Jim Ryan is retiring from PlayStation

JPtheNeurotic

6 hours ago, dimonemt said:

See what i'm talking about here? Why are you so hellbent on this one, singular, particular thing, as if Jim Ryan's whole legacy is dependent on it. The guy showed pattern of behavior that you can't deny. Being CEO is a tough job, i understand that, sometimes mistakes are made, apologies are needed etc. Maybe PlayStation being commanding market leader played a role in it i don't know, but under his leadership Sony has become arrogant. I remember watching Digital Foundry's video about Rachet and Clank Rift Apart - the most premium PS5 game to date running very well on the cheapest/slowest SSD drive that was not even suitable for PS5 games according to PlayStation, and thinking what if all of that extra money that went into this useless super fast drive instead went into things like backwards compatibility or into developing better social features in the PS5 for example. Heck, you can't even get basic bluetooth in some of the Sony's newest products that were developed under Jim Ryan's leadership, so yeah, this was all definitely Microsoft's fault.

Because it helps make the point that you, and others like you, base your hate on lies and misconceptions. How long now have you been dropping that 'generations' comment as a negative thing? You know that you were wrong and there was nothing wrong with it, but still do not have the good graces to just admit it. This new comment you've made is just full of more simply wrong reasons to hate Jim Ryan.

Arrogant? Did Sony state that Microsoft wasn't even competition and they were playing with the actual big boys Google/Amazon? Did they remark that companies, large successful ones (more successful than themselves even), would be better under Sony than independent... they just didn't know it yet? Did he remark that their console had the POWER and then order a bunch of online goons to spread FUD about the competitor and how they sucked? Did Jim Ryan often go on a media tour themselves badmouthing the competition? Guess who actually did all that? Come on now. Jim Ryan was humble and ignored almost every opportunity to even show any opinion on the competition, and you're calling him arrogant for it? Ridiculous. The exception of course being the ABK court case where, and this may shock you, Jim Ryan's job itself made it so he had to make the comment as it was his duty, and even then he didn't go on some media tour about it.

Digital Foundry are Microsoft stooges for a start (Microsoft gives them exclusive access they don't want to lose). Their recent comments by the way is that Microsoft should be asking third parties why they are enforcing parity between Series X and PS5, because they still want to promote the idea that the Series X is clearly more powerful so clearly some conspiracy every third party and you know, Microsoft's own 1st party, are all in on. As for the matter of the SSD drive... just so much wrong. This is what I mean by people thinking that as Jim Ryan is boss he does every single job at the same time. Jim Ryan had nothing to do with the designing of the PS5. Mark Cerny was the designer. Jim Ryan's only involvement would be okaying what Cerny put forward for funding (you'd rather what? He meddled with Cerny's work?), and considering how long these things are in the works it is possible it wasn't even Jim Ryan who got to do that. Then there is the fact that the SSD that PlayStation is using is key to how well they've been performing as it is what makes up Microsoft's extra power (while being far cheaper), and for consumers is also cheaper as they aren't proprietary (you looked at the difference in price between SSDs for PS5 and for Series X?). Attacking Jim Ryan on the PS5's SSD is not only stupid as he had nothing to do with it, but if had then it was the best move ever so you have absolutely no idea what you're even talking about.

As for the rest. Social huh. You can save hour long videos on PS5. How does Microsoft do by comparison? 

Speaking of resolution, the quality of a clip dictates how long the clip can be. Unfortunately, the longest a clip on Xbox Series X | S can be is 5 minutes at 720p. 1080p captures are 2 minutes at most. 4K captures can only be 30 seconds long.

The above is dated 2020 and I can't find newer, so it might have been improved since then but last I heard (some days ago) is still terrible. It also doesn't allow voice chat to recorded with the video either, and did they ever allow you to directly upload to YouTube? Discord is also a big deal these days. Remind me who did it right on the console (Xbox had it first, but it was for 'insiders' and wasn't full integration). So yeah, PlayStation has better Social than Xbox and you're attacking them on it? Come on now.

