Server Shutdown - Dec 8th, 2023

Needles

3 hours ago, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

Hey there trophy hunters!

After doing some testing of completing this game three times offline recently (The first hour I was logged in to knock out the two online trophies, once obtained the rest of the game was completed offline after the mission "Mischief Maker"), I can confirm that Billboards are NOT tied to the Online Servers, the trophy "Fighting the System" was obtained offline with 11 Billboard Hacks and 4 Interventions. You are safe to do the Two Online trophies and leave it there to pick up at a later date, of course if you are still worried then by all means obtain the trophy or platinum, thankfully the game is not overly lengthy. 

Further confirmation for reassurance and clarity:

-Dashes can be done offline and are NOT tied to the servers in terms of earning the two relevant trophies.
-There does seem to be a fixed amount of Interventions, although I cannot 100% confirm as getting them to spawn initially can be finicky in its own right but never had the same one spawn more than once in that play-through, only in a nearby or slightly different area. 

If anyone has any questions please do reply to this or drop me a message and I'll do my best to help! :) 

@BlindMango, this needs adding to your Guide for this game please :).

On 11/7/2023 at 7:47 AM, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

After doing some testing of completing this game three times offline recently (The first hour I was logged in to knock out the two online trophies, once obtained the rest of the game was completed offline after the mission "Mischief Maker"), I can confirm that Billboards are NOT tied to the Online Servers, the trophy "Fighting the System" was obtained offline with 11 Billboard Hacks and 4 Interventions. You are safe to do the Two Online trophies and leave it there to pick up at a later date, of course if you are still worried then by all means obtain the trophy or platinum, thankfully the game is not overly lengthy. 

-Dashes can be done offline and are NOT tied to the servers in terms of earning the two relevant trophies.
-There does seem to be a fixed amount of Interventions, although I cannot 100% confirm as getting them to spawn initially can be finicky in its own right but never had the same one spawn more than once in that play-through, only in a nearby or slightly different area. 

If anyone has any questions please do reply to this or drop me a message and I'll do my best to help! :) 

thanks for the confirmation 

crisis averted 😁

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:47 AM, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

I think I witnessed interventions respawning because I ran into a few well after I was done actively searching for them in the same locations as I was doing cleanup for collecting.

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

You know I’ve actually played a Mirror’s Edge game… is this one any good? Since it’s on EA Play I thought I might use this shutdown as an excuse to give this on a whirl before it goes down. It looks pretty neat to me.

Not as good as the original, but good (at about 20% in). Combat is just annoying due to the open world resulting in less predictable enemy placement when in the open, though  combat is overall much slower (also, taking an enemy's weapon is no longer an option, so get ready for bringing your fists to a gunfight). Traversal is still good as ever. You have an in-game partner who is an arrogant shit, but is thankfully not relevant outside of cutscenes. Did not do any dashes yet, but they are reportedly not as tough as the original's time trials.  Story has the weird hiccup of being a sequel to the comic book, but that is not required reading unless you want to find out how Faith ended up in jail at the start.

Was it not for the Dante's Inferno servers being scheduled to shut off, I would have continued playing it and am sure to have enjoyed it. But, well, priorities.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Not as good as the original, but good (at about 20% in). Combat is just annoying due to the open world resulting in less predictable enemy placement when in the open, though  combat is overall much slower (also, taking an enemy's weapon is no longer an option, so get ready for bringing your fists to a gunfight). Traversal is still good as ever. You have an in-game partner who is an arrogant shit, but is thankfully not relevant outside of cutscenes. Did not do any dashes yet, but they are reportedly not as tough as the original's time trials.  Story has the weird hiccup of being a sequel to the comic book, but that is not required reading unless you want to find out how Faith ended up in jail at the start.

Was it not for the Dante's Inferno servers being scheduled to shut off, I would have continued playing it and am sure to have enjoyed it. But, well, priorities.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The original Mirror’s Edge on PS3 is one of those games I’ve been meaning to check out for years but just never got around to picking up a copy. I don’t know anything about Catalyst, but I was watching a platinum journey video about it this morning that mentioned the shutdown and the gameplay piqued my interest. Normally I wouldn’t feel much urgency to pick this up but with the servers closing and EA Play only being $5 for a month I was thinking ehh maybe I’ll give this a shot, or at the very least get the online stuff done.

