Xbox Leaks (Microsoft aims to buy Nintendo & Valve, Game Pass needs 100 million by 2027/30 or Microsoft will exit Gaming, Seemingly came close to buying Sega)

Rozalia1

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

because in the long run i wont be gaming, i have money to adapt to whatever situation arises, and i don't like those goofs at Nintendo with their bitch ass 720/1080p bullshit. 

So if you stop gaming in like 20 years or so the whole industry could die with you? That's a hot take. And regarding Nintendo: Making games with a resolution below 1080p is bad how? I'll take every Tears of the Kingdom like game over any 4K title without substance.

• Like 3

:hmm:

Microsoft has a strange love for acquisitions lately, but there's no way the third place console manufacturer would ever buy out Nintendo (a far more popular and successful console brand that basically prints money) or Valve (the most popular PC "brand" by a mile).  While other companies aren't so fixated on buying their way to success, I'm sure there's skeletons in literally every higher ups closet that we'll never see.  I can't really hold any of this against Microsoft or Xbox.  We already knew they wanted to buy everything in sight.  The fact they're talking about bigger acquisitions behind the scenes is neither a surprise or a concern in my mind.

Unfortunate for them though, that probably at least a few years worth of hype and marketing got exposed overnight.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Ashande said:

That’s been Microsoft’s strategy since Day 1. Infiltrate market -> Cannibalize ideas/tech until reaching critical mass -> Force original market members out, usually violently -> Buy up and cannibalize the pieces -> Alter market rules to inherently favor them and keep others out -> Repeat. With the occasional dose of “oh, sure we’ll play nice” contracts that they proceed to break and ignore as soon as it is no longer convenient, paying the bills with the shells of the companies they gutted along the way.

They literally have a strategy for it called Embrace. Extend. Extenguish and their current strategy in gaming is following it by the letter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

I really hope this doesn't go through. Having more direct competition is always better for consumers. I have never played a single Nintendo game in my life, but the fact that they are relevant and a competitor of both Sony and Microsoft gives us more choice on the games and hardware we can use.

From a purely personal point I'm also just tired of Microsoft throwing money around, buying up studios to have their games solely on their own console and PC. Bethesda being a prime example since now we know the new Elder Scrolls won't come to Playstation, I assume Fallout will be the same. Don't get me wrong, it's a genius business idea l, I'm just salty about not being able to play those games on my console of choice.

• Like 3

I hope Apple somehow replaces Microsoft among the Big 3. They’re so fucking redundant now to the progress of good gaming. Nintendo’s rumoured next console tracks to be Sony’s only real competition for the next 5-7 years. 

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

I think people need to remember these documents are from 2020 and the talk of a Nintendo acquisition doesn't seem to be much more than a conversation between a few higher ups.  A conversation that reads, to me, like there's a healthy dose of wishful thinking.

Microsoft isn't buying Nintendo... :lol:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I think people need to remember these documents are from 2020 and the talk of a Nintendo acquisition doesn't seem to be much more than a conversation between a few higher ups.  A conversation that reads, to me, like there's a healthy dose of wishful thinking.

exactly. from 2020. If MS was going to buy them, they would have by now. Not to mention, Nintendo even said they wouldn't sell.

I wish they would but i personally don't like Nintendo. They need to ditch 1080p. That being said, its amazing how some people here see one email and lose their minds 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Let's stay on topic

7 minutes ago, CrimsonVoidGX said:

Isnt the reveal of the specs of the future models/generations of Xbox really bad for Microsoft? Now Sony and Nintendo now what to expect and may adjust the specs of their future consoles. 

I'm pretty sure that all of the platform holders already know what the others are up to before each generation begins. They may not know every last detail, but they certainly know rough specs and the estimated price that each machine will launch with, and possibly some of the features as well, and have done since the dawn of consoles. So no, I don't think it's necessarily bad for Microsoft, and things will likely change in the 5-6 years before it's due to launch anyway. Don't get me wrong, no company wants confidential information leaking out especially in this manner, but I don't think what has been leaked is world ending. It might lead to a few changes in long-term plans and some questions being asked but I think they'll be fine. It's embarrassing more than anything else. 