Backwards compatibility is the one thing you have a shred of a point. Jim Ryan's view was that it was a feature often demanded, but actually not all that used. However, due to Premium we've now seen PlayStation not only restart their work on a PS2 emulator, but they have been putting out PS1/PSP games. Could be faster? Sure, but it is happening and they likely have to slow it anyway for financial reasons. By comparison Microsoft did their much promoted backwards compatibility for PR reasons which they since dropped once the point was made and it was no longer worth carrying on. Their plan is also to move to a completely digital platform to render that work useless anyway, while PlayStation is having an addon that will allow you to play Physical games. Oh, then you have the fact that PlayStation games are playable straight off the disc and give you whatever version the disc is of. On Xbox meanwhile discs are often useless as they don't contain the full game, and even if they do, it'll be the Series S version as far as I know.

As for Bluetooth or whatever. You're likely just wrong again anyway, but even if you were correct, once again, that is not something that Jim Ryan is involved in.

Hate Jim Ryan if you want, but actually do so on good ground. Not this absolute load of bunkum. Now will you learn better from this? Or are you going to, after being shown up to be wrong on these points of yours continue to hold on to them?

5 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

He made some good decisions and he made some bad ones. Thing is, for us, that's all subjective. Just because you don't like a certain decision doesn't make it "omg evil boss Jim is killing PlayStation". Every decision made had a reason and likely had market research to back it.

The guy stated his reason for retiring, and obviously we always want the next guy to do better than the previous. The hate bandwagon feels like a vocal minority because if his decisions were actually bad, he would've been removed.

I disagree that he's leaving PlayStation "doing better than ever" because of the ongoing M$ buyouts taking away longstanding IPs.  Even though there's likely little he could've done, I feel the "high road" lack of response left a bad taste in most people's mouths.  Would've preferred more punch from Jim during all of this, but that's me.

Hopefully his successor can hold the line long enough for M$ to exit the market or sell Xbox to someone that'll run it as a proper company

PlayStation fans like Nintendo fans are certainly demanding. Can be annoying at times but clearly seems to lead to good things ultimately. By comparison Xbox gets ran like a cult where management, with their decade+ of failure, need to be defended at all costs. They're always good guys, if forced to admit any fault then it was all Mattrick, and all the evil in the world is the fault of big bad Sony.

Biting back against Microsoft's nonsense does come with it's own risks. Microsoft have the media largely on their side to them either being straight up goons or not wanting to lose access/gifts from Microsoft. They also have their astroturfing machine which you can see in this very thread has clearly mislead some people successfully. With Jim Ryan having a damaged reputation as a result of those efforts and some gaffs he has made (he has admitted to not being a great public speaker), taking the high road was likely the best move. We all saw that the moment he commented on the ABK case (as he had a duty to) we got a flood of 'Jim Ryan is a crying liar' and all that astroturfed. Still, I'm with you that hopefully the next leader will have punch and simply instantly overcomes whatever dirty tactics Microsoft tries to respond with. Media goons no doubt will put out that Sony is 'going console wars', completely ignoring everything that Xbox has been doing since the day they got into consoles, but if you make a strong enough case then people won't fall for such efforts.

12 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Digital Foundry are Microsoft stooges for a start

"Sigh", ah yes this again, everything is a conspiracy and everyone is out to get Sony and their saint soon to be former CEO, I've heard it all before from you. I guess that's the world that you are living in, right, and nothing could be said or done now once you are in a conspiracy mode. But I'll try: there are folks like myself, who have been gaming on PlayStation for a long time, who did not like Jim Ryan's leadership and wanted him to be gone, and now that we know that he will be out soon, we are happy about it. Simple. There is no need to try explain to us your worldview. Please admit that people with opinions that are different from yours have right to exist and move on.

