

Echoing some of the previous replies from before, Catalyst was solid but I still prefer the original. The gameplay in Catalyst is good and they even added a few quality of life improvements to the running.

Sadly the story is forgettable and the soundtrack is not as good or as memorable as the first game. The open world was fine but again I prefer the more linear design of the first game.

I'm perplexed as to why they made the decision to reboot the franchise so soon after one game. Catalyst would have made much more sense as a sequel or even a prequel. Oh well, pretty sure the franchise is dead now regardless.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, shipper321 said:

The latter half is a load of shit, though. A lot of people on that forum thread already got the online portion of the game done (on PC, this doesn't affect PS4/X1). Can't really say it's on them when they didn't expect every single achievement to break.

In regards to @WerneckH, how did you not know about this? This was one of the most heavily publicised EA STEALTH shutdowns (as in, no blog post or CM post announcing a closure) in some time. It was on general gaming forums with people posting reminders, and mainstream "journalism" sites covered it. If this was something like MoH or Syndicate (which also closed this year) I'd understand, but not this one.

In fact, I might have reacted too abruptly because indeed, like you said EA didn't warn anyone or not enough ahead of time that they will shutdown the servers for this game. I completely understood the anger of players here. I didn't know that fact and I just got lucky with this one but I would've been angry too. Sorry, I didn't know about the fact that EA did shut down like that without noticing everyone and my comment would've been less harsh. 

Just wanna point out that unfortunately, it's not easy to track every game that the server will shut down one day and we are dependent from the developers/editors. Plus, that you are aware that games with online trophy requirement can't last forever. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand players here, just that on my personal opinion, trophies are trophies and just to make us feel like we've done everything with a game and we are happy about it and we did a good challenge but at the end, there are just virtual. Just remind us that before the trophies era, we were just playing the story mode or the online few times, at least it was like that on my side. 

So, I obviously hope the developers will do something to fix or the server will be back online for players that couldn't get the two trophies. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WerneckH said:

As much as I want to be cynical about this, I'm glad you didn't create a change.org petition or something similiar.

I don't think this will go anywhere, however when the servers for the Home Run gamemode in MoH: Warfighter went down me and a bunch of people did this same exact thing and it did get fixed. Whether by chance or by the bothering we put into the support rep, I couldn't say.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost-Zeus514 said:

That is not going to help

Hope it does, some cases where it did.

Specially more for who got all achievements blocked than for me who only lost online trophies.

5 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Nailed it. Took less time than even I thought. 

I laughed hard at the post, and maybe that was the reason I did mine.

HAHAHAHA

And this is the second time I ever did this, first and only other one being FIFA 12. That damn Euro DLC...

4 hours ago, Mystic_Snake said:

I wanna reply to this smart comment because I often read here that players who can't get the platinum because of server shutdown or hard difficulties, don't want to play the game at all. That's really a shame and stupid. Since the trophies exists from Xbox and then PS3, the philosophy of playing games has been changed. 

So yeah, if you don't wanna have a trophy log without platinum, just play the story mode of the game on a second account like you just said smartly.

I do that. I have a second account I use for testing games, before I decide to play them for platinum.
If I won't, I play it whenever I feel like it on my second account.

Thing is, PS3 Devil May Cry 4 is still in my backlog after all these years.

Games with higher priority are PS Plus games, and games with online stuff to be done, trophy-wise.

I'll eventually play it before DMC5, for story reasons. I doubt I'm getting through every challenge and difficulty, though.

Too many games to play, and between work and study, I don't have the time for everything I want to play.

That's why I'm also leaving trophies after I complete the last challenge I set myself to do.

Trophies are part of the experience, but they consume too much.

4 hours ago, shipper321 said:

Game and the series were way off my radar. Like I said above, too many stuff to play and I don't follow news from the game world.

For example, I learned about one-person-made games (and then small team games), and went on a binge around May getting games that were cheap and/or on sale.

That's how I learned how to find/track sales (https://psprices.com, by the way), and that's how I found Mirror's Edge again!

I got the game before server shutdown, and I usually do the research not to fall for such trap, but it was final test week on college, kinda like an anxiety purchase HAHAHA

3 hours ago, Mystic_Snake said:

In fact, I might have reacted too abruptly because indeed, like you said EA didn't warn anyone or not enough ahead of time that they will shutdown the servers for this game. I completely understood the anger of players here. I didn't know that fact and I just got lucky with this one but I would've been angry too. Sorry, I didn't know about the fact that EA did shut down like that without noticing everyone and my comment would've been less harsh. 