6 minutes ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

Lmao people really claiming that they are part of a business monopoly....... you know it's 2023 not 1923 I'm pretty sure your government might have an issue with that internet tough guy (the same person who has openly admitted to saying stuff and when asked for clarification they say "i have no idea what i was trying to say"

The US government (the one I assume you’re referencing; if I’m incorrect, please let me know) has, for whatever reason, frequently allowed Microsoft to slide on antitrust and monopolization situations. On the rare occasions where Microsoft was actually censured, MS smiled, said “sure, boss, I’ll do as I’m told,” then went ahead and broke the terms anyway only to laugh their ass all the way to the bank after paying the slap-on-the-wrist fines they incurred in the process.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I'm pretty sure that all of the platform holders already know what the others are up to before each generation begins. They may not know every last detail, but they certainly know rough specs and the estimated price that each machine will launch with, and possibly some of the features as well, and have done since the dawn of consoles. So no, I don't think it's necessarily bad for Microsoft, and things will likely change in the 5-6 years before it's due to launch anyway. Don't get me wrong, no company wants confidential information leaking out especially in this manner, but I don't think what has been leaked is world ending. It might lead to a few changes in long-term plans and some questions being asked but I think they'll be fine. It's embarrassing more than anything else. 

The problem is less with competition knowing their secrets, and more likely they want to strategically announce these things to maintain a certain level of hype and interest in their products.  Keeps consumers interested, keeps them relevant, makes everyone at Microsoft happy.  Marketing is incredibly important, and expensive, these days.

Now that the consumers know about all this stuff, there's no strategy to it.  They might as well announce it all now and watch the competition dominate the headlines over the next few years with their own developments.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

It would have to be an irrefusable offer to entice Nintendo to sell to begin with otherwise they have no reason to consider selling. Nintendo has been around since the 1800's and has been a staple Japanese business since then and madly successful. Selling to an American company would be sacrilege. It would be like Ford selling to Toyota. 

That number would have to be HUGE and I don't see Microsoft willing to eat that cost just to compete with Sony in the media market. It's a desperate pipe dream from some suits in corporate. The first solution always in American capitalistic corporate structure is to just buy out any competition because that's the easiest solution especially when you have basically endless capital to play with like Microsoft does. 

I have enough faith in Nintendo that they have integrity in their business and wouldn't sell to a bullish competitor just for money. A corrupt, American one at that. They're not that stupid. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Business acquisitions don't happen out of the blue despite what people think, they take time, years even sometimes. The email even outlines a desire to do a hostile takeover and those don't happen instantly usually

3 minutes ago, majob said:

Business acquisitions don't happen out of the blue despite what people think, they take time, years even sometimes. The email even outlines a desire to do a hostile takeover and those don't happen instantly usually

If you want to believe it's happening, that's up to you.  I'm sure it gives you something interesting to talk or think about.  Nothing in that email sounds like more than wishful thinking to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If you want to believe it's happening, that's up to you.  I'm sure it gives you something interesting to talk or think about.  Nothing in that email sounds like more than wishful thinking to me.

Did you read the email? Spencer mentions that MS is already purchasing stock and looking for avenues for a hostile takeover if possible. Yes I believe it's happening because this is quite literally what MS does, their bread and butter is buying out the competition if they can't strong arm them out.

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Didn’t Nintendo laugh them out if the room the last time? I don’t think we have to worry.

This isn't quite the truth that people think it is. Nintendo actually seriously considered the offer but then the old head Sakamoto said No and that was that.

Edited by majob

5 minutes ago, majob said:

Did you read the email? Spencer mentions that MS is already purchasing stock and looking for avenues for a hostile takeover if possible. Yes I believe it's happening because this is quite literally what MS doesn, their bread and butter is buying out the competition if they can't strong arm them out.

This isn't quite the truth that people think it is. Nintendo actually seriously considered the offer but then the old head Sakamoto said No and that was that.

Regardless, I imagine it wouldn’t be as simple as buying a US company. More hoops to jump through. Whenever Activision is done, guessing they don’t do anything audacious for a while to make sure the heat is off. And Spencer even admits there’s lots of hurdles. Anyway, may be stupid of me, but not losing sleep on this one.

Edited by MidnightDragon