Edited by dimonemt
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, dimonemt said:

"Sigh", ah yes this again, everything is a conspiracy and everyone is out to get Sony and their saint soon to be former CEO, i've heard it all before from you. I guess thats the world that you are living in, right. I guess nothing could be said or done now once you are in a conspiracy mode. But i'll try: there are folks like myself, who have been on PlayStation for a long time, who did not like Jim Ryan's leadership and wanted him to be gone, and now that we know that he will be out soon, we are happy about. Simple. There is no need to try explain to us your worldview. Please admit that people with opinions that are different from yours have right to exist and move on.

Just no integrity whatsoever. Right, just a conspiracy theorist. Jim Ryan not having anything to do with all of those things you malign him for is a conspiracy too I'm sure. As for Microsoft, they've been caught astroturfing numerous times and the work their agents do is hardly hard to spot. As for the gaming media... I'm sure that woman for example (many others) that received 7 Xboxes got them out of the kindness of Microsoft's heart and not obviously to prime her to speak nicely about Microsoft at all times to keep the gifts rolling in.

No. Just because you have an opinion doesn't give you the right to just put out lies unquestioned. What you put out was lies and I took you apart for it. If you had integrity you'd thank me for clearing it all up and that while you still didn't like Jim Ryan (nothing wrong there), you'll dislike him on what he has actually done and not lies. Instead we get this, which is an attempt to pass me off as crazy and hence everything I've said is wrong by default. Something which is 101 when it comes to agent work be it for Microsoft or anyone else. Target people who can dismantle the narratives to where they either get banned or stop being trusted. Of course, I'm not saying that is what you are, but if you have zero integrity while putting out these narratives it ultimately makes little difference.

You've said your lies and I've dismantled them. People can judge who was right or wrong on that, and it may shock you, but the person who refuses to address things when called out on their lies tends to do not do well on such viewing. It also ain't hard to realise that you haven't been able to challenge me on a single point that I've made. Thank you for your time. Saying that Jim Ryan gets heavily unfairly maligned would just be words, but thanks to you everyone has an example to look at. Have a good day.

2 hours ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

What do you mean by “ideology” in this context? 🤔

This was something I noticed with suits like Shawn Layden but there was this main character syndrome of American exceptionalism that goes hand-in-hand with veiled nationalism. There was this overt priority on American creatives over the international, even when that included third party games.

Studios closed during the Jim Ryan/Hulst era:

PixelOpus  (USA)

Japan Studio (consolidated to ASOBI)

Studios closed during the Layden era:

Evolution Studios  (UK)

Guerilla Cambridge (UK)

Studio Liverpool (UK)

Bigbig Studios (UK)

Manchester Studio (UK)

It felt like blue MAGA (which is barely different from the original counterpart) that serves as a cynical cover of double standard racism which third party Japanese and first-party UK developers went through. Shutting Evolution was a big mistake when they delivered a racing game that was superior to GT Sport in the end. All those talented developers, sacrificed. But I suppose someone had to be rushed to deliver PS4's flagship racing game until Polyphony got off its butt.

https://x.com/WilliamRAguilar/status/1707189299379380294?s=20

The above sums it up pretty well.

Jim Ryan's Achievements As President of PlayStation:

🔵 Oversaw the final development stage of the PlayStation 5 from Prototype to Release

🔵 Expanded PlayStation 1st Party Studios to be 2-3x larger with most now working on 2-3 different unannounced games simultaneously

🔵 Transitioned PlayStation 1st Party Studios' focus to currently developing more Multiplayer Games and filling gaps in genre portfolio, thereby making PS less reliant on 3rd Party Games, while also continuing to make the types of Single Player games that PS Fans love!

🔵 Oversaw 1st Party Acquisitions of:

Housemarque (Returnal)

Nixxes (Ports)

Valkyrie (Support)

Firesprite (VR & Upcoming Horror Game)

BluePoint (Demons Souls Remake)

Haven (Upcoming Fairgame$)

Bungie (Destiny & Upcoming Marathon)

Firewalk (Upcoming FPS Concord)

🔵 Grew 2nd Party Partnerships:

Kojima (DS2)

ShiftUp (StellarBlade)

Arrowhead (Helldivers 2)

Team Ninja (Rise of the Ronin)

UltiZero (Lost Soul Aside)

China Hero Project

India Hero Project

& More!