Just wanna point out that unfortunately, it's not easy to track every game that the server will shut down one day and we are dependent from the developers/editors. Plus, that you are aware that games with online trophy requirement can't last forever. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand players here, just that on my personal opinion, trophies are trophies and just to make us feel like we've done everything with a game and we are happy about it and we did a good challenge but at the end, there are just virtual. Just remind us that before the trophies era, we were just playing the story mode or the online few times, at least it was like that on my side. 

So, I obviously hope the developers will do something to fix or the server will be back online for players that couldn't get the two trophies. 

Apparently EA did announce server shutdown 3 months prior to doing it, that's more than what companies usually do.

Also, I agree with your first comment, is not even healthy to care much for trophies/achievements and the game stills playable.

I also understand that servers cost money and that is a business decision.

But I also think caring for consumers in the long run is not only good policy, but also a good business decision.

Mirror's Edge case is one of the less impacting cases around, actually. Of so little impact, EA is getting heat for nothing, they could have simply opted for not doing trophies/achievements for a server dependent feature on a single player game.

This is an industry issue, though.

Take Gran Turismo Sport, for instance. Server shutdown will block most of the game, and nobody knows if a patch will be released to unlock some stuff for offline use or something like it. I recall some of the game is only saved once online!

There are some games where you can only access the game once you are connected to servers.

So what happens when the company can't afford to maintain a server?

You pay for a game, but can't play? The mechanics of the game, and the cars, and npc AI are available with the content you have installed on your machine/console, but since the company won't keep a server, you can not play it anymore?

And I know I'm getting off track here, mentioning Gran Turismo Sport and all, since Mirror's Edge only get affected by two trophies, but I guess that's why I cared for Mirror's Edge. The issue is too stupid to ruin a part of the experience.

3 hours ago, Letenko said:

As much as I want to be cynical about this, I'm glad you didn't create a change.org petition or something similiar.

I don't think this will go anywhere, however when the servers for the Home Run gamemode in MoH: Warfighter went down me and a bunch of people did this same exact thing and it did get fixed. Whether by chance or by the bothering we put into the support rep, I couldn't say.

lol, no, just created a ticket to show discontentment about it. Like I said above, I really think companies should think features considering the long run.

I hate writing too much, I feel bad for it now, hehehe.

Hope you enjoy reading at least. :P

EDIT: btw, I mentioned "thinking about consumers in the long run as a good business decision" and "Gran Turismo Sport", because I really think these game design decisions directly affect the industry and future games sales. I bet a lot of people thinks twice before buying a game that will be worthless after some time.

Edited by WerneckH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, vegetollo7 said:

Echoing some of the previous replies from before, Catalyst was solid but I still prefer the original. The gameplay in Catalyst is good and they even added a few quality of life improvements to the running.

Sadly the story is forgettable and the soundtrack is not as good or as memorable as the first game. The open world was fine but again I prefer the more linear design of the first game.

I'm perplexed as to why they made the decision to reboot the franchise so soon after one game. Catalyst would have made much more sense as a sequel or even a prequel. Oh well, pretty sure the franchise is dead now regardless.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I’ve only played for a few hours thus far but I actually found it to be really enjoyable. The story, characters, and soundtrack hasn’t quite gripped me yet, but it’s interesting enough to hold my attention. I found the parkour and open world exploration to be quite a highlight so far.

I’m busy with a couple other projects I’m trying to finish before the end of the year but I’m looking forward to getting back on and getting the rest of the trophies. A lot of people seem to prefer the original Mirror’s Edge to Catalyst so I’m definitely going to have to check that out some time. It looks a bit more challenging and has a nice shiny UR plat too which is always a bonus.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I’ve only played for a few hours thus far but I actually found it to be really enjoyable. The story, characters, and soundtrack hasn’t quite gripped me yet, but it’s interesting enough to hold my attention. I found the parkour and open world exploration to be quite a highlight so far.

I’m busy with a couple other projects I’m trying to finish before the end of the year but I’m looking forward to getting back on and getting the rest of the trophies. A lot of people seem to prefer the original Mirror’s Edge to Catalyst so I’m definitely going to have to check that out some time. It looks a bit more challenging and has a nice shiny UR plat too which is always a bonus.

If you enjoy Catalyst you should definitely check out the original when you get a chance. 

One of the things that I love about Mirror's Edge is that the developers took a risk and tried something different. Plus I really enjoy the art design and overall aesthetic of the games.