I’ve been debating finishing Dante’s Inferno as well. I don’t really want another unobtainable PS3 DLC on my trophy list, but I’m not keen on doing those trials either as it’s been years since I last played. Boo for server shutdowns. 😫

15 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The original Mirror’s Edge on PS3 is one of those games I’ve been meaning to check out for years but just never got around to picking up a copy. I don’t know anything about Catalyst, but I was watching a platinum journey video about it this morning that mentioned the shutdown and the gameplay piqued my interest. Normally I wouldn’t feel much urgency to pick this up but with the servers closing and EA Play only being $5 for a month I was thinking ehh maybe I’ll give this a shot, or at the very least get the online stuff done.

I’ve been debating finishing Dante’s Inferno as well. I don’t really want another unobtainable PS3 DLC on my trophy list, but I’m not keen on doing those trials either as it’s been years since I last played. Boo for server shutdowns. 😫

As someone who played the original I liked it but the traversal mechanics was a nightmare you could spend hours just trying to wall run to a simple area and just fall cause it required so many finger snapping button combos that worked all of 25% of the time. I've played about 2 hours or so into catalyst and all that's mostly fixed still has you hitting several buttons they could have just streamlined into 2 buttons but at least I'm not wasting my life just trying to get up a wall lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still needing the online trophies I would encourage you to get them now rather than drag it out any longer. My connection to the server has been in and out all day, I have not had this issue until today. For about an hour or so while playing, it wouldn't even connect. Maybe it's an isolated issue, just giving everyone a heads up if it isn't.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

Silly question but how much "skill" is required to get these 2 trophies? Specifically I'm wondering it I can use remote play + mobile phone to do this or if the game is more technically demanding and definitely needs a controller

Not much. The ability to do them opens early in the game, getting there requires a little skill. This is a platformer involving timed jumps, using a phone will give you a much harder time. But even if you are terrible without a proper controller, getting there is easy enough, maybe needs a few tries in one section evading armed guards.

The online trophies themselves involve:

a) picking up a glowing red beacon lying on the ground somewhere in a marked area

b) walking from point a to point b

Difficulty depends on the challenge in question, but there are plenty easy ones placed just so people can get the trophies. The first running "challenge" I found just had me  walk two steps forward.  If you find a hard one, just find another.

If you already progressed that far in the game  and just need those two trophies: 0/10.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadaik said:

Not much. The ability to do them opens early in the game, getting there requires a little skill. This is a platformer involving timed jumps, using a phone will give you a much harder time. But even if you are terrible without a proper controller, getting there is easy enough, maybe needs a few tries in one section evading armed guards.

The online trophies themselves involve:

a) picking up a glowing red beacon lying on the ground somewhere in a marked area

b) walking from point a to point b

Difficulty depends on the challenge in question, but there are plenty easy ones placed just so people can get the trophies. The first running "challenge" I found just had me  walk two steps forward.  If you find a hard one, just find another.

If you already progressed that far in the game  and just need those two trophies: 0/10.

Makes sense, thanks for the info!

On 8/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, DN91 said:

A few hours ago they discounted this game, at least on the European PS Store. 

It's just €5 now and I highly suggest you to grab it and do those 2 trophies.

I only played the first game and it was an amazing experience, can't wait to check this one out. 

This one is way worse, so don't get your hopes up.

51 minutes ago, Samurai_SNAAAKE said:

This one is way worse, so don't get your hopes up.

Already platted it, it's not bad tbh but it's not as good as the 1st game. The original Mirror's Edge had more challenge to it, its platinum was a real platinum that you had to put some effort in order to get it. Catalyst has no challenge, but it has those annoying "collect 69.420 pieces of shit scattered around the map" kind of trophies

• Haha 1

What's the bare minimum number of trophies I'm looking at popping here if I wanted to knock out the 2 online? It would be 2 + how many? 

I am very close to trophy #9,000 and wanted it to be one from Diablo 2 but there's no way I'm getting the milestone before this server shutdown. I have slight wiggle room...wondering if I can pull off the ME trophies and still synch up my milestone. 

Help is appreciated! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GunfighterHefty said:

What's the bare minimum number of trophies I'm looking at popping here if I wanted to knock out the 2 online? It would be 2 + how many? 

I am very close to trophy #9,000 and wanted it to be one from Diablo 2 but there's no way I'm getting the milestone before this server shutdown. I have slight wiggle room...wondering if I can pull off the ME trophies and still synch up my milestone. 

Help is appreciated! 

Minimum should be 2+ 4, so 6 overall. 4 trophies from the first 4 missions, just stay away from all side missions, don't pick up collectibles, and don't buy a secondary upgrade.

agree that the biggest piece of advice is to find a different challenge if the first one you find isn't just a couple of steps forward. I spent quite awhile trying to get one that was really high up in the air by almost no buildings around it, I assume a fair amount of the ones put down recently are probably on the easier side though