🔵 Strengthened 3rd Party Exclusives:

Square Enix (Final Fantasy)

Capcom (RE4 Remake for PSVR2)

Konami (Silent Hill 2 Remake)

CyGames (Gran Blue Fantasy Relink & Project Awakening)

EmberLab (Kena Bridge of Spirits)

& More!

🔵 Revised PS+ & PSNow into a new PS+ Subscription Service with a GameCatalog that adds HQ AAA games every month including 1st Party Games 1-2 Years after launch & Classic Games Added Backwards Compatibly from PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, & PSP available for Download & Streaming!

🔵 Took a "Let the Games Do The Talking" Approach to Videogame Marketing, meaning: Less Talking, Less Interviews, Less BS Hype, Less Blowing Smoke & More Showing Great HQ Games When they are ready to be shown

🔵 Focused on Continuing to Make Bigger & Better HQ AAA Games

Jim Ryan worked for Sony for 30 Years and was there since the Beginning of of the original PlayStation. Despite the online controversy and criticism, Jim Ryan has made PlayStation the most profitable and stable segment of the entire Sony Company and made it more profitable than ever before. He has positioned PlayStation to be more diverse in game portfolio as upcoming games will include a greater focus on Multiplayer such as 1st Person Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, & 3rd Person CoOp Action Games. Jim Ryan has expanded almost all the 1st Party Studios to be 2-3x larger than when he took over as President of PlayStation in 2019 so that the studios can work on developing 2-3 different games at the same time with the long term goal that is on track to be fulfilled of tripling the amount of PlayStation 1st Party Games for the PS5 Generation compared to the PS4 Generation. 

Jim Ryan's positioning of PlayStation via studio growth and acquisitions will have a long term positive effect on the PlayStation Brand a decade after his retirement well into the PS5 and PS6 generations.

Quibble over some details if you wish. I for one would certainly have wanted to have seen a Wild Arms 6 released for example, but Jim Ryan was a top level CEO and there is no arguing against that. The CEO isn't there to be your gamer friend, they're there to manage the business and keep the good games flowing.

1 hour ago, Tosmasta00 said:

Personally i'm glad Jim is gone. Now i really hope that not someone worse follows.

First order of buisness should be move back the HQ to Japan.

Followed by moving back PS+ prices. Or Adding a tier for only Deals, mp and cloud saves.

Nothing great came out from moving it to the US.

One of Jim Ryan's reasons for retiring is he really doesn't want to be in America so I doubt he had anything to do with moving the HQ over there. I'm sure if it was up to him he'd have it in the UK/Europe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

If you had integrity you'd thank me for clearing it all up and that while you still didn't like Jim Ryan (nothing wrong there), you'll dislike him on what he has actually done and not lies. Instead we get this, which is an attempt to pass me off as crazy and hence everything I've said is wrong by default.

All my reasons for disliking Jim Ryan's leadership are stated plainly in our conversations, there are a lot of them, not just one, and i do not share your view about how and why everything is happening the way it does in the industry, and i'm not interested in a debate over it.

Have a good day Roz.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Imagine saying this when Xbox is ran by Phil Spencer, who even if you believed his obvious fake persona before, is now completely exposed. The PlayStation brand is stronger than ever today while Xbox's has only grown weaker under Spencer's reign of failure.

What? You think I'm some die hard Xbox fanboy or something? Firstly the Series X is the first Xbox I've owned since the original came out (which I hated and was used as a dvd player) Secondly I've been with PlayStation since day one. I skipped the PS2 gen as I was mostly a drunk teen/early twenties guy during that period. But I love the PS3. I got PS4, PS5 and PSVita day one. The only Playstation console I've not liked is the PSP. I just couldn't get on with that system for some reason.

The whole fanboy thing is beyond stupid too. A true gamer will play games they enjoy anywhere and everywhere they can. Brand loyalty? You think these companies care about you? They will fuck you over at every opportunity they can. Some of you on here would bend over and take it too. It's stupid. It really is.