And lastly I'm glad to have obtained the platinum for both games. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, WerneckH said:

Hope it does, some cases where it did.

Specially more for who got all achievements blocked than for me who only lost online trophies.

I laughed hard at the post, and maybe that was the reason I did mine.

HAHAHAHA

And this is the second time I ever did this, first and only other one being FIFA 12. That damn Euro DLC...

I do that. I have a second account I use for testing games, before I decide to play them for platinum.
If I won't, I play it whenever I feel like it on my second account.

Thing is, PS3 Devil May Cry 4 is still in my backlog after all these years.

Games with higher priority are PS Plus games, and games with online stuff to be done, trophy-wise.

I'll eventually play it before DMC5, for story reasons. I doubt I'm getting through every challenge and difficulty, though.

Too many games to play, and between work and study, I don't have the time for everything I want to play.

That's why I'm also leaving trophies after I complete the last challenge I set myself to do.

Trophies are part of the experience, but they consume too much.

Game and the series were way off my radar. Like I said above, too many stuff to play and I don't follow news from the game world.

For example, I learned about one-person-made games (and then small team games), and went on a binge around May getting games that were cheap and/or on sale.

That's how I learned how to find/track sales (https://psprices.com, by the way), and that's how I found Mirror's Edge again!

I got the game before server shutdown, and I usually do the research not to fall for such trap, but it was final test week on college, kinda like an anxiety purchase HAHAHA

Apparently EA did announce server shutdown 3 months prior to doing it, that's more than what companies usually do.

Also, I agree with your first comment, is not even healthy to care much for trophies/achievements and the game stills playable.

I also understand that servers cost money and that is a business decision.

But I also think caring for consumers in the long run is not only good policy, but also a good business decision.

Mirror's Edge case is one of the less impacting cases around, actually. Of so little impact, EA is getting heat for nothing, they could have simply opted for not doing trophies/achievements for a server dependent feature on a single player game.

This is an industry issue, though.

Take Gran Turismo Sport, for instance. Server shutdown will block most of the game, and nobody knows if a patch will be released to unlock some stuff for offline use or something like it. I recall some of the game is only saved once online!

There are some games where you can only access the game once you are connected to servers.

So what happens when the company can't afford to maintain a server?

You pay for a game, but can't play? The mechanics of the game, and the cars, and npc AI are available with the content you have installed on your machine/console, but since the company won't keep a server, you can not play it anymore?

And I know I'm getting off track here, mentioning Gran Turismo Sport and all, since Mirror's Edge only get affected by two trophies, but I guess that's why I cared for Mirror's Edge. The issue is too stupid to ruin a part of the experience.

lol, no, just created a ticket to show discontentment about it. Like I said above, I really think companies should think features considering the long run.

I hate writing too much, I feel bad for it now, hehehe.

Hope you enjoy reading at least. :P

EDIT: btw, I mentioned "thinking about consumers in the long run as a good business decision" and "Gran Turismo Sport", because I really think these game design decisions directly affect the industry and future games sales. I bet a lot of people thinks twice before buying a game that will be worthless after some time.

DMC4 was so great on PS3, the franchise got back incredibly and I felt like Dante got more charismatic and badass as a second character like MGS2 with Solid Snake.

Good luck with this game, anyway any DMC is not easy to achieve the platinum but the gameplay is so enjoyable and fun. 

Yeah this year, there were some excellent PS+ games and I didn't have a chance to play them at all because of my huge backlog...This is the same problem for every player anyway 😆

I'm totally agree about what you said about how developers/editors nowadays create games and require online connection with server to play a solo game. This is a real problem and you mentioned GTS which is the best example because when PoDi will shut down the server of this game, you will not be able to save your game even on your solo progress mode. And furthermore, what I don't like at all and there is a recent example, it's about Alan Wake 2. Just released digitally only so what if tomorrow, for the worst case, the PStore shutdown suddenly, so you can't buy the game even access it. Obviously, it will not happen because technology today is incredible robust and efficient. 

So today, this is a real problem about the consumers, us, players who are affected by the way the developers make game-design decisions about the saving progress with online and server requirements. 

53 minutes ago, vegetollo7 said:

If you enjoy Catalyst you should definitely check out the original when you get a chance. 

One of the things that I love about Mirror's Edge is that the developers took a risk and tried something different. Plus I really enjoy the art design and overall aesthetic of the games.

And lastly I'm glad to have obtained the platinum for both games. :)

Yes back then the release of the first game was amazing, I really loved the visual, the game design, the gameplay and I think this game was a precursor because many games after used the same gameplay for FPS such as Dead Island, Dying Light etc. 