Also what's with the Jim Ryan love from you? Are you his wife or something? That guy cared about shareholders. He was good for them not the players.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

With a bow mostly too. Can't forget the bow 😉

The regular soyny exclusive is not much different than any ubisoft game. They're usually 3rd person, huge open world with stealth elements, rpg elements, crafting, bloated with collectibles and repetitive side stuff that you forget what the main story was about.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

The regular soyny exclusive is not much different than any ubisoft game. They're usually 3rd person, huge open world with stealth elements, rpg elements, crafting, bloated with collectibles and repetitive side stuff that you forget what the main story was about.

Yup. Most triple AAA games are doing the same things too

34 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

What? You think I'm some die hard Xbox fanboy or something? Firstly the Series X is the first Xbox I've owned since the original came out (which I hated and was used as a dvd player) Secondly I've been with PlayStation since day one. I skipped the PS2 gen as I was mostly a drunk teen/early twenties guy during that period. But I love the PS3. I got PS4, PS5 and PSVita day one. The only Playstation console I've not liked is the PSP. I just couldn't get on with that system for some reason.

The whole fanboy thing is beyond stupid too. A true gamer will play games they enjoy anywhere and everywhere they can. Brand loyalty? You think these companies care about you? They will fuck you over at every opportunity they can. Some of you on here would bend over and take it too. It's stupid. It really is.

Also what's with the Jim Ryan love from you? Are you his wife or something? That guy cared about shareholders. He was good for them not the players.

That is a lot of words for not actually addressing what you've quoted. You made a statement. I noted how ridiculous your statement was. Nothing more. If you wish to argue that the PlayStation brand has gone to crap while talking up Xbox's, then go ahead, people do enjoy comedy.

What are you on about? I pointed you out for being factually wrong and you're now going on about 'true gamers' and bad mouthing everyone else. Just so you know, this whole thing where you talk about all the PlayStations you've used so clearly you're not a fanboy? Doesn't cut the mustard mate. There is a reason the astroturfers like to use that one, because it puts down others while promoting yourself as some unbiased figure. You're not sunshine sorry. As before with someone else in another thread, all companies are not the same. There are levels to all of this.

More meaningless generic talk. What is 'good for the players'? Good games right? Now under whose management has released better games? Spencer or Ryan? No personal thoughts please, just talk facts.

Edited by Rozalia1

14 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

He is an interim CEO.

I do admit I had initially missed that part of the statement and had to go back to find it, mea culpa. Still, for now, he is Jimbo's successor anyway, and, from what I've been seeing of him and his "obsession with growth", he is indeed just another executive focused on making money (as are all of them; you get what I mean, though), but now Japanese instead of British.

Which is why it's especially egregious to see all the Japanophiles being awestruck about this (just my luck that, after I said they seemed to be gone this time around, they popped up) like anything's actually gonna change in practice. But I guess the remote chance of being able to see more underage characters'--ahem, sorry, I forget they're actually bajillion-year-old--cleavage or something is what truly matters, innit?

Why is there so much hate for Jim? Okay I haven't read every comment but isn't playstation in the best place its ever been with PS5 tracking well above PS4 despite a two year window where it was hard to get one and the volume at top tier first party games in his tenure has been amazing 

Sony is just going to hire another suit for the job and business will continue as usual, that business being extracting money from your bank account, whoever they hire won't be your friend or a 'gamer' they'll be someone who tries to get you to part with your money  

On 9/27/2023 at 6:53 PM, Taliesin_2943 said:

Does this mean the end of all the censorship?

Unlikely, i think it was not coming from Jim Ryan, but from his bosses in Japan. We'll be able to see whether or not they are still in the mood for censoring games fairly soon. It was said by it's creator that Immortality will come to PS5, and it comes with boatload of content warnings, and can be pretty intense sometimes. I'm keeping close eye on this game, and worrying that i could be impacted by this censorship bs.