I didn't understand the remake of the game actually and it was like the developers wanted to redo the original game in a different way but unfortunately, I felt like it was less done better. But I still liked it. It should've been a sequel like other here already said. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

Nailed it. Took less time than even I thought. 

Yeah, it's so crazy to not want content in a game removed and unobtainable. So unreasonable. Please kick me more mega corporations~ I am very smart unlike those silly whiners. 

I didn't even know it HAD online crap and just randomly heard from a youtube video mention of this shutting down and came to check and already missed the deadline. I put off playing this game because it looks disappointing as hell and I know the whole time I play I'll just be thinking of the original and how much I loved that one (esurance cutscenes aside). 

You may not play old games way later, but I sure as hell do. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I put off playing this game because it looks disappointing as hell

Then why put yourself through playing a game you are likely not to enjoy in the first place? I really don't get this attitude of having to play games just because they are about to shut down their online component. This fomo is unjustifiable.

Plus if you really want to play the game, you can always give it a shot and just ignore these two trophies. The game is not a masterpiece, but still a solid game that can be enjoyed properly. The content that got removed had literally no use other than getting these two trophies. You can also find the game at about 5 EUR or less during sales, so it's pretty much a steal.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I still play on my PS3, I love older games. However, I don't petition for servers to be brought back the day after they go down. With the online nature of gaming these days, they will ALL go down eventually. So yes, asking servers toto be maintained indefinitely is pretty unreasonable. I can still find enjoyment in my older games even if the servers are shut down. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Yeah, it's so crazy to not want content in a game removed and unobtainable. So unreasonable. Please kick me more mega corporations~ I am very smart unlike those silly whiners. 

I didn't even know it HAD online crap and just randomly heard from a youtube video mention of this shutting down and came to check and already missed the deadline. I put off playing this game because it looks disappointing as hell and I know the whole time I play I'll just be thinking of the original and how much I loved that one (esurance cutscenes aside). 

If you missed it, you missed it. I do think it's silly that there's online trophies in a single player game with no actually multiplayer mode. And yes, they should have somehow patched it or made a new requirement for the affected trophies. 

But trophy hunters need to realize that games are going to shut down their online functions and be ok with missing trophies if they don't stay on top of that stuff. 

And this post is equally hilarious because clearly you never had any intentions of playing this game until now that the online is shutdown, giving you a reason to never play it. 

I was going to finally check this out at such a cheap price on sale in the PS Store but not if the Platinum is now unobtainable.

To me, it's simple: if you can't keep servers up forever, fine, but don't lock trophies behind them. If the day comes a server shutdown is required, those respective trophies should be edited or removed entirely.

Oh well, maybe a day will come where that very thing happens for this one but I'm not optimistic. Until then, I guess I won't bother with this one.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, Antiristus said:

I hate this bullshit. I bought this thinking that it's unlikely to have any MP trophies. There was plenty of reasons to believe that. Fucking EA.

I mean, you could have spent two seconds on research to see that this wasn't the case. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Antiristus said:

I hate this bullshit. I bought this thinking that it's unlikely to have any MP trophies. There was plenty of reasons to believe that. Fucking EA.

Refund it if you haven't started yet

2 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I mean, you could have spent two seconds on research to see that this wasn't the case. 

There's the first corporate whiteknight, right on time.

1 hour ago, xh117 said:

Refund it if you haven't started yet

I doubt Sony will give a crap. But I guess I could try.

2 minutes ago, Antiristus said:

There's the first corporate whiteknight, right on time.

Nah, I don't think this game should have even had online trophies, as the two they have are pointless. That said, it is your fault for not checking if you care about trophies that much. 

Not sure why you care so much about this being unattainable when you already have a 33% completion rate. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Nah, I don't think this game should have even had online trophies, as the two they have are pointless. That said, it is your fault for not checking if you care about trophies that much. 

Not sure why you care so much about this being unattainable when you already have a 33% completion rate. 

Because I'm a trophy hunter. It's a hobby. Not sure why are you're yakking on this forum if you're not one.

And what exactly does my overall completion rate have to do with this, eludes me. If you look at those games, you will notice that most either have their online trophies secured and the ones that don't, are due to developer being shitty about the trophies and servers (Friday 13th, for example) or there simply was not enough time to spent every waking minute securing them.  And the ones that are just 1 % or something, don't have online and are there to basically remind me that I own those games, so I can finish them some day.